Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was with my brother and his kids over the weekend at Toys R Us, and apparently they released a Legacy White Tigerzord at some point. The side of the box has it combined with the saber tooth tiger/triceratops from the Legacy Megazord so I guess that means we're not getting a Legacy Thunderzord?

I'm still thinking there will be one, they just wanted to keep the wave of Tommy-related gear going. I just got mine and when the Tigerzord is in Warrior Mode, the shoulders swivel down like they do for the Mega Tigerzord combo and there are Zordbuilder pegs beneath the armor that are uncovered. They would line up perfectly for the Lion Thunderzord's front feet to snap in place on top. Granted, they could have done that just in case and because more Zordbuilder pegs are good for the line in general, but I think that a Thunder Megazord will probably happen later this year. Maybe revealed at SDCC or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Not surprised Sabin continues their lovely monopoly when they sent a C+D to a sentai fan game.

What? Their lovely monopoly on something they brought the rights to in this country and actively make their own version of? That video wasn't even sentai, it was out-right Power Rangers. Stuff Saban themselves originally created.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Good god, we've been talking about POWER/RANGERS for a solid 45 minutes now.

I know you guys generally have a Don't Have Podcasts Longer Than The Original Runtime rule, but I think with special things like this, going longform is better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I know you guys generally have a Don't Have Podcasts Longer Than The Original Runtime rule, but I think with special things like this, going longform is better.

Yeah, it was honestly one of my favorite recording sessions ever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
AND THEN I BLATHERED AT HIM AT LENGTH ABOUT ULTRAMAN

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

What? Their lovely monopoly on something they brought the rights to in this country and actively make their own version of? That video wasn't even sentai, it was out-right Power Rangers. Stuff Saban themselves originally created.

POWER/RANGERS wasn't made for profit and is very, very, VERY clearly parody, which is one of the most clear-cut examples of fair use. They don't really have a leg to stand on, and they're picking on a dude with enough money to call them on it (Adi Shankar is kind of a bigshot movie producer), so this could be interesting.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

When I was a kid in the mid-80s, I got a lot of toys that were robot model kits somewhere between Lego and Lego Technic on the difficulty / complexity scale, from different brands and lines and such. I remember that one of them had a mini-comic book (like the ones that came with a lot of action figures in those days) that had some of the robots from the toy line. One comic that I had featured the Changeman robot fighting some gigantic green goo monsters that were very kaiju-like. Except there were no sentai, just the robot, and the robot was a character in it's own right like a Transformer; the 'background story' of the toy line was completely different, since the TV show wasn't on in the US. The robot toy/model wasn't the Changeman robot. I'm likely misremembering details, but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
quote =/= edit

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 27, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

POWER/RANGERS wasn't made for profit and is very, very, VERY clearly parody, which is one of the most clear-cut examples of fair use. They don't really have a leg to stand on, and they're picking on a dude with enough money to call them on it (Adi Shankar is kind of a bigshot movie producer), so this could be interesting.
Until it's figured out, Vimeo and Youtube have pulled it. You can still see it on Shankar's facebook page.

Also holy poo poo he's been the executive producer on some legit great films.

edit: Apparently JDF didn't like this version either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm spoiling the twist by posting it here, but a few years ago I made a Grim And Gritty Power Rangers Story of my own called I Remember My Heroes.

I'll cover this bit in spoilers: Basically, I conceptualized a Power Rangers group that didn't have a Zordon running all the background stuff, and over time devolved in a manner similar to how the Imperium in 40k devolved from its progressive/positive origins to a band of soldiers barely keeping their poo poo running in order to keep fighting a fight they knew they couldn't win. While conceptually grimdark, it came from a :smith: place when writing it.)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 28, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Buddy of mine posted this on Facebook, I got a good laugh out of it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, Koda is confirmed, in-show, to have one of the most depressing backstories in the entire franchise.

I mean jesus, everybody he knows is dead, and he lives in fear of almost everything, even in what is ostensibly his own home, because he just can't understand half of it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

So, Koda is confirmed, in-show, to have one of the most depressing backstories in the entire franchise.

I mean jesus, everybody he knows is dead, and he lives in fear of almost everything, even in what is ostensibly his own home, because he just can't understand half of it.

Pretty much! He has a prehistoric case of PTSD.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Morby posted:

Pretty much! He has a prehistoric case of PTSD.

