Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, lemme just serialize my graphics operations to a PDF blob and pass that to the display server, said nobody ever

i think someone might consider it if they wanted to build an advanced os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I seriously doubt OS X generates, stores or parses a textural PDF command stream anywhere in Core Graphics (except in actual PDF file output), that would be idiotic.

On the other hand Display PostScript literally sent PostScript source code to the X server.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

I seriously doubt OS X generates, stores or parses a textural PDF command stream anywhere in Core Graphics (except in actual PDF file output), that would be idiotic.

it doesn't, because that would be idiotic.

quote:

On the other hand Display PostScript literally sent PostScript source code to the X server.

I don't know about the X DPS extension or NeWS, but Display PostScript on NEXTSTEP was a tokenized representation. if you wanted to include PostScript code in your app you had to process it before sending on, kind of like shaders these days.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

steve jorbs

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
51 posts, anything good?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
absolutely

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BobHoward posted:

would you get rid of silly wrappers if the linux driver api and abi were stable? no. would you get rid of massive user pain? yup.

AMD needs a lot more than a stable kernel ABI to make their drivers not poo poo.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

51 posts, anything good?

what does your heart tell you

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
30 posts were from NBSD.

I can reminisce about the bad old days too.

I remember when I popped my linux cherry. I was 16 and had saved up mad stacks to build my own PC. Didn't budget for windows, so I bought mandrake linux because it was $20 at wal-mart. Later that day I learned about hardware compatibility by going to comp usa to buy a whitebox ethernet adapter. It wasn't even fast. That evening consisted of applying a kernel patch so the driver for my sound card would load.

I really knew nothing about linux. All I had seen was a picture on a box that was $30 cheaper than the box marked red hat. poo poo was off my computer as soon as a friend's dad took pity on me and gave me an unused win 98 cd from his work.

In college that changed when I got sucked into a cult that resided in a basement and worshiped RMS. We would get together and watch Revolution OS in the morning and at night before reciting the GPL and auditing each other for license violations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The lol was that I thought Linux would ever be used on the desktop by anyone normal.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Guess we all believestupid poo poo when were young.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my first linux was that ubuntu cd with the smiling people on it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The best lol from that was telling my friends that my k6-3 was faster than their pentiums*

*(on certain MS Office benchmarks)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Phoenixan posted:

did u ever wonder why they were smiling?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Phoenixan posted:

mine was i think lindows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my first linux was slackware and then i moved to crux because it wasnt adequately sadistic

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

30 posts were from NBSD.

I can reminisce about the bad old days too.

I remember when I popped my linux cherry. I was 16 and had saved up mad stacks to build my own PC. Didn't budget for windows, so I bought mandrake linux because it was $20 at wal-mart. Later that day I learned about hardware compatibility by going to comp usa to buy a whitebox ethernet adapter. It wasn't even fast. That evening consisted of applying a kernel patch so the driver for my sound card would load.

I really knew nothing about linux. All I had seen was a picture on a box that was $30 cheaper than the box marked red hat. poo poo was off my computer as soon as a friend's dad took pity on me and gave me an unused win 98 cd from his work.

In college that changed when I got sucked into a cult that resided in a basement and worshiped RMS. We would get together and watch Revolution OS in the morning and at night before reciting the GPL and auditing each other for license violations.

lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i have literally never ever paid for windows, nor do i know anyone who has
why would anyone do such a thing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Maximum Leader posted:

lol if you bothered with getting an oem refund for your laptops.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have purchased osx many times, and i would gladly do it again too. if it wasnt truly free, like freedom

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

I bought windows 7 home at best buy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i bought 2 copies of win7 on newegg what seems like ages ago now

i later on sold one to a coworker who wanted to bootcamp their mac

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Smythe posted:

I bought windows 7 home at best buy

if anyone ask u : deny, deny, deny, deny. there is no proof, ur safe pal

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
best buy? more like WORST BUY

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
best buy: amazon.com's IRL showroom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The lol was that I thought Linux would ever be used on the desktop by anyone normal.

i never thought this

my goal for linux on the desktop is that it remains usable for, and used by, people who work with linux in other contexts

it is horrible to walk into a room at a linux conference and see a field of osx and evernote windows

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is horrible to walk into a room at a linux conference

also: SLS was a great distribution, along with whoever's boot/root

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

also: SLS was a great distribution, along with whoever's boot/root

tom's root/boot owned

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is horrible to walk into a room at a linux conference and see a field of osx and evernote windows

so fix wifi and power management already

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Phoenixan posted:

my first linux was a beautiful disaster cobbled together by crazy australians for mid-1990s powermacs. not mklinux tho, it was the early mainline kernel port. it was everything you might imagine it was, and worse.

i was young and stupid and actually thought it was great fun getting it working, but in retrospect it clearly planted the seeds of bitter linux cynicism which flowered in older-me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

somebody needs to re-read The X-Windows Disaster

not related but found this on the same site:

http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/nevrstep/blow-jobs.html

quote:

Blow Jobs

Sorry, but an obsolete version of Unix isn't going to save Apple.

ahahahahahahahahah oh god i'm dying

e: in before "it didn't, steve jobs did"

yeah, but it's still funny okay

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
my first Linux was Gentoo and it owned

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ahmeni posted:

my first Linux was Gentoo and it owned

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

carry on then posted:

not related but found this on the same site:

http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/nevrstep/blow-jobs.html

ahahahahahahahahah oh god i'm dying

e: in before "it didn't, steve jobs did"

yeah, but it's still funny okay

the ipod saved apple

the verdict is probably still out on os x

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
remember the miserable failure that was osx server? osx may be a good desktop but it is objectively a bad unix; the market has spoken.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

are u one of the lunix developer ppl

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

:words: mandrake linux :words:

:smith: :respek: :smith:

My first linux also. I enjoyed the amazing polished desktop experience where you needed a sudo command to eject the cd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

I had a ubuntu cd with naked people on it. They sent me a whole box of them. I could never get sound to work because it's linux.

edit: lmao, the full set (nws for butt) http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Warty_visual_theme/Image_archive

akadajet fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 2, 2015