Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
actually is that even possible now?

I don't think that giving merk or Mills a kill is hugely helpful Trill. If they're town then they'll probably hit town anyway and I dunno if that would exactly be helpful to case-making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Any way you look at it you have two uninformed d1 kills. I'd rather they both give information about who has scummy reasoning. That is why PMom's way is the absolute worst.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We're seeing the first flip before we decide on who to dunk! The second kill is not uninformed.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Somberbrero posted:

Hi give me the kill please.

Sure! If everyone arms me I'll certainly give somber the kill!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

True and Real posted:

Any way you look at it you have two uninformed d1 kills. I'd rather they both give information about who has scummy reasoning. That is why PMom's way is the absolute worst.

Don't you think that using the gun in a majority-rules fashion (requiring people to actively state who they want to shoot) is better than giving it to one person who either (a) doesn't know who scum is or (b) is scum themselves?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

People can shittily explain their reasoning as ever. Who they choose to shoot is interesting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Arming someone without knowing that they'll do is anti-town.

This is wrong.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Hi give me the kill please.

Sure, ##arm somb.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Don't you think that using the gun in a majority-rules fashion (requiring people to actively state who they want to shoot) is better than giving it to one person who either (a) doesn't know who scum is or (b) is scum themselves?

Using the gun in a majority-rules fashion gives us more information, but not as strong information as having the player who is given the gun use it however the hell they see fit. I'd rather learn strong information about the player given the gun.

We also don't have enough time to use the gun in a quality majority fashion and then get out a quality majority-based lynch. It would be the best possible scenario for us to get someone the gun in like the next six hours, talk about what that person should do for an hour or so, and then have that person fire a shot. After that happens, we can use the information to help drive today's lynch until the deadline.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The gun is being given tonight at 8 PM EST, in nine hours, there's no provision in the rules Byers posted for it to be given earlier.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

The gun is being given tonight at 8 PM EST, in nine hours, there's no provision in the rules Byers posted for it to be given earlier.

Oh, welp. I thought it was majority for some reason.

Give the gun to me. I will use it in the most pro-town manner which everyone can probably agree. You also might learn something about my alignment based on what I do.

I promise that I will not fire off a shot with a :smug: and no case. I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post. I also will do this probably 1-2 hours after receiving the gun, depending on my evening availability.

Give into my new attempt at playing mafia. Let me swing for the fences with this vig and a case.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

MMT is confirmed town, because this is exactly how I feel as well.

It seems like a lot of people are being hypocritical about this. If you believe that we should always lunch D1, for information, then a double lunch is double the information. Believing that people can explain away any vote is fundamentally at odds with believing you can catch scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie. posted:

It seems like a lot of people are being hypocritical about this. If you believe that we should always lunch D1, for information, then a double lunch is double the information. Believing that people can explain away any vote is fundamentally at odds with believing you can catch scum.

Deeeefinitely isn't. The lynch is most likely to help scum d1. There is a reason lights out and double lynch d1s are never, ever, EVER put in games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

D1 vig is common, though, because it effectively shortens true d1.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Diqnol, why haven't you voted to give me the gun?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Mills is a tougher read. You're my second choice.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ernie. posted:

:hi5:

I don't understand the sentiment that 1 lunch is fundamentally better than both 0 and 2 of them.

merk posted:

Oh, welp. I thought it was majority for some reason.

Give the gun to me. I will use it in the most pro-town manner which everyone can probably agree. You also might learn something about my alignment based on what I do.

I promise that I will not fire off a shot with a :smug: and no case. I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post. I also will do this probably 1-2 hours after receiving the gun, depending on my evening availability.

Give into my new attempt at playing mafia. Let me swing for the fences with this vig and a case.

I don't necessarily like this.

If you're town and shoot scum - which is the best case scenario - there's a good case you'd be NK'ed. From there on, the vig didn't really give much information. If you shoot town it becomes difficult to tell if you were wrong or are scum.

