Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

Can anyone take a quick look at my resume? Attending a conference at Google Boston tomorrow and I figured it couldn't hurt to have a copy on me :) Two years into a sysadmin career with some awesome projects under my belt.
Post it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I just did a quick phone interview for a help desk position and I feel like I totally stumbled through it. The Interviewer said no help desk experience definitely doesn't count against me, and was able to cobble together some non-work experiences of installing a monitors and other stuff.

And then I fell over on the salary question and low-balled myself. "The posting said 40-45k but I definitely don't think I warrant THAT much so maybe mid 30s?"

:bang:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

moonsour posted:

"The posting said 40-45k but I definitely don't think I warrant THAT much so maybe mid 30s?"

Dude.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There are plenty of 35k-45k support positions and you don't need to an expert either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moonsour posted:

And then I fell over on the salary question and low-balled myself. "The posting said 40-45k but I definitely don't think I warrant THAT much so maybe mid 30s?"

Slap yourself in the face for me please. And hard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

moonsour posted:

I just did a quick phone interview for a help desk position and I feel like I totally stumbled through it. The Interviewer said no help desk experience definitely doesn't count against me, and was able to cobble together some non-work experiences of installing a monitors and other stuff.

R.I.P

Its not the end of the world but you definitely probably negotiated your way into the low end of their range.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I am literally my own personal Hitler right now. I mean it would still be twice what I've EVER made but goddamn. Shoving my head into the oven over here...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

moonsour posted:

I am literally my own personal Hitler right now. I mean it would still be twice what I've EVER made but goddamn. Shoving my head into the oven over here...

That HR dude just made himself a nice little spot bonus on your dime

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

moonsour posted:

There's probably no undoing that salary damage for this position. And unfortunately this is the kind of thing that can stick with you (since future raises are almost always based on a percentage of your current salary).

I wouldn't necessarily advise you to turn them down if they come back with an offer at the salary you negotiated yourself down to, but at least consider A) how long you've been looking before you got this interview and B) how lively the IT market is where you are, and weigh that before you accept.

That said, if they do come back with the low end of their posted range, I wouldn't worry about it. 40k's a perfectly fair starting help desk salary.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

The HR guy doesn't get any bonus at all just made his job easier.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

ElGroucho posted:

It was the IT Manager himself since it's for an art school. He SAID he was just making sure I wasn't pricing myself out of their budget like some others he interviewed. There's hope, right? :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moonsour posted:

It was the IT Manager himself since it's for an art school. He SAID he was just making sure I wasn't pricing myself out of their budget like some others he interviewed. There's hope, right? :ohdear:

That is most often said as a negation tactic to get you to settle for less. Most often that only thing pricing you out for position is someone else that is comparable to you that lowballs themselves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the bright side, if 35k is twice what you've ever made, it's not that bad (depending on where you're living). I mean, you still shouldn't have done it, but the next job you get, it's behind you. Because you never tell anyone what you made at your last job. Ever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

moonsour posted:

This is better than giving HR that number. If he's a good manager, he'll work hard to get you the number you deserve, not the one you told him. I've offered on both sides of the number a candidate has given before, depending on whether the candidate was playing a salary game or lowballing themselves. At my second real IT job, I was hired at one number and was told by my Director of Operations 45 days later that my salary was being bumped up another $10k because he thought it was too low. At the one after that, I had a manager work for a year to get me the number he thought I should have because my starting salary came in below what he had budgeted (and it was honestly a decent starting salary).

You might have shot yourself in the foot, but this might be a good benchmark for what you can expect their culture and work environment to be like.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 26, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

moonsour posted:

You're like George Costanza and you should feel bad

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gyshall posted:

You're like George Costanza and you should feel bad
This is full-on Homer Simpson salary negotiation

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

moonsour posted:

I would think there's hope. Not sure about the setup but it's probably up to HR and they'll give you a number. Don't be afraid to ask for more, especially if what they tell you is below 40k. If they say 30k just say, with confidence, that you were hoping they could get you closer to 40-45, as the position was posted for. It's what they're budgeted for the position so it's not hurting them at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any places you guys recommend looking for jobs besides CL, Monster, Linkedin, Dice, and CareerBuilder? I'm only finding maybe two jobs to apply to every few days.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I think it's just a mass compilation of common career-sites but indeed.com and a good recruiter(s).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any places you guys recommend looking for jobs besides CL, Monster, Linkedin, Dice, and CareerBuilder? I'm only finding maybe two jobs to apply to every few days.

