Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, the 3DS emulator Citra is going through seemingly daily milestones. The latest of which is an experimental, barebones OpenGL renderer that can run Ocarina of Time 3D at a playable framerate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8sPsB5qXQ

How long does it usually take for crazy bastards like these to get emulators up and running? I mean I remember when Nesticle came out and it was insane back in the hayday but it seems like its really really early to have something like this at least somewhat running for a current handheld 4 years old as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Haruharuharuko posted:

How long does it usually take for crazy bastards like these to get emulators up and running? I mean I remember when Nesticle came out and it was insane back in the hayday but it seems like its really really early to have something like this at least somewhat running for a current handheld 4 years old as it is.

The process gets faster and faster, especially for people on Citra that have done emulators before. The issue has always been trying to dumb down the process so as many people can run it. If the average person had the best i7, 980 Nvidia card we might have seen a PS3 emulator by now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
As hardware gets more and more modern, we find that there's less tricky timing issues and weird system architectures. Most of the reverse engineering is spent at a high level figuring out how graphics are drawn. Given that on these systems plenty of debugging info and log messages are left in a lot of games and libraries, and since the 3DS uses dynamic linking, this can actually go quite fast: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/GPU_Commands

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Stuff like that is always fascinating to me just the idea of tearing something apart essentially at a code and firmware level just to see how they tick and how they can be reproduced. Thanks for the info.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What backgrounds are usually required for the totality of completing an emulator? Like I see things like interpreters for translating CPU code to x86/x64, graphic interpreters. But wouldn't it be easier as we get closer to current gen consoles be better suited for making emulator for them? Considering that the ps4 and xb1 both use an x86 processor with a dx11 GPU.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SlayVus posted:

What backgrounds are usually required for the totality of completing an emulator? Like I see things like interpreters for translating CPU code to x86/x64, graphic interpreters. But wouldn't it be easier as we get closer to current gen consoles be better suited for making emulator for them? Considering that the ps4 and xb1 both use an x86 processor with a dx11 GPU.
Emulating an x86 processor, let alone an x64, is no small feat even before you factor in the weird hacks and tricks that games do to take advantage of a static, unchanging system spec. Look at the original Xbox and it's lack of successful emulation as a key example.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also, an emulator for PS3/PS4/360/Xbone might be kind of redundant since 90% of the games on those systems already have PC versions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
demon's souls on PC tho

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

demon's souls on PC tho

Surprised that no one has made a mod of Dark Souls on PC seeing that they successfully ripped all the textures, sound, and other data off the ps3 disc at this point.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Surprised that no one has made a mod of Dark Souls on PC seeing that they successfully ripped all the textures, sound, and other data off the ps3 disc at this point.

While I'm not an expert on the subject, I can't imagine it being anywhere close to being that simple.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

Emulating an x86 processor, let alone an x64, is no small feat even before you factor in the weird hacks and tricks that games do to take advantage of a static, unchanging system spec. Look at the original Xbox and it's lack of successful emulation as a key example.

Emulating x86 is dumb as gently caress, you need an interpreter like Nintendont on the Wii.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

The CPU JIT is rarely the difficult part. To start with, you usually start with a very slow interpreter, or just steal one from another project. PSP / Vita / DS / 3DS all use a stock ARM processor, and ARM's ISA really hasn't changed that much over the years, so that's already something you can get out of the gate.

The difficult part is figuring out how the system hooks together. Usually, you just pick a very simple game and try to get it running as far as it can without crashing, since that's the first step to get something on the screen. When the 3DS first came out, one of the free eShop games was really bad and we found how to hack their savefile to run code on it, which should basically never be possible, so we started to poke around the system with that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, the 3DS emulator Citra is going through seemingly daily milestones. The latest of which is an experimental, barebones OpenGL renderer that can run Ocarina of Time 3D at a playable framerate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8sPsB5qXQ

Perhaps this is a silly question, but other than to say that you can, what reason would have for playing Ocarina of Time 3D on a 3DS emulator vs emulating the N64 version?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3DS version introduced several improvements, such as smoother inventory management and a redesigned water temple. It is now the definitive version of oot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

N64 emulation is loving garbage, that's why.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dunno, I've played Star Fox 64 on an N64 emulator. I've played hi-res versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well. I've played Goldeneye on it. What else do I need it to do?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I dunno, I've played Star Fox 64 on an N64 emulator. I've played hi-res versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well. I've played Goldeneye on it. What else do I need it to do?

