Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

wanda posted:

I used to love Firefox. Then uBlock and PDF.js became available for Chromium and I abandoned FF for Chromium's better dev tools. I'm a fairweather browser supporter and a harlot.

Now Firefox is just a testing browser to me, like Safari and IE. I wish it wasn't like that because I really like how extensively I can tailot the UI.

I'm not a web dev, but it's always seemed that the native tools in Firefox are basically equivalent. What more does Chromium have?

quote:

How are people finding the Firefox Android app?

Good. I only use Chrome for sites that require it for streaming video reasons, i.e. hitbox and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Milkman posted:

What do you find better about them? Because I ran the other way, especially with Firefox DE letting me easily partition work and personal loving around

Maybe I'm blind, but Chrome has the stack-trace for every network request, and I didn't find that in the Firefox dev tools.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Read posted:

uBlock and NoScript do different things, so yes.
What do people find useful about NoScript in addition to annoyance-blocking tools like uBlock or ABP? Scripts have been blockable by your filter subscriptions for 5+ years now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I load some random website, site attempts to run malicious script. Noscript will stop it.

I load some random website, site attempts to run malicious script. uBlock/ABP might stop it, if I happen to have a filter that specifically blocks this script.

Whitelist vs Blacklist

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

What do people find useful about NoScript in addition to annoyance-blocking tools like uBlock or ABP? Scripts have been blockable by your filter subscriptions for 5+ years now.

Running a whitelist where everything is blocked by default is different from using a filter subscription, and much safer potentially. Also, Noscript provides extra security features outside what's available in FF.

They're too much for me, but they do have features valuable to the paranoid.

The Milkman posted:

What do you find better about them? Because I ran the other way, especially with Firefox DE letting me easily partition work and personal loving around

If nothing else, Chromium's network and other panels have a filter box, which is amazingly useful. No idea how Firefox can still be missing that, but it seems obvious.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For a good long while, Firefox basically didn't have any way to debug page event handlers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I really wish uBlock's picker for elements had a nice narrower/wider selection thing like AdBlock element hiding helper.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wanda posted:

Annoying that you need extensions to set the homepage and to add a home button, good for blocking ads.
Eventually I'll root this tablet and uninstall it, though, but for now it's good when I go on a streaming video hunt.

(I also only use desktop Firefox for testing too - and for fireftp, which supports SFTP - can't find a chrome extension that does, yet).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It started over the past week, maybe with the update to 36 but I'm not sure, but longer Youtube videos will run into problems now. Sometimes they'll drop video, and just freeze on a certain frame while the audio continues to play. Sometimes the audio will repeatedly cut out and slowly come back a few times before completely vanishing, and other times it'll just freeze. Refreshing and seeking to the same point doesn't help, restarting the browser has given mixed results.

I know part of this is Youtube being a moving target, but Firefox has been dragging their heels on Youtube despite it being one of the largest and most popular websites, and it's aggravating. I know it's not the same people, but seeing crap no one cares about like Firefox Hello (chat tied to your browser? why?) getting priority over reaching Youtube parity with what Chrome had six months ago is a little embarrassing.

Also annoyances like Firefox ignoring user settings for default behaviour for file types have been really pissing me off lately. Firefox has always been the only browser that gets all pissy over mimetypes and makes it hard or impossible to get consistent behaviour from. It's gotten even more annoying because switching to html5 on youtube and having MSE enabled makes it impossible to automatically prompt for downloading youtube videos, always forcing a right click->save target as. Having MSE enabled completely overrides any application settings, and that drives me up the wall. Just give me a download prompt for the mp4/mp3/ogg, I don't care what the mimetype is set to you idiot browser.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wanda posted:

Its literally the only "real" phone/tablet browser that supports AdBlock+, so it has that going for it, but you're still stuck with the Android clusterfuck to use it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pseudorandom name posted:

Its literally the only "real" phone/tablet browser that supports AdBlock+, so it has that going for it, but you're still stuck with the Android clusterfuck to use it.

It's alright, can't say more than that. There are a few areas where it doesn't have native android features, like the zoom gesture already mentioned, which can tend to get annoying.

No idea what clusterfuck you're talking about.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wooger posted:

No idea what clusterfuck you're talking about.

You know, Android. The only phone/tablet OS with malware and virus scanners and OEM/carrier spyware and an app store full of counterfeit garbage and rampant piracy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doesn't Opera for Android have an ABP extension?

E- boo, I thought opera for Android supported extensions, can only find an old build that does :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 3, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alereon posted:

I'm an image aggregator site junkie. These sites also tend to run a gazillion different scripts for no drat reason. Why do I need to run 60 different scripts just to see a picture of a kitten playing in snow?

If I visit one of those pages with NoScript off, the page takes forever to load, loads up random poo poo which uses up memory and has what seem like embedded windows to things like Facebook and Twitter so you can see every one of the 1000 inane comments of people commenting about dresses whatever image is on the page.

