Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Ha ha ha just wait. You'll see where they're going with this.

Update with some of the EGG Facility repeat on the last page by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

loving Meganada, man. Holy poo poo that guy's an rear end in a top hat.

Dragonatrix posted:

Suddenly, I am glad that Cielo is not God.

Cielo is God. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I've just realized, but this is basically the first jRPG I can think of where I actually really like all the main characters.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The final member will be Heat wearing a paper plate with Serph's face scrawled on it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The plot gets REALLY loving crazy from here on out, trust me folks, we're in for a lot of poo poo hitting the fan.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Green Intern posted:

The final member will be Heat wearing a paper plate with Serph's face scrawled on it.

And he shows up in battle and such as "Serph", and everyone just acts like he's totally the real deal.

And Agni has a Varna face on a paper plate on each head.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
And here we are at last. Behind this Door... is the Plot. The key of all DDS plot lies in wait just ahead. Pretty pumped.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Then Roland shows up with a paper cup on a pencil with a face scribbled on it named 'Colonel Beck' and everyone just frowns hard at him.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The really confusing part is when Serph then shows up in a Heat mask and Angel dyes her hair, puts it in dreadlocks, and starts talking in a Jamaican accent.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I wouldn't be too certain that Roland's and Argilla's deaths will stick, since we've heard from a couple sources that our entire team has already died in this world (or some world, perhaps one "higher up", I have a suspicion that we haven't seen all the turtles yet) before coming to junkyard, and from there returned here.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, this update shows the only problem I have with this game's storyline.

Namely the fact that nobody is getting mad at and wanting to kill God for destroying the world.

Look, let's all be brutally honest here: if they were talking about YHVH here, the game would have characters calling for deicide for causing such desolation, even if the same reasoning were used. Yet here it's portrayed as justifiable and nobody is shown to have any issue with it, presumably because it's not the Judeo-Christian God. That is, in a word, bullshit.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tallgeese :frogout:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I do naught but speak the truth.

vilkacis posted:

Cielo is God. :colbert:

Speaking of, this is technically true... in Hinduism anyway. Sort of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it has nothing to do with it not being Yahweh and everything to do with this being a different story than other SMT games.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

An interesting thought, but it's quite difficult to elaborate on why I'm undeniably correct without spoilers right now.

Actually, is this Hard Mode, Dragonatrix? I forget if everything is unlocked on the first go on a transfer playthrough.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 28, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I hope you make the right choice after going through the door, Dragonatrix.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The music for the EGG revisit is probably my second favorite creepy atmospheric track in the series, after the original Deva Yuga theme from Persona 1.

Bird demons are much more likely to be weak to gun in these games, aren't they? It carries over to P3 too, where they're often weak to pierce.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, is this Hard Mode, Dragonatrix? I forget if everything is unlocked on the first go on a transfer playthrough.

It is, yeah, and the only requirement for what you're thinking of is being on Hard. Whether you unlock it via NG+ or save transfer doesn't matter.

The only stuff not unlocked on a first playthrough even with transfer stuff is the Human Form passive (which matters in exactly zero ways) and one ring that's nice but nothing amazing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

a cartoon duck posted:

I hope you make the right choice after going through the door, Dragonatrix.

Of COURSE he made the right choice. This isn't even up for discussion.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

An interesting thought, but it's quite difficult to elaborate on why I'm undeniably correct without spoilers right now.

man, the smug is just wafting off you in almost visible waves there Tallgeese.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

cdyoung posted:

man, the smug is just wafting off you in almost visible waves there Tallgeese.

Without going into the same spoilers he's avoiding if his point is what I'm assuming it a decent argument.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like the idea that the main characters can actually die in this game, but as someone who was using Argilla and Roland up til then. Suddenly losing 2/3 of my team was really not great.
I ended up grinding for 2 hours while listening to podcasts and then absolutely wrecking the next boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

An interesting thought, but it's quite difficult to elaborate on why I'm undeniably correct without spoilers right now

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I like the idea that the main characters can actually die in this game, but as someone who was using Argilla and Roland up til then. Suddenly losing 2/3 of my team was really not great.
I ended up grinding for 2 hours while listening to podcasts and then absolutely wrecking the next boss.

Yeah this right here is a big part of why they buffed the gently caress out of Cielo and pretty much made him very nearly the best character in game terms (I mean he was already the best character but now that's actually showing in the game thanks to his more generous weakness in this).

IMO this next room is the hardest mandatory part of the game, I'm pretty sure the boss coming up is the only mandatory boss in this that ever gave me any meaningful trouble.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Feinne posted:

Yeah this right here is a big part of why they buffed the gently caress out of Cielo and pretty much made him very nearly the best character in game terms (I mean he was already the best character but now that's actually showing in the game thanks to his more generous weakness in this).

