Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

dzarc posted:

Is astraweb down for anyone else?

Yeah, I had a download halt halfway through and have been unable to connect since :( Website not loading for me either.

Edit: (Not on Comcast)

este fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

dzarc posted:

Both the website and their usenet servers are working just fine for me.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Maybe it's Comcast.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Headphones MB mirror and indexer going yearly paid:

Not worth it for me, considering how unreliable Headphones is and how little real dev it's gotten in years. I can't help but feel this is another cash grab like so many indexers, programs, etc that beg for money and then fold up shop.

quote:

Hey there -

I’m just writing to inform you that starting March 1st, the Headphones VIP Server will be switching to an annual membership.

I really hate to do this, but based on the way it’s currently set up, it just isn’t possible to provide the type of service that I want to provide. Any time the server starts to index any reasonable amount of content, everything slows to a crawl and becomes unusable.

When the server was first set up a few years ago, it was done to simply provide a solution to what I thought would be a temporary problem. But now that we’ve added the indexer, it has the potential to be a great service - but one that simply cannot be maintained with one-off payments (as it requires multiple servers, load balancers, constant maintenance, etc.).

But don’t worry - if you signed up within the past year your account will still be valid until your one year anniversary. However, if you signed up more than a year ago, you’ll have to switch over to the new system in order to keep your account active. (Also, if you paid more than $10, you’ll have that amount credited towards your account).

The price will be $9.99/year (hopefully cheap enough so it won’t cause too much trouble!). You can cancel at any time, and as before, I’m going to offer a no-questions-asked refund policy.

To update your account simply click the link below:

http://headphones.codeshy.com/vip/convertaccount.php?username=

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and I really hate to do this, but I don’t really see any other way of turning the service into something great. I am fully aware that the indexer has been quite crap for the past few months, mainly for the technical reasons I’ve stated above. And I’d rather phase it out than offer something substandard, so this seems like the best compromise - build a great service using a more sustainable model.

I’ve tried to make it work, but it just has not been possible, so I really hope you understand and that this doesn’t cause too much of an inconvenience.

If you have any questions you can always email me back at this address, otherwise, you can click below to update your membership:

http://headphones.codeshy.com/vip/convertaccount.php?username=

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you understand.

Cheers!

rembo10

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 2, 2015

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

yeah sorry headphones guy, but the thing's a pile of poo poo that never really worked well in the first place.

Maybe have a non-lovely thing and then charge for it? I'd say if people are destroying your indexer, work on your search algorithm instead.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Headphones, both the indexer and the program, has always been pretty terrible and unreliable for me. I don't bother with Usenet for music any more.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008
I got sick of trying to get headphones to work (one day it grabs a few albums, 3 months later it grabs one more, etc), so a little while ago I just shut the whole operation down. Making it a subscription just gives me another reason to stick with songza/spotify.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Headphones, both the indexer and the program, has always been pretty terrible and unreliable for me. I don't bother with Usenet for music any more.

Exactly. I think certain things work better on Usenet while others work better on private torrent sites running software like Gazelle. Music absolutely falls into the latter.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly. I think certain things work better on Usenet while others work better on private torrent sites running software like Gazelle. Music absolutely falls into the latter.

Comics, too, for my (lack of) money. And ebooks.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Toss my hat in for the Astraweb is down crew. Also running Comcast. Has anyone tried their EU servers?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Toss my hat in for the Astraweb is down crew. Also running Comcast. Has anyone tried their EU servers?

I'm on Comcast and had to switch over to their EU servers to get it working.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I'm on Comcast and had to switch over to their EU servers to get it working.

That worked for me, thanks for the tip.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

dzarc posted:

Been horendously slow for me all day...

Edit 1 day later: seems fine now

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 3, 2015

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Astraweb is being a pain for me too, and I'm not on Comcast. I'm getting connection refused to ssl-eu, ssl-us, and ssl subdomains.

edit: Looking at it again, either Astraweb turned off port 8081 or my client somehow got the bright idea that it should start connecting to port 8081 out of nowhere. Either way, switching to 443 fixed things up.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 4, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has development on Sickbeard ceased? I notice the last git commit was over a month ago and on their forums there is a sticky from someone I'd presume to be a top developer saying they're leaving the project.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

YouTuber posted:

Has development on Sickbeard ceased? I notice the last git commit was over a month ago and on their forums there is a sticky from someone I'd presume to be a top developer saying they're leaving the project.