If you have to choose one indeed seems to be pretty great right now. From an employer standpoint its a lot cheaper than all the other sites to post jobs. Hell, I posted my job opening under the free option and I have had over 550 people apply and I have spent a dime.

As someone who looks for jobs I have noticed its easier to search for jobs. Less recruiter spam and more direct contact with actual businesses.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Also, depending on what you're looking for, I've gotten interviews (and jobs) because I went to the company's site directly and found positions that I hadn't seen otherwise. You can google stuff like "managed service provider <your city>" and look for sites that way.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 27, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also, depending on what you're looking for, I've gotten interviews (and jobs) because I want to the company's site directly and found positions that I hadn't seen otherwise. You can google stuff like "managed service provider <your city>" and look for sites that way.

Should have mentioned this first.

Just google companies you'd like to work for, go to their career page and apply but be prepared to fill out terrible web forums. :smith:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
http://www.simplyhired.com/ Is a good aggregate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I would think there's hope. Not sure about the setup but it's probably up to HR and they'll give you a number. Don't be afraid to ask for more, especially if what they tell you is below 40k. If they say 30k just say, with confidence, that you were hoping they could get you closer to 40-45, as the position was posted for. It's what they're budgeted for the position so it's not hurting them at all.

Man if there's one thing I've learned both from reading this thread and from my own personal experience, it's that how much you make has nothing to do with how qualified you are, or how long you've worked in the field. It's about how much you project and believe that you're worth that much. If you only ever think you'll be worth $30k, then that's all you'll ever actually be worth. And if you don't actually think you're worth that much, then fake it. False confidence is almost as good as real confidence.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

psydude posted:

Man if there's one thing I've learned both from reading this thread and from my own personal experience, it's that how much you make has nothing to do with how qualified you are, or how long you've worked in the field. It's about how much you project and believe that you're worth that much. If you only ever think you'll be worth $30k, then that's all you'll ever actually be worth. And if you don't actually think you're worth that much, then fake it. False confidence is almost as good as real confidence.

False confidence might be even better. If you're good enough at acting that people can't tell the confidence is false, you can stretch that into false contrition, shame, and a whole host of other normal human emotions.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wizard of the Deep posted:

False confidence might be even better. If you're good enough at acting that people can't tell the confidence is false, you can stretch that into false contrition, shame, and a whole host of other normal human emotions.

It's a thin line between convincing other people and convincing yourself. This is good if you have imposter syndrome or self esteem problems. This is bad if your fake confidence is unwarranted; then it's just hubris.

Also, faking a whole host of other emotions is supremely manipulative.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evol262 posted:

It's a thin line between convincing other people and convincing yourself. This is good if you have imposter syndrome or self esteem problems. This is bad if your fake confidence is unwarranted; then it's just hubris.

I hate to break it to you but being manipulative isn't always a negative trait, especially in salary negotiations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

The industry's current obsession with empathy is pretty much faking that you care about the user's problems (for all the right reasons). The difference between persuasion and manipulation can be measured in degrees of intent.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

I hate to break it to you but being manipulative isn't always a negative trait, especially in salary negotiations.

We're gonna have to disagree, since it's my stance that being manipulative is universally deplorable. Negotiations can also turn out your way coming from a place of honesty, even if it's demanding or at-odds with what they want to hear.

As a general rule, when asking yourself whether something is a negative trait or acting in bad faith, you should say "what if everyone acted this way?"

While I'm 100% convinced that you're going to respond by saying that the employer is not telling the whole truth (especially because they're not going to tell you what their max number is), I would say that faking emotions to sway people is not comparable, and that something can be true even if it's not the absolute extent of it.

