Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk, your new way of playing mafia seems to be that you just as abrasive as ever, only now you don't say very much thus you avoid the issue of "player with a lot of content often gets killed because it's easy to find some flaw in their posting." It makes me wary of you because I know you enjoy a good gambit as scum and this seems like it would be an effective one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

i feel that the post i quoted reads a lot like cautious, newer scum.

Or insecure new town? How are you parsing the difference? Seems like a stretch to want someone dead over a fairly innocuous post. I would at least want to see the eventual reads promised.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

merk, your new way of playing mafia seems to be that you just as abrasive as ever, only now you don't say very much thus you avoid the issue of "player with a lot of content often gets killed because it's easy to find some flaw in their posting." It makes me wary of you because I know you enjoy a good gambit as scum and this seems like it would be an effective one.

I feel like you're saying this tongue in cheek. Merk wouldn't be afraid of dying because of his post count. In fact, he is often tight lipped. Are you sure he isn't ostensibly trying to play less bossily and just kinda failing?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm just annoyed at Mills failing to kill someone last night which means I opened the thread today with nothing new going on. I shouldn't have voted for him.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

I posted in the Discussion Thread and this thread before getting my role PM to avoid this exact argument. My less involved play is how I committed to play before getting my role PM.

That said, I have more posts than all but four players in the game (I have more posts than you), so I'm not even doing a good job of stepping back. On top of that, I have the best case of the day. After writing this out, Hal, I don't even know what you're trying to get at here. This looks 100% made up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Well Hal, I read your entire post history and have no idea what you think about anything. The one post you have that gets even close to content looks completely made up and doesn't even follow the actual happenings of the thread, so I'm going to put you in my scum bucket. You and Ernie can have a party.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm a little sad almost the entire thread has been arguing about gun mechanics. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the idea of gifting someone a vig and, in all honesty, I think the best policy is what Little Mac said, not shooting at all. But apparently Mills is an ace? We'll see I suppose.

Murmur Twin came off the worst during the entire exchange, merk came off the most, what's the word, "misguided?" I don't like what amounts to a double lynch at all. There's almost never going to be informed D1 lynches and then there certainly won't be time to make a second D1 lynch based on that flip's information. You also get to pull the trigger and then shirk all responsibility. Scum gets to point the fingers in both directions like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's playing the roulette wheel if you're town and a great way to ensure in-fighting you're mafia.

Something about Merk is causing me to waiver. His case-shoot-go from there idea is very metagamey as it's predicated on his "new posting fashion" or whatever. It does nothing for me but make me think there is a clear ulterior motive. The thing is, I can't decide if it's a scum play or just self-centered experimentation.

In conclusion, I hate everything that happened and lynch Murmur Twin. ##vote Murmur Twin

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Or insecure new town? How are you parsing the difference? Seems like a stretch to want someone dead over a fairly innocuous post. I would at least want to see the eventual reads promised.

Narco has been playing, she has opinions down. I don't know why she needs to go think about who might be scum. It's way too safe. Insecure town are usually much less active in my experience.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

Well Hal, I read your entire post history and have no idea what you think about anything. The one post you have that gets even close to content looks completely made up and doesn't even follow the actual happenings of the thread, so I'm going to put you in my scum bucket. You and Ernie can have a party.

What of Little Mac?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh, I'd love it if someone did in fact tell me why we gave Mills the gun. It was pretty hard to glean without knowing the meta.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

What of Little Mac?

In the future, I will likely ignore questions at me because it goes against what I'm trying to do. That said, I have no opinion on Little Mac. He doesn't have any posts besides that arm of Pinterest Mom, which doesn't move me in any way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

I'm a little sad almost the entire thread has been arguing about gun mechanics. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the idea of gifting someone a vig and, in all honesty, I think the best policy is what Little Mac said, not shooting at all. But apparently Mills is an ace? We'll see I suppose.

Murmur Twin came off the worst during the entire exchange, merk came off the most, what's the word, "misguided?" I don't like what amounts to a double lynch at all. There's almost never going to be informed D1 lynches and then there certainly won't be time to make a second D1 lynch based on that flip's information. You also get to pull the trigger and then shirk all responsibility. Scum gets to point the fingers in both directions like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's playing the roulette wheel if you're town and a great way to ensure in-fighting you're mafia.

