Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Also bit the bullet and bought a copy of Dark Dungeons off of Lulu with that discount code someone posted earlier
The paperback version of Dark Dungeons is ridiculous. It's huge and has no author so it looks like some satanic coffee table book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The paperback version of Dark Dungeons is ridiculous. It's huge and has no author so it looks like some satanic coffee table book.

Well wouldn't be the first huge OSR book in paperback that I own(Blood & Treasure takes that honor), nor even the largest book I own in general(that would be my copy of the Taschen collection for Little Nemo In Slumberland, which when you think about it would make for an awesome campaign setting for an OSR game)

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's actually Dungeon Crawl Classics.

There's a Luck stat that modifies a bunch of things like crits or spellcasting checks or fumbles, and the player can also "burn" their luck to gain a bonus to a life-or-death roll.

When the Warrior makes an attack roll, instead of adding a flat attack bonus to their d20, they roll a "deed die" which starts at d3 and goes as high as d10 and add that to the d20 attack roll instead. If the attack roll is a hit AND the deed die is a 3 or higher, they can declare a dramatic combat maneuver.

DalaranJ posted:

That's Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Simian_Prime posted:

Dungeon Crawler Classics

Bob Quixote posted:

You might be thinking of Dungeon Crawl Classics - that game has an escalating fighter bonus die and when you roll a 3+ result on it you pull off a Mighty Deed.

:saddowns: I feel so stupid not knowing the answer when it's plastered all over this thread AND actually having the PDF. Thanks guys! The deed die is a seriously nifty thing.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Seriously though somebody should try running a PbP of it - we all seem to be fans enough of the game

I'd be up for this, but i've never Judged PbP. Is it as long and drawn out as I imagine it is?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a cool DCC character sheet I found on the net:

link to the artist's site

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's not D&D but it is old, and the stats on that character sheet reminded me: is the Fallout RPG actually any good or not? I fukken love Fallout NV and the PnP rules seemed decent but I'd be interested to hear from someone who's played it

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's not D&D but it is old, and the stats on that character sheet reminded me: is the Fallout RPG actually any good or not? I fukken love Fallout NV and the PnP rules seemed decent but I'd be interested to hear from someone who's played it

Is this the Fallout fan RPG that basically just tries to translate the computer games into PnP?

I played it once with my friends. Character creation took a while because you had to calculate the starting levels of all your skills with a bunch of different formulas. In play it was just a pretty normal, by the numbers 1d% roll under system, except in combat when poo poo suddenly got super detailed and everything slowed down because the game used the action point economy of the computer games.

I can't really recommend it: as me and my friends discovered, trying to translate the system of a computer RPG 1-to-1 is a fool's errand, because you don't have the benefit of a computer doing all the calculations for you. If I could recommend an alternative, there's Retrocalypse. It's a hack of Old School Hack, a simple hack-and-slash RPG based on emulating old-school D&D, adapted to the style of Fallout. It's got the feel of Fallout but without the unnecessary number-crunching.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ratpick posted:

Is this the Fallout fan RPG that basically just tries to translate the computer games into PnP?

I played it once with my friends. Character creation took a while because you had to calculate the starting levels of all your skills with a bunch of different formulas. In play it was just a pretty normal, by the numbers 1d% roll under system, except in combat when poo poo suddenly got super detailed and everything slowed down because the game used the action point economy of the computer games.

I can't really recommend it: as me and my friends discovered, trying to translate the system of a computer RPG 1-to-1 is a fool's errand, because you don't have the benefit of a computer doing all the calculations for you. If I could recommend an alternative, there's Retrocalypse. It's a hack of Old School Hack, a simple hack-and-slash RPG based on emulating old-school D&D, adapted to the style of Fallout. It's got the feel of Fallout but without the unnecessary number-crunching.

Wasn't the original Fallout fan RPG made by a creator of the crpg?

Also, is there a version of Retrocalypse that has the traits? It looks really, really cool, but the version you linked is incomplete.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

Wasn't the original Fallout fan RPG made by a creator of the crpg?