Why not give me the gun and then make a really good case on someone? That way we get your case, plus data on who agreed with it and who didn't.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm having trouble believing the argument that grandi is scum. What usually feels scummy to me is when someone gets really defensive and tries to point to someone else immediately as scum.

##vote Pmom

I like this post. It's very well reasoned, it doesn't shift the blame on Pmom (i.e. WELL HE DID A SCUMMY THING I HAD TO VOTE HIM), and it's still light-hearted.

Grandicap posted:

Oh, I am cool that you are being dismissive of that part. It was meant as a joke. The butt of the joke being my laziness in looking at your previous games. There is no reason for you to lie about something so trivial, that any number of people in this game could call you out about, or any number of people could look up easily.

I do not like that you are getting so worked up about it though. You are acting as if you are shutting down from a minute level of prodding. What's up?

Anyone who reads this post and still gives PMom the gun is something. It's so earnest and it strikes exactly the right balance between being reasonable and being curious that scum are usually too stressed to do.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I am trying to be more active today since I will be travelling tomorrow morning/afternoon and I don't want a repeat of THE BREACH.

YOU LIED, HAL

merk posted:

I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post.

I'm uncomfortable with merk's suggestion here. He makes a provision to use his gun in the scummiest way possible, i.e. allowing himself to manufacture an opinion and kill its target in one post.

This post seems too self-reliant to actually be taking the context of the game into account.

Mills posted:

##vote LM

Agreed.

>:\

Pinterest Mom posted:

I thought you were suspish, and then your extreme mafia-dadding "oh well that's a good response for a newbie to have" that also served as an eject button from a case that wasn't getting traction made me think you're scum, so that's when I voted.

I feel like everything Pin has said in this game has an inventedness air to it. This post especially. It feels like scum who's proud that they're in control of the mood of the game with a good case, reaping the advantages of the attention that's being paid to them as much as possible.

Poque posted:

so in this case, #arming you is just #voteing grandi. that's not unreasonable. It's pretty much just a shortcut way to do what MT is suggesting.

I don't know if that's what I want to do yet.

Poque posted:

that's plenty of time to decide on two people.

Poku's posts are good. They represent the ~true ideals of mafia~ well so I think it'll be difficult to read into them one way or the other. Null tell for now.
_____

Null on Somberbrero
_____

True and Real posted:

I think Pmom is about the worst person to give a gun to, presently.

Diqnol is probably very likely town this game. His entire game is based on getting reactions, and only nudging the thread away from PMom is consistent with that. It doesn't restrict the organic reactions the thread would have, but also doesn't give us more information about a known entity at this point (Pmom).

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 25, 2015

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

Here is what Mills is going to do:

Mills posted:

The World's Only Heart Player

##kill [random player]

Good luck getting a read from that.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Mills and Gulag are both equally as easy to read because they have the exact same scum game.

(not joking)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie. posted:

Mills and Gulag are both equally as easy to read because they have the exact same scum game.

(not joking)

merk posted:

Here is what Mills is going to do:

Good luck getting a read from that.

I don't think he would. But even if he did, he would be held accountable.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

I'm uncomfortable with merk's suggestion here. He makes a provision to use his gun in the scummiest way possible, i.e. allowing himself to manufacture an opinion and kill its target in one post.

This is the most pro-town way to use the gun. Not only do you get my decision on who to kill, you get as big of a case as possible of why I chose to kill that player. If I'm wrong, you get to pick apart my case to determine whether I'm wrong because I made up the case. You get immediate results regarding the success or failure of the case that I build.

To put it shortly, I'm making a case and then immediately making myself 100% culpable for whatever the results are of that case. How is that scummy of me?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

^^
Ernie. hosed around with this message at Feb 25, 2015 around 11:44

uh whoops

i had a double quote in there of diqnol's last post because my v button is sticky and pasted twice

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh, I had decided not to respond to Ernie but I disagree. Gulag is night and day from scum to town. Mills isn't.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm going to try to step back. If you don't give me the gun, that Ernie case is probably my big case for the day unless I see something better while lurking.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie didn't change the content of his post at all. Don't modkill him.

