Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Warp in the West was a background event explained in Morrowind though, had we gone back to Daggerfall and everything had been exactly as it was NOT described, it'd be another matter I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

But Daggerfall Covenant players start in Daggerfall in Illiac Bay in ESO, and there are only the smattering of post-Warp kingdoms controlling High Rock, not the dozens of city states that existed pre-Warp. Of course, it isn't CHIM like with Cyrodiil that caused the Warp, but it was the Numidium which is kind of like an anti-CHIM device, but still I've yet to see anyone really complaining about that which is what I meant.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

anti-CHIM device

Isn't that just playing ES on a console

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FutonForensic posted:

Isn't that just playing ES on a console

I try not to think too much about such lost souls.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I first played Skryim on a console because my PC at the time was terrible. You could shower and eat lunch during the loading screens.

It was a dark moment in my life.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They can't even install mods. What's even the point of playing a TES game, then?

I know, the answer is "a sense of place and being able to play house/pretty dress-up".

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The first time my roommate had to reload to get unstuck from a rock was like that moment in childhood where you first came to grips with the advantages you had in life.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Berke Negri posted:

But Daggerfall Covenant players start in Daggerfall in Illiac Bay in ESO, and there are only the smattering of post-Warp kingdoms controlling High Rock, not the dozens of city states that existed pre-Warp. Of course, it isn't CHIM like with Cyrodiil that caused the Warp, but it was the Numidium which is kind of like an anti-CHIM device, but still I've yet to see anyone really complaining about that which is what I meant.

you've seen nobody complain because who in the gently caress gives a single poo poo about eso, seriously

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

The first time my roommate had to reload to get unstuck from a rock was like that moment in childhood where you first came to grips with the advantages you had in life.

Yeah I played tons of FNV and Skyrim on PS3 and I'll never go back. FNV in particular becomes literally unplayable after about 100 hours.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

512 megabytes of RAM, baby.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cubey posted:

you've seen nobody complain because who in the gently caress gives a single poo poo about eso, seriously

There are dozens of us, dozens.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

is eso a good game yet

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
mods can someone ban this troll?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

LoonShia posted:

They can't even install mods. What's even the point of playing a TES game, then?

I know, the answer is "a sense of place and being able to play house/pretty dress-up".

I played console ES games for the longest time because at my heart I am a terrible hoarder and greedy man so I didn't mind vanilla because it still allowed me to feed my latent neurosis.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

is eso a good game yet

Come patch 1.7 it will be. They're getting rid of the stupid as gently caress Veteran Rank system in that patch.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

OK so how long does the extracting files part for MGSO last? I've tried like 4 times and each time I get to a different percent and progress just halts.

Edit: Seems to be moving but is it supposed to take and hour and a half?

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 28, 2015

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Xinlum posted:

OK so how long does the extracting files part for MGSO last? I've tried like 4 times and each time I get to a different percent and progress just halts.

Edit: Seems to be moving but is it supposed to take and hour and a half?

I think you're looking for the Skyrim modding thread

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Did you know that in Valenwood, this building is known as the Black-Blue tower!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

:golfclap:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

Thought it was a lore joke I didn't get, took me three solid minutes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Is this a reference to that stupid dress? Because I really don't see anything different on that picture?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Well played! How did that thing become so large in... What, a day?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
No, the tower is clearly white and gold.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

axolotl farmer posted:

Whizbang posted:

No, the tower is clearly white and gold.

:golfclap: to you both.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's blue and gold you dense motherfuckers :argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In my c0da it's the paralyzed body of a fifth era hist-sim sent back by AKANU in order to mantle Vehk and his brothersister Vehk.

(So it's blue and gold :downsrim:)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

As usual Vivec solves the problem by being both: white and gold on one side, and black and blue on the other.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What happened to that zany GBS thread

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society
I'm getting the urge to play some ES again, but I've pretty much played Skyrim to death. Is there any point to picking up Oblivion or will that just look horribly dated at this point?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Oblivion's looks, apart from faces, are not its problems. I still think it looks pretty good apart from the people.

Just find your favored overhaul mod and it can be pretty fun, especially Shivering Isles.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm playing Skyrim for the first time right now super casually, first Elder Scrolls game ever. I'm trying to figure out, really, who are the good guys? Or, the better guys? I get that these Thalmor guys are awful nazis but at first with the Empire I thought "woo gently caress the empire rebels for life."

But then I got to Windhelm and the Stormcloaks don't seem that great either with all the racism.

