Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
If the goons can't do it, no one can! Its a 1985 Mercedes Benz SEL 500. Here is a picture:

After I got off the phone, he said it was his dads old car who died :spooky: and they parked it because it needed brake work 3 years ago. I offered $500 at the start of the e-mails, and were at $650

The Original CL add-
For sale is a European specification 1985 Mercedes Benz 500SEL. This car was imported from Germany and brought to the United States. European market cars differed in quite a few American market cars such as transmission and rear end gearing as well as suspension making them in general a more sprightly and entertaining drive.
This car is in decent condition though it is in need of cosmetic attention as there is rust breaking out along the doors, wings and rear quarter panels. The underside, however, is in very solid shape and seems to be structurally sound. The car is in good general mechanical order. The oil has always been changed once a year even if the mileage covered was under 3,000 for that year. It fires readily and idles and revs smoothly. The car is not drivable at the moment as the brake lines will need attention. Other following items of note:
Display on the stereo does not work however stereo does function/Switches for the reclining rear seat function only in one direction/Springs in driver and passenger seat need to be refreshed/Wood paneling in interior will need to be replaced
Over the years this car has received regular maintenance such as:

Rebuilt engine and transmission/Rebuilt rear suspension/New front springs/New headlights/Stainless steel exhaust system/New speakers
I am selling this car as I would like the space in my driveway and would prefer to see the car be used. This car is currently on a clean NYS title. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact me.

Here are the e-mails:
Me: Hi I just had a few questions about the car, I am interested in driving it and taking care of her but it is semi drivable from (XXXX did you say your located?) to XXXX, or should a tow truck be the best way? I am a student and I can't afford to spend more then $500 but if you saw craigslist recently I'm selling a car too maybe a possible trade?
Him: Hello,I was told by my mechanic that the brake lines need to be replaced. To be safe a trailer or tow truck would be the best option. I am looking to make some space and so I am looking for a cash sale. If you're interested I'd be willing to accept $1100 cash for it.
Me: Ok in the current shape I can't pay $1100, due to the brake line
system being 100-300 to replace, and im sure that it can not be done at home due to the sitting of the vehicle in the weather. I still would like to buy the vehicle so could I have a day to think about it and maybe we could meet in the middle. I have a small garage at home and I am mechanically inclined to I would be right person if you would like to see this car stay alive. The current scrap value is around $400 so its not worth the metal to me I do really like and would be willing to care for the vehicle. Plus a tow would be $120 from XXXX tohere
Him: Hello, Is there a number I can contact you at to perhaps arrange a day and a time to view the car? Thank you.
Me Today: Hey Mike, I just wanted to e-mail you a make sure you didn't get cold feet. I have some early morning time open Sat/Sun until 10am, i'm only really available Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I would like to come sooner then later because I need a vehicle
Him: Hello Bikes, No worries, I was planning on calling either today or tomorrow and then I saw this e-mail. Wednesday next week would work as I have friends in town this weekend and so finding time between that would be a bit difficult. With regard to next week any time during the day would work well.

Sorry the post is so long, I just want all the info that I have out there.

What should I know, what should I look for? What I'm the most worried about is having to replace all the rubber gaskets because its old. Are there any SEL 500 owners out there or any Mercedes Benz geeks :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just bought a W126 a couple of weeks ago and i would have rather gotten a 500SE/L but i wound up with a 300SD instead. Biggest thing is going to be the self leveling rear suspension and the automatic climate control if it has those.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
What are you hoping to do with it? I'd be worried about the CIS system since it's been sitting so long, and W126s don't usually rust badly so having that much showing around the trim probably means there's a lot more hidden where you can't see it. If you're just looking for something to tinker with it might be an OK buy at $650 but there's no way you're going to hop in and start daily driving it after replacing the brake lines, if that's what you're expecting.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Like Zundfolge said the thing is already pretty rusty and likely a lot worse where you can't see it, fighting it now would be a losing battle. Sitting for three years I guarantee every piece of rubber on that car will be rotten. Plus every fluid and maintenance item will need changed. Also the rebuilt engine is freighting I would get some receipts for it and make sure it was done by a shop that knows Mercedes and why it was done in the first place. Receipts and documentation is king on these cars especially gray market cars. The injection system is very finicky and can be a right bitch to get working correctly again if ever. Same with the rebuilt trans. Really if you want a daily W126 just look for something else like a diesel or well documented gas car. This thing will turn into a headache for you if you do buy it weather it be from the fuckery of a engine "rebuild" or the car just rusting to pieces underneath you.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 19, 2015

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Zundfolge and Gunbus thank you for the advice. I get what you're stepping in about the rust. If I do go see it, ill make sure he has documentation.

