Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy had some good tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm about an hour into The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, and it's making a fantastic first impression. It's a traditional point and click adventure with a gorgeous art style and lots of detail, both graphically and in world-building object descriptions.

So far the writing is better than it was in the first game. It's tongue in cheek and vaguely silly, where the first one felt like a constant stretch for awkward gags that rarely landed. Who knows where it will go from here, but so far so good.

When you first hover the cursor over an object it's a magnifying glass. After clicking for a description, the cursor automatically switches to a grabby hand or a wrench depending on the context, if it's interactive. Since that's the sequence you'd want to follow with everything you come across in an adventure game, automating it like this instead of making the player manually switch to a different cursor makes sense.

Also, during a scene transition, walking animation, or description dialog, the cursor turns into a fast-forward button. Clicking automatically skips to the end of the current action.

I'm not sure how common those mechanics are in modern adventure games, but I really appreciate them. It really helps the flow and keeps me focused on exploring the game's environments.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 26, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Suspicious Dish posted:

What happened to Cardboard Box B????
It's in the nuclear storage buidling

Freak Futanari posted:

First they came for the gamers, and i spoke up, for i was a gamer.
I, too, feel discriminated against and persecuted for being a gamer. Gamers are the most persecuted group in america today. I share your pain.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's in the nuclear storage buidling

No, I asked about Cardboard Box B!

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here folks, have some bundle trash that I apparently already had from other bundles. I'm not going to bother editing these keys since to be honest I doubt many people in this thread will be chomping at the bit to get them so I might as well let the key scrapers have a go at them too.

Muffin Knight: 4M8PD-YPCKC-C4TQA
Battlepaths: 4PI59-4JWVK-8YP8F
Silence of the Sleep: 6A2DC-ZGLHF-V5P3G

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, I asked about Cardboard Box B!

Cardboard Box B?

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Ikari Worrier posted:

Here folks, have some bundle trash that I apparently already had from other bundles. I'm not going to bother editing these keys since to be honest I doubt many people in this thread will be chomping at the bit to get them so I might as well let the key scrapers have a go at them too.

Silence of the Sleep: 6A2DC-ZGLHF-V5P3G

Thanks, internet stranger with a cool username!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Freak Futanari posted:

First they came for the gamers, and i spoke up, for i was a gamer.

Wish they would send you to the camps.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CJacobs posted:

Cardboard Box B?
Is that the one that comes with cheese for the venomous hamsters? Or the one with bread for the pigeon?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's not cardboard box B, that's ration B!
Also they are "Deadly Poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters". Please spell their name correctly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I wish a shortened version of Metal Gear 2 made an appearance in a later MGS integrated as a fever dream sequence. The entire game was gloriously insane.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't spoil the ending to Phantom Pain, man.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Speaking of Phantom Pain...

I really liked Ground Zeroes. Is Phantom pain going to be...bigger? Like, more than 1 level?

Is GZ like that prelude DLC to Dead Rising 2? Cause what I've read on the internet isn't clear.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Snuffman posted:

I really liked Ground Zeroes. Is Phantom pain going to be...bigger? Like, more than 1 level?

Is GZ like that prelude DLC to Dead Rising 2? Cause what I've read on the internet isn't clear.

Word is it's enormous.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Snuffman posted:

It's supposed to be the prelude chapter to the main game, similar to, say, the tanker chapter of MGS2 and Virtuous Mission in MGS3.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Word is it's enormous.

Sweet.

Ground Zeroes was my first Metal Gear game, and it was pretty cool.

Otherwise I have a passing knowledge of the series from watching other people play it (crazy plot, really creative boss fights, "snake? Snaaaaaaaake!!!").

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Snuffman posted:

Sweet.

Ground Zeroes was my first Metal Gear game, and it was pretty cool.

Otherwise I have a passing knowledge of the series from watching other people play it (crazy plot, really creative boss fights, "snake? Snaaaaaaaake!!!").

You should check 'em out. I'm playing through them for the first time since they were released and having a drat good time. Even the PSOne game is more than playable if you can deal with blocky graphics.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It's kind of amazing to me that a big-budget 2015 game is functionally a prequel to a game that came out in 1987.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How are X2 and X3? Been playing Starpoint Gemini 2 a lot, and I heard that those games are even better when it comes to shooting spacemans and selling spacedrugs. In space. That true? Anyone can give me a rundown on how they control with M+KB (I don't have any gamepads or joysticks and the like).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It took a really long time but Falcom's PSP ARPG Gurumin finally makes it to Steam next month after an endless delay post-Greenlight:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322290

I would be surprised if anyone actually got their free keys though since Valve is trying to crack down on that.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 26, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, most of the people who have done it before were crap indie games who had no guarantee of quality, whereas Falcom's games are all typically pretty good and have made Valve a nice chunk of sales altogether, I believe. Could see them letting this slide, since it happened before they made that announcement.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It took a really long time but Falcom's PSP ARPG Gurumin finally makes it to Steam next month after an endless delay post-Greenlight:

I would be surprised if anyone actually got their free keys though since Valve is trying to crack down on that.

