Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think this is the match Jericho was talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Arbite posted:

Was WCW that bad at the end?

I remember Johnny Ace and co. being able to sculpt the ashes of that company fairly well for a few months.

The cruiserweight tag stuff at the end was fun.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WCW tidbit of the day: When they signed Bossman in 1993 from Vince, their buyrates were in the toilet. They expected to be able to use him on top but that never materialized for various reasons despite how good he was. His lawyer had gotten WCW to put a clause in their contract saying if their buyrate for a PPV was over a certain amount, he got a $25,000 check that month whether he was on the show or not.

They left that in his contract forever and never changed the numbers around, so when the NWO showed up and WCW went on their hot streak, he got a $25,000 check every month on top of his base pay until he jumped even though they weren't using him at all.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 27, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

Was WCW that bad at the end?

I remember Johnny Ace and co. being able to sculpt the ashes of that company fairly well for a few months.

At the end there were guys like Rick Steiner taking liberties with Konnan in the ring and a roster that wasn't so good. There were some bright spots like Thunder in 2001 but overall the product wasn't good. The post Russo PPVs are just terrible until Greed which ends up being great.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Luigi Thirty posted:

WCW tidbit of the day: When they signed Bossman in 1993 from Vince, their buyrates were in the toilet. They expected to be able to use him on top but that never materialized for various reasons despite how good he was. His lawyer had gotten WCW to put a clause in their contract saying if their buyrate for a PPV was over a certain amount, he got a $25,000 check that month whether he was on the show or not.

They left that in his contract forever and never changed the numbers around, so when the NWO showed up and WCW went on their hot streak, he got a $25,000 check every month on top of his base pay until he jumped even though they weren't using him at all.

" despite how good he was."??????

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ray Traylor was a solid hand but not spectacular.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

He was one of those guys where if you put him in right position at the right time I think he could have drawn money, at least in the short term. It never ended up panning out that way, but I could see a company taking a chance on him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

Mid 90s WCW. Remember Starrcade was loving Hogan/Leslie in 1994.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 27, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bossman could haul rear end around the ring circa 1991 or so.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

The Big Taff Man posted:

The first run of Big Bossman he was massively over, and had some great things he could do in the ring.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Big Bossman Feud Line:

(H) v. Hogan / Savage ---->
(H) w/ Akeem (as Twin Towers) v. Hogan & Savage (as Mega Powers)* ---->
(H) w/Akeem (as Twin Towers) v. Demolition && (H) v. Hogan --TURN**-->
(F) v. Akeem------>
(F) v. Heenan Family --->
(F) v. Nailz*** --LEAVES FOR WCW--->
(H or F or T or X) v. some people maybe

*Ended when Savage turned heel
**Bossman turned face refusing to take payoff from Ted Dibiase + own manager Slick to steal million dollar belt from Jake Roberts
***Ended when Bossman beat Nailz at survivor series and guy playing Nailz turned out to be a dick and got fired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Where did this come from?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Where did this come from?

Kevin Sullivan's podcast, but the numbers he gave for the buyrates were obviously off so he could be misremembering.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Kevin Sullivan's podcast, but the numbers he gave for the buyrates were obviously off so he could be misremembering.

I really don't want to pay for another podcast but he makes it really hard.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I really don't want to pay for another podcast but he makes it really hard.

I'll make it easy. They're going one Nitro at a time every Friday. They're in Feb 96. Sullivan remembers everything. They do mailbag episodes. There is no Disco Inferno.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'll make it easy. They're going one Nitro at a time every Friday. They're in Feb 96. Sullivan remembers everything. They do mailbag episodes. There is no Disco Inferno.

How many weeks until Uncensored 96 are they out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

How many weeks until Uncensored 96 are they out

It was a two-parter. They spent 20 minutes talking about the main event.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm already happy with my decision to watch Starcade 99 because I just heard the phrase "Tony Marinara and the entire Marinara family aren't happy."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hello hello this is an alert!!!! The post Starrcade 1997 Wrestling Observer Newsletter is now up on F4W, so if you wanted to know Dave's immediate take on the phantom fast count, check it out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Big Bossman Feud Line:

(H) v. Hogan / Savage ---->
(H) w/ Akeem (as Twin Towers) v. Hogan & Savage (as Mega Powers)* ---->
(H) w/Akeem (as Twin Towers) v. Demolition && (H) v. Hogan --TURN**-->
(F) v. Akeem------>
(F) v. Heenan Family --->
(F) v. Nailz*** --LEAVES FOR WCW--->
(H or F or T or X) v. some people maybe

*Ended when Savage turned heel
**Bossman turned face refusing to take payoff from Ted Dibiase + own manager Slick to steal million dollar belt from Jake Roberts
***Ended when Bossman beat Nailz at survivor series and guy playing Nailz turned out to be a dick and got fired.

