Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Lprsti99 posted:

Man, all of this Sproggiwood chat is really making me consider giving it a go, even though the cutesy art style turns me off to it. Anyone want to pitch it to me and push me over the fence?

* There's a dark tack to the story that will make you question the sincerity of all that cuteness.
* The classes are unique, variously challenging, and true to their inspirations.
* There's a potion called Identity Crisis that scrambles your powers, occasionally producing awesome custom-like classes (Invisibility + Shoot Arrow + Roll + Dervish = Sniper Death Ninja)
* There's a mysterious god who meddles in the world's affairs.
* There's tremendously awesome music made by another goon.
* There are several references to figures from ancient Rome.
* The most reviled monster in the game is called "happy mate fish".

I say all this as a completely neutral party, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the glow
May 31, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

-Possible bug: In the Dungeon of the Eaters (I don’t remember the name) my “spring-loaded plastic boots” acquired the [cracked] status effect. When I recoiled back to Joppa the status effect was removed.

This happened to me too, I got a message that my crysteel shardmail had cracked and was now 7/-4, but when I looked at it in my inventory it was still 8/-4

-I’m at level 20 and I nearly got killed by a rimewyk. Good god those things are nasty in close combat.
Yeah those things are crazy. With like 18 AV and about 50 cold resist the only way I could survive near one is by chain-using salve injectors, I don't know if there's some trick to fighting them that I'm missing

-What are baetyls? Or where should I go to learn more about them?
-I have never met mysterious strangers. Where are they?

I'm no Qud expert but the only place I've seen either of these things so far is Bethesda Susa.

-Where is the goatfolk village for the Raising Indrix quest?

It's northeast of Kyakukya iirc

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's 2 kinds of Baetyls. One is the target of the Bethesda Susa quest and the other randomly shows up in ruins demanding various items in exchange for BLAZING CANNONS, MIGHTY WEAPONS, SPLENDID VESTMENTS, PECULIAR CONTRAPTIONS, ENHANCED PROWESS, HEIGHTENED SKILL, or GREAT RENOWN.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Baetyls are basically fetch quest NPCs and Rimewykks are basically massive assholes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baetyls are also assholes because they'll demand super high end poo poo that almost never spawns and give you a carbide dagger in return.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So are y'all still playing the secret goon qud?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Baetyls are also assholes because they'll demand super high end poo poo that almost never spawns and give you a carbide dagger in return.

Or poo poo that literally cannot be acquired. I had one ask for three spears, and another one demand four metametal daggers. In the same game.

Then again, sometimes they're like, "bring me 4 giant dragonfly corpses" and you look at the map and you're in a ruin immediately next to an area that has giant dragonflies. But mostly it's rear end in a top hat Baetyls demanding things you functionally or objectively cannot get.

Tin Tim posted:

So are y'all still playing the secret goon qud?

Nah, only some of us. I'm still fiddling with the last public release.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is Shattered Planet any good for the price it's at this week?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

* There's a dark tack to the story that will make you question the sincerity of all that cuteness.
* The classes are unique, variously challenging, and true to their inspirations.
* There's a potion called Identity Crisis that scrambles your powers, occasionally producing awesome custom-like classes (Invisibility + Shoot Arrow + Roll + Dervish = Sniper Death Ninja)
* There's a mysterious god who meddles in the world's affairs.
* There's tremendously awesome music made by another goon.
* There are several references to figures from ancient Rome.
* The most reviled monster in the game is called "happy mate fish".

I say all this as a completely neutral party, of course.

All right, sold.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or poo poo that literally cannot be acquired. I had one ask for three spears, and another one demand four metametal daggers. In the same game.

Then again, sometimes they're like, "bring me 4 giant dragonfly corpses" and you look at the map and you're in a ruin immediately next to an area that has giant dragonflies. But mostly it's rear end in a top hat Baetyls demanding things you functionally or objectively cannot get.

Nah, only some of us. I'm still fiddling with the last public release.

I think you might be able to get metametal in Chrome Pyramid Happy Fun Land but I'm not sure.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

madjackmcmad posted:

The week before the Dungeonmans Kickstarter launched I released a goon only build that was balanced up to level 6. After level 6 or so, the entire monster spawn table was replaced with Goon Destroyers, who could foomsplosion from off the screen and almost certainly one shot any hero. I kept the name in when the game went live.

