Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sandbagger SA posted:

Yup. When I was a boy scout it was like that too. The larger organization is by and large co-opted by the Mormon church but individual troops don't necessarily partake in the Kool-Aid as heavily.

As a still active/faithful LDS person this is largely true from my experience. I went to scouts through my youth but didn't really care for it. Just more interested in camping and hanging out with my friends in my neighborhood. I never earned my Eagle Scout either. I still donate to Friends of Scouting each year that it comes around and realistically I will probably serve in some capacity in the scouting program by way of receiving an assignment from church. Lots of good memories of scout stuff, mostly discovering what was and wasn't flammable during scout camps. Living in Utah we don't really get much diversity in our scout troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bovril Delight posted:

What weather are you encountering? I'm running the DW but we rarely have any weather below freezing. When it ices over the whole area shuts down anyways. I put the DWS on my wife's car and they are super quiet, seemed to help MPG a bit from the stickier summer tires she had.

Valley Metro, Arizona. Sunny 362 days a year. :v:

I was mocking someone in YOSPOS to earn this terrible avatar. I can't be arsed to burn :10bux: to change it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of Arizona, if this passes it's pretty much acknowledging that outside of school zones, the speed limit is really sign+9:

AZFamily posted:

PHOENIX (AP) -- The House has taken steps to approve a bill that makes the maximum penalty for speeding up to ten miles over the speed limit just $15. Rep. David Stevens' proposal builds on current law stating officers may issue a "waste of a finite resource" ticket for drivers traveling up to 10 miles over the limit in a 55 mph zone. House Bill 2662 changes the language to encompass any street or highway with exceptions for school crossing zones, construction zones and business or residential districts. The bill states the violation shall not exceed $15 plus surcharges, can't be reported to insurance companies and would not add points to a driver's license. The proposal passed on a voice vote Thursday and now awaits a formal vote.

I don't think I've ever been pulled over for anything less than 15 over anyway (not counting "your light is out" or that one time I street-raced a Civic in my grandma's E320).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hahaha thats great!

I've been ticketed for 5mph over in shitpile.

....$200 later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Memento posted:

IT, in all of their infinite wisdom and grandeur, decided earlier this year that the anti-virus software we use, needed to scan files as they're downloaded. This adds a little extra time to downloading things, so in order to avoid network congestion, they limited the size of files we're able to download to 100 megabytes. I was upstairs yesterday asking about solutions for me to get this dataset. One of them had the loving nerve to look me straight in the eye and say "Oh, CSIRO? Aren't they in Clayton (Melbourne suburb)? You could just go out there with a portable HDD and get the data straight from them!". I smiled, nodded, went back downstairs and explained the situation to my manager. She was loving steamed. Direct quote: "What sort of loving answer is that?"

This is sadly common, and indicative of very poor IT management. It's staff who don't understand the business requirements of their own company coupled with a manager who also doesn't know or doesn't care who hires/retains the wrong people.

I've been called in as a consultant (a Bob straight out of Office Space) a few times to go in and clean poo poo up like that when it finally got to the higher-ups. It's always the same story: the IT staff feels like it's an "us vs. them" situation with the users, and don't understand that they are on the EXPENSE side of the ledger and should be doing everything they can to understand what the people who actually generate income/do the real work of the company need and coming up with real solutions to make that work.

My recommendations have typically included firing the manager and several staff members who reek of that attitude and starting over with people who don't have attitude problems and a manager who actually gets this who has the authority to fire staff to make sure none of these "team cancer" techs can infect anyone else with their poo poo attitude.

gently caress corporate IT.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been ticketed for 5mph overDWB in shitpile.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 27, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tusen Takk posted:

Me and my wife just filled out our W4s since we just got married and it takes less out of our cheque now, and if we had kids it'd take even less (though it does give you the option to enter 0 to make sure you don't end up owing)

Are you sure you did it right? :confused:

I would hope so! I used a crummy calculator on our internal ADP portal. We have some weird income stuff going on, so that could skew things that janked my withholding I guess.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of Arizona, if this passes it's pretty much acknowledging that outside of school zones, the speed limit is really sign+9:

I don't think I've ever been pulled over for anything less than 15 over anyway (not counting "your light is out" or that one time I street-raced a Civic in my grandma's E320).

Holy poo poo this owns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

I would hope so! I used a crummy calculator on our internal ADP portal. We have some weird income stuff going on, so that could skew things that janked my withholding I guess.

ADP's web interface is probably the most horrible piece of code still working on the internet. gently caress it and absolutely everything about it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

ADP's web interface is probably the most horrible piece of code still working on the internet. gently caress it and absolutely everything about it.

Agreed. It took me 3 or 4 tries for it to realize that I was trying to add kids, etc. I'll have a redo of it on another calculator and see what it says.

Which, we still need to do taxes, so that's going to be an adventure in and of itself.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

I say this pretty much every day. The amount of poo poo running in the background of my work laptop to make sure I don't visit Facebook slows it down to an absolute crawl. Pretty sure there's something running that has a massive memory leak requiring a restart every couple of hours.

