Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Medium Style posted:

Thanks, I've never really looked at miniatures outside of GW and PP.

Should I be surprised at how many of these places have their share of titty wizards and butt elves? I was kind of hoping that kind of thing all came from a less visible corner of the hobby.

If anything, "boutique" manufacturers of miniatures made just for painting and displaying are more likely to have T&A miniatures. It's pretty much mandatory in that niche of the market. I really love stuff like Andrea and Pegaso for example, but they can never settle for just amazing sculpts of cool dudes: they got to cram a bunch of dental floss sized bikinis in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Bad Munki posted:

The new figures from the second kickstarter are much stiffer, so there's that. And I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't take primer or paint well," they take both just fine? And you don't even need to prime. Just don't use a primer that melts plastic. Alternately, don't prime, just base coat.

To the contrary, I would recommend bones to beginners: they require less futzing to get to painting (i.e. 1) wash 'em off, 2) start painting) and if you screw something up horribly, they're a fraction of the cost of other minis, so who cares.

I've had a normal grey primer that I used to use for everything before airbrushing that remained tacky for days. On the miniature that I didn't prime I had to put paint straight out of the pot for it to stick which resulted in a loss of the already poor detail. If I watered down the paint it would just pool really awkwardly because the plastic has a floss finish. The only thing it has going for it is the price but I am mostly in this hobby to paint cool poo poo to an ok standard, not to have a heap of droopy speared fudged detail manz

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I won't argue that a lot of spray primers screw it up because the drying agents slightly melt the plastic, that's the tackiness you saw. And what I ran into just last night using what was supposed to be just a plain old acrylic thinner. So they are more chemically sensitive. And don't thin with water, they're hydrophobic. So yeah, there are like two rules: don't thin with water (at least not on your base coat), and be mindful of primers that have acewhatever in them as a drying agent.

Still, talking about beginners, the price point is hard to beat for the relative quality of the minis. And professionally painted, it's often hard to tell the difference, which is why reaper had to specifically state that the portraits of painted minis in their bones catalog were, in fact, actually bones, and not their metal counterparts.

V:shobon:V

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Thinning your paints is one of the first things a beginner should be learning and to practice on a material that won't allow you to do this is frankly dumb. You dont want to be learning bad habits early.

And it is kind of odd to contradict me on primers on your first post and then to agree about them on your second post. For anyone interested Google reaper bones primer and you will see I am not the only one .

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 26, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also, the source sculpt has to be taken into account. A lot of the Bones stuff that looks the most basic and shittily detailed, like some of the skeletons and zombies and the most basic adventurer dudes, that's because the original sculpt was pretty no-frills to start with. The material seems to be perfectly capable of holding a reasonable amount of detail when they tool and formulate for it.

The mold lines can be a bit of a pain but I don't think I'd say they're harder on average to scrape off than for any other equivalent mini. They're harder to clean up than space marines, but that's because space marines are (generally) rather simple with a lot of flat or simply curved surfaces, whereas Bones are fantasy minis with (usually) more organic surfaces and dynamic poses, so the mold lines have to run in some weird places. I didn't have an easier time getting the lines off of PP metals or restic than I did with Bones plastic.

re: thinning, no one's saying slop on thickass GW paint straight from the pot, they're saying don't use a lot of water to thin. If you use something like a good dropper bottle paint and don't lay it on too thick (talking about the thickness of the coat, not the consistency of the paint) it won't obscure any detail that 99% of folks don't care about anyway.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 26, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

When I was removing mold lines I had to literally carve if off with a hobby knife rather than scraping it off. You would have no hope with files I would imagine but I didn't try them.

The poster above you said not to thin your basecoat to get it to stay which is going to obscure detail. If you have to alter your normal modelling painting teqhniques so much to deal with the material I am gonna say it is a bad material to work with.

I've been painting and modelling for 15 years now and have worked on more than space marines and GW miniatures. I have or had miniatures from most of the miniature companies mentioned in this thread and bones is hands down the crappest material to work with.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
QUESTION: Some UK posters I have seen recommended Fairy Power Spray (?) for stripping plastic models. How do I go about this exactly? I feel like it will be easier/safer to work with than, say, brake fluid, but if it is the product I'm thinking of it is a spray - do I spray it all over the models and scrub it around, do I get some in a tub (presumably diluting it) and dump the models in for a while, what?

