Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the polite term for that is "networking". I would think it's a bit different though in a situation with auditions. Although now that I think about it I guess I'm not sure how that's different from a job interview. Because the trial involves actually doing the job itself, in some small part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

I think the polite term for that is "networking". I would think it's a bit different though in a situation with auditions. Although now that I think about it I guess I'm not sure how that's different from a job interview. Because the trial involves actually doing the job itself, in some small part?

Right, but Shizuka didn't fail at doing her job, she was a good voice actress and one of the favourites of the Director before that got shot down. I mean, you can say its pseudo-nepotism, but the voice meeting ep was all about how the choice of voice actress isn't purely "who sounds best"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conot posted:

Right, but Shizuka didn't fail at doing her job, she was a good voice actress and one of the favourites of the Director before that got shot down. I mean, you can say its pseudo-nepotism, but the voice meeting ep was all about how the choice of voice actress isn't purely "who sounds best"

It should be pointed out she was still only his 2nd favorite for that role.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be pointed out she was still only his 2nd favorite for that role.

It was a bit of tease for them to say at that point that some of the VAs were really busy and might not have time for their roles. Made me near-certain at the time that she was going to get one of the roles, being second in line. Still, it was nice of the show to defy my expectations and not go down that road, though it does make me wonder if Shizuka is ever going to land a role within the show's run, let alone one on the project the rest of them are working on.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's probably better that she didn't have a kind of nepotism with that role. The way this show is, she probably would rather feel like she earned it than to have a friend cast her because they're friends.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Exodus episode 1 was pretty good.

I wonder if PA Works will make it into a real series? Genshiken Season 1's show-in-a-show, KujiUn, started out as a OVA bundled with the Genshiken DVDs but eventually got made into a full 13-episode cour. Director Kinoshita's VA was Madarame in the original Genshiken.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

sincx posted:

Exodus episode 1 was pretty good.

I wonder if PA Works will make it into a real series? Genshiken Season 1's show-in-a-show, KujiUn, started out as a OVA bundled with the Genshiken DVDs but eventually got made into a full 13-episode cour. Director Kinoshita's VA was Madarame in the original Genshiken.

please god no don't even talk about this because it might happen, and gently caress that poo poo because this let them put three genshiken ova episodes on the kujian discs, but they were kind of vital links between the seasons instead of throwaway sidestory, and jesus christ why would anybody want to watch kujian no stop it

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Also that Exodus episode was not good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

please god no don't even talk about this because it might happen, and gently caress that poo poo because this let them put three genshiken ova episodes on the kujian discs, but they were kind of vital links between the seasons instead of throwaway sidestory, and jesus christ why would anybody want to watch kujian no stop it
Was that the horrible poo poo show they kept watching in the first season? The one the guys made the doujinshi about? Why would anyone make that into a real show? :gonk:
I thought the whole reason for it in the series was to show how creepy and otaku they were since they could like it.

Genshiken was such fun to watch and now I want to see it again.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 26, 2015

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wow.

That didn't come from anywhere I expected it!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EXODUS! was dumb and fun. I'd watch it.
(I'll also watch the new episode of SHIROBAKO.)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Latest episode was pretty intense. I laughed pretty hard when Tarou popped up just because he heard his name. Also, Hiroaka continues to be a gently caress, big surprise!

Also, it's really great to have Yano back.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 26, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I loved the discussion between the studio head and Hiroaka.

"Upset about him calling you a lazy gently caress? Yeah. That hurts because you know it's true." Hopefully we're going to see Hiroaka smarten up a little.

Also, going ahead on the story idea seems like a bad idea especially after what happened with the character designs. I'd go to the editor in person again and have them check right there that they have the go ahead. It's probably gonna bite them in the rear end again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
/\/\/\/\/\ Hell, I'd have surprise dropped in on the author himself months ago.

I still don't really understand how Tarou metamorphosed from "loving idiot that I hate" to "lovable idiot who I love to hate." I... I no longer want him to lose his job.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 26, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ Hell, I'd have surprise dropped in on the author himself months ago.

I still don't really understand how Tarou metamorphosed from "loving idiot that I hate" to "lovable idiot who I love to hate." I... I no longer want him to lose his job.

He's always energetic and upbeat and generally means well and actually tries to do his job, but is still a complete doof and sort incompetent. Compared to most of the cast, the doof part was what made him relatively unlikable. However, now there are characters who actually don't care or otherwise want to avoid responsibility relative to the rest of the cast.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

He's always energetic and upbeat and generally means well and actually tries to do his job, but is still a complete doof and sort incompetent. Compared to most of the cast, the doof part was what made him relatively unlikable. However, now there are characters who actually don't care or otherwise want to avoid responsibility relative to the rest of the cast.

Yeah, we all thought Tarou was pretty awful, then that new production assistant dropped in and it was like staring into the abyss in comparison.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Wait, is there an actual episode of Exodus released, or are people just talking about the episode fragments in the main series?