IMO this next room is the hardest mandatory part of the game, I'm pretty sure the boss coming up is the only mandatory boss in this that ever gave me any meaningful trouble.

The final boss CAN be difficult but not if you know in advance what their signature move is. Even knowing how to deal with the next boss' gimmicks isn't enough to just steamroll it on the other hand, so I'd definitely agree with that.

Anyway, I'd say there's a good reason why the party isn't angry at God that doesn't take spoilers to talk about; they're outsiders. They've seen how 'real' humans act, how and why they were created, how it affected them and everyone else in the Junkyard. From that outside perspective, and Cielo literally just said as much, destroying the gently caress out of these assholes and everything about them is a natural reaction. Our heroes have more sympathy for God than they do for the Karma Society, so to them asking God "hey there's these okay people over here, maybe not kill everything forever 'kay?" seems more reasonable than it might to us, who have considerably more in common with the Karma Society than the Embryon.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Return to the EGG
Okay, so this update will have a lot of videos. If possible, watch them.

So, there's something in here now. Whatever it is, it is clearly moving and pretty drat big too.

Um, er, hi Heat?

Yeah, so the camera pulls back now and we can see Heat's full size.

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Also, his head now is actually that tiny thing poking out of the middle large head.

Heat...

Devour me, if that's what you really want.

You don't understand--

Be careful. We wanna talk with you, bro...

Let's go.

Boss: Asura Yaksa Vritra

Hunting ~ Betrayal

Vritra is, uh, an actual Asura in Hindu mythology and the personification of drought (so Heat makes sense here). Also he was another of Indra's enemies, so the game really has it out for that guy. On the other hand, unlike Indrajit, Vritra got his rear end kicked by Indra. Keep this in mind. Also sometimes, depending on who you ask, Varuna and Agni sided with Vritra... until Indra persuaded them to help him out instead.

Here, Vritra is a fun as hell fight but changing his race to Yaksa was a giant misstep.

So, what can he do here? All four normal -ndas but not Dekunda or Dekaja. He also gets 2 press turns on his own and his tentacles with the Agni heads get a 1 each.

The only damage+ailment skill he has is Silent Howl. It's not really a big issue all told.

Of course, he has Agidyne. No other Fire spells though, and no Mind Charge nor any other buffs.

Whenever you actually try and attack, whether it be with single or multi-target things, the tentacles jump in the way to tank it first. This just means Vritra can't be hit until they're both dead.

Speaking of the tentacles, they just do physical attacks. A normal one and this one.

It deals less damage than a regular attack, but hits everyone. Meh.

Of course, Vritra does have a multi-target Phys skill of his own. He uses Power Wave sometimes but not very often.

Vritra does have one big trick he can deploy. Doesn't spam it overly much but that may be for the best.

Gelid is an actual word that basically means "very loving cold."

So of course it hits everyone for mid-level Ice damage. As you would expect it also has a very high chance to Freeze someone, if not multiple people.

The thing that makes this a Big Deal though is that it cannot miss. Ever. It will always hit, so all you can do is mitigate it.

Ice Repel/Drain is the best way to deal with that of course.

Doesn't really matter which, but Repel is easier to get so I'd use that. Vritra repels Ice himself so it won't hurt him or anything. Drain is a bit more ideal what with the whole "getting healed by it" thing but it really doesn't matter.

The tentacles are the first thing in any boss fight thus far that have no weaknesses. They do only have 500HP a piece though.

...This does not carry on over to Vritra himself. In a move that is hella clever, he's weak to Elec spells.

You'd better survive!

Without his tentacles, Vritra does pick up a couple new moves. He also loses Gelid Torrent at this point.

Despite its name, Inferno Roar is not actually Fire elemental.

Instead, it's just a hard-hitting Almighty attack. Much like Gelid Torrent, it cannot miss.

He usually, but not always, follows it up with Sonic Wave. This is just the usual MT panic spell.

I killed your leader! Aren't you angry? Where's your hatred!? Bring it on!!

But now that he's alone, I think Sera can bust out her new spell as well.

...Whenever she's not throwing away over $54,000 at least.

But, it's not over yet.

The easiest thing to do, then, is just cast Void Panic before Vritra gets a turn. Just as a precaution more than anything else.

So, that's Vritra. He can regrow his tentacles after a while, but how long it takes depends on when they get killed. If its simultaneous, then it takes a fairly long time.

All in all, not overly difficult but a pretty fun fight. As you'd expect, no AP this time but enough money to restore what Sera threw away and still be in the black.

But I reset anyway when that happened so whatever.

End

Although this is all one long segment, I've split it into several videos just for the sake of being more watchable.

Five Years Before

Silence

So, while the other 3 are fighting Vritra...

