Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

I want the Iggy keychain.

Agreed, and I usually think keychain charms are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

"Hey Baby! becomes "Stronzo" or something to that effect.

This is the only thing about the GG sub I didn't like, and only because subs translating spoken English as something else is my anime pet peeve.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Japanese are not good at spoken English for the most part so it's not always inappropriate to translate it to something that makes sense to the English audience. "Hey baby" is pretty drat simple though, so that was just a change GG made to be quirky and silly.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
On the other hand you could make the argument that "Hey Baby" was meant to sound somewhat foreign to the ears of the Japanese listeners, so translating it to something foreign when translating it into English is not necessarily a bad idea. I completely disagree with translating it into stronzo though, because the gently caress's a stronzo?

Like, from the perspective of everyone speaking English all the time in the series because England, what does it mean for Zeppeli to say something in English? You could very validly translate that into Italian in an English localisation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Exercu posted:

On the other hand you could make the argument that "Hey Baby" was meant to sound somewhat foreign to the ears of the Japanese listeners, so translating it to something foreign when translating it into English is not necessarily a bad idea. I completely disagree with translating it into stronzo though, because the gently caress's a stronzo?

Like, from the perspective of everyone speaking English all the time in the series because England, what does it mean for Zeppeli to say something in English? You could very validly translate that into Italian in an English localisation.

Stronzo means "rear end in a top hat" apparently. :stare:

And are you suggesting that it'd be ok to translate Joseph's "OOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOO"s? :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that's a fair assessment of it. Stronzo is like Italian slang for "rear end in a top hat" or something of that nature.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"gooobye dyodyo" is one more thing that should not be touched.

"rear end in a top hat" and "Hey Baby!" aren't even similar in intent. There's no situation where hey baby could be used as an insult.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

Stronzo means "rear end in a top hat" apparently. :stare:

And are you suggesting that it'd be ok to translate Joseph's "OOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOO"s? :colbert:

"OOOOOOOOOOHHH NOOOO"
[[THIS IS THE WORST!]]

e:
"HOLY poo poo!"
[[I don't like that.]]

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Stronzo means turd, and it's the equivalent of rear end in a top hat in Italian.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

"rear end in a top hat" and "Hey Baby!" aren't even similar in intent. There's no situation where hey baby could be used as an insult.

what if you say it to a really ugly girl in a very sarcastic way

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well, maybe that situation then.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

"OOOOOOOOOOHHH NOOOO"
[[THIS IS THE WORST!]]

e:
"HOLY poo poo!"
[[I don't like that.]]

SUNNADA BITCH

[[That was unfortunate.]]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dio is not an ugly girl, though. He is quite attractive.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pomp posted:

SUNNADA BITCH

[[That was unfortunate.]]

HELP ME! OH MY GOD!

[[Please get this woman off me.]]

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Dio is not an ugly girl, though. He is quite attractive.

Mariah thinks DIO is sexier than Oldseph, but what about Youngseph?
Pomp, how do you feel about that?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joseph is a silver fox, and DIO would be the most selfish lay in the world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like to think this is his passport photo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Aurain posted:

Well considering that gg was doing jokesubs, anything goes.

Aurain posted:

I like to think this is his passport photo.

I really want to post a clip from Jojo Abridged but I'm gonna have to wait at least 3 weeks. :(

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

at least oingo and boingo's anime names were changed to the name of an album by the police and not actual nonsense

My main issue with that change is that I like Oingo Boingo way more than The Police.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Stronzo sounds more like something Caesar would say than Will.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone know when/if crunchyroll will substitute the Stardust Crusaders season 1 with the Blu-Ray quality ones?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mugticket posted:

Anyone know when/if crunchyroll will substitute the Stardust Crusaders season 1 with the Blu-Ray quality ones?

As far as I know they normally just keep the broadcast versions

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah AFAIK Season one is blurays because they didn't get the license til Stardust Crusaders aired (...right?), so the blurays were already out.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Saagonsa posted:

As far as I know they normally just keep the broadcast versions

Season 1 is Blu Ray.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Season 1 is Blu Ray.

Yeah but they only got the show after season 1 was on blu ray. It's when they get the show before the blu ray is out that they keep the normal version is what I meant to say

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
An unironic argument about the merits of a joke sub. :negative:

why. i don't understand

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

So there isn't really any way to watch the first season of SC in Blu-Ray? I have heard that the Japanese ones don't have English subtitles and are also ridiculously expensive like all anime BDs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, and any you'd theoretically find would be illegal/piracy stuff because only PB/BT blurays have English subs.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I watched the GG subs of the the first two parts, and I enjoyed every single word of it.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Rexides posted:

I watched the GG subs of the the first two parts, and I enjoyed every single word of it.

Carefulll......... some guy in here with a star next too his' name gets pissed of when ppl say this.......

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rexides posted:

The official subs had Joseph call hamon a "gimcrack" so clearly it is superior in using obscure period language :colbert:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah but they only got the show after season 1 was on blu ray. It's when they get the show before the blu ray is out that they keep the normal version is what I meant to say

It isn't entirely unprecedented for the Blu-Rays to appear on CR after release; Terraformars is getting that treatment. But it is pretty rare, so I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath for it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quakster posted:

An unironic argument about the merits of a joke sub. :negative:

why. i don't understand

Jokes are good, and funny.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good joke sub was Duwang

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
What a beautiful Duwang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANh2rF7NIM

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

that they released their files as 240p .wmv is the best part.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kuvo posted:

that they released their files as 240p .wmv is the best part.

It's too bad they stopped, they had so much attention to detail in being an awful sub.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

[guitar noises]

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

A few ago there was a link to the full version of the song in the OP. Does anyone have that handy? I can't seem to relocate it or remember who posted it.

• Locked thread