Sometimes blocking the script can break the page, like with embedded videos, but it's usually easy to see which script does that. If not, the "temporarily allow all scripts on this page" button handles that a treat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alereon posted:

I like that I have to actively give pages permission to do anything. If a page doesn't work right without javascript and I can't see a good reason why they need it, I'm just not going to use that web page.

I also have Firefox set to ask me what to do with cookies every time, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wipeout posted:

Doesn't Opera for Android have an ABP extension?

E- boo, I thought opera for Android supported extensions, can only find an old build that does :(

I think that functionality got removed about the same time Opera switched from their own renderer to using the Chrome renderer.

You know, Android. The only phone/tablet OS with malware and virus scanners and OEM/carrier spyware and an app store full of counterfeit garbage and rampant piracy.

Ok mister paranoid.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I like that I have to actively give pages permission to do anything. If a page doesn't work right without javascript and I can't see a good reason why they need it, I'm just not going to use that web page.

If you're removing javascript from most pages on the internet in 2015 you might as well remove HTML and CSS too.

Many pages will work but the only time I'd rather use that is if I'm stuck somewhere where javascript is not an option (e.g. accessing Gmail trough elinks).

I do have NoScript on in permissive mode for its XSS protection stuff/when I want to specifically block something though.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm using the beta 37 and youtube is still impossibly slow for me and seems to desync after 3 minutes. I don't have this issue on Chrome, I thought this was supposed to be fixed by this beta?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

It only happens when you enter fullscreen, not when you pause/unpause. I think your computer is broken.

Think I've figured this out some more. It will do it if you pause/unpause and previously had another window focused, which I do pretty frequently (work in one window/video in another).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm using the beta 37 and youtube is still impossibly slow for me and seems to desync after 3 minutes. I don't have this issue on Chrome, I thought this was supposed to be fixed by this beta?
Update your video drivers, and if that doesn't fix it, use "Refresh Firefox" from about :support to rebuild your profile. Youtube is now running as well on Firefox as Chrome for me on Windows 8.1 with current nVidia drivers on a GTX 680. Remember that Firefox depends on your video drivers for hardware-accelerated video decoding and rendering, so updating them isn't just a shot in the dark.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

annapacketstormaya posted:

If you're removing javascript from most pages on the internet in 2015 you might as well remove HTML and CSS too.

Many pages will work but the only time I'd rather use that is if I'm stuck somewhere where javascript is not an option (e.g. accessing Gmail trough elinks).

I do have NoScript on in permissive mode for its XSS protection stuff/when I want to specifically block something though.

I'm not running with no JS. I just expect the website to have an obvious reason for running it, and for it to be running from non-suspicious domains. For example, I've whitelisted the SA forums, but some rando link I follow from a PYF thread which looks suspiciously like a driveby site when I get there can't do poo poo because scripts are off, XSS is off, ads are blocked, flash cookies are blocked, cookies are blocked, etc.

Overly paranoid perhaps, but I also haven't had an infected machine in 10 years so I'm not going to change my habits any time soon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alereon posted:

Update your video drivers, and if that doesn't fix it, use "Refresh Firefox" from about :support to rebuild your profile. Youtube is now running as well on Firefox as Chrome for me on Windows 8.1 with current nVidia drivers on a GTX 680. Remember that Firefox depends on your video drivers for hardware-accelerated video decoding and rendering, so updating them isn't just a shot in the dark.

It's strange. I checked my version and although it was 37 beta, it downloaded a 5Mb update. That and enabling support for MSE & WebM VP9 in about :config seemed to have fixed the issue entirely. Oh well, not complaining!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's strange. I checked my version and although it was 37 beta, it downloaded a 5Mb update. That and enabling support for MSE & WebM VP9 in about :config seemed to have fixed the issue entirely. Oh well, not complaining!
I think the largest issue was the old settings in your profile. I suspect that when the Beta update flipped the preferences enable DASH-MSE, it didn't actually flip for you, possibly because your settings weren't at the default and it tries not to overwrite user customizations. Glad you've got it working now! If you do have issues in the future I do recommend building a new profile, either using Refresh Firefox or manually.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm trying to use youtube in html5 in FF stable or FF nightly - it gives black video windows at present, though otherwise seems like it should be working - I get the video frame & control, can see the spinner, and can even see thumbnails & low res version of the video content if I hover / drag on the progress bar.

I've tried fresh profiles for both.

Does it matter if I have the flash plugin, installed/uninstalled / disabled? Mine is currently auto-disabled, as my braindead IT dept. refuse to update it, despite obvious security implications, so it's blocked.

Does it matter if I have hardware acceleration enabled / disabled in options?

Are there any pre-requisite video players or codecs I need installed?

I've enabled every mediasource.* option in about :config.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Ah, in my search for umatrix alternatives, I found policeman, which does what I want. Basically, NoScript with a faster UI.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That seems cool but the rules settings seem to be a lot more :spergin: to me. Youtbe was a giant white page with text and placeholders all over the place.

The memory footprint is a lot smaller though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

wooger posted:

I'm trying to use youtube in html5 in FF stable or FF nightly - it gives black video windows at present, though otherwise seems like it should be working - I get the video frame & control, can see the spinner, and can even see thumbnails & low res version of the video content if I hover / drag on the progress bar.

