Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm gonna go back to "you have a reading comprehension problem" then :shrug:

Yes, telling the thread that the lawyer has a reading comprehension problem sounds very persuasive. Good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Well, yeah, I'm a bad vote. Votes against me are bad.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh man, you're a lawyer?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does it bother you that, when asked to rephrase your slam dunk case that he joined in on, Diq got it wrong?

What if I told you I'm voting for you because I believe in merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh man, you're a lawyer?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Okay so I finally sort of see the case.

PMom assumed merk knew something from PMom's role PM (because wahey town PMs are all the same) and voted or cased merk based off that. Merk thinks this is invented reasoning.

Well then this is easily solved. PMom, what flavor? Did you know that there are multiple kinds of operative flavors?

To be fair when I read your post the first time PMom it read as if you saying 'given the thread knows ___, merk's post is posturing' and that's a natural argument. But it's completely different if you say 'given townies know ___ from the role pm, merk is posturing pretty hard' because you're both directly contradicting each other at this point.

So clarify it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Okay so I finally sort of see the case.

PMom assumed merk knew something from PMom's role PM (because wahey town PMs are all the same) and voted or cased merk based off that. Merk thinks this is invented reasoning.

Well then this is easily solved. PMom, what flavor? Did you know that there are multiple kinds of operative flavors?

To be fair when I read your post the first time PMom it read as if you saying 'given the thread knows ___, merk's post is posturing' and that's a natural argument. But it's completely different if you say 'given townies know ___ from the role pm, merk is posturing pretty hard' because you're both directly contradicting each other at this point.

So clarify it.

I did clarify it. Here.

Look at the post merk leaves off the big string of post. It's the post where I announce to the thread that there's flavour in my role PM that's consistent with more than one scum team.

It's what I'm referencing in the first post of mine that merk quotes in his case! We know it because I've already posted about it.

It's ambiguous stuff from the italics, not straight up "there are more than one scum team", and I don't know about specific roles.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
This case is confusing me so I'm trying to help clarify things:

12:52PM EST

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh, and yeah: my role PM says that it's unclear if there's more than one bad guy team.

2:58PM EST

merk posted:

Be careful though, that isn't really the case. PMom wanted to take a random question by me

merk posted:

:siren: If you are a town vig who killed LM or Mills, I do not see why you wouldn't claim. If you withhold claiming, I am going to assume you are scum or third party. :siren:

and call it posturing.

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is weird posturing, given we have flavour that indicates there's more than one bad guy out there.

When I called her on it,

merk posted:

How is that posturing?

she then resorted to invoking flavor that we had in her role PM.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Flavour in my role PM.

Merk posted:

That is, she invented the comment against me, and then invented justification for the comment when I asked about it.

That's the case. Her justification for her posturing comment makes no sense.

To me reading this exchange, it looks like PMom had the impression from his role PM that there might be two scum factions (and said as such two hours before the interaction with Merk), and then accused Merk of posturing based on the earlier statement regarding two scum factions. Merk's reaction doesn't feel real at all to me. ##vote Merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
MMT, please explain to me how my question about the nightkills is posturing based on flavor from PMom's role PM.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What information were you trying to get from a townie claiming a kill?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Good morning thread. 16 hours of sleep makes me feel way more chipper than I did yesterday.

They way PMom is engaging with merk is exactly the same way she was engaging with me yesterday. Dismissive, that she said this:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are you asking me to quote the mod PM or...?

Just like yesterday when she said

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, I would not like to scumclaim. Any other questions?

These reactions are not town reactions.

Like what merk was saying

merk posted:

...and to add to the case, you're just trying to discredit votes against you rather than actually help us find scum in any way.

##vote PMom

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Closing the window of opportunity of someone claiming tomorrow that they did the kill tomorrow or when it would be convenient for a scum to make the claim.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Grandicap posted:

Closing the window of opportunity of someone claiming tomorrow that they did the kill tomorrow or when it would be convenient for a scum to make the claim.

It answers the question on whether there is a second scum-controlled kill in the game, whether that be SK, two scum teams, or Ernie's theory.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

It answers the question on whether there is a second scum-controlled kill in the game, whether that be SK, two scum teams, or Ernie's theory.

