Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

batman sucks you guys nothing to see here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

drat pwnstar you're right.

There's utterly no difference between the crooks that commit violent crimes and the crooks that stop them before innocents get harmed or killed. Labeling both types as criminals has real meaning here.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Pwnstar posted:

Just because nobody is charging him with anything doesn't mean he's not committing crimes on a massive scale. It just means Gordon etc are complicit in these and other criminal acts.

By Gordon etc, do you mean the entire local, state, and federal government? Because that is pretty much what it is. How is it committing crimes on a massive scale when no law enforcement agency and no one in the justice system is trying to stop you? I mean, the Justice League has worked directly with the President of the US.

No, for the most part being a superhero in most DC continuities is generally very legal, except for the times writers don't want it to be.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

You kind of stop being a criminal when you are working directly with law enforcement and the government in general and are never getting arrested or charged with crimes.

Something something something half of politics something something something Richard Nixon G Gordon Liddy E Howard Hunt and James McCord

ToastyPotato posted:

By Gordon etc, do you mean the entire local, state, and federal government? Because that is pretty much what it is. How is it committing crimes on a massive scale when no law enforcement agency and no one in the justice system is trying to stop you? I mean, the Justice League has worked directly with the President of the US.

No, for the most part being a superhero in most DC continuities is generally very legal, except for the times writers don't want it to be.

Oh okay we're just talking about comic book land then

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah, I am talking pretty exclusively about comic book superheroes. Especially ones who tend to work directly with police and the government. Like Batman.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant. Batman isn't real life, it doesn't have the nuance of real life. Its about a dude who dresses like a bat and kicks the poo poo out of a clown/burn victim/plant woman/ roid user and leaves them for the police. Also the henchmen in the arkham games are supposed to be all hardened psycho sick fucks or mercenaries who run over their own sister if their costumed boss asked them, of course they are going to call catwoman sexist poo poo/rape threats. because they are the baddies.

edit: off that topic, what do you think they are going to do with Hush in knight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pengun101 posted:

Also the henchmen in the arkham games are supposed to be all hardened psycho sick fucks or mercenaries who run over their own sister if their costumed boss asked them, of course they are going to call catwoman sexist poo poo/rape threats. because they are the baddies.

There's literally a scene where, if you don't swoop down right away, you hear two Henchman talking. One talks about how he hates what he does but has no choice. He was put into jail and once he got out he couldn't find a legitimate job. He only works for criminals because he can't find a job anywhere and he has a kid who he has to take care of.

This isn't subtext or reading outside the lines. It's literally something that happens in-game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There are a number of henchmen who aren't just outright evil, even in the first game.

There's one guy in the sewer who begs Joker not to kill his family, and another guy who's uncomfortable releasing the Titan runoff into Gotham because his mother lives near the Gotham Bay.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pengun101 posted:

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant. Batman isn't real life, it doesn't have the nuance of real life. Its about a dude who dresses like a bat and kicks the poo poo out of a clown/burn victim/plant woman/ roid user and leaves them for the police. Also the henchmen in the arkham games are supposed to be all hardened psycho sick fucks or mercenaries who run over their own sister if their costumed boss asked them, of course they are going to call catwoman sexist poo poo/rape threats. because they are the baddies.

edit: off that topic, what do you think they are going to do with Hush in knight?

Honestly? I think Scarecrow will end up being Hush, or something like that. Scarecrow's motivations have completely changed. Arkham Knight will probably actually be a genuinely new character but there is gonna be a bait and switch somewhere.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There's literally a scene where, if you don't swoop down right away, you hear two Henchman talking. One talks about how he hates what he does but has no choice. He was put into jail and once he got out he couldn't find a legitimate job. He only works for criminals because he can't find a job anywhere and he has a kid who he has to take care of.

This isn't subtext or reading outside the lines. It's literally something that happens in-game.

Batman did this dude a favor by paralyzing him and putting him on disability.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it always annoyed me that you could listen in on a guy talk about his plans to become an accountant and help other criminals go straight, but then the instant the guy sees you he runs straight at you and tries to knife you over and over and over even if you just stand there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

I havent heard that one. I love the thug conversations in the arkham games. Its probably one of my favorite parts of the games.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah it always annoyed me that you could listen in on a guy talk about his plans to become an accountant and help other criminals go straight, but then the instant the guy sees you he runs straight at you and tries to knife you over and over and over even if you just stand there.

Yeah. I'd take the idea that Batman is some hyper-fascist icon more seriously if mooks like this showed up in the Arkham series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI Batman in reality is a bad idea, that's why nobody is Batman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pengun101 posted:

I havent heard that one. I love the thug conversations in the arkham games. Its probably one of my favorite parts of the games.