On top of that, our internet access is on a vpn that routes all the internet traffic from our office to houston to Oslo back to Houston then to our office. 80 percent of our work is online to proprietary company websites / programs that have not been updated to work with anything over about IE 7. I have a company issued iPad that I can't use because safari, chrome, Firefox won't work these programs. I think I have turned it on once since I got it. When I try and scan documents, if it's over something like 1.25 mb, the system rejects it thinking its a virus. Plus, our document storage is remote to Houston (we have no local server), so every time we need store a file, it a) causes our office wide internet to slow down even further and b) locks up the laptop until the transfer is complete.

The absolute poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae is that we have pretty much the slowest cable broadband possible.

At a 4 man office that profited over 1 mil last year.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 27, 2015

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Motronic posted:

This is sadly common, and indicative of very poor IT management. It's staff who don't understand the business requirements of their own company coupled with a manager who also doesn't know or doesn't care who hires/retains the wrong people.

I've been called in as a consultant (a Bob straight out of Office Space) a few times to go in and clean poo poo up like that when it finally got to the higher-ups. It's always the same story: the IT staff feels like it's an "us vs. them" situation with the users, and don't understand that they are on the EXPENSE side of the ledger and should be doing everything they can to understand what the people who actually generate income/do the real work of the company need and coming up with real solutions to make that work.

My recommendations have typically included firing the manager and several staff members who reek of that attitude and starting over with people who don't have attitude problems and a manager who actually gets this who has the authority to fire staff to make sure none of these "team cancer" techs can infect anyone else with their poo poo attitude.

I work for a company that does contracted IT work for a lot of school districts. Almost every time we get a new school district we have to work to overcome the "us vs. them" mentality that the old IT department had nurtured. Especially in education, it is really easy to BS your way into an IT job and then hide your lack of knowledge by denying requests under the umbrella of security. What we like to hammer into the heads of new employees is that it is above everything else a customer service job first.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meanwhile in Seattle, they are lower speed limits because apparently pedestrians not knowing how to cross the street means that cars need to drive slower!

quote:

In 2015, we’ll launch a 20 MPH Zone program in up to 10 areas. These will mainly be located close to schools and parks. We’ll drop the speed limit and install signs and pavement markings to make sure intersections are clear (to improve visibility for all travelers).

We’ll also be lowering speed limits on busier arterial streets. By the end of 2015, downtown streets will be 25 mph (they’re currently 30 mph). We’ll also be lowering speeds on major arterial corridors throughout the city – Rainier Ave S, Martin Luther King Jr Way S, Airport Way S, 35th Ave SW, SW Roxbury St, Delridge Way SW, Fauntleroy Way SW, Harbor Ave SW, and W Marginal Way SW. We’ll pair these speed limit reductions with street design changes, which will engineer the roads for safe travel speeds.

Those are some pretty major roads that people use to commute all over the city and some of which never have pedestrians on them. I love this city and have spent my entire life here, but I'm starting to lose my patience with how its changing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Motronic posted:

The job of IT is to enable people to bring money into the company to do their job as efficiently as possible within the given constraints (manpower/money/space/etc).
Even with IT companies, internal facing IT is about keeping the external facing IT people running.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly they'd be better off just replacing the signs with proper limits. Openly saying "go speed" is a great way to diminish respect (even further if that is possible) for the given limits and to trap people in the zones not covered by that exemption.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
-13 this morning

gently caress the earth.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

cursedshitbox posted:

hahaha thats great!

I've been ticketed for 5mph over in shitpile.

....$200 later.

It's an awkward moment when you get a ticket that's worth more than the vehicle you received it in.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just got asked to come in this weekend :smith:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Asked? Or told?

And do you get paid OT?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

SF is getting these.
gently caress.
YES.

Its a Alexander Dennis double decker. (British!). 13,6" high, 42' long, 102" wide. 330hp ISL cummins, 56 thousand pounds.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
But it will piss fluids.... every where!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ha! The US ones are built in Bumfuck Indiana.

and come with a pricetag of nearly a million fuckin' dollars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Utah upped the speed limit along I-15 through the main populated area to 70 MPH a couple months ago. Don't forget that we also have a massive stretch of 80 MPH freeway when heading south to Las Vegas, etc. When there is no traffic it works awesome. During congestion hours it is no different. It makes sense to raise the limit so that as the freeway isn't as busy people can (and do) travel faster.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Here in Michigan the speed limit is 70 on highways (everyone goes at least 80 though) and 55 on large divided highways/avenues (but everyone goes 60-65 on them)

Only time I ever got a speeding ticket was when I was lost out in the country on a country road with no speed limit signs anywhere (on country roads the assumed speed limit is 55), but apparently the assumed speed limit in this little town was 45 :smith:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

Asked? Or told?

And do you get paid OT?

A little of both. The expectation is to work at least 5 hours this weekend. We're behind on work. We get paid OT and they're going to buy us lunch. I'm more bothered by the they preach a lot of work life balance but throw this at the last minute than actually coming in.

