Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Tom Lynch must be getting close to the "doctor orders you to retire" concussion limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Volkerball posted:

then clark drops a huge mark inside 50

I'm not going to miss worrying about Clark's neck when he drops himself on his head going for a mark four times a game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just watching the Adelaide highlights - Betts got the ball over the back, kicked at goal under pressure, and it went straight through the middle as he slid into the goal post.

Except it hit the goal umpire just over the line and bounced back onto the field, and what I can only assume was an apprentice metro primary schools umpire called that it wasn't a goal, and was instead play on with the Kangaroos rebounding.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Nakia Cockatoo looks like he's going to be a player. Darcy Lang as well.

Mitch Clark will be a supercoach must have, as dirty as selecting him will feel.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good article on the state of AFL finances.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/unprofitable-clubs-get-millions-in-aid-from-afl-20150301-13rqwm.html

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
:siren::siren::siren:FOOD PRICES WILL BE SLIGHTLY LESS EXTORTIONATE AT THE MCG THIS YEAR:siren::siren::siren:

Sports fans will be able to purchase popular food and beverage items at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) at prices not seen for a decade or more, following a new agreement that will set the MCG apart from every other Australian stadium.

Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC), together with its hospitality partner EPICURE, today announced a $14 million investment over the next seven years that will deliver fans an affordable, family-friendly food and beverage offering at all MCG events.

This means that prices of some products have dropped so considerably that they are consistent with what fans experienced at the stadium more than decade ago.

Prices will fall by as much as 40 per cent on a range of staple items such as Four ‘N Twenty meat pies, hot chips and Dons hot dogs.

Healthy food alternatives, such as salads and sushi, will also be reduced in price.

Perhaps the biggest win for fans is that they will now be able to purchase bottled water at $3, compared to last year’s price of $5. This new price is consistent with what patrons paid for water back in 2001.

The new prices apply from April 1, starting with the AFL match between Richmond and Carlton the following evening.

“This is an unrivalled initiative in the venue industry,” said MCC CEO Stephen Gough.

“In fact, we are reasonably confident that no major venue or sporting event in the world, other than perhaps Augusta National Golf Course, has or can match what we are offering today.”

While MCC has spent the last decade investing in its facilities (grandstand redevelopments), the environment (Yarra Park restoration and energy efficiency program) and technology (two state-of-the art scoreboards and soon-to-be-installed WiFi, exterior lighting and IPTV screens), Mr Gough said it was appropriate to focus the next investment on affordability for fans.

An MCG kids’ meal deal will also be available, providing families with an affordable and fun alternative for feeding their children at the stadium.
“We have listened to the fans, we understand their affordability concerns and we are very confident that this initiative will be extremely well received,” said Mr Gough.

“This will take the MCG hospitality offering to a new level.”

The renewed partnership has been driven by patron research and dialogue with key suppliers and stakeholders.

“We’re thrilled to work with the MCC to deliver food and beverage items at prices well below that of all other major stadiums in Australia,” said Ian Delmenico, Spotless general manager leisure, sport and entertainment.

“The items selected reflect diversity and choice. They are not only the most popular products, but also provide options for health-conscious fans.”

While the new prices will apply from the start of the 2015 AFL season, they will be maintained for other MCG events in 2015 and beyond, including international and domestic cricket, State of Origin rugby league and soccer.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 2, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Give it a year and they'll start ramping them up again.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Gough Suppressant posted:

“In fact, we are reasonably confident that no major venue or sporting event in the world, other than perhaps Augusta National Golf Course, has or can match what we are offering today.”

Wait, so the Four N Twenty Meat Pies are cheaper at Augusta? Do they only serve Carlton Draught at Augusta too?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

gay picnic defence posted:

Give it a year and they'll start ramping them up again.

Apparently it's locked in for the next 7 years? (According to Tigers twitter feed)

E: Worth noting no reduction in beer prices but a drinks carry tray will be free.

E2: checked the presser, locked in for 7 years, other retailers inside the stadium (crust, red rooster) are exempt.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 2, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'm sure many people will pay 10$ for a red rooter servo roll when there's a hotdog next door for 5$

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That's... a little more reasonable. They're still making a profit out of that, it's just not the total gouge it's become. That combined with BYOF at Colonial isn't a bad move though.

Who the heck eats sushi at the footy though?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Deadly Hume posted:

You would honestly be surprised. Japanese food is a lot more in vogue now so you might as well profit on it by having sushi as an option. I mean, I got a curry at the Bulldogs vs Williamstown final at WO last year.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
unless the sushi is the meat in a four n twenty pie sandwich you're not doing footy correctly

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
who eats sushi at the footy?

e:f,b

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 2, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Testekill posted:

You would honestly be surprised. Japanese food is a lot more in vogue now so you might as well profit on it by having sushi as an option. I mean, I got a curry at the Bulldogs vs Williamstown final at WO last year.

There's two sushi places here in the middle of nowhere, so it's conceivable you'll see someone chowing down on it at Traeger Park this year.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's... a little more reasonable. They're still making a profit out of that, it's just not the total gouge it's become. That combined with BYOF at Colonial isn't a bad move though.

Apparently the MCC are sinking $12mil into this? I guess they'll get the money back somehow.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Am I the only one that viewed food prices as a non issue? I feel this comes from the Kevin Rudd school of easy populist decisions

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

You're probably the sort of person that never buys food at the ground though, for the kinds of people that do (such as people with little kids), it adds up fast. It was certainly a heavily complained about problem last year.