That and most everyone has migrated to Sonarr (Formally NZBDrone).

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That and most everyone has migrated to Sonarr (Formally NZBDrone).

Well, on this post I went and checked out Sonarr and it's loving excellent. I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi and it was sluggish as poo poo to load the webpage. Sonarr is loving silk smooth. I'm wondering if sticking with Sabnzbd is also warranted.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I also made the jump to Sonarr and it has been amazing. At the same time (about 3? months ago) I installed NZBGet and haven't had a reason to go back to Sabnzbd. I'm not a crazy advanced user or anything but it does every task I give it faster than Sabnzbd, especially just plain old unpacking, plus the interface is better. Everything is running on a decently powerful machine because I have it performing other tasks so I can't really speak to how less powerful hardware would effect it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

OK so I guess I will try out Sonarr and NZBget, though Ive not really ever had issues with sickbeard and SABNZBD.

Is there a way to migrate my database and settings from the latter two apps into the former?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm about to try out NZBget over the SABnzbd server I've had for years, but has anyone used Sonarr on linux? Requiring mono would introduce an extra point of failure for me, where at least sickbeard is purely the python I already have installed for a dozen other things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

gabensraum posted:

I'm about to try out NZBget over the SABnzbd server I've had for years, but has anyone used Sonarr on linux? Requiring mono would introduce an extra point of failure for me, where at least sickbeard is purely the python I already have installed for a dozen other things.

I use Sonarr on my Ubuntu server. Works fine.

I also switched to NZBGet. It's OK. To be honest, I don't really see the point of switching from SABNzbd, they're about the same. I won't bother switching back.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

gabensraum posted:

I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi B under Arch Linux and it's pretty good. Sickbeard was sluggish when rendering the web GUI. Sonarr is much faster at doing this and it also appears to tackle failed downloads.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Good info, thanks.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
SickRage and sabnzbd working good enough for me on FreeNAS.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Laserface posted:

OK so I guess I will try out Sonarr and NZBget, though Ive not really ever had issues with sickbeard and SABNZBD.

Is there a way to migrate my database and settings from the latter two apps into the former?

I'm still using SABnzbd so can't help you there, but with Sonarr, I just pointed it to same folder SickBeard used and seemed to pick up everything. Just have to link up the info which wasn't too difficult. You'll also might want to tweak the settings for renaming if you want to keep everything in the same format when it renames things.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks. Yeah I'm setting up sonar now and it's very nice (sickbeard still has no .app for OS X) but I don't want the year showing in the title of the shows/seasons at all. Can that be done? I can't see a switch for it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Laserface posted:

Thanks. Yeah I'm setting up sonar now and it's very nice (sickbeard still has no .app for OS X) but I don't want the year showing in the title of the shows/seasons at all. Can that be done? I can't see a switch for it.

I believe that's for when you have more than one show of the same title (they exist!). New shows I've added since migrating over didn't add the year from what I've seen in my folders.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

To be honest, I don't really see the point of switching from SABNzbd, they're about the same.
Being able to prioritize servers was what got me to switch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I believe that's for when you have more than one show of the same title (they exist!). New shows I've added since migrating over didn't add the year from what I've seen in my folders.

OK, so sometimes with Sickbeard I download a show elsewhere (torrents) as a bulk lot (whole series, just a single season) and then manually post process that folder in my downloads folder so that it then gets renamed/sorted into the show folder.

is there a way to do that with Sonarr?

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Laserface posted:

OK, so sometimes with Sickbeard I download a show elsewhere (torrents) as a bulk lot (whole series, just a single season) and then manually post process that folder in my downloads folder so that it then gets renamed/sorted into the show folder.

is there a way to do that with Sonarr?

Although I have yet to find documentation for it's real purpose, I think that's what the Drone Factory is for. At least that's how I've been using it!

You can set the folder and scan interval with Download Client > Advanced Settings > Drone Factory. I set it to only scan once a week, with the idea that I don't use it all that often and when I do I can just force scan on the the system > tasks page (Downloaded Episodes Scan).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CrispKing posted:

Although I have yet to find documentation for it's real purpose, I think that's what the Drone Factory is for. At least that's how I've been using it!

You can set the folder and scan interval with Download Client > Advanced Settings > Drone Factory. I set it to only scan once a week, with the idea that I don't use it all that often and when I do I can just force scan on the the system > tasks page (Downloaded Episodes Scan).