Inside the EGG, Serph's just floating there with... the cat...?

You should be able to wake up.

Hey, so Serph is alive.

Also, yes, the cat talks and is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.

Schroedinger

and now the cat is a glowing giant okay sure

Beyond this knowledge lies enlightenment--

You may not be able to understand it yet...

Memory

You did great, Sera!

Oh, I wouldn't worry about Heat.

He's just a bit of a hot-head is all.

Silence

So, the beachball is nice and labelled. Albeit backwards.

Argilla and Serph's hair are their Embryon colours now, huh? Hmm.

Number 19 created it outside of our knowledge.

...It's sickening.

Is this true?

She should last a bit longer. Inject the stimulant.

Doofy random scientist stumbles at this and just happens to palm this red button.

And now Sera can see what's happening. Hear it too.

I think we're both better than that.
You're really something, you know that?

And because Serph is a giant jerklord shitmaster, Heat gets shot.

By Argilla???? And she can't really believe that she did that either.

Sera starts crying, because she is a child and all, Serph hears this and then notices the flashing red button.

I think the Colonel picked a bad time to come back...

The EGG lights up and starts to go more than a little haywire...

Contaminated by the rush of data,

As Serph is having a little breakdown at all this new knowledge, someone steps up to join Schroedinger...

Her paradise became hell;

Of course, since this Heat is already dead he can just walk right through Serph.

However...

What did you do to me!?

The dude on the left is clearly jerkface scientist Serph; the right one is the first data version from the beach scene.

Where is Sera?
You and I are dead.

You're lying! I cant be dead!

Both Serphs can tune, huh? Makes sense.

Now,

Heat being able to tune into Agni also makes sense. Shame that its the same model as our Heat had though.

At least it means Serph doesn't have to solo 2 Serphs.

Boss: Yaksa Real Varna; Yaksa Fake Varna

Epic Battle

Despite being billed as a boss fight, the 2 Varnas aren't realy that big of an issue. Serph is exactly as he was when we last saw him; same skills, same stats, same level, same everything.

Not really much you can do with this to exploit that fact, though. Neither Real nor Fake have weaknesses, which makes them the first bosses to do so.

It hardly matter though; True Heat is strong enough to compensate for Serph's deficiencies and then some. He could solo this fight if you really needed it.

The Varnas are also really talky at spots, which is the big reason why this fight could take a while.

Attack wise, they both only have one beyond a normal physical.

Black Impulse is an unusual skill in that it hits a single target for Death elemental damage.

But it cannot inflict instant death, curse or stone. It's just a raw Death elemental attack.

Where... are you... Sera!?
Get out of my way, you imposter! I'm not dead! I can't be dead!

Appropriately enough then, Fake Varna has White Impulse.

As you no doubt deduced, this is single target Expel damage.

Very easy fight, albeit for good reason. It can't really be too difficult otherwise it'd be incredibly annoying very fast.

Gives a gigantic ton of Karma for what it was, too. Meant to push Serph back up on par with the others. It's not quite enough though.

Although, 33 stat points to throw around is always great. Note that none of them went into Magic though. Unless he gets a random point or two from level up bonuses, it won't be going up at all now.

End

So if this is all happening sorta before, and during, the Vritra fight... what about after it?

The End of Vritra

Silence

So... Vritra gets sliced open from the inside?!

At least he geyser's appropriately.

So, it turns out that Vritra's a combination of Heat/Agni and the EGG, huh? I guess that explains that then.

Needless to say, Vritra doesn't take being sliced apart from within very well!

It is you!

I do...

Let Him Go

Let him go.

End

Silence

So now we have to run off a bit as Serph alone. No fights at this point, so it's easy enough to get to... wait hang on. There was a warp here; it's gone now.

That lets us take a new elevator to B27 and enter the main control room.

Later, Buddy

Heat, I--

Choice here doesn't matter and I forgot that, thought it did for a while and panicked that I picked the wrong one. Nope! :v:

I did it...

I don't... regret--

No Regret

Silence

I'm sorry, Fred.
So, then...

If it's still functional...

How will you return?

It's my responsibility...

Why?

You can't be reasonin' with God, bro.

Oh yah, baby. Dig it?
I'm sure you would only anger him.
Really?

Agreed.

End

With Serph back, we can now head on over to the Airport and prepare to go speak with God himself...

But first, don't you think it's strange? We've gotten through an awful lot of DDS2 and haven't really touched any sidequests. I'm thinking we should go and change that. What convenient timing that there are now four optional bosses that are only available at this point.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...I. what. What even, what. :psyboom:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, that was a whole lot of :stare: for one update...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay, Serph is back! Also mind screw! Someone please explain to me what the hell Heat (fake, not real) was on about, because to this point I don't understand why the hell he did what he did. True Heat was pretty cool though, standing up against True Serph's bullshit.