I'm a pretty experienced modeller but I've never actually stripped models before, having always bought unpainted. Some advice would be much appreciated.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm not any sort of universal authority on painting, of course, but here's a second opinion from a noted Good Painter.

quote:

In conclusion, if I were painting this Orc for a top level contest, I would invest in the metal version and have the extra detail, but also be doomed to carry it around in cotton wool and live in fear of it ever being dropped or knocked over. If I wanted this mini as something that would be satisfying for general painting and display as well as gaming and transporting, I really could not beat Bones.

which is pretty much all we're saying, I mean no poo poo Bones aren't the Bugatti Veyron of miniatures, but they're fine. Really. They're fine.

You can say that being an experienced painter in the first place helps you get the most out of Bones, and I'm sure there's something to that, but on the other hand most people aren't functionally retarded and can process/act upon the instructions "maybe thin your paints more if you aren't using Bones" when and if it comes to that--assuming they're the sort of people who would have obeyed instructions to thin their paints in the first place.

Bottom line for anyone sitting on the sidelines of this argument wondering what to do: buy a Bone and try it out. Worst-case scenario you're out much less than you would be with a comparable model in any other material.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Genghis Cohen posted:

QUESTION: Some UK posters I have seen recommended Fairy Power Spray (?) for stripping plastic models. How do I go about this exactly? I feel like it will be easier/safer to work with than, say, brake fluid, but if it is the product I'm thinking of it is a spray - do I spray it all over the models and scrub it around, do I get some in a tub (presumably diluting it) and dump the models in for a while, what?

I'm a pretty experienced modeller but I've never actually stripped models before, having always bought unpainted. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Apparently they changed the active ingredient in Power Spray and it doesn't work any more D:

Use plain brown dettol. You dunk the mini in it, leave it 24 hours, and scrub with dish soap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Willy Style posted:

The poster above you said not to thin your basecoat to get it to stay which is going to obscure detail.
Actually,

Bad Munki posted:

don't thin with water
It's a small but critical distinction.

JerryLee posted:

which is pretty much all we're saying, I mean no poo poo Bones aren't the Bugatti Veyron of miniatures, but they're fine. Really. They're fine.
Bottom line for anyone sitting on the sidelines of this argument wondering what to do: buy a Bone and try it out. Worst-case scenario you're out much less than you would be with a comparable model in any other material.
This.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

quote:

buy a Bone and try it out
Hell, a lot of goons would probably send you a random bone to try out for the cost of shipping, a rat or whatever. I probably would, I've got tonnes I'm never going to get round to painting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

Hell, a lot of goons would probably send you a random bone to try out for the cost of shipping, a rat or whatever. I probably would, I've got tonnes I'm never going to get round to painting.

I believe Captain Invictus will send a full Dragons Don't Share boxed set to anyone that asks sufficiently nicely. :v:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I'm not any sort of universal authority on painting, of course, but here's a second opinion from a noted Good Painter.

You can say that being an experienced painter in the first place helps you get the most out of Bones, and I'm sure there's something to that, but on the other hand most people aren't functionally retarded and can process/act upon the instructions "maybe thin your paints more if you aren't using Bones" when and if it comes to that--assuming they're the sort of people who would have obeyed instructions to thin their paints in the first place.

Definitely try it out if you are on the fence but I think it is important to point out the failings of the material. Priming and thinning paints are probably the two biggest tips given to painters in this thread and the two exceptions to the rule for bones. For me, the models coming pre assembled didn't really save time because I had to spend more time literally carving off mold lines and hand painting a base coat because primers don't work . You also have to spend time straightening weapons with hot water which is something you have to do with resin which is usually only recommended for experienced modellers. They obviously aren't unusable but I think there are a few things that will hamper
new painters from getting good results.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Willy Style posted:

the models coming pre assembled didn't really save time

Definitely in agreement on that one, the pre-assembled stuff drives me nuts.