Pokemon FUCKIGN SNAP

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
drat it you're right.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also I thought I remembered it being poo poo for Kirby 64 last time I looked. If you don't respect K64, you're no friend of mine.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Don't forget to sometimes copy your memory card data, or you'll be unlucky like and have it corrupted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChaosArgate posted:

Also, an emulator for PS3/PS4/360/Xbone might be kind of redundant since 90% of the games on those systems already have PC versions.

90% USA games, maybe. There's entire franchises that aren't on PC to this day from mostly Japan that I would like to play, like the Xbox exclusive JPRGs.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's actually a hell of a lot of original XBOX games that were exclusives to the platform (not even getting PC releases) or were the best versions out of all 3 consoles. It really deserves to be emulated at some point.

Metal Wolf Chaos is a Japanese exclusive XBOX game that basically noone can play because of its obscurity and the game is incredible. You're the american president who pilots a mech and takes down terrorists, gently caress yeah.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

SwissCM posted:

There's actually a hell of a lot of original XBOX games that were exclusives to the platform (not even getting PC releases) or were the best versions out of all 3 consoles. It really deserves to be emulated at some point.

Not just that, but the Naomi 2 arcade system which used Xbox hardware. I just want to play Ollie King.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
so I'm trying to sync my wii remote to my PC since I wanna use a proper wii remote for some games instead of my PS4 controller, and I'm wondering, how the hell do you sync this thing? I'm trying to add device through windows 7's bluetooth settings and if it sees the wii remote at all, it just idles on "connecting to device" and does nothing, and if I do successfully sync it it still doesn't turn on and connect to my PC, I don't get it, is there something I'm missing?

edit: got it to work! turns out the default driver stack is useless, you gotta install a toshiba one

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/wii-remote-plus-rvl-cnt-01-tr-connection-guide/#Installing_the_Toshiba_Bluetooth_Stack

cat doter fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 16, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cat doter posted:

so I'm trying to sync my wii remote to my PC since I wanna use a proper wii remote for some games instead of my PS4 controller, and I'm wondering, how the hell do you sync this thing? I'm trying to add device through windows 7's bluetooth settings and if it sees the wii remote at all, it just idles on "connecting to device" and does nothing, and if I do successfully sync it it still doesn't turn on and connect to my PC, I don't get it, is there something I'm missing?

edit: got it to work! turns out the default driver stack is useless, you gotta install a toshiba one

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/wii-remote-plus-rvl-cnt-01-tr-connection-guide/#Installing_the_Toshiba_Bluetooth_Stack

I had the same problem, and came to the same solution. Worked, until the license expired. Any other ways to get WiiMotes working without a Toshiba Stack?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ish?

Trigger Warning: Mayflash

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Any other ways to get WiiMotes working without a Toshiba Stack?
Yeah... get one that isn't a Wii Motion Plus. Course, that's easier said than done nowadays, and in my experience it can still be very fiddly with detection and dropping input (of course, I have a cheap Chinese BT dongle... granted, it works fine with my Dual Shock 4, but...) so the Toshiba Stack or the Dolphinbar that Sir Unimaginative linked may be your best bet.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I had the same problem, and came to the same solution. Worked, until the license expired. Any other ways to get WiiMotes working without a Toshiba Stack?

yeah I noticed the 30 day trial period, which makes no sense it's a loving bluetooth driver

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

cat doter posted:

yeah I noticed the 30 day trial period, which makes no sense it's a loving bluetooth driver