PTSD that's been 10 million years in the making. Languages must be super annoying for him. He's 10,000,000 years old and the English language reached California around 200 years ago.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This season at least seems to be aiming a little higher than Megaforce in the week to week quality of the episodes, it's still not amazing but it's a step up.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Kyoryuger episode was about Souji and his daddy issues. Ian hadn't really joined yet.
Dino Charge turns it into Koda's (sad, sad) origin episode. Explains Black's absence via the MOTW. Wrote in Luckyuro. Well done, Power Rangers.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm rewatching every Power Rangers and just finished A Friend in Need. I forgot how bad Dexs actor was.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Imagine a world where Masked Rider was a good show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raserys posted:

Imagine a world where Masked Rider was a good show.
Very little would have changed. Just another series that would be vaguely remembered from when Power Rangers was big, like Beetleborgs or Tir Na Nog.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get the love of Beetleborgs. I know I'm gonna sound :goonsay: for this, but it was way too "childish". Yeah Power Rangers was a kid's show, but it wasn't like Beetleborgs until Samurai on.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Tir Na Nog was bad though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kortel posted:

Tir Na Nog was bad though.

I knew a guy who was mad as hell that His Culture was appropriated to entertain children. Like, he wrote letters of outrage and considered it a personal victory when that show was cancelled.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Poison Mushroom posted:

Very little would have changed. Just another series that would be vaguely remembered from when Power Rangers was big, like Beetleborgs or Tir Na Nog.

Probably. I just can't help imagining how much I would have loved it as a kid if they did an adaptation of Black to start with, especially if they made it more aimed towards teens and young adults to differentiate from Power Rangers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

At least Dragon Knight was cool.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I like to think that if Masked Rider had been good it might have been successful enough to bring more Riders over.

The potential for Masked Rider W, were our protagonist is basically Batman, is just too appealing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Protagonists. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WickedHate posted:

I don't get the love of Beetleborgs. I know I'm gonna sound :goonsay: for this, but it was way too "childish". Yeah Power Rangers was a kid's show, but it wasn't like Beetleborgs until Samurai on.

Because they were big and cool looking metal suits compared to the spandex of Power Rangers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just learned that Power Rangers Punks had a sentai episode equivalent. Punk Mei vs Punk Kimberly....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Because they were big and cool looking metal suits compared to the spandex of Power Rangers.

I can accept that explination, though I prefer the spandex.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Raserys posted:

Protagonists. :colbert:

You are correct but there can only be one Batman. The other protagonist would be like Robin at best. Or maybe Batgirl. Or Girl-Robin. But not Batman.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Personally, I find that the abuse of the letter W is way more important to the series as a whole.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

W is like Silver Age Flash. Shoutaro is a bumbling dummy who lucks into power and does his level best to help. Only he's even stupider.

Also like Barry Allen, Philip comic books out of a poignant death :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Considering how shared TV Superhero universes have been taking off lately for both Marvel and DC, Saban would be fools not to try to bring Kamen Rider over again and cross it over with Power Rangers, especially now that they've gotten rid of Tzachor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am hilariously irresponsible and just bought all three Legacy Zords. Can't wait for them all to arrive!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cernunnos posted:

I like to think that if Masked Rider had been good it might have been successful enough to bring more Riders over.

The potential for Masked Rider W, were our protagonist is basically Batman, is just too appealing.

Apparently it was successful enough to warrant continuation, there just wasn't anything left to adapt since they stopped making Kamen Rider at that time. You probably were never going to get those shows and, even if you did, they'd be nothing like their Japanese equivalents.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

I am hilariously irresponsible and just bought all three Legacy Zords. Can't wait for them all to arrive!

Megazord, Dragonzord, Titanus, Tigerzord...

Or is Tigerzord not out yet?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Megazord, Dragonzord, Titanus, Tigerzord...

Or is Tigerzord not out yet?

It's out. Still trickling into stores, but TRU's site had it recently and it looks like Amazon will be carrying it as well as Saba, rather than them being TRU exclusives like some of the previous ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Tigerzord is out (saw him and Saba at my local store) but I wasn't counting that one, because without a Thunder Megazord I don't care overly much about the Tigerzord. For some silly reason they decided to advertise the fact that you can combine the Tigerzord with the Triceratops and Sabertooth tiger to form it's 3rd mode instead of releasing a Thunder Megazord.

So yeah, by "all three" Legacy Zords, I of course meant the Season 1 Legacy Ultrazord set.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Apparently it was successful enough to warrant continuation, there just wasn't anything left to adapt since they stopped making Kamen Rider at that time.

I'm led to understand they actually butchered in pieces of other Riders for that show, however, so I have doubts they could have continued Masked Rider at all.

I remember being deeply amused when I discovered VR Troopers was three entirely unrelated shows tack-welded together. It turned out pretty good, to my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Man, Dino Charge keeps getting better, especially Koda, who I like because he's not ME DUMB CAVEMAN NOT UNDERSTAND MODERN WORLD. He's clearly very smart and intuitive, just understandably still developing a modern sensibility, and he's very articulate in a halting, slow to start way. He's developing already given the end of the episode showing him learning how to ride bikes

Also a not terrible child actor for once!