Also I think we should follow Cielo's plan. His rhythm will definitely convince God that the world has at least one reason to keep existing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That extended level up sound for Serph was hilarious.

Also Original Serph was a total jackhole and deserved what he got.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yay, Serph is back! Also mind screw! Someone please explain to me what the hell Heat (fake, not real) was on about, because to this point I don't understand why the hell he did what he did. True Heat was pretty cool though, standing up against True Serph's bullshit.

Also I think we should follow Cielo's plan. His rhythm will definitely convince God that the world has at least one reason to keep existing.

The Junkyard AIs were based off of the beach AIs from Sera's world, which in turn were based off of Sera's misconceptions of the people around her. True Heat was a good person prone to righteous anger, particularly at True Serph's manipulative behavior; she saw him fighting with Serph for her sake and thought he was angry (especially at Serph) and possessive of her, so AI Heat became that kind of person.

AI Heat found out the truth after being separated from the others in the real world, but he still couldn't break free of those patterns of thought, so it made him even more openly confrontational towards Serph (because he's justified now, in his eyes). He couldn't transcend his base nature and failed to find enlightenment in the truth, in other words.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If anyone is confused, go all the way back to the area we fought King Frost back in DDS1. Remember that little tale about the good prince and the evil prince, but the recording was damaged at the dramatic reveal section? Now you know who was who.

I like this reveal. We find out that the protagonist is an idealized image of a person who, in reality, was a colossal shitlord who manipulated everyone around him into achieving his goals. And then, one moment of clarity caused it all to horrendously backfire and result in many deaths/the end of the world. And yet, there are still a few mysteries left unanswered.

Also, I support this option:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So OG Serph is a shitheel, and OG Heat wanted to put a stop to that bullshit but OG Argilla killed him (presumably under Serph's orders?). Meanwhile, Serph has been chilling in the god-egg for a while and with OG Heat, defeats his "true" self and is reincarnated back to the party. Also at some point this dislodges Heat from...whatever the gently caress he was doing in that thing, and then he runs away but the injury he got from the fight (or maybe getting split off from that thing?) kills him before Serph can catch up. And now we're going to go talk to God.

:psyduck:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

So, making sure I'm getting this straight: there was an experiment to communicate with god, run by Beck, Margot, Angel, Serph, Argilla, and Heat, which used a succession of Sera-likes. It was making progress, until the incident in the flashback we just saw. It is Sera's anguish that causes God to go bonkers and start petrifying everything, correct? What is the source of the demon virus; Angel's experiments or the God-data?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So where did Gale and Cielo come from?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Okay, so to clarify a few things for people:

Serph (original name Serph Sheffield) was originally a scientist with zero concern for the welfare of his experiments working for the Karma Society to contact 'God'.
Heat (O'Brien) realised that the tests they were performing were, in a word, inhuman, and made no secret of this to Serph.
Argilla (real name unknown) was manipulated by Serph to spy on Heat. Her murder of him was accidental, but it's believed by fans that he pretty much brainwashed her into becoming his devotee.

The Embryon were based on her perceptions of the folks she knew during testing. Serph was always kind to her, so 'our' Serph was a decent person. Heat always acted like a scary rear end in a top hat, so our Heat became a psychopath by accident. Argilla was nice and had a gun, which is arguably why she became the team sniper.

You'll notice, however, there's something of a lack of Gale, or anyone who looks like him in that cutscene. Wonder what that's all about.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
IIRC, you're wrong about Cielo never coming up, so you should remove that in case the OP remembers to talk to the right person about it.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Artix posted:

So OG Serph is a shitheel, and OG Heat wanted to put a stop to that bullshit but OG Argilla killed him (presumably under Serph's orders?). Meanwhile, Serph has been chilling in the god-egg for a while and with OG Heat, defeats his "true" self and is reincarnated back to the party. Also at some point this dislodges Heat from...whatever the gently caress he was doing in that thing, and then he runs away but the injury he got from the fight (or maybe getting split off from that thing?) kills him before Serph can catch up. And now we're going to go talk to God.

:psyduck:

Who is the sun.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad to see you made the correct choice there.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The Embryon were based on her perceptions of the folks she knew during testing. Serph was always kind to her, so 'our' Serph was a decent person. Heat always acted like a scary rear end in a top hat, so our Heat became a psychopath by accident. Argilla was nice and had a gun, which is arguably why she became the team sniper.

I was always under the impression that the Embryon were unique in that instead of just being a real person's data getting stuck in the junkyard like everybody else in there, they were combinations between real people and Sera's AI versions of them.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If all of you are confused/flabbergasted right now, you're not going to like the deal with the cat.

• Locked thread