Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I'm looking to get silicone customs done but I can't stand the feeling of stuff inside my ear canals. Is there a good, bassy pair of ear buds or something similar that I can mold that silicone around instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Got the sennheiser momentums in today, all the packaged cables are like 3 feet long is there anything compatible with this headset like twice this long ?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Does anyone know about the comfort of AKG 701s on someone with an enormous head? I've seen conflicting info about them. I'd also take any other recommendations for big-head suitable headphones in the sub $300/£200 range.

I currently have a Steelseries Siberia V2 on which I max out the expansion band, and after half an hour becomes pretty annoying due to inward pressure and pushing up on my earlobes. Before that I had a Corsair Vengeance which cracked broke at a can's swivel point, due to the stretching of putting them on and off my head. Before that I had yet another set of which I cant remember, which also broke at the headband/can fixing.

If it helps I can just about squeeze in a XL ski helmet.

twoot fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 24, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twoot posted:

Does anyone know about the comfort of AKG 701s on someone with an enormous head? I've seen conflicting info about them. I'd also take any other recommendations for big-head suitable headphones in the sub $300/£200 range.

I currently have a Steelseries Siberia V2 on which I max out the expansion band, and after half an hour becomes pretty annoying due to inward pressure and pushing up on my earlobes. Before that I had a Corsair Vengeance which cracked broke at a can's swivel point, due to the stretching of putting them on and off my head. Before that I had yet another set of which I cant remember, which also broke at the headband/can fixing.

If it helps I can just about squeeze in a XL ski helmet.

I have a pair of K7XX which use the same system IIRC, and with my big head they are pretty much unusable. The top of my head gets very sore after about 20 minutes or so, and it slowly gets unbearable. Disappointing for sure, I've barely used them since they came. In comparison I can wear my AD900x non-stop for 6+ hours, I've never had an issue with them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, my head is fairly large—I wear an XL motorcycle helmet and depending on the brand even that can be a bit too small—but I find the Q701's to be one of my more comfortable headphones. I can wear them for hours. The most comfortable I've ever worn are the AKG K550, which barely put any pressure on my ears at all.

Despite my large head, the only headphones I've owned that really didn't work well for me were Beyerdynamic DT770's, which pressed down on the top of my head in the same way it sounds like the K701's do for BurritoJustice.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Badger posted:

I used them for the first time yesterday, and they weren't too bad. They fit in my ears with the smaller rubber pieces which is nice, but the volume buttons appear to control the headphone volume, not the phone's volume, which I found odd. The forward / backward song buttons also only had the effect of pausing my music for a second, but that could be a problem with PowerAmp. The neck piece didn't feel like it was moving around which is great, so overall I think they'll work for what I want.

I like how they are super light. I brought them accidentally into a secure area for an interview and completely forgot they were on my neck. And there is an annoying loud beep that you have to watch out for when powering them on or off. Also I use them for GPS over BT, I noticed a delay in the beginning of the audio, but that might be just BT in general I think the same thing happens over my car stereo.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think I am in the market for new headphones. I just spent the last two days waffling between polk audio hinges and a few others, but I decided against them. Mainly because I am so sick of headphones that focus on bass, usually they make the highs and mids sound like muddy garbage. Maybe you guys have some suggestions so I will bullet point quickly.

-Under $80 - These are not for studio listening these are for travel so I am willing to compromise some quality for the fact that they will probably have to be replaced sooner.
-Preferably on-ear, nothing gigantic; I have a good pair of Klipsch earbuds, I want actual headphones.
-Decent sound isolation. Mainly I don't want other people hearing me, so open is definitely out.
-Sound profile that is more neutral than bass heavy, gently caress bass heavy poo poo phones, some bass is okay but I don't want it drowning out everything else.
-I had HD280s that sound great and S4i's that are pretty good if that helps. I also had those awesome audio technica M50s but someone 'borrowed' them permanently.

-Headphone controls and a mic are nice, but not deal breakers. I would pay an extra $10 or whatever for them, but it's not really super vital.
-I prefer they don't look super tacky, but most headphones look okay so that is probably just me being me.

So pimp your favorite cheapo headphones. :D

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 26, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Maybe you guys can help me.