I appreciate you "breaking it" to me like it's something new instead of the tired old "you'll never get anywhere in business unless you act lawful evil" forums/MBA trope, though

Misogynist posted:

The industry's current obsession with empathy is pretty much faking that you care about the user's problems (for all the right reasons). The difference between persuasion and manipulation can be measured in degrees of intent.

I'd also say that politeness and "empathy" towards users in tickets and whatnot is not the same as viewing learning to fake shame, and is instead an extension of "common courtesy" as expected social politeness in English-speaking societies, and not overly dishonest, as there's no expectation of honesty

evol262 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 27, 2015

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

evol262 posted:

While I'm 100% convinced that you're going to respond by saying that the employer is not telling the whole truth (especially because they're not going to tell you what their max number is), I would say that faking emotions to sway people is not comparable, and that something can be true even if it's not the absolute extent of it.

What behavior is not revealing their max number comparable to?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

I'd also say that politeness and "empathy" towards users in tickets and whatnot is not the same as viewing learning to fake shame, and is instead an extension of "common courtesy" as expected social politeness in English-speaking societies, and not overly dishonest, as there's no expectation of honesty
Whoa, okay, you're at a big disconnect over what empathy means in industry right now. Talk to some UX people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Making people think you give a drat is 50% of business.

The other 50% is bribing them to stop giving a drat.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MagnumOpus posted:

What behavior is not revealing their max number comparable to?

Operating within the bounds of what is possible and mutually agreeable. That's a number that both parties can accept without qualms or acrimony, and acting in a manner in which "do unto others" applies. In truth, I don't hold to "do unto others" as a valid statement, but a being necessarily imposes their own view of morality upon the world, etc. Definitions of anguish and bad faith are too long to go into here, and readily available on the internet anyway.

Being manipulative, cruel, dishonest, or other "bad" adjectives requires defining yourself first as a manipulative/cruel/dishonest/whatever person first.

Misogynist posted:

Whoa, okay, you're at a big disconnect over what empathy means in industry right now. Talk to some UX people.

I have rarely see such a wishy-washy, feel-good, buzzwordy "meanings" as what empathy means to UX people, which is only semantically different from plain advertising terminology as far as I've seen. All the same elements of "find out what your users want" (so you can target them better, sell them more, and keep them longer), "find out what their use patterns are" (so you can get them to spend more time on your site, or less time and better impressions), etc. I think this is simple rebranding, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I was doing some FLS the other day and a Doctor called in and asked to send him someone. Obviously I asked what for, since he seemingly didn't feel like volunteering that info. He told me 'To turn a monitor around'. So I asked him what kind of mount he was talking about, he couln't say. Asked him what kind of tools we should bring, to which he replied 'You'd just need two hands'.
Went there, one of the Lab Analysts tells me "That's the computer there, please turn it around".
Yes. They requested Medical IT to come and take the computer out, turn it around and put it back in. We are talking about a free floating computer with no short cables or anything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess that's one upside of working for an MSP. We get to mark those calls billable.

I mean, it doesn't make me any more money, but gently caress those people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess that's one upside of working for an MSP. We get to mark those calls billable.

Back when we still had medical clients(gently caress that forever) probably half our service calls were to plug something back in that someone had unplugged.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Even better, you can charge them extra for the "Premium VIP White Glove" service. You know. The rear end in a top hat tax.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Back in September, I was let go from a Network Admin position because my boss at the time scapegoated me for a bunch of stuff he dropped the ball on. I was inconvenienced but I wanted to be out of that place anyway so it's fine. The boss was an IT director who consistently questioned his staff on every decision even though he didn't possess the expertise necessary to understand their answers (I once had to explain gigabit/gigabyte to him). I found out this morning that he will be fired on Monday for, among other reasons, all the stuff he pinned on me.

I'm not usually one to celebrate when people have bad things happen but damned if this coffee isn't delicious with that extra pump of schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

vibur posted:

I'm not usually one to celebrate when people have bad things happen but damned if this coffee isn't delicious with that extra pump of schadenfreude.

It's perfectly fine to take a bit of joy in bad things happening to bad people every now and again.