Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Did you create it on a channel higher than 11?

edit: Because > 11 is 5GHz and maybe your other devices don't support it.

Slowhanded posted:

Depending on your size needs and internet speeds, cloud storage may not be the best. But if you're looking at, say, < 3 TB and don't want to bother learning about RAID best practices, I'd recommend a cloud backup, yeah.

I still think learning to set up your own RAID is better, because at least the costs are fixed and you aren't at the mercy of your connection speed or connection availability to get access to your data, nor can the cloud provider close their doors on you. I have ~30GB of my most important stuff on S3 and that only costs $1/mo, and apparently it can be even cheaper if I use Glacier instead. You hope you never have to actually use the off-site backup, so it makes sense to have the backup you actually will use under your own control.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

Wow those were a lot of things I have never heard of. But a simpler problem for now: when I create the network on my mac it doesn't actually appear to work. It's not broadcasting a WiFi signal: none of my devices can find it. I was also surprised that there is no option to secure the network.

Well, the issue is going to be that if the host machine is not connected to a network, even assigning the VM to the wireless adapter is not going to magically create an ad-hoc or SoftAP WLAN. The VM is a virtual ethernet adapter, so all the VM gets is IP/subnet and gateway.

Do you have a little AP you can use to create the actual wireless network for a local WLAN? Without a local network for your Host OS, your VM has nothing to talk over.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

It's this. Classic Mac apps kept all text, picture, and layout data required for the user interface in the resource fork. 68K apps also kept actual executable code in the resource fork, so if it's a super old app it's really toast.

I suppose you could probably "repair" a PowerPC executable enough to get the OS to try to launch the app, but odds are excellent it'll just crash out on launch since it won't be able to read all the resources it's hard-coded to assume are present.
Yeah he's boned, unless the resource forks were preserved on the other storage through Appledouble files and still recoverable, but reading that it doesn't sound likely assuming this stuff was transferred off a Mac long ago.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Apparently at some point the version of rsync included with OS X stopped working with whatever version of rsync daemon Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comes with, so I had to finally decide on MacPorts vs Homebrew (went with Homebrew) and upgrade it to get my weekly backup script working.

It would also be nice if we finally had a better (or at least friendlier) option for this than the near 2 decades old rsync if TM's limitations make it a non-option, but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

flosofl posted:

Well, the issue is going to be that if the host machine is not connected to a network, even assigning the VM to the wireless adapter is not going to magically create an ad-hoc or SoftAP WLAN. The VM is a virtual ethernet adapter, so all the VM gets is IP/subnet and gateway.

Do you have a little AP you can use to create the actual wireless network for a local WLAN? Without a local network for your Host OS, your VM has nothing to talk over.

I don't have something to make an acces point. I wouldn't be able to give it power anyway (this all is going to happen in rural Congo). I thought that choosing create a network on my mac would create a wifi network. Much as how I can create a Wifi network with my iPhone.

If I create the network, it does show up on my iPhone 5s, as a device under wifi. It's not showing on the tablets (Android), even after changing the channel.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is driving me nuts; on OS X, and only on OS X, not Windows, Dropbox syncing stalls every single time because of a virtualenv-related Python file, and I have to manually pause and resume the sync for the sync to finish.

How the hell do I stop this madness from continuing? Ideally, I would prefer that my virtualenv folders were synced, but I guess I could manage with a semi-native ignore file.

I can't be the only Python developer who's going insane from this.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ufarn posted:

This is driving me nuts; on OS X, and only on OS X, not Windows, Dropbox syncing stalls every single time because of a virtualenv-related Python file, and I have to manually pause and resume the sync for the sync to finish.

How the hell do I stop this madness from continuing? Ideally, I would prefer that my virtualenv folders were synced, but I guess I could manage with a semi-native ignore file.

I can't be the only Python developer who's going insane from this.

Why in the world would you sync a virtualenv folder? There are easily thousands of small files in the folder structure that shouldn't have anything to do with your code. Just keep your requirements file in your dropbox and do
code:
virtualenv $ENV && source $ENV/bin/activate && pip install -r requirements.txt
on any computer you're working on.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GokieKS posted:

Apparently at some point the version of rsync included with OS X stopped working with whatever version of rsync daemon Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comes with, so I had to finally decide on MacPorts vs Homebrew (went with Homebrew) and upgrade it to get my weekly backup script working.

It would also be nice if we finally had a better (or at least friendlier) option for this than the near 2 decades old rsync if TM's limitations make it a non-option, but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.

Apple stopped updating it when rsync moved to the GPL3 license, because :spergin:. Building them yourself using the Commandline Toolset from Apple's Developer site is pretty easy if you don't want the overhead of MacPorts or HomeBrew.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any good guide for troubleshooting instant hotspot that broke with 10.10.2? Doesn't see my iPhone 6+ or iPad Air 2 anymore. I can use personal hotspot but then I'm at Bluetooth speeds which sucks. I've signed out and back in on all of the devices iCloud accounts. I've turned off personal hotspot. Handoff icons show up but instant hotspot is just being a bastard.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

NeuralSpark posted:

Apple stopped updating it when rsync moved to the GPL3 license, because :spergin:. Building them yourself using the Commandline Toolset from Apple's Developer site is pretty easy if you don't want the overhead of MacPorts or HomeBrew.