I wonder why he decided to put his read of me specifically at the end, though.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

This is the most pro-town way to use the gun. Not only do you get my decision on who to kill, you get as big of a case as possible of why I chose to kill that player. If I'm wrong, you get to pick apart my case to determine whether I'm wrong because I made up the case. You get immediate results regarding the success or failure of the case that I build.

To put it shortly, I'm making a case and then immediately making myself 100% culpable for whatever the results are of that case. How is that scummy of me?

To put it shortly, you're very conscious of how influential you are, and how difficult it is to actually lunch you, as self-quoted you know that you are among the least lunched players in our community. Yet, you insist on using your gun in a way that only harms you. If you don't see how that is a null-tell for you then you're intentionally misrepresenting yourself right now.

merk posted:

##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)

##vote merk rodeo time

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town on day 1 based on a general mafia argument
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument

This is a more persuasive version of my case.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Oh, I had decided not to respond to Ernie but I disagree. Gulag is night and day from scum to town. Mills isn't.

When they're scum they both defend their teammates relentlessly. Keep an eye out for it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie, why do you think MMT making an argument is indicative of town alignment, whereas me making the same argument (before her, and with more insistence) doesn't even rate a mention?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ernie, why do you think MMT making an argument is indicative of town alignment, whereas me making the same argument (before her, and with more insistence) doesn't even rate a mention?

It wasn't just her one post, but all of them. I disagree with almost all of her casing (I think she's talked about Grandi?) but she's done it in a way that's sincere and easy to follow. On the other hand, I disagree with almost all of your casing, but you've done it based on lines of logic that I don't think are sincere.

For example the relentless pursuit of Grandicap because he gave you a pass. Maybe later in the game that would be worth something but on a D1 I feel it's much more likely to be a personality quirk.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

Why do you need to have the gun to make a big case on someone? I don't see how immediately seeing if it was right or wrong is better than letting people react to what you say.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

For example the relentless pursuit of Grandicap because he gave you a pass.

That's not why I think Grandi is scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah.

Specifically, I'm being dismissive of the part where you say you will trust and not verify what I said about claiming VT, as if you're doing me a favour by believing me?

Isn't this the first post you made explaining your read on Grandi?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Ernie. posted:

^^
Ernie. hosed around with this message at Feb 25, 2015 around 11:44

uh whoops

i had a double quote in there of diqnol's last post because my v button is sticky and pasted twice

Friendly Mod Message

Remember not to edit posts. Watch the ninja, he's sneaky and will catch you!

Also, to address merk's comments earlier, the gun will be given out at 8 PM tonight, however if the number of people arming a single person hits majority (8), I will distribute the gun early. I'll go back to edit the previous post

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

When they're scum they both defend their teammates relentlessly. Keep an eye out for it.

Agreed.

I see your point on MT but I disagree about PM. I don't think he was doing that based on Grandi giving him a pass and I think it's weird that is all you got from him.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

To put it shortly, you're very conscious of how influential you are, and how difficult it is to actually lunch you, as self-quoted you know that you are among the least lunched players in our community. Yet, you insist on using your gun in a way that only harms you. If you don't see how that is a null-tell for you then you're intentionally misrepresenting yourself right now.

Diqnol and PMom, I want both of your opinions on what I said here.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No, it's the first post I made explaining my dismissive "yeah okay" post. You'll want to go up four posts in my post history to find the post where I first call grandi scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie. posted:

Diqnol and PMom, I want both of your opinions on what I said here.

Don't know if I agree or disagree just yet. To put it another way, yeah, I see your angle, but I still think the method merk described is better than PMom's.

• Locked thread