Also, is there a version of Retrocalypse that has the traits? It looks really, really cool, but the version you linked is incomplete.

Whoops, sorry! Here's the final version!

As far as the fan RPG goes, I'm not sure who it was made by. It seemed like a very accurate translation of the CRPGs rules into PnP, but as I noted above, it doesn't work quite as well on tabletop as it does when a computer does all the work for you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ratpick posted:

Whoops, sorry! Here's the final version!

As far as the fan RPG goes, I'm not sure who it was made by. It seemed like a very accurate translation of the CRPGs rules into PnP, but as I noted above, it doesn't work quite as well on tabletop as it does when a computer does all the work for you.

J.E. Sawyer, one of the people who worked on several Fallout projects (including New Vegas) wrote an RPG. I read the PDF somewhere, it seemed neat, googling now shows there's a whole wiki devoted to it now which h probably means it's been hosed up by terrible nerds.

Edit: I can't find the loving PDF I was looking at before, drat.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's even a minis wargame bundled on one of the Fallout Tactics CDs, it's not hard to find online.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
To my recollection, the Fallout PnP RPG was a pretty traditional stats/skills/perks setup paired with binary task resolution mechanics. I'm sure JE Sawyers' games were fun, but that was probably more because of his ability to GM than the mechanics themselves.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I usually play Dungeon World or FATE or some such, but a friend is running D&D 2e in Forgotten Realms on Roll20.

What is the best way for me to have fun playing a bard, potentially with the Gallant kit?

Alternatively, what not to do. I really don't like binary pass/fail.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 20, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So I might be joining in on a 1e D&D game in a week and a half or so. Don't really know what to expect. My experience with D&D before 3e were the Baldur's Gate PC games, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and once on the forums I got a Firbolg into a 2e Spelljammer game mere posts before it died.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I found a Black Book 2e (2.5?) PHB, DMG and an original 2e Monstrous Manual at a book sale. If I wanted to run a game using these, what hotfixes would I need to make it a stable run beyond getting a DM screen and not using Method I?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
With those three you should actually be fine.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, 2e's not too bad to play straight out of the books if you just stick to the core, and you don't need the DMG if you have a screen.

Ryuujin posted:

So I might be joining in on a 1e D&D game in a week and a half or so. Don't really know what to expect. My experience with D&D before 3e were the Baldur's Gate PC games, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and once on the forums I got a Firbolg into a 2e Spelljammer game mere posts before it died.

If you mean AD&D 1e like I'm assuming, the type of game you end up with will depend so heavily on which rules the DM's actually using that it's really impossible to say much about what to expect. If you're starting at first level, then RAW your characters will be a lot more fragile than you'd think, and wizards will feel really useless.

If you somehow found someone who's running original D&D, then what you should expect is to go into a dungeon and fight some monsters and take their treasure. Your characters will probably die suddenly without a chance to react, but you should also be able to roll and introduce a new character really fast (like, less than 10 minutes really fast).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 21, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generally my group does not even run with screens for anything anymore. Laptops and tablets, sure. But that whole huge discussion a couple of weeks ago about fudging rolls? Well, nothing happens behind a screen, so...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Generally my group does not even run with screens for anything anymore. Laptops and tablets, sure. But that whole huge discussion a couple of weeks ago about fudging rolls? Well, nothing happens behind a screen, so...

Yes, the DM should roll dice out in the open. On the other hand, the old school dungeon crawling style of play kind of assumes that you've got a detailed map that the players can't see. I guess if you're not playing that kind of game there's no need to use a screen to hide anything, but if you've got one anyway it still makes a good reference sheet.

e: I guess if all your poo poo's on a laptop or tablet, it's not worth it to have another thing on the table to reference.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So, MY GIRLFRIEND just finished the art for a supplement of Mutant Future. Is the game any good? We were considering trying to get a group together and do a one shot of it. Her RPG experience is limited to a few sessions of Pathfinder and Paranoia (she was a huge fan of the setting of the latter), I on the other hand have played 2e, and have some idea of older D&D mechanics. So here are the things I want to know:

