Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xelkelvos posted:

Hiraoka seems to be the burnt out type who's seen way too many projects fail due to optimism or whatever

Hiraoka said to Yano that he "woke up from the dream" within a year of starting, though. That's not enough time to see "too many" projects fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hiraoka said to Yano that he "woke up from the dream" within a year of starting, though. That's not enough time to see "too many" projects fail.

Yeah. He seems more like a natural, insufferable cynic.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. He seems more like a natural, insufferable cynic.

Diesel will get Hiroka to read some Dost and she'll read some Diogenes and then they'll be friends.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Hiraoka called out the horible moe-blob for not finishing her sentences so he's the hero of the season imo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she's great and im going to marry her

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Please don't marry people against their will.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sukhoi sukhoi!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Autist animator should get therapy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Autist animator should get therapy.
Don't be silly, therapy doesn't exist in anime. :(

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Poil posted:

Don't be silly, therapy doesn't exist in Japan. :(
Fixed that for you.

Seriously though I hope the end result isn't just her being dependent on Emi and instead using that relationship to learn how to communicate better, because drat.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Twiddy posted:

Fixed that for you.

Wasn't there another anime airing this season whose entire raison d'etre was raising awareness of psychological problems?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao at Tarou blindly walking into the fight room. Good editing there

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can only hope that Ai's arc is that she will eventually develop the confidence to deliver a long verbal smackdown of Hiraoka and his constant denigration of the value of her craft.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Wasn't there another anime airing this season whose entire raison d'etre was raising awareness of psychological problems?
That sounds kinda interesting, what was it called?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Poil posted:

That sounds kinda interesting, what was it called?

All I know about it is from this blurb in the Winter 2014 season thread:

quote:

2/13 Comical Psychosomatic Medicine (Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika)
Manga adaptation by Shin-Ei Animation. It's another short-form anime. A psychologist and his nurse explain mental illnesses to the audience, detailing their origins, prevalence, and treatment. The information is apparently imparted in a cheerful manner with puns, jokes, and pop culture references. An odd thing to decided to make an anime for, but at least it's not yet another fantasy harem school thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twiddy posted:

Fixed that for you.

Seriously though I hope the end result isn't just her being dependent on Emi and instead using that relationship to learn how to communicate better, because drat.

She can barely communicate with Ema. Ema just has a good understanding of her.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, maybe Ema can help her improve.

StandardVC10 posted:

All I know about it is from this blurb in the Winter 2014 season thread:
Thanks. But that description makes me wary.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Well, maybe Ema can help her improve.

Thanks. But that description makes me wary.

First episode was about ED. The second was about pedophilia.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is it weird that I find this show...kind of theraputic? Like, it feels weird to get kind of a fundamental emotional reaction off of a show that doesn't...feel profound or game-changing or anything, but I dunno. Something about its fundamental optimism with regard to the daily grind combined with how cool all the characters are make it kind of a revitalizer for my own college grind.

I mean, I'm about the same age as Aoi and Friends, so it's entirely possible the show's just better than I've given it credit for and I'm right in one of its target audiences. Just sayin'.

Also, Diesel is really cool and got some great characterization this scene, Hiraoka needs to be punched.

I dunno it's just really...down to earth? I laughed out loud when the giant cleavage showed up. It's such a contrast to the show itself - it caught me offguard.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Wow. Sorry if anything I said made it sound remotely appealing or worthwhile at all. :v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

StandardVC10 posted:

Wow. Sorry if anything I said made it sound remotely appealing or worthwhile at all. :v:

The most recent one was about Cognitive Impairment, so the topics are all over the place. It's not that bad, really.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The third one is about dementia/whatever name it is now in the latest DSM so it's not entirely juvenile.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

The subjects so far seem to have been chosen mostly for humor. It's actually not bad, especially compared to the crap that passes for most other 5 minute anime.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is it weird that I find this show...kind of theraputic? Like, it feels weird to get kind of a fundamental emotional reaction off of a show that doesn't...feel profound or game-changing or anything, but I dunno. Something about its fundamental optimism with regard to the daily grind combined with how cool all the characters are make it kind of a revitalizer for my own college grind.

I mean, I'm about the same age as Aoi and Friends, so it's entirely possible the show's just better than I've given it credit for and I'm right in one of its target audiences. Just sayin'.