Something about Merk is causing me to waiver. His case-shoot-go from there idea is very metagamey as it's predicated on his "new posting fashion" or whatever. It does nothing for me but make me think there is a clear ulterior motive. The thing is, I can't decide if it's a scum play or just self-centered experimentation.

In conclusion, I hate everything that happened and lynch Murmur Twin. ##vote Murmur Twin

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

Oh, I'd love it if someone did in fact tell me why we gave Mills the gun. It was pretty hard to glean without knowing the meta.

the general idea was "we'll be able to look into mills' soul and divine his alignment if he has a gun"

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

weekly font posted:

Wouldn't it be much better right now if you had a flip in front of you because I made up a huge case on someone and shot them TEN HOURS AGO? That was what I wanted to do.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

merk posted:

Wouldn't it be much better right now if you had a flip in front of you because I made up a huge case on someone and shot them TEN HOURS AGO? That was what I wanted to do.

Slightly. I don't like the idea of turning anyone into the star of a day unless it's because they're a good lynch candidate. Without making the big case you were going to, off the top of your head who do you think you would have shot?

Because of gunchat we don't have any good lynch candidates - the irony is that we're left with a lot more shots in the dark.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Somberbrero posted:

Narco has been playing, she has opinions down. I don't know why she needs to go think about who might be scum. It's way too safe. Insecure town are usually much less active in my experience.

I'm not sure why you're casing me so hard. I am absolutely town this game. If you want to see how I act as scum, check out my last game. Ideally, you won't be able to tell the difference since that's kind of the point. Is there anything I can do or say to prove that I am town and get you off my back?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We have plenty of good dunk candidates! A lot of people have made bad/sketchy posts.

Somber's weird obsession with AN
Grandi~
Poque's selective engagement with the thread only when he doesn't have to make alignment calls
Merk voting to arm me based on phony reasoning
Little Mac, on a lurker case.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm not sure why you're casing me so hard. I am absolutely town this game. If you want to see how I act as scum, check out my last game. Ideally, you won't be able to tell the difference since that's kind of the point. Is there anything I can do or say to prove that I am town and get you off my back?

I'm fairly confident that if you type [ b ] # # v o t e s o m b e r [ / b ], and then six other people do, Somber will get off your back.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Otherwise, no, the whole nature of this game means that people sometimes get on peoples' back when they're wrong to do so (because town is uninformed and will get things wrong), or disingenuously (because they're scum).

"Get off my back, I'm town" isn't useful. You just have to accept that maybe people will be wrong about you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Otherwise, no, the whole nature of this game means that people sometimes get on peoples' back when they're wrong to do so (because town is uninformed and will get things wrong), or disingenuously (because they're scum).

"Get off my back, I'm town" isn't useful. You just have to accept that maybe people will be wrong about you.

You also have to do your best to convince them that they are wrong.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

True and Real posted:

You also have to do your best to convince them that they are wrong.

Well, yeah, but what's Somber's case on AN here?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

weekly font posted:

Because of gunchat we don't have any good lynch candidates - the irony is that we're left with a lot more shots in the dark.

Please read and respond to my case on Ernie.

Diqnol, I thought you said you were going to be doing this poo poo for me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well, yeah, but what's Somber's case on AN here?

Well IDK, Somber has bounced around with his read on AN a couple of times. One minute she's scummy, the next well maybe this is a townie post hmm, then later coming in and saying she's someone to lynch. I think that's what is scummy about it more than the simple observations that AN has done stuff that could be scummy, because I agree with Somber about that much.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

I have been, actually. weekly font gets a pass because he's relatively new to the game and missed most of the day due to IRL. He will get around to stuff today, and if he doesn't, I'll harass him.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I see what you're saying PMom but I don't necessarily want to say somber is scum just bc he is naming me.

I wish I had more of a read on anybody, which is why I said I'll go through the thread again. Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I can only post intermittently and not read an entire thread carefully. Maybe somber doesn't want me to reread the thread bc he says scummy things earlier in it? Idk.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

My vote isn't on you. I'm pointing out scummy behavior when I see scummy behavior, because that's how you play Mafia. If you make a strong argument for someone else I'll consider them too.

pin i'm not sure what you're doing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pinterest Mom posted:

We have plenty of good dunk candidates! A lot of people have made bad/sketchy posts.

