Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

cpaf posted:

As a relatively recent Tasmanian migrant it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that not following a team or AFL in general is a borderline criminal offence. Those that will continue speaking to me after discovering this fact inform me that a good choice of team would be the Kangaroos. Is there an AFL equivalent of that footy banter app Richard Ayoade uses in the IT crowd, else, can someone provide me with a short list of important terms and phrases that will let me participate in communication in this region of Australia?

Yeah the Roos are a good choice, they're on the way up and of the two teams who play in Tassie, they have a smaller and less violent/drunken/racist fanbase (in Tasmania, Hawks fans are barely better than Pies fans) and play in the better end of the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

gabensraum posted:

cpaf the more I think about this the Roos are probably a good choice.

TG-Chrono posted:

AUSSIE RULES SLANG FOR POOFS

Go the roos!! hope they can really golden fist the guts at bellerive!! gently caress the umpires, what a crock of poo poo

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

...except in Tasmania, where he'll forever be loathed for handing the 18th license to West Sydney rather than Tasmania, economic sense be damned.

Great OP and go the Dees hopefully the Dees don't suck quite so bad this year!

I think Gil Mclachlan has his eye set on establishing a Tassie team as soon as possible. I vaguely remember him being asked about it and him giving a fairly positive but non committal answer. I dunno if that will be via a merge (hopefully not) or by further expansion when GWS and GC get more established.

Testekill posted:

I think 2023 or somewhere around then. And I would love to see GWS play at Whitten Oval just because it would be literally the most hostile crowd that I'll ever see.

Or if the AFL buys it early, which sounds like it could happen sooner rather than later.

Xpost from bigfooty cause I'm lazy and can't be bothered getting past the paywall:

quote:

Todays Financial Review had a very interesting article on Etihad ownership. Main points were:
  • The current fund and institutional owners are agitating for a sale of the stadium
  • They want to cash out of the stadium deal before handover for $30 in 2025, as per the terms of their 1999 agreement
  • In recent refinancing of their stadium debt a number of the owners refused to put in any more money. Refinancing was only rescued when one of the owners guaranteed $30 million of the debt
  • The AFL has made 3 approaches to the owners of the stadium in the last 12-18 months.
  • Said that Gillon McLachlan has buying out the stadium ownership as one of his 3 priorities on assuming the top AFL job
  • AFL believes it could make immediate savings at the stadium by taking over the Etihad back office functions
  • The AFL believes that with interest rates at an all time low and with possible savings, they can put in means of "easing the fiscal burden of several clubs that play the majority of their home games at Etihad stadium but receive little in the way of financial return for doing so."
  • The stadium currently pays their owners $30-35 million in earnings, before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation
  • It is believed that both parties had previously been $30-40 million apart, with the current owners asking for $200 million. But with the division in owners ranks and their desire to get out of the stadium, the AFL are in the box seat for these negotiations

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Ok so Mitch Clark (boo) and Nakie Cockatoo (yay) have been named for the cats as well as Sam Blease(!). When the gently caress did we dredge him up? How did I forget/miss that?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
got him for nothing to replace the exiting leg speed of varcoe and christensen

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

got him for nothing to replace the exiting leg speed of varcoe and christensen

Matches the leg speed but with none of the decision making or ball skills

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Christensen wasn't that fast. He was more of a see ball get ball kinda guy.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Gough Suppressant posted:

Matches the leg speed but with none of the decision making or ball skills

true, but i also remember when matt white was hopeless so a change of scene might do him good

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So I'm on the supercoach site and trying to find where the gently caress I log in with last years information? I hit join now, and it takes me to a page telling me to just log in, but there are no log in fields or links???

e: fuckit, HSun site is dumb.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 26, 2015

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
David King is on the Fox Footy pre-game.

Foxtel couldn't find any other analyst while King is under investigation by VicPol?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

They should've rebranded back to Footscray imho.