For one, who the hell actually wants to paint a horseman who's already been glued to his horse, and for another, uhh, thanks but that head is glued into its socket after only being inserted about halfway? The QC on some of the glue-ups was lacking this time around. That being said, with the slight change on the composition of bonesium, I was able to separate any minis I wanted with a minimum of fuss, just working them back and forth, I think the glue didn't quite hold as well this time. Not to say it wasn't a good solid bond, but I was able to break it free without damaging anything.

So yeah, pre-glue is dumb as hell.

Here's a really great guide on handling mold lines on bones, with several techniques side-by-side for comparison: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm tempted to pick up Zombicide but I really don't want to clean mold lines on 60 minis. How bad are they for mold lines?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm tempted to pick up Zombicide but I really don't want to clean mold lines on 60 minis. How bad are they for mold lines?

Varied. So far I've painted 2 sets of characters and I still had to clean some. Not as bad as FFG though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Big Willy Style posted:

When I was removing mold lines I had to literally carve if off with a hobby knife rather than scraping it off. You would have no hope with files I would imagine but I didn't try them.

Yeah definitely do not file Bones. I personally think they're pretty cool but they have their downsides. They at least seem to have fewer mold lines than some of the PP stuff I've seen.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I don't think anyone will really disagree on what the relative strengths and weaknesses are of Bones plastic. It's just a matter of how severe you think the implications are. Personally, I find that the advantages of the Bones line for casual painting far outweigh the disadvantages and I recommend them on that basis, but tastes will vary. :shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One thing that's for absolute certain: bones figures are by far the best at filling your shelf with unpainted minis while spending the least amount of money. I'm proof of that.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Well my first attempt with some of the more advanced techniques learned in this thread is done :toot:

I went back and tried lightening up the middle part of the engine glow a bit, but with the way the engine is shaped it's hard to get to. I'll have to get some more practice in with a future model.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Terrain. I hate painting big things, I don't enjoy painting armor on minis. Building terrain has always been fun for me, painting it has been a chore.

Now? I've learned that when painting terrain I get to thrash a brush at something big and not worry one bit about the hundreds of flaws since the goal is the macro detail:

The Citadel tree set is really, really cool. As everyone noticed when it came out, you get to remove the trees for gameplay/LOS purposes, but the kit itself is also great! The trees are very heavy so they don't fall over so easily. I find the trees don't slot into the spaces so easily, though; some of the trees plop into the slot fine, others wedge into place making it awkward. Regardless, I hosed up the construction since I feel like it doesn't look organic at all. Some of this was on purpose because even the very large canopy pieces have only one mounting slot, that seemed to me like a recipe for broken terrain pieces.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

What size blades should I be looking at for a jeweler's saw for cutting the heads off white metal models?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Finished the dwarves tonight, they only took a few hours. Felt like it went so much faster painting 84 dwarves than it did doing 288 goblins. Shown next to a 28mm mini for those of you that haven't really seen 10mm before.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 27, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool, life-size minis :haw:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Commissar Canuck posted:

Well my first attempt with some of the more advanced techniques learned in this thread is done :toot:

I went back and tried lightening up the middle part of the engine glow a bit, but with the way the engine is shaped it's hard to get to. I'll have to get some more practice in with a future model.

Where'd you find this model? It's nice! :D

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, I sort of missed it in the Bones slapfight, but that A-wing is boss.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

head58 posted:

What size blades should I be looking at for a jeweler's saw for cutting the heads off white metal models?

Any size smaller than a standard hacksaw for cutting steel. I got a weird piece of junk like this online and it works:

That the frame is adjustable is weird but it functions, it allows for multiple blade types/lengths to be mounted.
What is required is 1) a saw for cutting metal 2) the blade must be small enough to maneuver around angles or tiny space man necks like you alluded to.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Here's that Libby I was working on.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The minotaur symbol on the chestplate is pretty freaking awesome. Where does one find this style of librarian?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Uroboros posted:

The minotaur symbol on the chestplate is pretty freaking awesome. Where does one find this style of librarian?

