Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a Cricket outage? I lost internet since 2pm. Backup TMobile MVNO plan works fine. Downtown Brooklyn here. edit: never mind work now.

I checked Cricket and saw they gave me the 100 porting credit 3 days before the 2nd billing period.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

whatever7 posted:

Is there a Cricket outage? I lost internet since 2pm. Backup TMobile MVNO plan works fine. Downtown Brooklyn here. edit: never mind work now.

I checked Cricket and saw they gave me the 100 porting credit 3 days before the 2nd billing period.

Now that cricket has several proxy servers if there are any outages they are much more localized or you can also blame it on an AT&T outage in the area.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is Freedom pop considered a prepaid carrier? Does anyone here use it? I'm looking at the $19 unlimited plan. I'm currently on the T-Mobile geek plan. The unlimited plan comes with unlimited text, talk and data, but the 1st 1gb is 4g the rest is 3g. I have seen a few videos on YouTube and it seems like it just an app you run on Sprint android phones.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

b0nes posted:

Is Freedom pop considered a prepaid carrier? Does anyone here use it? I'm looking at the $19 unlimited plan. I'm currently on the T-Mobile geek plan. The unlimited plan comes with unlimited text, talk and data, but the 1st 1gb is 4g the rest is 3g. I have seen a few videos on YouTube and it seems like it just an app you run on Sprint android phones.

Are they the ones that use Sprint CDMA but have special phone software that uses WiFi voice and data whenever available?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAUXTON posted:

Are they the ones that use Sprint CDMA but have special phone software that uses WiFi voice and data whenever available?

I think you're describing republic wireless. FreedomPop may do similar but afaik they're known for having free service plans where you basically only pay tax for 500mb of data on a 4g hotspot or another piece of hardware that you buy from them. They're on Slickdeals a lot when they're selling off pre-owned equipment or refurbished things. Their business model seems to be to get you to use a paid plan by being hard to reach and requiring you to talk to a representative to switch off the paid plan you need to start with onto the free one.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Switched from T-Mobile nerd plan to Cricket. Coverage should be an improvement - at least theoretically. Neither one actually gets service AT my house though, but this is nothing new.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got my cricket Lumia 635 today and there isn't an internet sharing option. Anyway to activate this option? I used the new sim that they sent me so I wonder if I will be hosed when I put that back in my Z3c on tethering assuming it's blocked at the Sim level. Thoughts?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Got my cricket Lumia 635 today and there isn't an internet sharing option. Anyway to activate this option? I used the new sim that they sent me so I wonder if I will be hosed when I put that back in my Z3c on tethering assuming it's blocked at the Sim level. Thoughts?

It's only blocked at software level. Wifi hotspot works just fine on my N5 with a Cricket sim card. Other people had this same complaint with the Moto G LTE Cricket was selling too.

Don't know what you can do about unblocking it though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All devices bought from Cricket will have tethering turned off. If you bring your own device, tethering will not be affected.

I'm pretty glad too because I had to tether laptop to my phone just so I could check my bank last week and not use the hotel's public wifi. :v:

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I currently use a Nexus 5 with the t-mobile dork plan. In a month or so I'll be traveling (driving) into Canada and would prefer to be able to use my phone for navigation.

Are there any good options out there for temporary plans that have some data attached? Preferably one I could get the sim card shipped to me in the US.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Niyqor posted:

I currently use a Nexus 5 with the t-mobile dork plan. In a month or so I'll be traveling (driving) into Canada and would prefer to be able to use my phone for navigation.

Are there any good options out there for temporary plans that have some data attached? Preferably one I could get the sim card shipped to me in the US.

I've tried researching good plans up in Canada, but I just eventually gave up and just bought an LTE SIM card for Rogers from someone on eBay and just sucked up the cost. A lot of the prepaid options require having a base package (talk & text,) and then you can add data. I know with Rogers, you can just add a data add-on and do pay-per-minute/text, and Telus seems to be the same.

If you go with Rogers, their payment processing doesn't take American cards, so you will have to buy a prepaid card using cash - you can do so at any Rogers store, and a bunch of convenience stores, like Shoppers Drug Mart. Telus, to my understanding, does accept American cards, so they may be the better option, since you can set it up in advance.

You definitely want to check coverage maps for where you'll be, because unless you're in highly populated areas, it can be very spotty between carriers. If you'll be in the Toronto Area and the Niagara Peninsula, you can go with pretty much anyone, since they will all have great coverage.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does cricket use the exact same towers as at&t? In on a nexus 5 with cricket and the gf is on an iPhone 5s with at&t and she seems to be getting a bit better service - at least on bars of service.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Depends on the quality of the radios in your phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Massasoit posted:

Does cricket use the exact same towers as at&t? In on a nexus 5 with cricket and the gf is on an iPhone 5s with at&t and she seems to be getting a bit better service - at least on bars of service.