Yeah, I know they haven't updated it and won't, but it had been working fine until some point recently. It's not like rsync is a bleeding-edge program so it didn't matter that it was out of date so long as it was still forward compatible with the versions included by default on other *nix OSes, but that no longer being the case is annoying. MacPorts/Homebrew is easy enough that anyone who really needs rsync is probably more than capable of updating it that way, but it's just another chink in the "it just works" reputation when it comes to OS X.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Any good guide for troubleshooting instant hotspot that broke with 10.10.2? Doesn't see my iPhone 6+ or iPad Air 2 anymore. I can use personal hotspot but then I'm at Bluetooth speeds which sucks. I've signed out and back in on all of the devices iCloud accounts. I've turned off personal hotspot. Handoff icons show up but instant hotspot is just being a bastard.

It actually fixed a lot of Handoff problems for me, but I had luck getting it to work before the update by logging out of iCloud on all of my devices and then logging back in after a few minutes.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GokieKS posted:

Yeah, I know they haven't updated it and won't, but it had been working fine until some point recently. It's not like rsync is a bleeding-edge program so it didn't matter that it was out of date so long as it was still forward compatible with the versions included by default on other *nix OSes, but that no longer being the case is annoying. MacPorts/Homebrew is easy enough that anyone who really needs rsync is probably more than capable of updating it that way, but it's just another chink in the "it just works" reputation when it comes to OS X.

I dunno man, as someone who does DevOps poo poo all day everyday on OSX: if you want to admin *nix boxes or do any dev work other than writing iOS/OSX-exclusive apps, you pretty much have to just suck it up and get comfortable with using homebrew (gently caress fink and macports, that poo poo's old and busted) to keep modern versions of command line tools installed and updated.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GokieKS posted:

NeuralSpark posted:

http://rudix.org/packages/rsync.html

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I would think anyone who knew about rsync would be able to install Homebrew. It's even fairly idiot proof, I don't think it even requires Xcode tools.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Lawen posted:

I dunno man, as someone who does DevOps poo poo all day everyday on OSX: if you want to admin *nix boxes or do any dev work other than writing iOS/OSX-exclusive apps, you pretty much have to just suck it up and get comfortable with using homebrew (gently caress fink and macports, that poo poo's old and busted) to keep modern versions of command line tools installed and updated.

I don't understand why anyone would NOT want to use homebrew...the alternative (manually building/installing/managing dependencies) is just a waste of time and ultimately money...I've probably saved myself tens hours by doing "brew install oss_dependency_X" vs building that stuff by hand...

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

I don't understand why anyone would NOT want to use homebrew...the alternative (manually building/installing/managing dependencies) is just a waste of time and ultimately money...I've probably saved myself tens hours by doing "brew install oss_dependency_X" vs building that stuff by hand...
Yep. Count me in as another Homebrew fan. It's not perfect but it sure makes my life a lot easier.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I've been using MacPorts; any reason Homebrew is better?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fordan posted:

I've been using MacPorts; any reason Homebrew is better?
You know how it compiles everything from source, even a bunch stuff you (well, OS X) already has? Homebrew skips that and just uses the built in stuff when possible and everything installs much faster as a result.

There's some technical reasons to be against the way it does things but I forget what they are cause they don't come up in my use, which is pretty basic, just look for and install some things when I need them type of usage.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Whats a good way to manage wallpaper on a dual screen setup? Obviously OS X doesn't support just having a double wide image over the two screens, but having split pictures set to both screens on in order rotation works until I use something full screen. Anything more elegant available?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Set it to tile mode and it'll span.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

carry on then posted:

I'm probably being extremely dumb but tile is greyed out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, or how Windows works. Maybe you do have to split up each screen's wallpaper.

e: I'm sitting in front of a Windows machine right now, so unfortunately I can't look into it any further, sorry.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 23, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

This is what you have to do in windows.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

japtor posted:

You know how it compiles everything from source, even a bunch stuff you (well, OS X) already has? Homebrew skips that and just uses the built in stuff when possible and everything installs much faster as a result.

There's some technical reasons to be against the way it does things but I forget what they are cause they don't come up in my use, which is pretty basic, just look for and install some things when I need them type of usage.

It's an old Unix sysadmin thing. Traditionally you'd have your built-in tools supplied by the vendor, which are built to be stable and work well together but which are almost certainly out of date. The philosophy behind something like MacPorts or Fink is that if you want an extra or updated toolset it should be completely segregated from the built-in utilities. Say for example there's some maintenance script included in the OS that uses Perl - this will have been tested with the version of Perl that came with the system and isn't guaranteed to work with a newer version you installed over it. Also, if some tool you want has Perl as a dependency it can be built against the exact version it wants and not rely on the old built-in version.