1) Is the game fun, or am I going to have to implement house rules?
2) Are there any must have supplements?
3) How complex is it, and how much of the mechanics should I just shoulder as DM?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mutant Future is fun as poo poo. It's less a Gamma World clone and more like a literal post-apoc B/X D&D. It's also 100% compatible with Labyrinth Lord (and therefore B/X), and since it's a kitchen sink PA setting, you can run anything from a light, goofy Adventure Time game, to a slightly more sinister but kinda goofy Fallout game, to a grimdark 'cannibalism and radiation sickness' kinda game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

my copy of Dark Dungeons arrived in the mail today woo!!!!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Mutant Future is fun as poo poo. It's less a Gamma World clone and more like a literal post-apoc B/X D&D. It's also 100% compatible with Labyrinth Lord (and therefore B/X), and since it's a kitchen sink PA setting, you can run anything from a light, goofy Adventure Time game, to a slightly more sinister but kinda goofy Fallout game, to a grimdark 'cannibalism and radiation sickness' kinda game.

Yeah, Mutant Future is fun and being based on Labyrinth Lord it's a very simple game with a clear structure. The GM is still assumed to shoulder most of the mechanics, but once you get the procedures down it practically runs itself.

There's one mechanical problem with Mutant Future though: since PCs in the game start with more hit dice, monsters are also given more hit dice so that they'd not be one-hit wonders. However, because the game uses the Labyrinth Lord attack charts, this means that especially at low levels when armor is scarce and expensive characters will be hit by their enemies a lot more often than they have a chance to hit their enemies (because to-hit values for PCs are based on character level, not hit dice).

I've never written up a complete set of house-rules to fix this, but one idea I had was to somehow extrapolate the psychic attack charts for melee and ranged combat so that combat rolls become entirely disentangled from hit dice. You'd still need a way to determine attack and defense abilities for enemies, but I think you can use the guidelines for determining enemy Willpower as a starting point.

But yeah, it's fun and there are no must-have supplements that I know of: it's a very complete game with a lot of material, so you won't immediately need to supplement it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

my copy of Dark Dungeons arrived in the mail today woo!!!!
Dark Dungeons is seriously the best.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I didn't think I'd like Dark Dungeons when I first read it. It seemed like a bunch of fiddly bullshit and unintuitive rolls with weird dice, but in play it is really, really good. Once I realized the whole surprise, distance, reaction, initiative, is just rolling 2d6 four times it clicked for me. It doesn't play like it reads, you have to go through to motions to understand it in my opinion.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Totally waiting on my print copy of Into the Odd to arrive. That printing mishap that (I think) I mentioned earlier ended up turning into an additional copy for those who pre-ordered and those who order for a limited time. It's being called "Friendship Edition," so you can give a copy to a friend.

Pretty hyped about getting this book. I got the email that it was being packaged/sent and then the publisher told me I was getting a special customization or something. Wonder what it could be...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I didn't think I'd like Dark Dungeons when I first read it. It seemed like a bunch of fiddly bullshit and unintuitive rolls with weird dice, but in play it is really, really good. Once I realized the whole surprise, distance, reaction, initiative, is just rolling 2d6 four times it clicked for me. It doesn't play like it reads, you have to go through to motions to understand it in my opinion.

Are you guys talking about the Rules Cyclopedia retroclone?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you guys talking about the Rules Cyclopedia retroclone?

yes(it's notable for being approximately the third Retroclone/OSR game I ever got into, after Mazes & Minotaurs[which I wish we'd talk about more often here, because it's a brilliant game, although a little on the shallow end compared to more recent OSR games], and OSRIC)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

yes(it's notable for being approximately the third Retroclone/OSR game I ever got into, after Mazes & Minotaurs[which I wish we'd talk about more often here, because it's a brilliant game, although a little on the shallow end compared to more recent OSR games], and OSRIC)

Mazes & Minotaurs is amazing. Rules-wise it might not be anything special, but the ongoing commentary featuring snippets of letters from an entirely fictional M&M fanzine is pure genius.