Edit : Leonard Nimoy :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

A little of both. The expectation is to work at least 5 hours this weekend. We're behind on work. We get paid OT and they're going to buy us lunch. I'm more bothered by the they preach a lot of work life balance but throw this at the last minute than actually coming in.
Oh boy, this sounds familiar.

mariooncrack posted:

I know. :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

whaaaaaaat

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

At least you get paid O/T (and buying lunch) and if y'all are legit behind, it's justified. I wouldn't complain too much. Whether or not it happens often would determine whether or not they're going back on their work/life balance preaching, in my opinion. If it's not a common occurence then put your big girl panties on, suck it up, and make dat sweet oh tee. Buy go fast parts with it.

The key thing is they are compensating you which is more than most places would do.

disclaimer: i work in a 24/7 industry so O/T is part of the gig. so, when i hear anyone complaining about OT, I just go 'eh, nut up'. Not trying to be antagonistic.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

whaaaaaaat

Ruined my goddamn morning when Google popped that poo poo up on me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

At least you get paid O/T (and buying lunch) and if y'all are legit behind, it's justified. I wouldn't complain too much. Whether or not it happens often would determine whether or not they're going back on their work/life balance preaching, in my opinion. If it's not a common occurence then put your big girl panties on, suck it up, and make dat sweet oh tee. Buy go fast parts with it.

The key thing is they are compensating you which is more than most places would do.

disclaimer: i work in a 24/7 industry so O/T is part of the gig. so, when i hear anyone complaining about OT, I just go 'eh, nut up'. Not trying to be antagonistic.

No, you're right. They treat me well and I know that I have a cushy desk job. I'm just a little frustrated. This is our yearly major software release and they didn't give us enough time to get everything done.... Again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hell I choose to go in tomorrow to fix something rather than wait 2 weeks for general maintenance to do it. I reckon I can wrap it up in 3 hours, so I'll hardly miss any of the day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tide posted:

It does get pretty old though if you're working 3-4 weekends in a row or 700+ hours of OT in a given year

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ah gently caress, Nimoy got beamed back home. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

It does get pretty old though if you're working 3-4 weekends in a row or 700+ hours of OT in a given year
Yup, that's kind of my situation, it gets to you after a while.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've worked Saturday's since I was 16 or so, and I only had to work Sunday's for a year until I had some seniority, but God drat does it suck that the one day pretty much everyone has off is reserved for work, and it makes taking long weekend trips nearly impossible.

I won't mind working them occasionally for OT when I graduate but if it's a constant thing then I'm going to have to go somewhere else because gently caress that.

Speaking of the good old American work ethic, how many weeks vacation does the average joe in CS/IT get? I don't even care if it's PTO I just want to be able to go somewhere for a week or two once or twice a year so I don't completely burn out three years after graduating

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Probably shouldn't have moved to America then

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

Speaking of the good old American work ethic, how many weeks vacation does the average joe in CS/IT get? I don't even care if it's PTO I just want to be able to go somewhere for a week or two once or twice a year so I don't completely burn out three years after graduating

hahah. I saw a salaried tech position this morning, with a union, requiring some weekend work. Yeahhhhh NOPE.

Wifey gets 5 weeks yr. but he's a software engineer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

hahah. I saw a salaried tech position this morning, with a union, requiring some weekend work. Yeahhhhh NOPE.

Wifey gets 5 weeks yr. but he's a software engineer.

When I graduate I'll be a software engineer too, but not in SF.

Gives me hope, though.

rscott posted:

Probably shouldn't have moved to America then

Yeahhh

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Meanwhile in civil service...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Double yeah.
Everyone knows about the rest of the worlds 4 weeks off every year in Australia (plus a weeks worth of public hols and 2 weeks sick leave), and sometimes 5-7 weeks off in Europe.
Have you told fellow workers about long time service leave in Australia?
Old timey left over tradition. Based on after a 7-10 yrs of employment, you get a few months off to catch a slow boat back to blighty to visit rellies back in England you left behind when moving to a penal colony. Of course now we fly over and spend it travelling the world where ever. E:It's awarded pro rata so a sweet cash payment if you don;t stick with an employer for that long.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 27, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm a telecom engineer. I've been with my company for a little under two years and I get 18 days to use for vacation or personal reasons; there used to be a distinction between vacation and personal days but they did away with it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fo3 posted:

Double yeah.
Everyone knows about the rest of the worlds 4 weeks off every year in Australia (plus a weeks worth of public hols and 2 weeks sick leave), and sometimes 5-7 weeks off in Europe.
Have you told fellow workers about long time service leave in Australia?
Old timey left over tradition. Based on after a 7-10 yrs of employment, you get a few months off to catch a slow boat back to blighty to visit rellies back in England you left behind when moving to a penal colony. Of course now we fly over and spend it travelling the world where ever.
Yeah even working for Apple Retail the benefits of working for them over there is astounding. Required 3 days off per week and two of those days must be a weekend, 3 weeks paid leave and 2 weeks paid sick time (it might be more, idr) $25/hr starting wage for even the "lowest" position, poo poo is unreal

zundfolge posted:

I'm a telecom engineer. I've been with my company for a little under two years and I get 18 days to use for vacation or personal reasons; there used to be a distinction between vacation and personal days but they did away with it this year.
:unsmith: this gives me a lot of hope

• Locked thread