Man, that was an intense episode. Also, based on those two seconds of interaction, I want the lovely production assistant to reluctantly become the second person in the office that can actually communicate with moeblob artist.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there is an actual episode released.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The difference is that Tarou got promoted into a position where he can no longer sabotage production, so suddenly he goes from being goofball who creates suffering to just goofball

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I liked that they addressed Aoi's role in the show and in her group of friends through Aria.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Guyver posted:

I liked that they addressed Aoi's role in the show and in her group of friends through Aria.

Yea the part with her reading the lines at the end was a really good if kind of sad moment in itself.

I did also enjoy the talk between Hiroaka and studio head as well. Dropping the truth bombs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Guyver posted:

Are they talking about Aoi, or Shizuka though?

That scripting argument they had really reminded me of the discussion about whether Shizuka is going to get a role at the end.

Also I look forward to the Tarou and Hiroaka buddy-cop episode.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Definently Aoi. Shizuka and the others all know what they want. Become a voice actor, a CG animator, a 2D animator and a writer. Aoi doesn't, she loves anime and she loves her friends but she doesn't really have a goal out side of helping her friends. Which is exactly what production does, helps facilitate the creation of art.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That fight was satisfying to watch, and he gets punished by Tarou afterwards too. :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dragon enthusiast posted:

The difference is that Tarou got promoted into a position where he can no longer sabotage production, so suddenly he goes from being goofball who creates suffering to just goofball

What do you mean Tarou has the same job he always had. He just has not screwed up again like in did back in those early episodes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like it when Tarou gets hit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The amazing part is that one day, Tarou will probably become a director and maybe not actually terrible at it. Miyamori would become studio head though and she'll treat everyone to donuts like what's his name does with all sorts of food.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That was nice how they diplomatically addressed and handled the "must be nice to get ahead because ur a gurl!", but yea Hiraoka can go suck a dick.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

What do you mean Tarou has the same job he always had. He just has not screwed up again like in did back in those early episodes.

Didn't he get promoted to head production assistant? Perhaps his work now more involves delegating tasks to the other production assistants rather than doing most of it himself, so the work actually gets done (unless Hiraoka's told to do it).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

smenj posted:

Didn't he get promoted to head production assistant? Perhaps his work now more involves delegating tasks to the other production assistants rather than doing most of it himself, so the work actually gets done (unless Hiraoka's told to do it).

No that's Miyamori's job as Production Manager. Ochiai the old Head Production assistant still did normal production assistant stuff and Tarou is still in charging of getting stuff for certain episodes. (Generally the more important ones from what I can tell.) In fact I don't think there is that big a difference between the jobs.

It should be pointed out that he only got the role as Head Production Assistant because there was no one else around to take that job at the time

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be pointed out that he only got the role as Head Production Assistant because there was no one else around to take that job at the time

Sometimes nine tenth of the battle is being in the right place at the right time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I loved that scene in the train car where she was coming up with dialogue and stories for everyone there, that was a fantastic character moment.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thing about Tarou is that he only makes the same mistake once. Whereas Hiroaka just does the same lazy unmotivated cynical bullshit day after day for year after year.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Fangz posted:

The thing about Tarou is that he only makes the same mistake once. Whereas Hiroaka just does the same lazy unmotivated cynical bullshit day after day for year after year.

And he's tied the anchor that is Titanic studios around Musani's neck, ultimately making more work for everyone and possibly jeopardizing the whole project.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hah this show is just the bomb, Hiraoka getting curb stomped by the prez is the best thing ever. Also I like that Diesel-san has some balls

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is it weird that I find this show...kind of theraputic? Like, it feels weird to get kind of a fundamental emotional reaction off of a show that doesn't...feel profound or game-changing or anything, but I dunno. Something about its fundamental optimism with regard to the daily grind combined with how cool all the characters are make it kind of a revitalizer for my own college grind.

I mean, I'm about the same age as Aoi and Friends, so it's entirely possible the show's just better than I've given it credit for and I'm right in one of its target audiences. Just sayin'.

Also, Diesel is really cool and got some great characterization this scene, Hiraoka needs to be punched.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hiraoka needs to be punched.

I think he did offscreen during his fight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he did offscreen during his fight.

I don't see any bruises.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

AnacondaHL posted:

That was nice how they diplomatically addressed and handled the "must be nice to get ahead because ur a gurl!", but yea Hiraoka can go suck a dick.
I really want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here and imagine that that only came from bitterness at seeing actual examples of other male artists not being able to achieve their ambitions because of blah blah events. Mostly because I'm desperate for a justification for him being such a poo poo.

Neeksy posted:

I loved that scene in the train car where she was coming up with dialogue and stories for everyone there, that was a fantastic character moment.
Yeah, that was amazing. Girl's working on being a writer 24/7, even when she's moping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I really want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here and imagine that that only came from bitterness at seeing actual examples of other male artists not being able to achieve their ambitions because of blah blah events. Mostly because I'm desperate for a justification for him being such a poo poo.

Hiraoka seems to be the burnt out type who's seen way too many projects fail due to optimism or whatever

• Locked thread