But then the empire is executing everyone and they seem pretty oppressive too, on top of that I'm all for religious freedom.

I can't really play enough to really figure this out in depth because I have a job and a life and stuff to do and holy poo poo this game is big.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BrainDance posted:

I'm playing Skyrim for the first time right now super casually, first Elder Scrolls game ever. I'm trying to figure out, really, who are the good guys? Or, the better guys? I get that these Thalmor guys are awful nazis but at first with the Empire I thought "woo gently caress the empire rebels for life."

But then I got to Windhelm and the Stormcloaks don't seem that great either with all the racism.

But then the empire is executing everyone and they seem pretty oppressive too, on top of that I'm all for religious freedom.

I can't really play enough to really figure this out in depth because I have a job and a life and stuff to do and holy poo poo this game is big.

They're both lovely for their own reasons which is why its good. No easy good/evil choice here. I usually go empire because while they're brutal and oppressive the stormcloaks are literal nord supremacist Nazis. Just roleplay and go with whoever makes sense for your character.

I.e don't do what I did and do a run as mittens the confused khajit stormcloak mage. Why the hell did they make the stormcloaks accessible to non-nords? Especially elves and beast races. Makes zero sense.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Talos is a pretty good illustration of how if you tell somone they can't do something they get super into it.

I mean I never really cared much about the Nine, but then come the Thalmor and the whole playerbase is :byodood:MUH TALOS:byodood:

(Well that and literally holding reality together, that helps)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The joke about the Talos thing is that before Ulfric started agitating about it everyone still was worshipping Talos. They just, instead of down at the temple, had a little shrine in their basement instead, and whenever the Empire came around they looked at it and said 'oh, hey, that's a pretty cool thing that is definitely not a shrine to Talos there, we see no issues'.

Then in Markarth when Ulfric re-took the Hold from the Reachmen he said 'hey I'll give it back but only if we're allowed to worship Talos again', and the Empire had no choice but to say 'welp, okay, but let's just hope the Thalmor don't find out because we're totally in violation of the White-Gold Concordat here'.

Of course, since the Thalmor had their hands in it from the beginning they easily found out and they said to the Empire 'hey, fuckers, that treaty, remember?' and the Empire was forced to imprison Ulfric and say 'okay, look, we fixed it.' The Thalmor replied 'well you still hosed it up, we don't trust you anymore so we're sending our own guys to enforce the ban on Talos worship, so deal with it.' Those guys, the Justicars, weren't as willing as the Empire to glaze their eyes over whenever they saw signs of Talos worship, which basically hosed things up for everyone and made people really start hating the Empire.

So sometime after Ulfric's father died he got out of jail and went to Windhelm and was put on the throne, started agitating for independence. Then the old High King died, and at the moot where Torygg was elected Ulfric was agitating for it, but Torygg idolized him and probably would have followed Ulfric's lead. Instead Ulfric said 'nope, you're just an Imperial Puppet so die', killed him with the help of the Voice, and plunged the province into civil war.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The problem with everyone being assholes in Skyrim is that there's no "gently caress everyone" option like in New Vegas.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It really comes to a head when you chat to Jarl Billygoat Gruff about the civil war. You ask him what it'd take to stop the fighting, and he says: "Ulfric Stormcloak's head on a pike". So you go to Windhelm, home of stone corridors, and enter the Palace of the Kings, as a stalwart Imperial dude. You approach Jarl Ulfric, sitting on his throne, and draw your sword.

Guess what you can't do.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

The problem with everyone being assholes in Skyrim is that there's no "gently caress everyone" option like in New Vegas.

Well resolving the civil war is not the main quest. So simply don't pick a side, enforce truce to kill Alduin and walk away.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I'm playing Skyrim for the first time right now super casually, first Elder Scrolls game ever. I'm trying to figure out, really, who are the good guys?

Have you met Saadia yet?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

LoonShia posted:

It really comes to a head when you chat to Jarl Billygoat Gruff about the civil war. You ask him what it'd take to stop the fighting, and he says: "Ulfric Stormcloak's head on a pike". So you go to Windhelm, home of stone corridors, and enter the Palace of the Kings, as a stalwart Imperial dude. You approach Jarl Ulfric, sitting on his throne, and draw your sword.

Guess what you can't do.

Yeah the whole 'open world make your choices blah blah blah' that's supposed to be a selling point of TES really falls apart pretty quick when you start thinking of things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dear Todd,

Please fire whoever coded/first thought of set_essential

Thanks