Currently this is the only way its post processing anything, though I dont have presets/filtering setup in SABNZBD at all.

its also downloading xml and nfo files and I hate that poo poo so its off to a terrible start.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Laserface posted:

I dont have presets/filtering setup in SABNZBD at all.

Why not?

Oh, and you should be able to turn off nfo/metadata creation under the Metadata tab.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I use Sonarr on my Ubuntu server. Works fine.

I also switched to NZBGet. It's OK. To be honest, I don't really see the point of switching from SABNzbd, they're about the same. I won't bother switching back.

NZBGet uses less resources, its compiled. It made a difference on my limited RAM/CPU server, especially when paired with Sonarr running under Mono. If you have super-high Internet speed NZBGet can max out connections better than SABNzbd too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
So, to move to Sonarr I just need to tell it where my TV directory is and it will discover everything?

Also, I like the way Sickbeard notifies Plex to process a download, does Sonarr do this? What is Drone Factory, a part of Sonarr? SBs fiasco with DST and nzb.su has me looking at Sonarr.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

porktree posted:

So, to move to Sonarr I just need to tell it where my TV directory is and it will discover everything?

Also, I like the way Sickbeard notifies Plex to process a download, does Sonarr do this? What is Drone Factory, a part of Sonarr? SBs fiasco with DST and nzb.su has me looking at Sonarr.

Yup, you'll point it at the TV directory, then go through and make sure it found all the right shows.

Sonarr will do the same notifications - just make sure to set it up under the Settings > Connect tab. I have my PMS connected and set to update, and PHT notifications work if you pretend it's an XBMC installation.

Drone Factory (I think) is just the name they use for a scanned post processing folder where files that Sonarr didn't snatch get processed. I think if you download other episodes into the sonarr download folder then it doesn't know what to do with them. If anyone knows where I can find some documentation on this so I can get verification, let me know.

edit: Although that's how I'm using it...maybe I'm doing it all the hard way?

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/FAQ posted:

Does Sonarr require a SABnzbd post-processing script to import downloaded episodes?

No. As long as you set the Drone Factory path Settings > Download Client > Drone Factory to the folder where sab downloads your TV Shows everything will be imported automatically.

CrispKing fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 9, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Decairn posted:

NZBGet uses less resources, its compiled. It made a difference on my limited RAM/CPU server, especially when paired with Sonarr running under Mono. If you have super-high Internet speed NZBGet can max out connections better than SABNzbd too.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I really meant was that each has advantages over the other so there wasn't a clear, general this-one-is-the-best winner.

FWIW, NZBGet being faster at downloading is also a function of the speed of your hardware. On my i5-750 server the two clients max out my 100 mbit connection.

On a note that this reminds me of...I realize everyone uses Usenet differently, but to be honest I don't really care much about speed as long as it's above a threshold like maybe a MB or two. My downloads are all automated, so stuff just shoes up in my HTPC libraries and then I watch it. I've only got 100mbit because Charter keeps upgrading our speed for free. The bastards.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

other than being faster (a non-issue for me since it's on a nas4free server sitting in the corner that only does usenet and holds my raid, basically) what's the advantages of Sonarr over Sickbeard?

It looks like to even give it a shot I have to upgrade my nas to get off FreeBSD 9.1 and get to 9.2 or beyond, so I'm not super thrilled about fixing what isn't broken unless there's a killer feature for doing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you've got an integrated Sab setup that you're happy with, it's probably not worth moving over to Get. If you're starting clean, or you're having problems with Sab then Get is more worthwhile. It's a better client (IMO) but it's not massively better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Telex posted:

other than being faster (a non-issue for me since it's on a nas4free server sitting in the corner that only does usenet and holds my raid, basically) what's the advantages of Sonarr over Sickbeard?

It looks like to even give it a shot I have to upgrade my nas to get off FreeBSD 9.1 and get to 9.2 or beyond, so I'm not super thrilled about fixing what isn't broken unless there's a killer feature for doing it.

Sickbeard doesn't seem to have much activity anymore while Sonarr is getting regular updates. Also Sonarr has a mobile interface which I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh Sonarr comes so close on the 'mobile interface' but it just seems like it's trying to be responsive and isn't wonderful at it. Messes up a lot, hard to navigate the show because it uses iFrame style things, needs multiple taps to get something to respond. It's not awful, it just could be so much better.