Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Lmfao at the shoe.

Cmon Sri Lanka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

Do England have the worst bowling line-up in the competition?
The impression the stats give is that they're basically good at one thing - taking wickets early on - and other than that they're really bad. So if you get a day like today when they don't take wickets early on...

We really should just have Anderson and Woakes bowl the first 20 overs and hang the consequences.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Paul.Power posted:

The impression the stats give is that they're basically good at one thing - taking wickets early on - and other than that they're really bad. So if you get a day like today when they don't take wickets early on...

Interestingly Sri Lanka are also good at only one thing, and that is not losing early wickets. The stage is set for a perfectly balanced match between England's lovely death bowling and Sri Lanka's lovely death batting, what a mouthwatering contest!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Bring back Dernbach imo

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I haven't really ever watched much cricket before. At the current rate of scoring, Sri Lanka are behind England's 309, but the impression I'm getting from the announcers is that they are doing quite well. Is that because later on in the match the bowlers get tired and it's easier to score?

edit: well until that catch, at least

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The top bowlers can only bowl for so long. So once SL get through them, their run rate should increase.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Sri Lanka are going to be absolutely terrible when Dilshan, Jayawardne and Sangakkara are gone.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

NIGARS posted:

Interestingly Sri Lanka are also good at only one thing, and that is not losing early wickets. The stage is set for a perfectly balanced match between England's lovely death bowling and Sri Lanka's lovely death batting, what a mouthwatering contest!

i'm smacking my lips in anticipation

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I haven't really ever watched much cricket before. At the current rate of scoring, Sri Lanka are behind England's 309, but the impression I'm getting from the announcers is that they are doing quite well. Is that because later on in the match the bowlers get tired and it's easier to score?

edit: well until that catch, at least
The main thing is that the later in the innings you go, the less you stand to lose from playing risky shots. A good batsman getting out doing something crazy in the fifth over is potentially wasting 45 overs, a good batsman getting out doing something crazy in the 45th over is only wasting five overs. So run rates naturally tend to accelerate towards the end of the innings.

This goes double at this World Cup, with only four fielders allowed outside the 30-yard circle.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
i love the way England play cricket, they get a set batsman out finally and the very next thing they do is bring Joe Root on to bowl.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

There are a lot of reasons it can get easier to score later on, some of the big ones are:

1) a new ball swings and seams more than an old ball and is much more difficult to bat against
2) the fielding team's best bowlers only bowl 10 overs each
3) if you have a lot of wickets left in the final 10 overs, you can start swinging for the boundaries more often since getting out isn't as big a deal
4) the pitch gets slower and less bouncy the longer you bowl on it, though this is more pronounced in tests than in ODIs
5) batsmen who have been batting a long time are settled in and used to the bowlers' actions, pace, changes of pace, etc

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

i love the way England play cricket, they get a set batsman out finally and the very next thing they do is bring Joe Root on to bowl.
England need to get Swann out of retirement and play Tredwell so they can have a Grand Orthodox Off-Spinners' Gala.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Meanwhile, in Brisbane: Pakistan 4/2 (3.5 ov)

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Thanks for the responses, they make a lot of sense.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pakistan 2 down already.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Remember that brief period last year when Pakistan were an all-conquering batting juggernaut?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i honestly fancy the uae against pakistan at this point

how poo poo would this england team be without root?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It's at times like this we really need Tredwell's ability to bowl six balls in a row without one of them being really bad.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Doctor Cave posted:

Remember that brief period last year when Pakistan were an all-conquering batting juggernaut?

Yeah when they were clowning Australia. Then NZ arrived in UAE and things changed pretty quickly.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Pakistan not thinking net run rate will be a factor in making the QFs

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Red_Museum posted:

Pakistan not thinking net run rate will be a factor in making the QFs

well it certainly won't be for them

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"run rate" means a different thing in the context of "net run rate" than it normally does. The formula for NRR is:

(runs scored / wickets lost) / (runs conceded / wickets taken)

It's basically your collective team batting average, divided by the collective batting averages of your opponents. Speed of runscoring isn't a factor in the calculation.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Drugs posted:

"run rate" means a different thing in the context of "net run rate" than it normally does. The formula for NRR is:

(runs scored / wickets lost) / (runs conceded / wickets taken)

It's basically your collective team batting average, divided by the collective batting averages of your opponents. Speed of runscoring isn't a factor in the calculation.

Hence NZ not being worried about throwing away wickets going after the Scottish and Australian totals.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha England is a bad team.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

lol those bowling stats

for those who missed it; Anderson and Broad are averaging over 80 with the ball in this world cup, which is a great thing for your main bowlers to do

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warnie's just gonna keep hammering on this point unless they get a wicket

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

obviously the technical people at that game are english

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

obviously the technical people at that game are english

They've been producing the footage well in the nets

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

is it the same everywhere, or is it just sky that are cutting to a "we apologise for a loss of pictures" card every two seconds?

e: apparently "bad storm in sydney". fuckin australians

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Does New Zealand not have any devices that beam signals up to satellites? Only devices that beam signals to Australia's satellite beaming devices?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

So assuming no more upsets and that England are going to lose this game, if bangers can beat Scotland the match between England and Bangladesh will decide 4th place.

E: also assuming England can pull an upset and beat Afghanistan

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Didn't see this posted in the last half dozen or so posts yet

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

NZ ranked 9 lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

IceAgeComing posted:

is it the same everywhere, or is it just sky that are cutting to a "we apologise for a loss of pictures" card every two seconds?

e: apparently "bad storm in sydney". fuckin australians

Its looking like quite the storm from my house a couple of Kms from the ground. Bloody Sydney weather.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
england and nz should just do away with the rigmarole and swap imo

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Bopara in next match to field at long stop, imo

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
so what needs to happen for england to miss the quarter finals

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

puchu posted:

so what needs to happen for england to miss the quarter finals

Bangladesh v England is shaping up as a knockout basically.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Smorgasbord posted:

Bangladesh v England is shaping up as a knockout basically.

So they're still alive after all this bullshit? God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Surrendering a 300+ runs chase while taking 1 wicket has to be very rare, doesn't it? I'm still a cricket newbie but this seems an awful performance even to me.