Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gough Suppressant posted:

At one point Melbourne was the second most populous city in the British empire after London.

Less than 3 decades after it was founded, too.

Volkerball posted:

How split up is the fan base in Melbourne? Like if you go to Hawthorn is it mostly Hawks fans, Essendon Dons fans, North Norf fans, etc? Or is everybody just spread all over the city, with a bunch of people bandwagoning whichever team is good?

Now that the suburban grounds have all gone, less so. For the people in the inner suburbs you'd go for the team with their ground closest to you, so you could walk or catch a tram to the game every Saturday. Now that they are only training areas and not used for games (and that the majority of people live out in the middle of nowhere suburbia) it is about who you like or whatever team your dad grew up supporting.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question re broadcasting:

Is/would Brad McNamara, (the man largely resposnible for how awful Channel 9's cricket coverage is), be anywhere near their footy coverage?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I'm a Raiders, Avalanche, and Suns fan. I deserve a good team in at least one sport. For real, I don't watch much rugby, so when I do, I like it to be new zealand. They're so good it's incredible to watch. It reminds me of the Soviet hockey team back in the day. So much better than anyone else, it's silly.

The Avs are at least fun to watch. Just got back from the Avs-Stars game and saw another fun shootout win!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
For about the first minute of the Saints/Lions stream there was no commentary and was so nice.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

boy undead posted:

For about the first minute of the Saints/Lions stream there was no commentary and was so nice.

Yeah, every time last season that foxtel hosed up and just gave us game audio it was glorious until they fixed it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question re broadcasting:

Is/would Brad McNamara, (the man largely resposnible for how awful Channel 9's cricket coverage is), be anywhere near their footy coverage?

Word is that channel 9 aren't in the hunt for the next AFL rights deal as they're looking to focus on NRL.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints are getting pretty hammered in the midfield. Brisbane lead the disposals 97 - 71 and the contested possessions 35-26. This could get messy if the Lions start to convert their chances.

Stream looks like it's filmed on a potato and the commentary, which is better than the normal poo poo (just), cuts out and you can hear staff telling little kids to stay away from the field microphone. Even so this is still better than nothing.

E: those stats are at the end of the first.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 28, 2015

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

and you can hear staff telling little kids to stay away from the field microphone.

That was pretty drat adorable.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Paddy mccartin G.O.A.T.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Now the Saints game has theme music.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

boy undead posted:

Now the Saints game has theme music.

They should do this for Melbourne vs Essendon and just play yakkety sax

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Well, I suppose at least Richmond's jumper is somewhat representative of the team: pretty poo poo.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Looks like Libertore down with a knee injury for the bulldogs

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ch3cooh posted:

Looks like Libertore down with a knee injury for the bulldogs

Jesus Christ I hope it's not bad. What the gently caress

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ch3cooh posted:

The Avs are at least fun to watch. Just got back from the Avs-Stars game and saw another fun shootout win!

Sometimes. They don't shoot enough. :colbert:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Haha a kid just started singing "twinkle twinkle little star" into the field mic.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jesus Christ I hope it's not bad. What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/afl/status/571551210836119552

Looks like just planted wrong on his left foot and twisted his knee bad

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ch3cooh posted:

https://twitter.com/afl/status/571551210836119552

Looks like just planted wrong on his left foot and twisted his knee bad

ugh, that could very well be an ACL

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Sometimes. They don't shoot enough. :colbert:

7 shits through two periods tonight. It was brutal. But they pulled it off! I also saw their 11 round shoutout earlier this month with dallas. Great couple of games

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ch3cooh posted:

7 shits through two periods tonight. It was brutal. But they pulled it off! I also saw their 11 round shoutout earlier this month with dallas. Great couple of games

quoting before you can edit

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Going down immediately and then being able to hobble around on it right after is what an ACL usually presents like in footy isn't it?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Caleb Daniel isn't playing? Well I guess I have no reason to watch the Bulldogs play. :colbert:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I love the Essendon facebook page. A post made about who is going to be "back in" for a membership this year. Half the responses are "yay! I'm back in! Go Hirdy's Bombers!!!" And the other half are "I'll be back in when Hird is back out".