I also love how unapologetic the game is about being set in the not-Greece of Hollywood cinema and popular culture depictions of Greek mythology and how the aforementioned commentary makes it even clearer (the Gygaz analogue of M&M mostly answers letters to the effect of the game being unrealistic and mythically inaccurate with some snarky variation of "it's just a game!").

And then they went and did it again with Vikings & Valkyries, applying the same level of pastiche to Norse mythology instead (horned helmets and all). The entirety of the M&M is like some weird meta-commentary on old-school RPG design all the way down to the fact that one of the supplements introduced more detailed combat systems as an answer to all the calls for a more realistic combat system. I mean, hell, Vikings & Valkyries is the really awkward translation of a game based on Greek myth for Norse myth, exactly what was done with D&D a million times in spite of the fact that the system is a really awkward fit for most settings.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Not a game, but of interest to the thread regardless: this week's Humble Book Bundle includes the Jack Vance Treasury in the $1 tier:

quote:

Preface, Jack Vance
Jack Vance: An Appreciation, George R.R. Martin
Introduction: Fruit from the Tree of Life
The Dragon Masters
Liane the Wayfarer
Sail 25
The Gift of Gab
The Miracle Workers
Guyal of Sfere
Noise
The Kokod Warriors
The Overworld
The Men Return
The Sorcerer Pharesm
The New Prime
The Secret
The Moon Moth
The Bagful of Dreams
The Mitr
Morreion
The Last Castle
Biographical Sketch & Other Facts, Jack Vance

Obviously there's not just the one book in the bundle; other authors include Joe Lansdale, Thomas Ligotti, Harlan Ellison, and the omnibus collection of Barry Hughart's Master Li and Number Ten Ox stories.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's worth it just for Vance and Hughart.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's worth it just for Vance and Hughart.
For real, the Dying Earth series is amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And Bridge of Birds is loving awesome.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So a while back, Sine Nomine released The Smoking Pillar of Lan Yu, which was on the surface an adventure module for Scarlet Heroes, but was also a case study in replicating the design of the original OSR adventure modules such as Keep on the Borderlands or Palace of the Silver Princess.

Now, they've released Exemplars and Eidolons, which is on the surface a 48-page, fully playable OSR game that resembles a stripped down version of Scarlet Heroes, but is also a case study of replicating the design of the original Three Brown Books of D&D.

And they're both completely free.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So a while back, Sine Nomine released The Smoking Pillar of Lan Yu, which was on the surface an adventure module for Scarlet Heroes, but was also a case study in replicating the design of the original OSR adventure modules such as Keep on the Borderlands or Palace of the Silver Princess.

Now, they've released Exemplars and Eidolons, which is on the surface a 48-page, fully playable OSR game that resembles a stripped down version of Scarlet Heroes, but is also a case study of replicating the design of the original Three Brown Books of D&D.

And they're both completely free.

The G+ post about E&E that introduced it also had some talk about whether you could use it to run an Exalted game with a different system, and the creator agreed that it might fit with a Dragon-Blooded game without too much work, but doing something bigger might take a bit. He admitted that it hadn't been playtested. Also, a difference between E&E and SH is that, as far as I can tell, SH is intended for one player (and can support a second) but if you want a regular group size you're encouraged to use a different system because you'd have to fiddle with things too much. In E&E, it seems we are given a similar situation but basically encouraged to use the chassis for full group play.

A side note on any game that uses the Fray die, also. It seems like a good technology to implement for a number of things that would fall under other techniques, such as feats. Need to eliminate enemies around your primary target? The Fray die can handle that. Want to give wizards an at-will attack that can hurt anything? The Fray Die can handle it. Want to do some wuxia or swashbucklery combat moves? The Fray die can handle it, because it lets you do extra stuff beyond what gets covered in your basic attack roll. It's a great technology, to my mind.