Those bars really mean nothing; different manufacturers have different values corresponding to those bars. Also, as mentioned, different radios in the phones etc.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Massasoit posted:

I've used both of the phones on Cricket and the iPhone always got better service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Venkmanologist posted:

I've used both of the phones on Cricket and the iPhone always got better service.

I would say it's a combination of hardware and software that makes that difference. The signal theoretically should be the same in the same spot, but if you've got an antenna with better gain or software that presents a given strength as more bars, then it'll appear better on that phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I would say it's a combination of hardware and software that makes that difference. The signal theoretically should be the same in the same spot, but if you've got an antenna with better gain or software that presents a given strength as more bars, then it'll appear better on that phone.

Yo. How's your Nexus 6 doing on Cricket?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

The N5 doesn't exactly have the best antenna/radio so it doesn't surprise me that the iPhone gets service and the N5 doesn't. It's something we Nexus owners just have to live with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yo. How's your Nexus 6 doing on Cricket?

I still have a nexus 5 :v: but it's doing well as far as the service goes. Lollipop is a bit of a cockup but it's decidedly separate from the quality of signal, which is good.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

SB35 posted:

The N5 doesn't exactly have the best antenna/radio so it doesn't surprise me that the iPhone gets service and the N5 doesn't. It's something we Nexus owners just have to live with.

Truth. My standard of measurement is the back room of my house which serves as my office. I could only receive calls/SMS on the Nexus 5 if it was charging next to a wall and I didn't touch it. As soon as I would pick it up I would lose service. With the iPhone I only get 1 or 2 bars but I can at least maintain a call and get (non iMessage) texts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I still have a nexus 5 :v: but it's doing well as far as the service goes. Lollipop is a bit of a cockup but it's decidedly separate from the quality of signal, which is good.

Ahh. :v: I'll probably be the only one in Omaha with a 6 then. S'cool. Bleeding edge and all haha.

Until Motorola goes all Superfish like Lenovo did....yeeeeeah. Oh well. Front facing speakers ahoy!

mtr
May 15, 2008
I'm finding myself regularly going over the 100 minutes of the T-mobile plan. Can someone shoot me a Cricket referral? Going to try the $35 plan.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

mtr posted:

I'm finding myself regularly going over the 100 minutes of the T-mobile plan. Can someone shoot me a Cricket referral? Going to try the $35 plan.

Done and done. Check your PM

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I am a prepaid MVNO junkie and can not pass up carppy prepaid carriers.

Saw a freedompop deal and decided to give it a try. I paid 65 for a Samsung Victory (4"/4gb/1gb/Android 4.1). Creating account online and adding the phone id was straight forward. But it was impossible to get to a tech support to resolve the "can not activate you account email" error. However the phone could still get online without activating on the freedompop android app so I decided to start using it. After half a day and a PRL/Profile update, the error went away.

So basically you can get 200min/500 text/500MB for free every month with the free plan. You just need to pay for the phone. In retrospect I should have gone with the cheap 30 refub LG phone they have, which has the same spec as the Samsung Victory .

However I would not trust them with an actual cc number. I have heard too many horror story on slickdeals. So I used an Amex giftcard with less than 1 dollar of credit on it. They just need to charge you 1 cent to authorize the card. FYI, you just need to call Amex and tell them a made up name and address, they will assign that as the card's name and address for online purchases.

Now that Ring Plus doesn't offer "free with audio ad" plan anymore and Lycomobile has killed the 2 cents PAYG plan, I feel that its a decent offering as a secondary/backup phone. I will give another trip report in 2 months.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Venkmanologist posted:

To be 100% sure you gotta record the actual dBm reading from either debug menus or an app that'll read them out to you. Bars lie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How fast does Cricket go, generally, once you pass your 4g data allotment?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

How fast does Cricket go, generally, once you pass your 4g data allotment?

I believe it's throttled to 128k. Slow but enough for your emails to download.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

My girlfriend said it would play Pandora fine but it took a little longer to buffer initially.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

whatever7 posted:

So I am a prepaid MVNO junkie and can not pass up carppy prepaid carriers.

Saw a freedompop deal and decided to give it a try. I paid 65 for a Samsung Victory (4"/4gb/1gb/Android 4.1). Creating account online and adding the phone id was straight forward. But it was impossible to get to a tech support to resolve the "can not activate you account email" error. However the phone could still get online without activating on the freedompop android app so I decided to start using it. After half a day and a PRL/Profile update, the error went away.