... or it's posturing based on flavor in PMom's role PM.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm pretty sure I just read 3 pages of absolute bullshit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

MMT, please explain to me how my question about the nightkills is posturing based on flavor from PMom's role PM.

Similar to "distancing", I'm not entirely sure I understand what "posturing" is in the context of Mafia. Without looking it up, and without knowing the specifics of what PMom is referencing in his role PM, my guess is that he felt it was a given that the kill was the result of either two scum teams or a scum/3P. That said, whether or not you were actually posturing has little to do with it.

I mean, it was a throwaway one-line post in the middle of a flow of conversation. To me it reads that PMom, a townie, was casual in choosing his words, and you, a scum, forced a case out of it.

:siren: The crux of my argument is that you accused him of pulling the "flavor from my role PM" out of thin air when he clearly referenced it two hours earlier. And then when you cased him, you left this fact (the thing that I feel invalidates the case) out of the quotes you used. I think you're quite good at reading comprehension so I don't feel like you missed it, I think you're trying to deceive.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Similar to "distancing", I'm not entirely sure I understand what "posturing" is in the context of Mafia. Without looking it up, and without knowing the specifics of what PMom is referencing in his role PM, my guess is that he felt it was a given that the kill was the result of either two scum teams or a scum/3P, and so he was saying that it was weird to assume a Town Vig. That said, whether or not you were actually posturing has little to do with it.

Mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

If I'm wrong, I will vote myself tomorrow.

Assume you're town. Since you're talking about a situation where you're wrong, assume PMom is town.

- we lunch PMom D1 - 9 players left
- we possibly lose two more town tonight - 7 players left
- you'll vote yourself and do what? We'd lose the game.

That post was not written from a town perspective.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Assume you're town. Since you're talking about a situation where you're wrong, assume PMom is town.

- we lunch PMom D1 - 9 players left
- we possibly lose two more town tonight - 7 players left
- you'll vote yourself and do what? We'd lose the game.

That post was not written from a town perspective.

Meh, I think I screwed up Mafia Math in saying we'd lose :250:, but it would still be awful for town.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Grandicap posted:

Good morning thread. 16 hours of sleep makes me feel way more chipper than I did yesterday.

They way PMom is engaging with merk is exactly the same way she was engaging with me yesterday. Dismissive, that she said this:

Just like yesterday when she said

These reactions are not town reactions.

Like what merk was saying

##vote PMom

Can I get thoughts on one or two other players besides PMom?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Okay I just did a massive re-read. The people who are really sticking out to me as acting strange/scummy are somber and pmom. Also, merk kind of went psycho about pmom's "scumslip" but I'm not sure how to read that.

So somber basically came into the thread at the very beginning of day 1, during jokephase, and randomly pointed a finger at me. It was strange. I think he would have just picked anything "out of the ordinary" just to try to look like he was scum hunting. The case against me is extremely weak and I think was predicated just on the fact that I made an awkward comment (in his view). He continued to ask people to dunk me on day 2 for some reason. idk.

I know I'm not the only one to think that pmom is acting scummy.
1. He was the first one to offer to take the gun. I think this act was less about wanting to shoot grandi than it was to make sure he wouldn't get shot.
2. Posts this list of possible scum

Pinterest Mom posted:

We have plenty of good dunk candidates! A lot of people have made bad/sketchy posts.

Somber's weird obsession with AN
Grandi~
Poque's selective engagement with the thread only when he doesn't have to make alignment calls
Merk voting to arm me based on phony reasoning
Little Mac, on a lurker case.

and then votes for Hal after merk makes a case on him. This is especially interesting because of how combative pmom has been throughout the game. To vote with no reasoning based on a single post seems out of character to me. He then continues to bandwagon onto LM and then font.

I'm honestly really surprised that font got lynched. I brought up something that seemed suspicious to me but I couldn't believe how fast everyone flipped.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Can I get thoughts on one or two other players besides PMom?

I think you are scum vOv.

Especially that last math post. Merk is saying he will vote himself as an emphasis on how seriously he believes PMom slipped. It's the equivalent of I'll bet my life on it. THat you hopped on that is looking like you are trying to discredit merk, in the hopes that by discrediting him you will make his PMom case less valid.

Your LM weak defense yesterday seems scum too.

You would be my number two at the moment.