(Yeah, I know they call their VFL team that, but that doesn't count.)
I had to do a marketing plan for the Doggies for a uni subject last year and I argued for that. I feel that the term 'Western' is too nebulous and is saturated now anyway (GWS, West Coast)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Shmoses posted:

I had to do a marketing plan for the Doggies for a uni subject last year and I argued for that. I feel that the term 'Western' is too nebulous and is saturated now anyway (GWS, West Coast)

Yeah, the big thing these days is that there isn't as much of a negative connotation to Footscray as a suburb like there used to be in the 80's and 90's. A return to Footscray would make sense but I honestly don't really care one way or another since we're still the same club.

edit: IT BEGINS!

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 26, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

btw a certain fairly easily googlable stream that was popular last year is back online

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i'm watching using the international streaming (in melbourne :smug:) and the quality is very nice. much better than the telstra trash

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Here's an updated version of the Western Bulldogs banner with their new logo.

A little surprised none of the other logos seemed to have changed in three years given how clubs lurrrrve rebranding.

(I probably should redo the whole set using whatever font you used for the other titles, but :effort: )

The Carlton logo has changed... not the corporate/club logo though, just the on field logo.

Edit: gently caress, seems I hit draft instead of post a few hours ago.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
FOOTBALL

FRAWLEY SUCKING

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

FOOTBALL

FRAWLEY SUCKING

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Why did people chase him so hard? I mean, I can't be the only one that remembers Bontempelli making him look like poo poo twice in about ten seconds.

EDIT: Hopefully James Sicily plays some games this year for the Hawks. He was pretty great in the VFL Grand Final last year.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 26, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
omg omg footy. by the way, don't know if it was mentioned for international goons, but watchafl is doing the free NAB pass thing again this year. you can watch all the NAB games as well as recordings of every game from the last few years.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

Why did people chase him so hard? I mean, I can't be the only one that remembers Bontempelli making him look like poo poo twice in about ten seconds.

It is loving burned into my brain.

He was all australian defender at a young age and since then has been *fart*

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Volkerball posted:

omg omg footy. by the way, don't know if it was mentioned for international goons, but watchafl is doing the free NAB pass thing again this year. you can watch all the NAB games as well as recordings of every game from the last few years.

Also a good chance for aussie goons to test if their particular vpn setup works with it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Sidebottom you muppet

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

FOOTBALL

FRAWLEY SUCKING

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'd laugh but it's just a matter of time before Clark's legs explode and the shards of flying bone kill Selwood and Johnson

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 26, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
9 pointers?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm laugh but it's just a matter of time before Clark's legs explode and the shards of flying bone kill Selwood and Johnson

Clarks gonna win the Coleman, Frawleys gonna win the brownlow, and Nathan Jones, Jesse Hogan and Dom Tyson will pile into Jeff Garlett's car and wind up wrapped around a traffic light.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Volkerball posted:

9 pointers?

Free range eggs

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

9 pointers?

Preseason rules

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brownie's a good commentator. :unsmith:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Free range eggs

Ostrich Eggs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

Preseason rules

figured. not a bad idea.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

One of the commentators on 3AW bought up a good point, just whereabouts will Sam Mitchell rate on the Hawks greatest of all time? I can't remember another player that's been as consistent as him for as long.

Volkerball posted:

9 pointers?

Super goal. It's pretty much the main thing that differs from the main season.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Drugs posted:

Ostrich Eggs

Performance Enhanced eggs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember it last year. I watched a few games tho. :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Performance Enhanced eggs

a PEE?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

One of the commentators on 3AW bought up a good point, just whereabouts will Sam Mitchell rate on the Hawks greatest of all time? I can't remember another player that's been as consistent as him for as long.

Michael Tuck?

Leigh Matthews?

Jason Dunstall?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hahaha little video montage trying to make last years gf look competitive

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I for one am pretty excited that football is back even if it is fake football.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Last year had Ablett kicking a behind at the siren to break a tie and win the game, so I have high expectations for fake football. Pies aren't letting me down.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Who is Corey Galt?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Btw volker the main reason its fake isnt because of the silly rules its because most of the time teams leave half their list out. A cursory examination of tonights teams shows me no Hodge, Lewis, or Pendlebury. I don't think I've seen Gibson either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Volkerball, you didn't name your dynasty for the ck2 LP Abblettson.

How could you???

• Locked thread