There's some other goony stuff in there too. Doomtalker is a goon who'd write rhymes about Dungeonmans in the dmans thread, now he's a crazy old man making GBS threads coppers and spawning bees when you piss him off.

Any word yet what your next project might be? Time travel adventure roguelike? Modern gui remake of the d&d gold box pc games?

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I've gotten my first ToME character to the end game but something is throwing a spanner into my progress. My Heal Mod is dropping lower and lower for seemingly no reason. I've already gotten rid of the Unearthly black stone, I thought that'd be the end of it. It fixed it for a couple dungeons but now its plummetted to 61% and I can strip naked and tell it's not any of my worn gear. Can anyone shed light on this?

I'm a Cursed Antimagic follower, in case that might effect anything.

Also, why do spellhunter remnants (tier 5 version) lower my attack speed by 17%? It's not listed in the stats!

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Goodchild posted:

I've gotten my first ToME character to the end game but something is throwing a spanner into my progress. My Heal Mod is dropping lower and lower for seemingly no reason. I've already gotten rid of the Unearthly black stone, I thought that'd be the end of it. It fixed it for a couple dungeons but now its plummetted to 61% and I can strip naked and tell it's not any of my worn gear. Can anyone shed light on this?

I'm a Cursed
Crank your Hate up to max and then check it again.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Oh god, seriously? I played all the way here and didn't notice Hate changed that. Embarrasing.

Thank you Zereth.

Going to go stick my head in the sand now.

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Goodchild posted:

I'm a Cursed Antimagic follower, in case that might effect anything.

Also, why do spellhunter remnants (tier 5 version) lower my attack speed by 17%? It's not listed in the stats!

All heavy gaunlets lower your attack speed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Metal Meltdown posted:

All heavy gaunlets lower your attack speed.

I think that's supposed to only apply to unarmed attacks, but there was a stubborn bug that made it apply to weapon attacks as well for some reason. I thought that bug had been fixed, though.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think that's supposed to only apply to unarmed attacks, but there was a stubborn bug that made it apply to weapon attacks as well for some reason. I thought that bug had been fixed, though.

It sure shows up on the sheets of my weapon using dudes that they have slower attack speed. Or I'm misreading it and the first page attack speed is only for unarmed attacks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:toot: YAAP

code:
ToxicFrog, level 13 Hell Knight 2nd Lieutenant Marine,
nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
He survived 157253 turns and scored 210331 points. 
He played for 13 hours, 16 minutes and 39 seconds. 
He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 831 out of 841 hellspawn. (98%)
He held his right to remain violent.
He was an Angel of Berserk!

Cyberdemon's Head
Aurora Medallion
Hell Armorer Badge
Gatekeeper Gold Badge
Lava Bronze Badge
Berserker Gold Badge

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered red armor [5/5] (84%)
[b] [ Weapon     ]   Longinus Spear (8d8)
[c] [ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [4/4] (100%) (A)
[d] [ Prepared   ]   piercing chainsaw (4d7)
This is a whole bunch of firsts for me:
  • First win on HMP
  • First "complete" win (nuked the Mastermind and then defeated the bonus boss)
  • First time clearing the Lava Pits/Mt. Erebus
  • First Cyberdemon's Head

Sadly, no 100% kill rate; fairly early on I ran into a level with a Hell Knight on the other side of an acid river with no boots, no non-acid path, no cover while approaching it, and no weapon except the knife, and decided I didn't want 100% badly enough to risk it.

It also took an embarassingly long time to find Red Armour for use with the PN packs; I wore the Necroarmour for most of the late game.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

:toot: YAAP

code:
ToxicFrog, level 13 Hell Knight 2nd Lieutenant Marine,
nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
He survived 157253 turns and scored 210331 points. 
He played for 13 hours, 16 minutes and 39 seconds. 
He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 831 out of 841 hellspawn. (98%)
He held his right to remain violent.
He was an Angel of Berserk!