I feel less negatively on Ernie now than I did yesterday. Something feels more fluid about him today.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Also the reason that I voted font is because I think flips give us valuable information and lynching someone I was suspicious of seemed better than lynching no one.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also, Narcotics. Everything about their posting seems self conscious. The attempt to get on an already rolling vote train by adding something minor. Very conscious of not wanting to me too... PMom's scumbuddy maybe.

Then this most recent post, on the font defense vote, just very much of the mindset that everything is under a microscope and has to be explained. I think this is newbie scum, rather than just newbie.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Would anyone like to give me a gun?

I'll use it to shoot Grandi.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Grandicap posted:

You would be my number two at the moment.

I feel less negatively on Ernie now than I did yesterday. Something feels more fluid about him today.

Are your reads on us at all related?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Are your reads on us at all related?

Not really.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Similar to "distancing", I'm not entirely sure I understand what "posturing" is in the context of Mafia. Without looking it up, and without knowing the specifics of what PMom is referencing in his role PM, my guess is that he felt it was a given that the kill was the result of either two scum teams or a scum/3P. That said, whether or not you were actually posturing has little to do with it.

I mean, it was a throwaway one-line post in the middle of a flow of conversation. To me it reads that PMom, a townie, was casual in choosing his words, and you, a scum, forced a case out of it.

:siren: The crux of my argument is that you accused him of pulling the "flavor from my role PM" out of thin air when he clearly referenced it two hours earlier. And then when you cased him, you left this fact (the thing that I feel invalidates the case) out of the quotes you used. I think you're quite good at reading comprehension so I don't feel like you missed it, I think you're trying to deceive.

Grandi, thoughts on this post?

You're welcome to ask me questions too!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

Grandi, thoughts on this post?

You're welcome to ask me questions too!

What thoughts do you want? I disagree, it looks like you think PMom came off better and more genuine in the exchange, and I think the opposite.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Ok, this is literally the main thrust of my case. You are saying that whether or not I was actually posturing has little to do with it when that is exactly my case: PMom has NO IDEA WHAT SHE WAS SAYING when she said I was posturing. She completely pulled that out of thin air. When I pushed her on it, she then made up even more bullshit. That's the case. It's a fake content case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Grandicap posted:

Merk is saying he will vote himself as an emphasis on how seriously he believes PMom slipped. It's the equivalent of I'll bet my life on it.

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You know, I would have thought you would use your lawyerly powers of perception to notice that you're the only person misgendering me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Here's what posturing means: In the context of a potential for two scum teams, or two night kills on the scumteam(s), you wanted to make sure you were Seen as asking for a town vig to claim the kill. I didn't read that as sincere, both because I thought it wouldn't happen, and because the wording on it was hella sketchy ("I am going to assume you're scum or 3p"? That only makes sense if you know who did the kill.)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

("I am going to assume you're scum or 3p"? That only makes sense if you know who did the kill.)

Mafia edit for clarification:

Because unless you know who did the kill, there's no "you" to assume anything of.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

You know, I would have thought you would use your lawyerly powers of perception to notice that you're the only person misgendering me.

Oh, sorry about that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's what posturing means: In the context of a potential for two scum teams, or two night kills on the scumteam(s), you wanted to make sure you were Seen as asking for a town vig to claim the kill. I didn't read that as sincere, both because I thought it wouldn't happen, and because the wording on it was hella sketchy ("I am going to assume you're scum or 3p"? That only makes sense if you know who did the kill.)

...and how does flavor from your role PM support this theory?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It was part of the ongoing discussion we were having about who the bad guys were. Flavour from my PM (which, again, italics, so :shrug:), and the Russian/Corporate flavours from the mason teams.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're trying to paint my response to your post as "Gotcha! I have flavour that contradicts you", but it's not, it's "As previously discussed, we have reason to believe there might be more than one bad guy NK, so why are you being weird in this way?"

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was part of the ongoing discussion we were having about who the bad guys were. Flavour from my PM (which, again, italics, so :shrug:), and the Russian/Corporate flavours from the mason teams.

How does flavor from your role PM support the theory that I was posturing? This is the basis of your post, and you haven't explained it for like four pages even after multiple questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is weird posturing, given we have flavour that indicates there's more than one bad guy out there.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Flavour in my role PM.

You have yet to explain how my post is "weird posturing" based on flavor in your role PM. That is my case. That is why I know you are scum.

• Locked thread