I firmly believe a significant portion of the many, many, many hours I have put into these games was taken up with Batman just hanging out on a gargoyle somewhere listening to thugs shooting the poo poo. :allears:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pengun101 posted:

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler

That is the one that makes the least sense to me. Batman's MO is stopping violent crimes in progress. I want to read about how a SJW Batman handles these things someday.

*Batman observes a home invasion taking place*
"Hmmm according to the batcomputer the homeowner is lower-middle class while the invader is poor working class... better let this one play out"
*Two gunshots are heard from the house*
"Regardless of who was shot and how easily I could have stopped this it was better that I not interfere"
*Home invader sacks home, speeds away in car*
"Hmmm should I catch this guy now and perhaps keep this from happening again?"
*looks up further details on invader's bio*
"No. As a rich white man I am not comfortable with apprehending a bi-racial working class man."
*Batman glides away*

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I do, however, think that Arkham Knight should make sure that all the thugs you meet and beat are actually doing very illegal things when you encounter them.

From City and Origins you'd think that Batman just takes loitering super seriously. It's definitely awkward.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

You know alot of people said they didn't like Arkham/City Batman, but I thought Origins Batman was more of a dick than both. Granted yeah rookie and all but he was just a straight up dick.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

hard counter posted:

I do, however, think that Arkham Knight should make sure that all the thugs you meet and beat are actually doing very illegal things when you encounter them.

From City and Origins you'd think that Batman just takes loitering super seriously. It's definitely awkward.

At least in City they were prisoners, not just randos. Doesn't make it alright to just beat up prisoners, but whatever.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Shindragon posted:

You know alot of people said they didn't like Arkham/City Batman, but I thought Origins Batman was more of a dick than both. Granted yeah rookie and all but he was just a straight up dick.

I liked Asylum Batman. He wasn't a dick, he was just kind of smug.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

hard counter posted:

That is the one that makes the least sense to me. Batman's MO is stopping violent crimes in progress. I want to read about how a SJW Batman handles these things someday.

The argument is rooted less in "SJW" stuff (whatevs the gently caress that means) and more "Batman is constantly presented as morally, physically and intellectually superior to... everyone, runs around beating up poor people who have nowhere else to turn in their lives than crime (depending on the author) while protecting the systems that put them there and sitting on billions of dollars that could actually change people's lives (again, depending on the author) and moaning about how his parents were murdered and never, ever being accountable to anyone, even the people he protects."

You don't have to be superhuman to have too much power, and even real people rarely use what power they have well...

E: So how about that Arkham Knight jack'o'lantern mask, huh?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is the worst page of posts I've ever seen on Games. God help you all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

HaitianDivorce posted:

The argument is rooted less in "SJW" stuff (whatevs the gently caress that means) and more "Batman is constantly presented as morally, physically and intellectually superior to... everyone, runs around beating up poor people who have nowhere else to turn in their lives than crime (depending on the author) while protecting the systems that put them there and sitting on billions of dollars that could actually change people's lives (again, depending on the author) and moaning about how his parents were murdered and never, ever being accountable to anyone, even the people he protects."

You don't have to be superhuman to have too much power, and even real people rarely use what power they have well...

E: So how about that Arkham Knight jack'o'lantern mask, huh?

Batman was never morally superior to Superman based on his MO alone and Clark has called him out on it in the past. Also, Batman is accountable to the JLA and has been on several occassions when his plans backfire, which admittedly isn't very often.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shindragon posted:

No way, the AC version of Batman was way worse. At least in Origins he realized that he was being an rear end in a top hat and calms the gently caress done. In AC he's a dick to all of his allies the entire time for no reason at all.

As there's no way they don't cram the Joker in this game at some point. Probably thanks to some fear toxin hallucination.

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 27, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

net cafe scandal posted:

It totally and completely is. I can now say I've read someone argue that Bats breaking up something like a gang shootout over territory is ethically wrong because he's interfering in the lives of improvished who know no other way and also because of the ease at which he could break up said fight. Surely the best way of stopping the shootout that's happening right now before people die is selling off the bat-gear and then piling those millions ontop of the other millions Bruce has donated to programs designed for bettering the life decisions of kids.

While we are at it, perhaps we should eliminate regular police forces as well as those consists of well-off, trained people who disrupt the lives of the poor driven to crime by circumstance. The millions, if not billions for a large city, of dollars used to fund them could be better spent elsewhere.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

hard counter posted:

It totally and completely is. I can now say I've read someone argue that Bats breaking up something like a gang shootout over territory is ethically wrong because he's interfering in the lives of improvished who know no other way and also because of the ease at which he could break up said fight. Surely the best way of stopping the shootout that's happening right now before people die is selling off the bat-gear and then piling those millions ontop of the other millions Bruce has donated to programs designed for bettering the life decisions of kids.