Cyberdemon's Head
Aurora Medallion
Hell Armorer Badge
Gatekeeper Gold Badge
Lava Bronze Badge
Berserker Gold Badge

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered red armor [5/5] (84%)
[b] [ Weapon     ]   Longinus Spear (8d8)
[c] [ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [4/4] (100%) (A)
[d] [ Prepared   ]   piercing chainsaw (4d7)
This is a whole bunch of firsts for me:
  • First win on HMP
  • First "complete" win (nuked the Mastermind and then defeated the bonus boss)
  • First time clearing the Lava Pits/Mt. Erebus
  • First Cyberdemon's Head

Sadly, no 100% kill rate; fairly early on I ran into a level with a Hell Knight on the other side of an acid river with no boots, no non-acid path, no cover while approaching it, and no weapon except the knife, and decided I didn't want 100% badly enough to risk it.

It also took an embarassingly long time to find Red Armour for use with the PN packs; I wore the Necroarmour for most of the late game.

I still haven't even ascended Nethack. I hate you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CountingWizard posted:

Not that I've played DoomRL yet, but I get the distinct impression that it's a pretty straightforward roguelike. NetHack is practically an adventure game of the Sierra school, except they replaced the graphics and dialog with more things that can kill you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah DoomRL is short and apart from a couple of secret items and some advanced timing / action economy tactics that you don't need on any difficulty short of Nightmare!, it's all stuff you can reasonably learn by doing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Right. The process of learning how to play DoomRL and eventually getting good enough to beat it is wildly shorter than that of learning what the gently caress is going on half the time in Nethack and eventually managing to ascend.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CountingWizard posted:

DoomRL is not necessarily easier than Nethack but it is a lot fairer and more straightforward. It may kill you but it will kill you with superior firepower or your own stupidity, never by going "ha ha, you didn't read the spoilers so gently caress you", which Nethack does all the time. And it has difficulty levels! DoomRL on ITYTD is pretty forgiving.

That said, I've also ascended three times in Nethack, albeit as three of the easiest classes (Valkyrie, Wizard, and Knight).

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

DoomRL is not necessarily easier than Nethack but it is a lot fairer and more straightforward. It may kill you but it will kill you with superior firepower or your own stupidity, never by going "ha ha, you didn't read the spoilers so gently caress you", which Nethack does all the time. And it has difficulty levels! DoomRL on ITYTD is pretty forgiving.

That said, I've also ascended three times in Nethack, albeit as three of the easiest classes (Valkyrie, Wizard, and Knight).

The big thing is it's quicker and the scope is smaller. Nethack isn't difficult in the sense that the tactical decisions are any more difficult that DoomRL's, it's just the breadth of factors to know/consider.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for posting this. 2D side scrollers are usually not my thing. But intricate interactions like this are. I'll give it another look.

madjackmcmad posted:

There's some other goony stuff in there too. Doomtalker is a goon who'd write rhymes about Dungeonmans in the dmans thread, now he's a crazy old man making GBS threads coppers and spawning bees when you piss him off.

:allears: I was wondering what the story was behind that dude. Since his name was "Doomtalker" I was trying to determine if his dialogue hinted at some looming existential threat in the game. Also attracting player attention to a crazy NPC by having the npc drop coins is a great idea. I was wondering for the longest time what was causing the coin drop sound effect.

Qud chat:

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately it will be used in a new game.

A moment of silence for the Mountain. :911:

He was level 21 and I made the stupid stupid decision to engage two bloody saw handers in close combat. First a foot came off then I decided to press my attack and I caught x5 armor ignoring attacks for about 23 damage each. I knew better. I just got too greedy exploring the deathlands. I thought I could explore them safely because (in the super secret beta [Dromad Edition] version) there is a bug where you can escape to the overland map instantly.

:negative:

I had run out of lead slugs for my chaingun. Big mistake. The Knockback skill in bows and rifles is just fantastic for keeping enemies at bay. This is the first time I've found a chaingun and I really think it is instrumental for the midgame.

Ironically I was finding better gear in the ruins and goat villages east of Kyakukya than in the deathlands.

Incidentally this is the first run I found armor with the flexweave modification!