Isn't The Mountie in there somewhere?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

weekly font posted:

Isn't The Mountie in there somewhere?

Oh you're right, they did have a jailhouse match. I'm not sure when that happened, according to google that match was in 91, so maybe right after Akeem?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hello hello this is an alert!!!! The post Starrcade 1997 Wrestling Observer Newsletter is now up on F4W, so if you wanted to know Dave's immediate take on the phantom fast count, check it out.

Sometimes I forget how impressive it is that WCW was able to hold off on Sting/Hogan for so long. What a great build.

Edit: Judy Bagwell: WCW Tag Team Champion with a heart of gold

quote:

The benefit show for the Brian Pillman family put on by Diamond Dallas Page and Marcus Bagwell's mother in Marietta, GA netted the Pillman family $1,500.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 3, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you want to see WCW as it starts going insane tonight's episode is a good pick. In 10 minutes we'll see some classic Jericho and the formation of the Wolfpac: http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh you're right, they did have a jailhouse match. I'm not sure when that happened, according to google that match was in 91, so maybe right after Akeem?

Right after the Heenan family. He fought Mr. Perfect for the IC Title at WM7, then had the Jailhouse Match with the Mountie at Summerslam '91.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I also remember Bossman feuding with IRS. Because it lead to Bossman getting all Wrestling-angry because IRS insinuated that he cheated on his taxes, and that was the thing that pushed him over teh edge and made him want to fight. It was funny to little kid me, and is hilarious to grown up me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also remember Bossman feuding with IRS. Because it lead to Bossman getting all Wrestling-angry because IRS insinuated that he cheated on his taxes, and that was the thing that pushed him over teh edge and made him want to fight. It was funny to little kid me, and is hilarious to grown up me.

That was how IRS feuded with everyone.

Though his promos about "EVERYONE has to pay taxes - you can't die just to get out of paying them" at a graveyard was hilarious.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Red posted:

Though his promos about "EVERYONE has to pay taxes - you can't die just to get out of paying them" at a graveyard was hilarious.

Never forget him repossessing the Undertakers parents grave stones.

IRS was the best cartoon heel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That reminds me of something weird; does anyone else remember that when Kane was introduced, one of the proofs that he was really the Undertaker's brother was a little statue they shared as kids, split in half vertically, and Paul Bearer had the other half? That was silly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Never forget him repossessing the Undertakers parents grave stones.

IRS was the best cartoon heel.

He should've been in a tag team with Repo Man once DiBiase had to retire.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Red posted:

Though, when he tried it in the UK it didn't work because our taxing system is different. See, he could've had a RED HOT feud with Davey Boy Smith.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well in the UK he should have said "Undertaker, you have to pay your Taxes Death Duty"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
MRT, where are you getting your Nitros?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me of something weird; does anyone else remember that when Kane was introduced, one of the proofs that he was really the Undertaker's brother was a little statue they shared as kids, split in half vertically, and Paul Bearer had the other half? That was silly.

And then it was never mentioned again, yes. Very weird.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Though, when he tried it in the UK it didn't work because our taxing system is different. See, he could've had a RED HOT feud with Davey Boy Smith.

"In AMERICA, we pay taxes that build roads, schools, and prisons. Taxes go right back into AMERICA. In England, your taxes go straight into the pocket of a lazy monarch, who just buys another castle to sleep in.

The British Bulldog makes all of his money in AMERICA, and takes all his money home to this dirty island. It's about time you started paying your fair share - to AMERICA!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NickRoweFillea posted:

Naitch is Vice President in charge of Nitro acquisitions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Conspiracy with J.J. Dillon

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Xerzes posted:

And then it was never mentioned again, yes. Very weird.

I seem to remember when they brought Kane in initially they talked about his costume covering the majority of his body because of all the burns From the house fire aswell. That was dropped too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Remember when Kane couldn't talk and then the first time he talked was when X-Pac held a mic out to him and he said "suuuuck iiiiiit"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember when Kane couldn't talk and then the first time he talked was when X-Pac held a mic out to him and he said "suuuuck iiiiiit"
It wasn't the first time he talked, just the first time he talked without the aid of his electrolarynx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Before that was something like "IF I DO NOT WIN I WILL SET MYSELF ON FIRE"