While we are at it, perhaps we should eliminate regular police forces as well as those consists of well-off, trained people who disrupt the lives of the poor driven to crime by circumstance. The millions, if not billions for a large city, of dollars used to fund them could be better spent elsewhere.

Where are people arguing this?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Batman is a character that you can interpret in a lot of different ways and that's what's fun about stories. Nolan Batman is a childish tyrant who eventually gets over himself. BTAS Batman is a crusader of justice and sympathy. Arkham Batman is a stubborn dick who refuses help from anyone and everyone, and it looks like that's about to bite him in the rear end in Arkham Knight. All these interpretations can co-exist and be interesting on their own, and none of them are "missing the point" of the character.

pengun101 posted:

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant.

Nobody brought this up at all and you're being a weirdo with an agenda to push.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

you clearly werent around for the old minority perspectives in video game thread. it was great, a real hoot and a holler

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

When I talk about Batman being a huge douchebag, I'm talking pretty strictly about the Arkham games version of him. Because in the comics (depending on the writer of course), Batman is actually a pretty good dude! Wayne Enterprises has a system in which they hire former felons and help them turn their lives around, Bruce Wayne sits on the Arkham board just to make sure that the inmates are receiving genuine help and not being abused, he donates asstons of money to every helpful project he can think of and makes very real efforts to reform criminals where he thinks he can. The games don't have this because it wouldn't be that interesting really to play a game where you're a CEO of a company going over hiring practices and making sure criminals get a fair shot, but the game also throws a ton of background information at you and it doesn't mention any of that sort of stuff in those either and I think that's a shame.

pengun101 posted:

Supposedly if you enter the right code into the Arkham Knight website (I don't know the code offhand), you get a bit of a bio on Scarecrow that mentions Thomas Elliot did some reconstructive surgery on his face after Croc loving mauled him and Scarecrow deliberately asked Elliot to make him look hosed up and scary. I don't know if that means he's on board with the villain team or not, although my guess for the game is that he's mostly going to be dicking around pretending to be Bruce Wayne and eventually getting punched.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Thomas Elliot did some reconstructive surgery on his face after Croc loving mauled him and Scarecrow deliberately asked Elliot to make him look hosed up and scary.

If I wasn't so sure I'd get probated for posting a meme, I feel like it'd practically be mandated for me to make a "just gently caress me up" Arkham picture right now. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In AC, some street-level prisoners will run away when they see you. These characters cannot be targeted.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

hard counter posted:

Do you actually read posts before opining on them?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CuwiKhons posted:

When I talk about Batman being a huge douchebag, I'm talking pretty strictly about the Arkham games version of him. Because in the comics (depending on the writer of course), Batman is actually a pretty good dude! Wayne Enterprises has a system in which they hire former felons and help them turn their lives around, Bruce Wayne sits on the Arkham board just to make sure that the inmates are receiving genuine help and not being abused, he donates asstons of money to every helpful project he can think of and makes very real efforts to reform criminals where he thinks he can. The games don't have this because it wouldn't be that interesting really to play a game where you're a CEO of a company going over hiring practices and making sure criminals get a fair shot, but the game also throws a ton of background information at you and it doesn't mention any of that sort of stuff in those either and I think that's a shame.
To be fair, City starts with Bruce Wayne protesting the super prison

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, City starts with Bruce Wayne protesting the super prison

Wasn't that because he wanted to get kidnapped and put inside so he could keep beating up poor people?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Wasn't that because he wanted to get kidnapped and put inside so he could keep beating up poor people?

No, he explicitly wanted to shut it down legally and then he got grabbed by surprise and discovered Hugo Strange was batshit

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GigaPeon posted:

No, he was protesting because he was jealous that he hadn't thought of it first. If you keep all the criminals in one fenced off area it cuts down on all that boring, stupid detective work. More time for punching.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You all judge him for that but how many of you enjoy the arenas set up for your entertainment, outside the main campaign? That's what I thought. :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

You all judge him for that but how many of you enjoy the arenas set up for your entertainment, outside the main campaign? That's what I thought. :colbert:

No, no, no, you're confused. That's Batman beating up all those indigent fellows. I mean, it's right there on the screen, plain as day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I know I'm in the bad part of town when everyone is roided out and wearing jumpsuits. Luckily, Canada is on easy, so thunderbolts galore above people's heads when they intend me harm. loving Girl Scout, trying to sell me cookies? BAM! Enjoy your broken elbow, bitch. Elder Gillespie trying to tell me about Kolob? I hope you tithed away enough for a new pelvis, you scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

No, no, no, you're confused. That's Batman beating up all those indigent fellows. I mean, it's right there on the screen, plain as day.

poo poo, sorry. Got Mr Wayne and the Bat mixed up.

• Locked thread