Not too difficulty to hack a monk out of a rogue, warrior, or multi-class with the SH chassis. And you don't need to stop moving to get multiple attacks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, I'm thinking about some weird design questions right now.
If you were going to alter the number of ability scores in D&D to any number between 1 and 8 how would you change them?
Maybe like:
1 - Level
2 - Physical and Mental, Attack and Save, or possibly Power and Finesse?
3- Fortitude, Reflex and Will probably. Unless you want to dump all the mental stats and have Strength, Dexterity and Constitution
4- Body, Agility, Mind and Charm
5- I've always been of the opinion that you could probably (i.e. as long as there isn't any multiclassing) come right out and combine Intelligence and Wisdom. If I was feeling really brazen I'd call them 'magic'.
7- Split Charisma into 'looking good' and 'feeling good', I mean comeliness and presence. Actually I'd probably split Dexterity into sneaking and dodging.
8- What are the abilities in Paranoia? That.

Obviously the follow up question is "How many ability scores do you think is best?"

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 3, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would probably do something like:

* Reduce stats to just STR, DEX and INT, perhaps add PER(sonality) if the campaign really warrants a mechanical representation of a face/charismatic character

* Three true words/phrases/statements about your character

* Combat revolves entirely around the attack roll vs AC dynamic, even for a Magic-User. A Fighter would fish for attack roll bonuses or mechanical effects through brute strength. A Rogue would do so via sneakiness and subterfuge. A Magic-User would do so by applying/targeting magical weaknesses, such as elemental opposites. I would however rule that the stat that contributes an attack bonus isn't locked in to the class. If the Fighter says he's a Fighter that adds his INT to his d20 instead of his STR, he can.

* Skill checks would still just be d20 vs a DC, with bonuses based on the applicable stat and an applicable true statement (and perhaps the class counts as a statement by itself?). The DM can also use the "opposite implication" of a true statement to justify a high DC/roll penalty

* Saving throws would be similar to skill checks: "a boulder is coming at you, what do you do?" and the player comes up with an active solution (I dodge out of the way, I blow it out of the way) or a passive solution (the boulder will smash on the sheer toughness of my chest)

Gasperkun posted:

A side note on any game that uses the Fray die, also. It seems like a good technology to implement for a number of things that would fall under other techniques, such as feats. Need to eliminate enemies around your primary target? The Fray die can handle that. Want to give wizards an at-will attack that can hurt anything? The Fray Die can handle it. Want to do some wuxia or swashbucklery combat moves? The Fray die can handle it, because it lets you do extra stuff beyond what gets covered in your basic attack roll. It's a great technology, to my mind.

It occurs to me that the Fray Die is precisely the sort of "D&D combat without attack rolls that can miss" kind of thing that people were talking about in the Next thread.

Or rather, technically a 1 result on the Fray Die (or on SH/E&E's damage rolls) is a miss that does nothing, but it's a single roll rather than two.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, why did I download this and not read it until now? This is awesome.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Wait, why did I download this and not read it until now? This is awesome.

I've just started reading this and awesome is definitely the way I'd describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
3rding the Exemplars and Eidolons is a cool read sentiment. I especially like the Effort rules as a way to manage player time in the spotlight.

I really like Dungeon Crawl Classics' take on magic and mighty deeds, specifically that it mostly boils down to make something up and roll some dice and here are some decent guidelines for what different rolls should be able to do. Everything else is good too except I don't care for the three-stooges-but-everything-is-covered-in-razor-blades level of random lethality for the players. I'm I better off porting the magic and mighty deeds stuff into something else, or can a few house rules take care of it?
Something like:
  • More level 1 HP. Something like max their level 0 HD and their level 1 class HD, or maybe even add their Constitution score to their maxed level 1 HD (probably dropping the level 0 HD).
  • Keep HP the same, but make luck come back between delves.
  • Monsters can't crit against players.
  • Ignore the fumble rules.

Thoughts?

• Locked thread