Plenty is a stretch. I mentioned who I would be fine with exiling but since you posted a list.

quote:

Somber's weird obsession with AN

Was weird and bad. I wish he'd start posting again.

Your reaction to it was weirder and worserer.

quote:

Grandi~

Poque's selective engagement with the thread only when he doesn't have to make alignment calls

Both are town.

quote:

Merk voting to arm me based on phony reasoning

I don't like Merk but I don't hate that post and think his reasoning is sound and consistent with what he's been saying. If he had stuck with that as opposed to offering his alternative I'd put him fairly town.

quote:

Little Mac, on a lurker case.

Probably town, or is just Little Mac. He's playing similarly to another game I'm in with him. He's a null-read to me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

weekly font posted:

Both are town.

I will need you to elaborate on that. I strongly disagree with your read on Poque.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

True and Real posted:

Well IDK, Somber has bounced around with his read on AN a couple of times. One minute she's scummy, the next well maybe this is a townie post hmm, then later coming in and saying she's someone to lynch. I think that's what is scummy about it more than the simple observations that AN has done stuff that could be scummy, because I agree with Somber about that much.

I feel like you're laying down groundwork for a later dunk on me.

Can I get your feedback on what Narcotics has posted that you agree is/could be scummy?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

pin i'm not sure what you're doing.
playing mafia :sun:

do you have any reads other than "AN is new" and "Trill said to shoot him so he's scum"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

merk posted:

Sure.

True and Real posted:

I will need you to elaborate on that. I strongly disagree with your read on Poque.

Double sure.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

playing mafia :sun:

do you have any reads other than "AN is new" and "Trill said to shoot him so he's scum"

if i did i would post them. also, rude.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I feel like you're laying down groundwork for a later dunk on me.

Can I get your feedback on what Narcotics has posted that you agree is/could be scummy?

I don't do that poo poo as scum FYI, I am an organic being in all phases of the game

"I can't figure out who to vote for!" has been said by AN at least 3 times. I feel like shes buddying up to me.

ahem. content.

so who are you going to shoot, sheriff mills?

this post is bad

I think I played a pretty good scum game in skyrim mafia. Until I got NKed by some bitch rear end.

Is playing up how new she is but also talks about how she played a good scum game recently. It's contradictory.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Poque posted:

this, for example. arming pmom at this point is arming somebody you know is not going to shoot you.

Poque posted:

I'm a little skeeved by people who want to arm a known quantity.

Re: Poque. It's mainly gut, he's done very little. However, I like these two posts because they are almost exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread.

The lack of alignment calls makes him less townie than Grandicap (and it was probably poor of me to list them as strictly town in the same breath, they're NOT on the same tier) but I don't care at this point of the game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

weekly font posted:

Re: Poque. It's mainly gut, he's done very little. However, I like these two posts because they are almost exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread.

The lack of alignment calls makes him less townie than Grandicap (and it was probably poor of me to list them as strictly town in the same breath, they're NOT on the same tier) but I don't care at this point of the game.

Well, what if I told you that is exactly how I felt about him in The Breach in which he was scum? Poque is avoiding the thread at large and just kinda sniping at the conversation and I do not like it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

Game theory chat is really easy for scum to hide behind! You get to make meta-arguments about the game that people can agree with or disagree with, and look active, without engaging with the actual specific game and players in it. You should be seeing Poque agreeing with you as a null tell at best, not as a indicative that he's town.

And then the fact that that's all he's done? That's bad.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I work best when dealing with results to compare against previous arguments and tone. it's not the best way to play but it's how I do best. I like PMom for town right now given the scumhunting he is doing plus the natural flow of his posts indicates good tone to me. I didn't vote to arm him because I wasn't ready to make that sort of a call on Grandi. NA is playing like a newbie town to me now, like I mentioned before.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hi Poque :sun:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Heya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Game theory chat is really easy for scum to hide behind! You get to make meta-arguments about the game that people can agree with or disagree with, and look active, without engaging with the actual specific game and players in it.

• Locked thread