Also not paying $650

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bikesonyx posted:

I am a student and I can't afford to spend more then $500
Was this "White lies we tell people when trying to lowball them on a car" or is this true? Because if it is, oh sweet Jesus what are you doing?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I get the feeling that the OP read Tavarish's Jalopnik posts about owning a cheap S-class and then transposed that horrid logic onto a car 20 years older because it fit within his budget.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Somebody link this thread to the owner

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus look at the rust in that thing!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

you should really stick with something more practical, like a mid 80's alfa romeo

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just stay away. That will cost you 3-4 times your purchase price to get it mobile. And thats not rust repair.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Augmented Dickey posted:

you should really stick with something more practical, like a mid 80's 300ZX with an eBay turbo conversion and rusted frame rails.

Gonna fix your typo there. ;)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
euro 500 motors will out run NA 560s. (in the 108 chassis)

but that thing looks like its not going to outrun a towtruck.

If its sat, bet on the following.

SEALS. ALL. OF. THEM.
This includes trans, and final drive.
CIS: hahaha non diagnostics. Better loving hope you're good with a multimeter, Oscilloscope, and old rear end injection systems in general.
Timing/valvetrain parts tend to take a poo poo if neglected. early 380/420 engines were more prone to this.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

zundfolge posted:

I get the feeling that the OP read Tavarish's Jalopnik posts about owning a cheap S-class and then transposed that horrid logic onto a car 20 years older because it fit within his budget.

Who is Tavarish Jalopnik? Guess you're going to have to make friends another way. Did you just call me poor?

cursedshitbox posted:

euro 500 motors will out run NA 560s. (in the 108 chassis)

but that thing looks like its not going to outrun a towtruck.

If its sat, bet on the following.

SEALS. ALL. OF. THEM.
This includes trans, and final drive.
CIS: hahaha non diagnostics. Better loving hope you're good with a multimeter, Oscilloscope, and old rear end injection systems in general.
Timing/valvetrain parts tend to take a poo poo if neglected. early 380/420 engines were more prone to this.

That's great advice. Ive always wanted a Grey market car. Maybe next time.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

bikesonyx posted:

Who is Tavarish Jalopnik? Guess you're going to have to make friends another way. Did you just call me poor?

No, but if you buy this car you will be :haw:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I mean that's the best era for luxo barges but find one that's been used instead of let sit to rot.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/4884817001.html

What about this guys? its at a dealer in Brooklyn

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bikesonyx posted:

You have to see it in person. If it in fact runs and drives well, and you get under it and find no rust, and the suspension isn't collapsed and they just have it on jacks for their photo shoot, then you may have found a good car. Actually the biggest warning sign to me is that for its condition, it should cost more.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Actually that looks decent. As long as its fairly leak free (expect some) but its not actively pissing fluids while it runs, it meets what Mr wiggles says, its a decent deal.

Just be prepped to dump some cash into it right away.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Given its location and the suspiciously low price, check for flood damage.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

zundfolge posted:

Given its location and the suspiciously low price, check for flood damage.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You have to see it in person. If it in fact runs and drives well, and you get under it and find no rust, and the suspension isn't collapsed and they just have it on jacks for their photo shoot, then you may have found a good car. Actually the biggest warning sign to me is that for its condition, it should cost more.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Actually that looks decent. As long as its fairly leak free (expect some) but its not actively pissing fluids while it runs, it meets what Mr wiggles says, its a decent deal.

Just be prepped to dump some cash into it right away.

Thanks for the advice BK and MrW, Yo Zundfolge I didn't even think about that!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just remember its an old rear end luxury car, prepare that shits going to explode for no reason at no given point. But theres a reason why these cars still roam third world countries. They are super easy to fix, and for the most part, the engines and associated running gear are super reliable and simple.