So currently I have Klipsch S4i II, which are nice enough, but they're a bit annoying because I can hear the cable moving around and they just don't feel very comfortable for long periods of time. Also, I don't know, they don't sound as nice as full headphones. They're super portable which is great, but I want something bigger.

Last week I found an AirMiles card with 1500 miles I didn't even know I had, and so I grabbed the only on-ear headphones they had. They are just as terrible as they appear :D but you can't beat $free. The thing is, they really hurt to wear for more than like 20 minutes. I have really big ears. Also, they don't extend nearly enough for me to comfortably wear them. I guess I have a big head, too!

So I'm thinking maybe I should throw down some money. They need to be over-ear, durable, have an inline Apple-compatible remote, sound fantastic, and have minimal leakage so I can use them in the office for hours at a time. I've been looking at the NAD VISO HP50 and the Sennheiser Urbanite XL, but the only store near me in Toronto (Bay Bloor Radio) that would let me sit down and test them for like an hour is all sold out.

What do you guys recommend? The problem with buying something online is that I don't want to be stuck if they end up being woefully uncomfortable for whatever reason.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love my HP50's. My favorite sounding headphones by far. While I'd say they're comfortable, clamping pressure is a little high. I also have a big head and they get large enough for me. My ears are normal sized so I can't say how that aspect would be for you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

unlawfulsoup posted:

Beyerdynamic DT-235 :)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

KozmoNaut posted:

Beyerdynamic DT-235 :)

I like what I am reading review wise, and they are a lot less money than I was expecting to spend. One question, how is the bass on them? Some reviews mention it being powerful, and that is often code for overpowering.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like what I am reading review wise, and they are a lot less money than I was expecting to spend. One question, how is the bass on them? Some reviews mention it being powerful, and that is often code for overpowering.

Solid, but not boomy at all.

Compared to higher-end headphones with almost 100% linear bass extension, such as the DT-880s (which I also have, and love), there is a bit of a mid-bass hump. The vast majority of headphones have this, and I think it's a lot less pronounced in the DT-235. If anything, it's nice and punchy rather than big and boomy.

Oddly enough, half of the reviews I've seen complain that the bass is lacking, especially in the very low frequences. The other half says they are bass-heavy and a bit muddy. I'd say they're roughly in the middle, they're the best sub-$80 headphones I've heard, and they're less than $35 on Amazon right now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 26, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

KozmoNaut posted:

Solid, but not boomy at all.

Compared to higher-end headphones with almost 100% linear bass extension, such as the DT-880s (which I also have, and love), there is a bit of a mid-bass hump. The vast majority of headphones have this, and I think it's a lot less pronounced in the DT-235. If anything, it's nice and punchy rather than big and boomy.

Oddly enough, half of the reviews I've seen complain that the bass is lacking, especially in the very low frequences. The other half says they are bass-heavy and a bit muddy. I'd say they're roughly in the middle, they're the best sub-$80 headphones I've heard, and they're less than $35 on Amazon right now.

It all sounds very good, I am not expecting M50 level reproduction, but a solid balanced sound. Unless someone else has something else to consider, I think I will pull the trigger tonight, thank you for the suggestion.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cheers, I hope you like them as much as I do.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

powderific posted:

I love my HP50's. My favorite sounding headphones by far. While I'd say they're comfortable, clamping pressure is a little high. I also have a big head and they get large enough for me. My ears are normal sized so I can't say how that aspect would be for you.

Alright, I managed to find a store that has them in stock. I'll go try them out. I am optimistic. The style's neat, too.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Can anyone compare the sennheiser hd 598's and the HD 25-1 II? I really like the sound on the sennheiser momentums but the 3ft cable doesn't fit my use for them as an at home headphone. Any suggestion on a similar headphone with longer removeable cables would be great.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think I am in the market for new headphones. I just spent the last two days waffling between polk audio hinges and a few others, but I decided against them. Mainly because I am so sick of headphones that focus on bass, usually they make the highs and mids sound like muddy garbage. Maybe you guys have some suggestions so I will bullet point quickly.