Live, Drink and Learn, friend. :xcom:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey look at this new er old roguelike on kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove

Welcome back. Hope it makes it!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Harminoff posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove

There hasn't been a good TJ&E game since the first one so I really don't have my hopes up.

Thanks for posting this. 2D side scrollers are usually not my thing. But intricate interactions like this are. I'll give it another look.

:allears: I was wondering what the story was behind that dude. Since his name was "Doomtalker" I was trying to determine if his dialogue hinted at some looming existential threat in the game. Also attracting player attention to a crazy NPC by having the npc drop coins is a great idea. I was wondering for the longest time what was causing the coin drop sound effect.

Qud chat:

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately it will be used in a new game.

A moment of silence for the Mountain. :911:

He was level 21 and I made the stupid stupid decision to engage two bloody saw handers in close combat. First a foot came off then I decided to press my attack and I caught x5 armor ignoring attacks for about 23 damage each. I knew better. I just got too greedy exploring the deathlands. I thought I could explore them safely because (in the super secret beta [Dromad Edition] version) there is a bug where you can escape to the overland map instantly.

:negative:

I had run out of lead slugs for my chaingun. Big mistake. The Knockback skill in bows and rifles is just fantastic for keeping enemies at bay. This is the first time I've found a chaingun and I really think it is instrumental for the midgame.

Ironically I was finding better gear in the ruins and goat villages east of Kyakukya than in the deathlands.

Incidentally this is the first run I found armor with the flexweave modification!

Live, Drink and Learn, friend. :xcom:

Sawhanders are one of the worst enemies, period. They essentially have vibroaxes, so they ignore all armor and dismember you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

There hasn't been a good TJ&E game since the first one so I really don't have my hopes up.

The pitch video is basically saying "We tried three times to make a proper sequel to the first game and each time our publisher made us change it, so guess what, no publisher this time."

But yeah, it's a Kickstarter for a videogame, trading on nostalgia value. Here There Be Dragons.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Sawhanders are one of the worst enemies, period. They essentially have vibroaxes, so they ignore all armor and dismember you.

This. I immediately stop what I'm doing and start kiting those things even on Bethesda Susa-capable omnicidal axe turtles. Do not gently caress around with Sawhanders.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Harminoff posted:

The aesthetics are horrible, ugh.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
2015 and there's still a complete loving wall in ADOM if you want to go for an ultra ending and have no amulet of life saving. You're killing me Biskup.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dr. Dos posted:

2015 and there's still a complete loving wall in ADOM if you want to go for an ultra ending and have no amulet of life saving. You're killing me Biskup.

And now it's much harder/more tedious to grind for one! For some reason lots of people see this as a positive change.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any good roguelikes for 3DS or Vita? I gather Shiren the wanderer is alright but I don't know of any other ones.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
There's also that curry game for the vita but it's not that great.
Pokemon is really your best bet.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

Ultra endings are supposed to be rare, special achievements, not just something you decide to do at the beginning of the game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TOOT BOOT posted:

Ultra endings are supposed to be rare, special achievements, not just something you decide to do at the beginning of the game.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious/trolling, but why is basing it on a random rare drop better than making it challenge-based? Why not for example put a guaranteed RoLS in the game but put it at the end of a very difficult dungeon that will kill most characters at pre-Kele levels? There has to be a more interesting option than Did you score a lucky RoLS drop Y/N? (I guess you can grind the ID forever but I couldn't be hosed with that before Biskup nerfed ID scumming much less now and that's not at all a more interesting option anyway.)

Also, it is something you decide to do at the beginning of the game. If your first kill is the wrong kind of monster you can't do it. You literally have to plan for it from the very start of the game and luck out with the ring/a wish.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

I've thought it over, and I've decided that the best explanation for why ultra endings are the way they are is to say "Thomas Biskup" whilst waving my arms around. I hope this helps you understand.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious/trolling, but why is basing it on a random rare drop better than making it challenge-based?

I don't see the need to put a guaranteed amulet/rdos in the game because it's a completely optional challenge. It bugs me considerably more that rations still weigh 200s, how would anyone ever travel if they needed to take 120lb worth of food just to survive a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well yeah no-one is arguing that that poo poo is weird. It just seems a ridiculous design decision to gate that extra content behind a random drop.