Thanks dude! You can find the Minotaur symbols on Forgeworld. The model is from the Dark Vengeance set and required a bit of conversion to make him less dark angel specific.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Just to touch briefly again on the Bones thing: I too am not a fan of them (though I love Reaper's metal minis a ton). Along with the previously mentioned issues (floppiness, having to reset droopy swords with boiling water, etc.), one thing I have found is that, unless you have a "solid" mini with a lot of thickness to it (such as a stout dwarf, for example), the figures have a bit of "bounce" to them when painting, which is annoying as hell. At first I thought it was just me, as I tend to cut off the "broccoli bases" that are attached to the Bones figures and pin them, and so I thought perhaps cutting the bases away from the Bones figures made them a bit less resilient or something; but then I tried it with an elven archer-type figure that I left attached to the base as an experiment, and had the same experience.

I can't quite explain it except to say that when painting, the figure seems to "bounce" a little when being touched by the brush with anything other than the gentlest of brush strokes. It's annoying as poo poo because (in my experience) it leads to sloppier brushwork and a lot more cleanup. Granted, this could just be my experience alone, but that combined with all the other issues people have already mentioned regarding the Bones range is enough to put me off the line completely (and I am normally a dude who gets all :woop: in regards to getting things as cheaply as possible).

I appreciate that Reaper is trying to move to a cheaper-to-produce material for the Bones range, but I'll take metal (or hard plastic, or resin) figures any day, even with the increased price.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Any size smaller than a standard hacksaw for cutting steel. I got a weird piece of junk like this online and it works:

That the frame is adjustable is weird but it functions, it allows for multiple blade types/lengths to be mounted.
What is required is 1) a saw for cutting metal 2) the blade must be small enough to maneuver around angles or tiny space man necks like you alluded to.

Agreed. Just get whatever blade you can find. For minis it matters not a lick.

Another tip, don't put pressure on the tool while cutting, just let gravity do the work. Seriously you will be tempted to press to speed it up, but don't. You stand a high chance of snapping the blade.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Feeple posted:

Where'd you find this model? It's nice! :D

Thanks! I was surprised to find out they never made many A-wing models over the years, this was a cheapo snap kit from MPC I got off ebay for $15ish.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Bavius posted:

Here's that Libby I was working on.

That's a nice Libby, dude.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I know it's touched upon in the OP but since opinions differ, here and otherwise, I'll ask because I'm babby painter. I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo. A set of 72 can be had for ~220. Not cheap, but the more I think of the prospect of mixing paints (I'm not super patient), the more I like the lots of quality paints option.

I'm watching a miniature painting 101 series on YouTube and the guy definitely recommended getting decent paints, be it GW, P3, Vallejo, or Reaper. Just figured I'd get opinions before shelling out that kind of cash.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That should be fine as long as you thin them. Those types of paints tend to be very thick.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Who Dat posted:

I know it's touched upon in the OP but since opinions differ, here and otherwise, I'll ask because I'm babby painter. I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo. A set of 72 can be had for ~220. Not cheap, but the more I think of the prospect of mixing paints (I'm not super patient), the more I like the lots of quality paints option.

I'm watching a miniature painting 101 series on YouTube and the guy definitely recommended getting decent paints, be it GW, P3, Vallejo, or Reaper. Just figured I'd get opinions before shelling out that kind of cash.

Wait $220 for art store acrylics? Or do you mean the Vallejo ones. If it's art store, You could get more Minitaire paint for that price (Badger's minitaire line is under $200 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Retarder/dp/B00AX5H86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425055123&sr=8-1&keywords=minitaire)

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Speaking of Badger's paint line, I am curious about their ghost tints and airbrush washes in general. Is there anything special you have to do when applying them?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Commissar Canuck posted:

Speaking of Badger's paint line, I am curious about their ghost tints and airbrush washes in general. Is there anything special you have to do when applying them?

Ghost tints are pretty potent so any streaking will be very obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ghost Tints, when I used them, are like a Candy color from RC painting.

Its a transparent paint, but very potent.

• Locked thread