-Under $80 - These are not for studio listening these are for travel so I am willing to compromise some quality for the fact that they will probably have to be replaced sooner.
-Preferably on-ear, nothing gigantic; I have a good pair of Klipsch earbuds, I want actual headphones.
-Decent sound isolation. Mainly I don't want other people hearing me, so open is definitely out.
-Sound profile that is more neutral than bass heavy, gently caress bass heavy poo poo phones, some bass is okay but I don't want it drowning out everything else.
-I had HD280s that sound great and S4i's that are pretty good if that helps. I also had those awesome audio technica M50s but someone 'borrowed' them permanently.

-Headphone controls and a mic are nice, but not deal breakers. I would pay an extra $10 or whatever for them, but it's not really super vital.
-I prefer they don't look super tacky, but most headphones look okay so that is probably just me being me.

If you're going super cheap then the Superlux HD681 Evo will be fine as a hold off pair. They sound nice and you can get an aftermarket cable with a remote for them rather easily. If you want something that'll be a step up, the NVX XPT100 would be my choice.

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Can anyone compare the sennheiser hd 598's and the HD 25-1 II? I really like the sound on the sennheiser momentums but the 3ft cable doesn't fit my use for them as an at home headphone. Any suggestion on a similar headphone with longer removeable cables would be great.

I can't think of a reason why those two headphones would ever be compared. If you want a travel headphone then the HD25-1 II would be excellent. If you're solely using them at home then open headphones almost always provide a better auditory experience per dollar.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Midorka posted:

If you're going super cheap then the Superlux HD681 Evo will be fine as a hold off pair. They sound nice and you can get an aftermarket cable with a remote for them rather easily. If you want something that'll be a step up, the NVX XPT100 would be my choice.

Those both get good reviews, but they seem large, and I already have a passable pair of studio headphones.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Those both get good reviews, but they seem large, and I already have a passable pair of studio headphones.

Duh, you did say travel. What do you have now in your headphone inventory?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Midorka posted:

Duh, you did say travel. What do you have now in your headphone inventory?

HD280s for plugging into my amp/computer, s4i's for my iPhone, I had a AT M50 which I would try to get again if I wanted another really good studio. I am just looking for a middle ground headphone for the time being. Kozmonaut's beyer is pretty much what I was looking for, but I am always open to suggestions.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

HD280s for plugging into my amp/computer, s4i's for my iPhone, I had a AT M50 which I would try to get again if I wanted another really good studio. I am just looking for a middle ground headphone for the time being. Kozmonaut's beyer is pretty much what I was looking for, but I am always open to suggestions.

Well I can think of an upgrade to your Klipsch and the HD280 in your price range. NVX XPT100 would be an upgrade to the HD280, no doubt in my mind, and the s4i would be bested by many $50-$100 headphones. The S4i have boomy bass while the HD280 have none. I find it interesting you have two polar opposite headphones.

I'd personally recommend getting something like the thinksound ms01 or perhaps the second version of the Meelectronics a151p (I'll have these this week to know how they sound for sure, but I feel confident in them based on my talks with the rep). You're not really going to gain anything by buying another mid-grade full-sized travel headphone that an IEM can't do already. Get an over ear IEM, they mute most microphonics or wear your S4i over ear.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So my Vsonic VSD3S arrived and I have no idea how to wear these things. Like, which one is left, which way is up. It's a really stupid question but I can't really figure it out.
Also what's the difference between all these tips.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

So my Vsonic VSD3S arrived and I have no idea how to wear these things. Like, which one is left, which way is up. It's a really stupid question but I can't really figure it out.
Also what's the difference between all these tips.

They are worn over the ear, this provides a better seal/fit with less microphonics. Basically the cable will go around the back of your ears while the IEM will then enter from the front as seen here.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but i'm looking to buy a new headset for my gaming PC. Ideally it would sound really nice, and have a good quality microphone attached. I've been using the great Sennheiser PC350 for about 6-7 years now, and the ear cup and head-cushion lining have been disintegrating all over my head for the past 12 months. I know that it's possible to get replacement ear cups and cushions, but since Sennheiser no longer makes the model in question, i've seen lots of posts about people only being able to buy dodgy third party replacements that are really sub-standard. If I could, i'd just buy another PC350, but they've been discontinued, and it seems like what replaced the model is pretty much garbage. (The set I have was their first foray into this category and was essentially one of their better headsets with a mic strapped to it. In recent years they've started cutting costs and corners and the quality seems to have really tanked.)