Also, Diesel is really cool and got some great characterization this scene, Hiraoka needs to be punched.
stressful grind punctuated with small pleasures and timely relief is a hell of a lot more relatable than the no-stakes take-it-easy setting of slice of life stuff or insanely serious constant tension grimdark stuff. I hope it becomes a thing

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

this allusion meant posted:

stressful grind punctuated with small pleasures and timely relief is a hell of a lot more relatable than the no-stakes take-it-easy setting of slice of life stuff or insanely serious constant tension grimdark stuff. I hope it becomes a thing

Yes, please. That scene when Aoi was microwaving food while talking to her mom on the phone got me good. More stuff like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Early Genshiken felt a lot like my College days. Except I was in a D&D club, not an anime one.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Genshiken (original) and Shirobako are probably my top 1 and 2 series respectively. Space Dandy is number 3.

Edit: Did the staff forget about Zuka and Misa? Or do they just not know how to deal with them story-wise and are thus ignoring them because they have to?

sincx fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 1, 2015

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's more like they've already been dealt with. Ema too. Misa choosing between stability and her passion, Shizuka's auditions and Ema's insecurity. Even Diesel pretty much has her foot in the door as a writer; she's only getting as much screen time as she is because her position is close to Aoi's. Shizuka finally getting a role is kind of the only dangling thread.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I know that it's extremely irrational and almost spergy to get annoyed by that very innocent wording, but my first thought wouldn't be that the staff forget about 2 of their 5 central characters. They've shown good writing and the ability to use their character resources well, such as pulling the old guy out at the end of part 1. Them not showing up is probably mostly related to their circumstances not having relevance to the drama going on now. We should see them again and get some more out of them after this delay shitstorm starts to blow over or when they get involved.

That said, the fact that Shizuka hasn't been showing up recently is very concerning. The overall tone of this show is positive so it's not like I'm losing hope, but the show is running out of time to resolve her employment issue. I guess delaying it as long as possible does provide good tension, though. Good for the intensity of the writing, not so good for my heart.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zuka-chan-senpai is not going to get work, she's going to end the season serving beers to her successful friends and crying at home, alone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Twiddy posted:

I know that it's extremely irrational and almost spergy to get annoyed by that very innocent wording, but my first thought wouldn't be that the staff forget about 2 of their 5 central characters. They've shown good writing and the ability to use their character resources well, such as pulling the old guy out at the end of part 1. Them not showing up is probably mostly related to their circumstances not having relevance to the drama going on now. We should see them again and get some more out of them after this delay shitstorm starts to blow over or when they get involved.

That said, the fact that Shizuka hasn't been showing up recently is very concerning. The overall tone of this show is positive so it's not like I'm losing hope, but the show is running out of time to resolve her employment issue. I guess delaying it as long as possible does provide good tension, though. Good for the intensity of the writing, not so good for my heart.

Well I assumed one of the main actors for Panzer und Planes would've dropped out and she would take their place, but that isn't happening it seems soooooo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Well I assumed one of the main actors for Panzer und Planes would've dropped out and she would take their place, but that isn't happening it seems soooooo

It still has time to happen, doesn't it? Wouldn't be the first time they had to drop everything and redo stuff in a hurry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

I would honestly be rather annoyed if that happened. Shirobako does have a very idealistic view of the industry, but it is still one where people struggle and make sacrifices for their art, not where you triumph by passive good luck due to someone else's misfortune.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

It still has time to happen, doesn't it? Wouldn't be the first time they had to drop everything and redo stuff in a hurry.

The first episode hasn't aired yet? If not I guess there is time.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Voice acting is recorded long before the show airs using a bare bones storyboard. Sometimes a VA will ad-lib something and the animators will add it in to the final product.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zettace posted:

Voice acting is recorded long before the show airs using a bare bones storyboard. Sometimes a VA will ad-lib something and the animators will add it in to the final product.

That's in the US system. In Japan, they prefer to actually have a good amount of the animation done before they give it to the actors.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Neeksy posted:

That's in the US system. In Japan, they prefer to actually have a good amount of the animation done before they give it to the actors.

Yeah we got to see that early on in the series even, where they had to even adjust a scene because of how they wanted it to be conveyed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Every so often we see the lead animator guy read lines to himself, presumably to help himself time the lipflaps.

Anyway, I think the show would at least point it out if they started airing. Probably have an episode where they nervously gather around a TV or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

Every so often we see the lead animator guy read lines to himself, presumably to help himself time the lipflaps.

Anyway, I think the show would at least point it out if they started airing. Probably have an episode where they nervously gather around a TV or something.

Just like what they did at the beginning with Exodus, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Hey, take a look at these ponkan⑧'s original Shirobako designs (especially at that Ema on the right, holy poo poo) from the BD booklet (courtesy of kViN; also, go hate on him for being mean to Zuka-chan).

• Locked thread