Friggin' finally!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

CommissarMega posted:

How are X2 and X3? Been playing Starpoint Gemini 2 a lot, and I heard that those games are even better when it comes to shooting spacemans and selling spacedrugs. In space. That true? Anyone can give me a rundown on how they control with M+KB (I don't have any gamepads or joysticks and the like).

X3: Albion Prelude is the one you want to get. It's pretty much the definitive space sandbox game out there at the moment. If you want to do it, chances are good you can do it.

People like to say it's incredibly complex but it's only as complex as you want it to be. If you want to pilot a ship and go around shooting ships and being a pirate, knock yourself out. If you want to be a trader and set up an automated trade network, go ahead. If you want to be The Empire and crush entire civilizations with your mighty fleet, then you can do that too.

It was designed around keyboard and mouse, I believe, so it plays fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A quick glance at the game's "discussions" shows they're still planning on it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322290/discussions/0/610573009241280827/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm still kinda amazed that Mastiff are still kicking around. I remember them quite notably releasing a heavily censored (excised of all biblical/christian references - hundreds of them) version of La Pucelle Tactics midway through the PS2 era, apparently forgetting that we'd gotten past the NES days of turning crosses into throwing stars and holy water becoming firebombs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My biggest complaint about X3 was the same on I have with Freespace. The space fighters feel slow as poo poo and that just kills it for me. They feel like overgunned space tugs, not futuristic jet fighters in space.

The exception to this are the M5 class scouts in X3, especially the Kestrel, but they're so weakly armed you can't do much with them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Seems that none of the codes work with Hotline Miami 2 at GMG (as of a few minutes ago). Did anyone get 20% off successfully?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Seems that none of the codes work with Hotline Miami 2 at GMG (as of a few minutes ago). Did anyone get 20% off successfully?

I was able to do this yesterday.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dominic White posted:

I'm still kinda amazed that Mastiff are still kicking around. I remember them quite notably releasing a heavily censored (excised of all biblical/christian references - hundreds of them) version of La Pucelle Tactics midway through the PS2 era, apparently forgetting that we'd gotten past the NES days of turning crosses into throwing stars and holy water becoming firebombs.
Wait this is the same company? Wow.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wamdoodle posted:

I was able to do this yesterday.

Did you use KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND? Doesn't work for me. I also received a popup with a randomized voucher, but that didn't seem to work either. Ah well, may as well pick it up direct from Steam then.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hell yeah! How much are they going to ask for it? I feel like drilling through some pots not on my PSP.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
El Dorado, the latest expansion for Europa Universalis IV is out today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/338160/
There's some new stuff in South/Central America, but what might be more interesting to many is the Custom Nation Designer that lets you start with a nation you design yourself instead of a historical one, and/or the Random Setup Mode which places nations in random places with random sizes instead of a historical map setup.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Hell yeah! How much are they going to ask for it? I feel like drilling through some pots not on my PSP.
I think it's $10 on PSP but they'll probably start above that and work their way down at sales time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ddraig posted:

X3: Albion Prelude is the one you want to get. It's pretty much the definitive space sandbox game out there at the moment. If you want to do it, chances are good you can do it.

People like to say it's incredibly complex but it's only as complex as you want it to be. If you want to pilot a ship and go around shooting ships and being a pirate, knock yourself out. If you want to be a trader and set up an automated trade network, go ahead. If you want to be The Empire and crush entire civilizations with your mighty fleet, then you can do that too.

Aw hell yeah, this sounds like my concentrated fruit extract :circlefap: Thanks for the tip, man!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Did you use KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND? Doesn't work for me. I also received a popup with a randomized voucher, but that didn't seem to work either. Ah well, may as well pick it up direct from Steam then.

Yep, that's the one I used. Strange that it isn't working for you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ddraig posted:

Is it actually better than Terran Conflict? Not that it was a huge wankfest, but I did appreciate it's openness. How does it compare in terms of combat? I essentially want to play it like Freelancer. :q:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Albion Prelude adds a bunch of new stuff like Stock Markets and new ships.

Albion Prelude doesn't turn it into a new game, but it does continue the tradition of making the previous releases redundant in terms of features. It also has a better UI than TC

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Catacomb Kids was mentioned earlier in this thread so it's worth looking at the trailer as it has some of the cool item interactions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHTgdFD4hU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I picked up Catacomb Kids on a whim yesterday, and I have to say that while I like the concept, it's very clearly in early alpha still. There's tons of content missing, the level generation is rather bad at the moment, and the balance is completely out of whack.

Still, I'd recommend keeping an eye on it, as I think it can be a lot of fun when it's done and polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires should be released in just under 8 or 9 hours depending on what time you go with.

https://www.facebook.com/koeigames/photos/a.491182296162.303223.48306691162/10153044588276163/?type=1

• Locked thread