If Little keeps his word and if players cop significant suspensions and Hird's fate is left up to the members to vote on, then surely he'll survive if people who are anti-Hird are not signing up to memberships. Sort of counter productive. But that's only if Little keeps his word on that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Oh god apparently Billings has been subbed and was limping heavily. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

E: Saints twitter reporting it's just precautionary for hammy tightness.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 28, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Caleb Daniel isn't playing? Well I guess I have no reason to watch the Bulldogs play. :colbert:

Only newbies are Hamling and Boyd.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Going down immediately and then being able to hobble around on it right after is what an ACL usually presents like in footy isn't it?

Yeah, it certainly reminds me of a few others ACLs. Didn't McKenzie hobble off too?

Periphery posted:

Oh god apparently Billings has been subbed and was limping heavily. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

E: Saints twitter reporting it's just precautionary for hammy tightness.

Jesus christ fingers crossed. An injury for Billings will kill me.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

How split up is the fan base in Melbourne? Like if you go to Hawthorn is it mostly Hawks fans, Essendon Dons fans, North Norf fans, etc? Or is everybody just spread all over the city, with a bunch of people bandwagoning whichever team is good?

As someone who has only lived in Hawthorn or east-thereof I can confirm that Hawthorn is dominated by Hawks fans. this may have to do with Hawthorn having been "good" for all of the 3 years I've lived here.
I remember a survey that showed that for the most part, the suburbs associated with clubs tended to show a majority of support for those clubs. The exception was North, where people mostly barracked for Carlton (North has never really had a huge supporter base and dropped "North Melbourne" from their name for a healthy period in the early 00's). I don't have this survey at hand, but I believe it was posted in this thread at some point in time.

Volkerball posted:

I'm a Raiders, Avalanche, and Suns fan.

See at least you aren't rooting for a team that doesn't exist (BRING BACK ARE NORDIK).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Liberatore hurt his knee. Here's hoping it isn't an ACL.

E: AFL 2015 - ACL murder zone.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
What would it cost for us to replace players legs with robot legs on a league wide basis?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I hate it when they pay ducks in front of goal.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Would rather forget about today with four Bulldogs injured today.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
merry suns eve everybody

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is that richmonds clash jumper? its really awful

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Sounds like Prudden wasn't hurt too badly, been sighted in the warm down so he just got absolutely flattened.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Question about streaming AFL legally, it seams to be cheaper through the AFL Live Pass (i.e. standard Aussie way) than compared to the WatchAFL route, is the quality better through WatchAFL?

Also I've got one of those Tronsmart tv boxes thats basically an Android tablet rejigged for plugging into a TV, so running the AFL Live Pass through the tv won't be a problem with the AFL app. I'm guessing you need to use the browser for WatchAFL?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, watchAFL is through the browser. Quality isn't bad, but it's not great either.

http://i.imgur.com/iHeGlVu.jpg

Can't speak to the mobile app, but I'd imagine it's probably worse.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Spedman posted:

Question about streaming AFL legally, it seams to be cheaper through the AFL Live Pass (i.e. standard Aussie way) than compared to the WatchAFL route, is the quality better through WatchAFL?

Also I've got one of those Tronsmart tv boxes thats basically an Android tablet rejigged for plugging into a TV, so running the AFL Live Pass through the tv won't be a problem with the AFL app. I'm guessing you need to use the browser for WatchAFL?

Watchafl quality is better than the Telstra option. Probably because they only want mobile customers to use it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll try out the free trial period on the Telstra option and see how terrible it is on a TV, it might be handy for watching while not at home too, which is a non option with WatchAFL

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

Would rather forget about today with four Bulldogs injured today.

Libba did his ACL :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Checking out game highlights now.

McCartin is loving huge :stare:

• Locked thread