There's a way to disable the 30-day limit thing by loving about in your registry but I'd recommend you google how to do that.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I bought the dolphin bar recently and it's awesome and easy to use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whether the official MS stack will work for you is effectively chance. Basically, the PIN on Wiimotes is their serial number backwards, and sometimes that serial number includes a NUL byte. If it doesmanufactured, then it's very likely they are), then the MS bluetooth stack assumes that a NUL byte in the PIN means that the PIN stopped early, and you're toast. Toshiba's allows you to explicitly specify how long the PIN is.

chensterrain
Feb 22, 2013
Seconding the dolphin bar being pretty sweet - I actually did manage to get my wii remote connected to the default Windows Bluetooth stack, but I had to manually sync it each time and it was kind of a hassle. With the dolphin bar, I've disconnected it / restarted my pc several times and the wiimotes still connect like they would to a real wii.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

chensterrain posted:

Seconding the dolphin bar being pretty sweet - I actually did manage to get my wii remote connected to the default Windows Bluetooth stack, but I had to manually sync it each time and it was kind of a hassle. With the dolphin bar, I've disconnected it / restarted my pc several times and the wiimotes still connect like they would to a real wii.

I had that same problem. I just gave up trying to use my wii remote to work on my computer because that was a hassle. I'd probably just go dolphin bar if I was going to try again.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

Yeah... get one that isn't a Wii Motion Plus.

I don't have a motion plus, it's a standard WiiMote, came packed with my Wii back in '09. Windows doesn't pick it up at all and even with the Toshiba Stack it's kinda jerky and prone to hiccups/freezing.

I'll probably pickup a Dolphinbar instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just headed to the citra site and noticed more retail games in their screenshot roll, seems like a lot more stuff is making it in-game (nothing is playable yet). It's progressing ridiculously fast and it may be a matter of months before stuff is fully playable. It reminds me of how quickly PPSSPP progressed in 2013.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just headed to the citra site and noticed more retail games in their screenshot roll, seems like a lot more stuff is making it in-game (nothing is playable yet). It's progressing ridiculously fast and it may be a matter of months before stuff is fully playable. It reminds me of how quickly PPSSPP progressed in 2013.
No kidding. it's crazy how i only updated like 2 weeks ago and there already been like 100 commits since then. You reminded me to update lol

site fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 17, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Citra is cool and I keep meaning to contribute to it. The 3DS architecture is so wacky and done right compared to the Wii.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

since I was finally able to get my wii remote synced yesterday I played a bit of skyward sword, and it's interesting how with the added resolution you can actually see that not only does the effect on distant object turn things into like painterly splotches, it also has a kind of paint brush effect, I've never been able to see that when I played it just on the wii

too bad the motion controls are rear end, I like how it controls in theory, but where I swing upward and to the right and it does a downward slash I wanna throw my wii remote through my TV

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cat doter posted:

too bad the motion controls are rear end, I like how it controls in theory, but where I swing upward and to the right and it does a downward slash I wanna throw my wii remote through my TV

You already played on a Wii, right, so does this mean the controls are sketchy in Dolphin? I ask because I never had troubles with the controls, and it was a big obnoxious argument when the game came out; some people could just never seem to "get" the controls while others had no issues. The only people who ever seemed to resolve the problem were those with obvious wireless interference issues. If it's just Dolphin, bummer. I'm hoping to eventually get all of these wire peripherals hooked up to the PC and replaying Skyward Sword, it would be frustrating if going to the trouble ends up being mostly a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

You already played on a Wii, right, so does this mean the controls are sketchy in Dolphin? I ask because I never had troubles with the controls, and it was a big obnoxious argument when the game came out; some people could just never seem to "get" the controls while others had no issues. The only people who ever seemed to resolve the problem were those with obvious wireless interference issues. If it's just Dolphin, bummer. I'm hoping to eventually get all of these wire peripherals hooked up to the PC and replaying Skyward Sword, it would be frustrating if going to the trouble ends up being mostly a waste of time.

There is a thread in let's play specifically of Skyward Sword. Search for it by the 'Link' thread icon. I haven't noticed any kind of problems during the guy's LP though.

• Locked thread