Are there any agreed upon great quality headsets that aren't ludicrously overpriced? I'd like to avoid gimmicky features like mock surround sound and supposed 7.1 headsets if I can. My max budget is about £120-£150 (around $200-$230).

Edit: It will mostly be used for playing games, listening to music and watching films. I'd prefer to stick to non-USB headsets.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 27, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Midorka posted:

Well I can think of an upgrade to your Klipsch and the HD280 in your price range. NVX XPT100 would be an upgrade to the HD280, no doubt in my mind, and the s4i would be bested by many $50-$100 headphones. The S4i have boomy bass while the HD280 have none. I find it interesting you have two polar opposite headphones.

I'd personally recommend getting something like the thinksound ms01 or perhaps the second version of the Meelectronics a151p (I'll have these this week to know how they sound for sure, but I feel confident in them based on my talks with the rep). You're not really going to gain anything by buying another mid-grade full-sized travel headphone that an IEM can't do already. Get an over ear IEM, they mute most microphonics or wear your S4i over ear.

I understand that, I am just kind of tired of having stuff deep in my ear.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gunder posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but i'm looking to buy a new headset for my gaming PC. Ideally it would sound really nice, and have a good quality microphone attached. I've been using the great Sennheiser PC350 for about 6-7 years now, and the ear cup and head-cushion lining have been disintegrating all over my head for the past 12 months. I know that it's possible to get replacement ear cups and cushions, but since Sennheiser no longer makes the model in question, i've seen lots of posts about people only being able to buy dodgy third party replacements that are really sub-standard. If I could, i'd just buy another PC350, but they've been discontinued, and it seems like what replaced the model is pretty much garbage. (The set I have was their first foray into this category and was essentially one of their better headsets with a mic strapped to it. In recent years they've started cutting costs and corners and the quality seems to have really tanked.)

Are there any agreed upon great quality headsets that aren't ludicrously overpriced? I'd like to avoid gimmicky features like mock surround sound and supposed 7.1 headsets if I can. My max budget is about £120-£150 (around $200-$230).

Edit: It will mostly be used for playing games, listening to music and watching films. I'd prefer to stick to non-USB headsets.

It may be slightly above your budget, but I love my Astro A40's. Yes, they pander to the "1337 gamerz take my :10bux: for stupid gimmicks" crowd, but they sound great, and the mic quality is wonderful. I work from home a lot, and 4-hour conference calls are far more bearable. I do look a bit silly on a video call, however.

The Mixamp that they usually bundle has mock surround sound, but it's Dolby Headphone, which is actually quite good. The competing fake surround sound standard out there is Creative's CMSS-3D, which is also good. Many reviewers find the latter to be more "accurate"; I find the former to be more enjoyable. My Windows Phone uses Dolby Headphone as well.

I guess what all of these :words: are saying is that even if you aren't looking for surround sound in a gaming headset, it can actually be quite nice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I understand that, I am just kind of tired of having stuff deep in my ear.

Oddly enough, some IEMs are much more comfortable even with the same tips. I dunno why. Try the over-ear method though, always increases comfort for me.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Midorka posted:

I can't think of a reason why those two headphones would ever be compared. If you want a travel headphone then the HD25-1 II would be excellent. If you're solely using them at home then open headphones almost always provide a better auditory experience per dollar.

What home listening headphones would you recommend around $200? Just the 598s? I compared them since i liked the sennheisers i'd bought i just didn't like their short rear end cord.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What home listening headphones would you recommend around $200? Just the 598s? I compared them since i liked the sennheisers i'd bought i just didn't like their short rear end cord.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900x are loving amazing and go under $200 regularly. They are purely home use, being huge and very open, but they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Really wide, spacious sound because they are so open.