So basically you can get 200min/500 text/500MB for free every month with the free plan. You just need to pay for the phone. In retrospect I should have gone with the cheap 30 refub LG phone they have, which has the same spec as the Samsung Victory .

However I would not trust them with an actual cc number. I have heard too many horror story on slickdeals. So I used an Amex giftcard with less than 1 dollar of credit on it. They just need to charge you 1 cent to authorize the card. FYI, you just need to call Amex and tell them a made up name and address, they will assign that as the card's name and address for online purchases.

Now that Ring Plus doesn't offer "free with audio ad" plan anymore and Lycomobile has killed the 2 cents PAYG plan, I feel that its a decent offering as a secondary/backup phone. I will give another trip report in 2 months.

You can get another 500MB a month free by adding "friends" to your freedompop account. It's an extra 50MB/month recurring per freedompop friend, and forums like slickdeals have threads where people post their email so you can add them as a friend.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SB35 posted:

Kilobytes or kilobits? I assumed the latter (16 kBps) but if it's actually 128 kBps then that's not much worse than I was regularly getting on Sprint 3G. I think I could live with that for a couple days if I had to.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Kilobytes or kilobits? I assumed the latter (16 kBps) but if it's actually 128 kBps then that's not much worse than I was regularly getting on Sprint 3G. I think I could live with that for a couple days if I had to.

128Kbps, so kilobits/s.

It is apparently enough for Pandora to keep playing, emails and maps to load.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lazydog posted:

You can get another 500MB a month free by adding "friends" to your freedompop account. It's an extra 50MB/month recurring per freedompop friend, and forums like slickdeals have threads where people post their email so you can add them as a friend.

Great, thanks for the tip.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
How often does cricket restock on the moto G? Want to pull the trigger on it, but don't want to settle for any of the other budget phones they're selling.

Also considering the t-mobile nerd plan, but don't really want to shell out too much money for a smart phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

laxbro posted:

How often does cricket restock on the moto G? Want to pull the trigger on it, but don't want to settle for any of the other budget phones they're selling.

Also considering the t-mobile nerd plan, but don't really want to shell out too much money for a smart phone.

Consider the new Moto E:

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-e-2nd-gen/moto-e-2nd-gen.html

Better than the first-gen Moto G that Cricket sells in every way. The only thing it lacks is an LED for the camera flash.

LTE model is $150, otherwise it's $120.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

nimper posted:

Consider the new Moto E:

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-e-2nd-gen/moto-e-2nd-gen.html

Better than the first-gen Moto G that Cricket sells in every way. The only thing it lacks is an LED for the camera flash.

LTE model is $150, otherwise it's $120.
The E has a 960x540 screen, versus the 720p screen on the G. But otherwise, the new E seems much better specs wise than the G.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I switched form T-Mobile to cricket. I seem to have a lot less LTE coverage with cricket but overall I have more coverage than T-Mobile. The 3g seems far enough for anything I have tried to do on the phone (no streaming).

Interesting to see the difference.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Niyqor posted:

Canada is known for not having the same kind of options for plans like that. You might consider getting Nokia Maps for offline GPS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Re: Cricket group plans

I am beginning to pull together 5 lines into one so that we all have $20/month. I was under the impression that each line would have their own login and set up their own individual autopay. To see how this whole thing works I converted my wifes line so we have a two-line group plan. I see the two lines on my main page but when I go to login to her account I get an 'your account is cancelled' message. Am I misunderstood in that the owners of the accounts would retain their own logins and ability to pay directly to Cricket? Do I actually have to collect $ from each person now and make the payments myself?

Appreciate any insight, thanks!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I am beginning to pull together 5 lines into one so that we all have $20/month. I was under the impression that each line would have their own login and set up their own individual autopay. To see how this whole thing works I converted my wifes line so we have a two-line group plan. I see the two lines on my main page but when I go to login to her account I get an 'your account is cancelled' message. Am I misunderstood in that the owners of the accounts would retain their own logins and ability to pay directly to Cricket? Do I actually have to collect $ from each person now and make the payments myself?

You have to collect the money yourself or give out the login info so your members can log in and pay their share.

My question regarding the group plan is can each member also collect referrals still or only the main account holder? What about current outstanding referrals will I sacrifice them if I merge a line into a group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

I think since her line is now under your account she may need to sign up for her account again using her number. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no mechanism for merging user profiles in that sense. It might also be some sort of setting on your end, as the primary account holder. I'm not familiar with any of that stuff specific to Cricket, but I bet it's something like that since her number got moved from her account to your account and it's probably a different kind of account for group plan sub-users so that they can identify it on the back end - if she called in about something that needed your permission to change (I don't know what might, but there's probably something) they would need to be able to see a) she's on a group plan and b) you're the primary. See if it does anything when you use user number to sign up for a mycricket account.