But look, they're trying to improve all the non football parts of going to the footy. It's a good move and I can't fault em. They've unfucked the fixture, let kids back on the ground, cut food prices, and are probably going to buy out the schmucks that run Etihad soon. A good start to the year IMO.

What do people think about a return to wet and dry stands? Isolate the kids with families, let everyone else let their hair down a little more? Or were wet and dry horrible old policies that didn't work?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, I've got a young niece and nephew, and taking them to the footy is expensive because part of the reason kids want to go to the footy is so they can get hotdogs and chips and coke as a treat. Say you're a family of five on a single income, that becomes a pretty big cost to you.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

You're probably the sort of person that never buys food at the ground though, for the kinds of people that do (such as people with little kids), it adds up fast. It was certainly a heavily complained about problem last year.

But look, they're trying to improve all the non football parts of going to the footy. It's a good move and I can't fault em. They've unfucked the fixture, let kids back on the ground, cut food prices, and are probably going to buy out the schmucks that run Etihad soon. A good start to the year IMO.

What do people think about a return to wet and dry stands? Isolate the kids with families, let everyone else let their hair down a little more? Or were wet and dry horrible old policies that didn't work?

My only experience of dry stands is that I'm an MCC member so people can only drink at the bars not at their seats. It's obviously not going to be the only factor, but I think it's a big one in terms of making footy a far more enjoyable experience. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my niece/nephew to the general admission stand because people get drunk, swear, start fights , generally act like fuckwits. But taking them to the MCC I feel pretty happy. Obviously a dry general admission stand wouldn't be exactly the same, but I think it actually might be better than the members because people are self-selecting to not be around fuckwits.

One of the few problems I can see with it though is if people are in the wet stands they see that as a license to do whatever the gently caress they want and behaviour gets worse as a result.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah with kids it's expensive, plenty of times I'll just get a coke and chips and the guy in front of me with 2 kids will end up getting told his food is $50+

But then again, I'm not a big fan of taking kids to the footy anyways so maybe they should be more expensive as a deterrent :v:

Shame crust isn't going down, but it really only is fake-crust, not as good as the actual store-bought crust.

I feel like the MCG is forcing our hand with food/drink talk a lot earlier this season.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I though family sections were dry anyway?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

Yeah with kids it's expensive, plenty of times I'll just get a coke and chips and the guy in front of me with 2 kids will end up getting told his food is $50+

But then again, I'm not a big fan of taking kids to the footy anyways so maybe they should be more expensive as a deterrent :v:

Shame crust isn't going down, but it really only is fake-crust, not as good as the actual store-bought crust.

I feel like the MCG is forcing our hand with food/drink talk a lot earlier this season.

Until they start serving my favourite bespoke saffron infused ginger sake I'm afraid all of this is a bit irrelevant to me :monocle:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Local SANFL games have wet and dry sections (at the Parade, at least) which just leads to the wet area being chockers while the dry area has plenty of room for kids to kick the footy.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Local SANFL games have wet and dry sections (at the Parade, at least) which just leads to the wet area being chockers while the dry area has plenty of room for kids to kick the footy.

Sounds like the dry section needs to be smaller is all

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hiddenmovement posted:

Until they start serving my favourite bespoke saffron infused ginger sake I'm afraid all of this is a bit irrelevant to me :monocle:

SABMiller have the beer contract for another 9 nine years, so nah, that won't happen.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Peter Larkins just posted this on twitter (didn't know I followed him!)

40% AFL ACL tears occur preseason-Another 35% by mid season-only 25% occur after R11

Players going too hard too soon? Soggy, winter grounds are better for knees?
Pretty intriguing.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Those percentages are interesting, how many ACLs are we talking as the sample size though?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
1 month (minus 10 minutes) till start of footy

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Under 72 hours till I watch the horror show through my fingers

Edit:dont even know what day of the week today is

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 2, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Edit:dont even know what day of the week today is

Today is Range Rover day. Weekend is when the Porsche comes out isnt it?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Those ACL stats make sense though, you're less likely to do a knee when you're in prime condition and all your muscles/tendons/ligaments are adapted to the strain. That's why they tell players not to go 100% unless they have to in the preseason, yet it still leads to innocuous injuries.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Player safety comes first ban the preseason

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Speaking of, Callum Sinclair out for a month.

FML

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
52 round season for the sake of player safety imo

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Volkerball posted:

52 round season for the sake of player safety imo

I'm not sure I can cope with 48 losses a year

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure I can cope with 48 losses a year

you'd still lose your 16 points toxx

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Diet Crack posted:

Those ACL stats make sense though, you're less likely to do a knee when you're in prime condition and all your muscles/tendons/ligaments are adapted to the strain. That's why they tell players not to go 100% unless they have to in the preseason, yet it still leads to innocuous injuries.

That's why you see young players, and those with something to prove do their injuries in pre-season. Co-incidentally these are the injuries that break your heart.

The old guys, and those assured of a spot in the team when the real season starts treat teh pre-season as it should be treated, glorified practice matches that can and should be avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's why you see young players, and those with something to prove do their injuries in pre-season. Co-incidentally these are the injuries that break your heart.

The old guys, and those assured of a spot in the team when the real season starts treat teh pre-season as it should be treated, glorified practice matches that can and should be avoided.

No kidding. Jack Billings has pulled his hamstring and will be out for 4 weeks. Nothing like an ACL of course but just another annoying injury to stuff the young kids around.

• Locked thread