Midorka can probably say more in depth words than me, especially compared to the other phones around that price, iirc he is a fan of the AD series (AD2000s I remember specifically).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I think for $200 there are a few open headphones I'd consider. The ad900x, hd598 and the dt880, though the dt880 and hd598 I think are disserved without an amp. I personally love audio technica, certainly a fanboy of the ad line so they're my favorite recommendation, but you can't go wrong with any listed.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

It may be slightly above your budget, but I love my Astro A40's. Yes, they pander to the "1337 gamerz take my :10bux: for stupid gimmicks" crowd, but they sound great, and the mic quality is wonderful. I work from home a lot, and 4-hour conference calls are far more bearable. I do look a bit silly on a video call, however.

The Mixamp that they usually bundle has mock surround sound, but it's Dolby Headphone, which is actually quite good. The competing fake surround sound standard out there is Creative's CMSS-3D, which is also good. Many reviewers find the latter to be more "accurate"; I find the former to be more enjoyable. My Windows Phone uses Dolby Headphone as well.

I guess what all of these :words: are saying is that even if you aren't looking for surround sound in a gaming headset, it can actually be quite nice.

Thanks for the advice. In the end I decided to try the Sennheiser PC 363D headset. It seems to be high quality, unlike their G4ME models.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Midorka posted:

I think for $200 there are a few open headphones I'd consider. The ad900x, hd598 and the dt880, though the dt880 and hd598 I think are disserved without an amp. I personally love audio technica, certainly a fanboy of the ad line so they're my favorite recommendation, but you can't go wrong with any listed.

My current source is just the realtek on my motherboard, what's the cheapest desktop amp I could get away with for the dt880 250ohms or the 598s? The ad900x seem attractive if only because I can compare them to my other headphones with my current source.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

My current source is just the realtek on my motherboard, what's the cheapest desktop amp I could get away with for the dt880 250ohms or the 598s? The ad900x seem attractive if only because I can compare them to my other headphones with my current source.

You could get a Schiit Fulla for like $100, or spend $100 more to "future proof" your set up with the Schiit Modi and Magni. Monoprice has a DAC/amp combo at a great price and I've heard good things about it but the Schiit stuff is top notch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like the best place.

Im after a bluetooth bridge, I guess. I want to transmit audio from one device via aux out to another with aux in. Does such a pair of devices exist?

I have found transceivers but I cant fid any documentation that they will pair with each other and work back and forth.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like the best place.

Im after a bluetooth bridge, I guess. I want to transmit audio from one device via aux out to another with aux in. Does such a pair of devices exist?

I have found transceivers but I cant fid any documentation that they will pair with each other and work back and forth.

AudioEngine at least used to have exactly that. See if you can find one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

AudioEngine at least used to have exactly that. See if you can find one.

The thing is, its gotta transmit and receive.

its for a microphone/earpiece setup I am playing with.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

The thing is, its gotta transmit and receive.

its for a microphone/earpiece setup I am playing with.

Interesting, I missed that. Haven't heard of anything like that but I would have no reason to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Interesting, I missed that. Haven't heard of anything like that but I would have no reason to.

I had a pair of philips IEMS that came with a BT dongle transmitter and a BT dongle receiver that you paired together and it worked well but I lost the charger (some weird USB standard that nothing else uses) and now they wont hold a charge.

the best thing was that the receiver end could have any headphones plugged into it, effectively giving you a bridge.

Basically I want to delete the wire between my Xbox controller and my headset. there are some devices on the market that incorporate this but I like my Astros and I will be damned if I have to use lovely turtlebeach headsets to delete a wire.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I'm a crazy person who bought a Blue Yeti, pop filter, and boom arm, but I need a pair of headphones I can leave with my computer since the mic will pick up my speakers really well.

-Under $150 preferably but I really don't know how much I would need to spend on good pair of studio monitors.
-Over the ear.
-Good sound isolation since the mic will pick up stuff coming out of the headphones.
-Sound profile that is neutral. I can always EQ up the bass if I need to. I'd rather have a more accurate sound since I listen to a big variety of music.
-I have Sennheiser MM 500-X headphones and like them and they work for use on the computer, but they're tiring to wear after a couple of hours and I bought that pair for the variety of inputs (bluetooth and wired) and noise canceling it had for travel, not for the accurate sounds it outputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midorka posted:

I'm a fanboy of the AD line too and I can second they're fantastic.