FWIW, I rarely hear complaints about Mercedes automatics. Pretty bulletproof as long as you keep some form of fluid in it. You think when they were with Chrysler, they could have stole some of that technology.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

FWIW, I rarely hear complaints about Mercedes automatics. Pretty bulletproof as long as you keep some form of fluid in it. You think when they were with Chrysler, they could have stole some of that technology.
Um, actually, they did. The 545RFE automatic in my '07 Dodge Ram is a Mercedes-derived unit. I can anecdotally confirm that it is quite nice and robust. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think the 645RFE used with the current Hemis is in the same family (possibly the 45RFE too, but that may just be purely Mopar) as well. I'm fairly certain this isn't the only example as the 300 did, and may even still, ride on an old E class chassis.

Then Daimler-Benz cleaned out their piggy bank before Cerberus came to pick at the remains, but that's a whole other thread...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well only Chrysler can make them explode. I never had good luck with Chrysler autos.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bikesonyx posted:

What's wrong with it's headlights?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

General_Failure posted:

Nothing, standard US spec.

But, "PERFECT WITH NO ISSUES" and the right rear quarter looks like someone went to town on it with a ball peen hammer? :bravo: I'm sure the rest of the car is just as PERFECT.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Ok the original white one is down to $850 on craigslist whats the lowest you'd pay for this AI?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

The US didn't permit anything except sealed beam headlights (where you replace the entire assembly when it burns out, instead of just the bulb) until sometime in the mid 1980s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Id still pass on the white one. It looks like its a giant headache.

Unless you REALLY want a project. And have lots of disposable cash handy. (4k is a good start)

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bikesonyx posted:

Ok the original white one is down to $850 on craigslist whats the lowest you'd pay for this AI?

I wouldn't, but that's just because of all the reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

Is there any particular reason that you're hell bent on buying a huge block of rust and perished rubber when you have admitted to having no money to fix it?

Because if it's a rusted out, non functional poo poo pile with no rear suspension you want, I'm sure there are better options.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

bikesonyx posted:

Here are the e-mails:
Me: Hi I just had a few questions about the car, I am interested in driving it and taking care of her but it is semi drivable from (XXXX did you say your located?) to XXXX, or should a tow truck be the best way? I am a student and I can't afford to spend more then $500 but if you saw craigslist recently I'm selling a car too maybe a possible trade?
Him: Hello,I was told by my mechanic that the brake lines need to be replaced. To be safe a trailer or tow truck would be the best option. I am looking to make some space and so I am looking for a cash sale. If you're interested I'd be willing to accept $1100 cash for it.
Me: Ok in the current shape I can't pay $1100, due to the brake line
system being 100-300 to replace, and im sure that it can not be done at home due to the sitting of the vehicle in the weather. I still would like to buy the vehicle so could I have a day to think about it and maybe we could meet in the middle. I have a small garage at home and I am mechanically inclined to I would be right person if you would like to see this car stay alive. The current scrap value is around $400 so its not worth the metal to me I do really like and would be willing to care for the vehicle. Plus a tow would be $120 from XXXX tohere
Him: Hello, Is there a number I can contact you at to perhaps arrange a day and a time to view the car? Thank you.
Me Today: Hey Mike, I just wanted to e-mail you a make sure you didn't get cold feet. I have some early morning time open Sat/Sun until 10am, i'm only really available Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I would like to come sooner then later because I need a vehicle
Him: Hello Bikes, No worries, I was planning on calling either today or tomorrow and then I saw this e-mail. Wednesday next week would work as I have friends in town this weekend and so finding time between that would be a bit difficult. With regard to next week any time during the day would work well.

God, you're the rear end in a top hat on craigslist that everybody hates - opening up with a ridiculous lowball offer sight unseen.

That said, even $500 is too much for that car, it's likely swiss cheese, not to mention all the other things people have said about it.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

charliemonster42 posted:

God, you're the rear end in a top hat on craigslist that everybody hates - opening up with a ridiculous lowball offer sight unseen.

That said, even $500 is too much for that car, it's likely swiss cheese, not to mention all the other things people have said about it.

Ya'll just jelly

I'm seriously joking, can't we all just have a laugh? I thought it was going to be funny. I guess I was wrong

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You are an unfunny moron, hope this helps

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Ha ha what a funny thread. :frogout:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Request mod challenge that he has to actually buy the thing and drive it cross-country.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You are the reason I bought a 99 cent sign and just sell my cars by parking them next to the street.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Request mod challenge that he has to actually buy the thing and drive it cross-country.

Challenge accepted!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bikesonyx posted:

Challenge accepted!

Here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006