I've tried fresh profiles for both.

Does it matter if I have the flash plugin, installed/uninstalled / disabled? Mine is currently auto-disabled, as my braindead IT dept. refuse to update it, despite obvious security implications, so it's blocked.

Does it matter if I have hardware acceleration enabled / disabled in options?

Are there any pre-requisite video players or codecs I need installed?

I've enabled every mediasource.* option in about :config.
Hardware acceleration must be enabled and working, which means you need recent* video drivers. Software decoding should be possible (if slow) for VP9 video, but isn't for H.264 (only supports the Constrained Baseline Profile for video conferencing), so if hardware acceleration isn't available it would fall back to Flash. If Flash isn't available, then you don't have a way to watch video. Unfortunately if your IT staff won't update your video drivers or Flash then you're kind of stuck using Chrome for video. I'm in that boat too due to ancient, buggy Intel graphics drivers, they work but present frames out-of-order, which isn't watchable.

*very old or known-buggy drivers are blocklisted, see about :support.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

Hardware acceleration must be enabled and working, which means you need recent* video drivers. Software decoding should be possible (if slow) for VP9 video, but isn't for H.264 (only supports the Constrained Baseline Profile for video conferencing), so if hardware acceleration isn't available it would fall back to Flash. If Flash isn't available, then you don't have a way to watch video. Unfortunately if your IT staff won't update your video drivers or Flash then you're kind of stuck using Chrome for video. I'm in that boat too due to ancient, buggy Intel graphics drivers, they work but present frames out-of-order, which isn't watchable.

*very old or known-buggy drivers are blocklisted, see about :support.

Thanks. I now got flash updated. Can you tell me which element of about :support will tell be if there's a driver problem?

Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Adapter Drivers: igdumd32 igd10umd32 igd10umd32
DirectWrite Enabled: false (6.2.9200.16571)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

wooger posted:

Thanks. I now got flash updated. Can you tell me which element of about :support will tell be if there's a driver problem?

Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Adapter Drivers: igdumd32 igd10umd32 igd10umd32
DirectWrite Enabled: false (6.2.9200.16571)
DirectWrite is not enabled, which points to an issue, either it's blocked due to an old driver or you have bad settings in your profile (use Refresh Firefox to fix that). If you need more assistance please copy and paste the entire Graphics block, which includes driver versions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently (maybe since the last stable-channel update? not entirely sure) I've been seeing this kind of image corruption if Firefox has been open for a while or I open a lot (>~10) tabs at once:

Any ideas what's going on?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Anyone else getting this UI bug (Win7, FF 36.0.1): Upon opening "Options," the options page is blank on whichever tab it is set to upon opening. For example, if you click "options" and you last closed it with the "General" tab open, then the "General" tab will be blank the next time you open options. You have to switch to a different options tab, close options, then reopen to make the original visible upon switching to it.

It's driving me mad because I often add cookie exceptions, so I have to open options, switch away from the blank privacy tab, close options, reopen options, and then click the privacy tab to get it to show up. :psyduck:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

Recently (maybe since the last stable-channel update? not entirely sure) I've been seeing this kind of image corruption if Firefox has been open for a while or I open a lot (>~10) tabs at once:

I have the same issue. I have no idea why it happens or how to fix it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nalin posted:

I have the same issue.

Me, too. Doing a Ctrl-F5 usually fixes things, but I have no idea why it's happening.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I'm getting the same image corruption. It is annoying. This seems to be the appropriate bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1139430.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

I get that too, but only if I open a bunch of images from the same site at once. I assumed it was just the images failing to load completely because I was hammering the server, but judging from Implied Consent's post there's a bug open for it.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
Well technically there's an "bug open for it". But really its just "one guy reported it". If you're having the same issue please join the bug and post feedback.

It seems to be site-specific too, it's happened a lot to me on Amazon and Marks and Spencer, but I haven't seen it on any image-heavy threads here on SA, most other sites are fine too.

edit: I just updated to 36.0.1 and there's no change

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I used to have those problems in Opera when it was running too long. Have you tried deleting your cache yet?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah, this is a bug I'm familiar with and have seen over the years and actually haven't seem a lot lately since 1-2 years ago when I got a more powerful laptop. It happened once just before upgrading to 36 but that was me doing odd things and putting it under stress by loading multiples of the same large images in the browser and Page Info window, but that was a display bug, I could still download the image. This might be entirely different entirely though. Try refreshing or clearing the cache though if the same images never load.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm seeing it all over the place too. Not just limited to a single site. Is it possible to upvote or whatever a bug on bugtracker? Can you do it without needing an account? That's about the limit of what I'm willing to do on that horrible site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

xamphear posted:

I'm seeing it all over the place too. Not just limited to a single site. Is it possible to upvote or whatever a bug on bugtracker? Can you do it without needing an account? That's about the limit of what I'm willing to do on that horrible site.

Yes, you can upvote a bug. No, you need an account. No, no one cares about votes on bugs.