In practice the average user isn't very likely to cause any catastrophic damage by using Homebrew, but there are definitely still good reasons to keep things cordoned off in a production environment.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Homebrew also never touches system header and library directories. If at any point something that you installed with Brew breaks something else, you can unlink the problematic package and things are fixed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Brew also knows when not to link something to the system-wide directories if the system comes with the package. Like if you install perl it will say the system already has perl so you'd have to explicitly specify the brew directory if you want to use brew's perl. You can override all of this too on a case by case basis. But generally it knows when it's safe to 'install' something system wide, but they're just links so yeah you can unlink it easily.

I actually switched from ports to brew this morning, it's significantly faster and a lot better to use IMO.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well I guess I figured out why iMessage was always logging me out on my MBA every once in a while. I've had two-factor authentication on for weeks (months?) and just now, tonight, it told me I needed to setup an app-specific password with no prior notification before. Let's see if I stay logged in this go around. :shobon:

Edit: And a big, fat nope. Just sat down at work and I still get logged out. This is really annoying...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I'm not really sure when this started, but I noticed this repeating over and over in the console:

quote:

2/28/15 12:27:02.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:04.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:05.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:06.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:07.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:08.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e

pretty much endlessly. Anyone know what this is about?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Since 10.10.2, Internet Accounts, calendar and contacts will not sync with my google account. I use 2fa and app passwords used to work but they don't with this anymore. Are others having this problem? I've been just ignoring it because it's not a huge deal and I saw in an upcoming release they are changing how the login works.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Beeftweeter posted:

I'm not really sure when this started, but I noticed this repeating over and over in the console:

pretty much endlessly. Anyone know what this is about?

It's the 360Controller kext falling over for some reason.

https://github.com/asarazan/360Controller/blob/master/360Controller/_60Controller.cpp
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

phosdex posted:

Since 10.10.2, Internet Accounts, calendar and contacts will not sync with my google account. I use 2fa and app passwords used to work but they don't with this anymore. Are others having this problem? I've been just ignoring it because it's not a huge deal and I saw in an upcoming release they are changing how the login works.

Mine fetches and sends mail without any problems, but repeatedly asks for app-specific password whenever I have the Internet Accounts dialog open. Not a big deal, but incredibly annoying.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Good catch, thanks! Turns out the wireless adapter itself somehow got fried.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I have a PDF of ~ 80 pages of text that I need to review, take notes on, etc. for an upcoming meeting. It appears to have been scanned but the PDF programs I've tried (Skim, Preview) don't recognize any text, so I can't do any highlighting. In looking around I've found a few programs $50+ that say they will be able to scan the text and turn it into a highlightable document because the text will be recognized...are there any cheaper, or free, programs that will do that? Or am I going about this the wrong way and I should try to do something else? I am trying to prevent having to print it out.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

that one guy posted:

I have a PDF of ~ 80 pages of text that I need to review, take notes on, etc. for an upcoming meeting. It appears to have been scanned but the PDF programs I've tried (Skim, Preview) don't recognize any text, so I can't do any highlighting. In looking around I've found a few programs $50+ that say they will be able to scan the text and turn it into a highlightable document because the text will be recognized...are there any cheaper, or free, programs that will do that? Or am I going about this the wrong way and I should try to do something else? I am trying to prevent having to print it out.

If it is a one time thing you could probably use Adobe's Creative Cloud trial to run OCR on it. If you don't mind uploading it, you can also try Nuance's pdf reader.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

that one guy posted:

are there any cheaper, or free, programs that will do that?

Install HomeBrew.

code:
brew install tesseract
Then read how to use it: https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/

Get your documents into .tiff or .png or whatever it accepts, then do

code:
tesseract input.tiff output.txt
You can also pass a language with -l eng I think. Honestly it's not that great. OCR is hard.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 1, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What is currently the best remote access/desktop software for osx?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

What is currently the best remote access/desktop software for osx?

VNC is supported with Screen Sharing (which is built into OS X).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

flosofl posted:

VNC is supported with Screen Sharing (which is built into OS X).

Although you have to explicitly enable non-Apple authentication which apparently no one appears to have reverse engineered, also the Apple flavoured VNC appears to use some form of video encoding that accelerates the feed above baseline Real VNC performance.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Although you have to explicitly enable non-Apple authentication which apparently no one appears to have reverse engineered, also the Apple flavoured VNC appears to use some form of video encoding that accelerates the feed above baseline Real VNC performance.
Meanwhile at least a few iOS apps have figured out the authentication, and some acceleration (faster than regular VNC clients to OS X, but not as fast as the native Screen Sharing app). Screens has a Mac version which presumably supports the same stuff as the iOS version but it's a bit pricey iirc. Jump Desktop is another one but I don't know how the Mac version is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice
May 29, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes:

So instead of : "rm -r ./*"
I typed: "rm -r /*"

It asked for a few confirmations, which I gave, before I figured out my mistake, and stopped. Everything seems to be working fine, but I wondered if there was any way to check and see if I deleted any system OS files, and maybe recover them. I'm on a 2014 macbook pro.
Thanks