Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Do you think it's worth investing the money to set up a physical lab or should I just go with the simulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Packet Tracer (the free version anyways) doesn't support everything that is theoretically covered by the CCNA, and GNS3 is finicky enough that I wouldn't try to use it as my sole practice tool, but that's just me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have simmed their way to passing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
That's enough convincing for me to just find the stuff for cheap on eBay, thanks!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you don't work with switches on a consistent basis, you should buy one or two to practice with. GNS3 doesn't support all of the features of catalyst switches.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

That's enough convincing for me to just find the stuff for cheap on eBay, thanks!

Do some shopping around (craigslist especially). Some dude('s wife) sold me a new in box 2960X-24PS-L for $120 (retails for 1900) just to get it out of their garage which was A-OK with me.

Now I can authentically recreate the audio from the flight deck scenes from Top Gun in my home office.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sheep posted:

Packet Tracer (the free version anyways) doesn't support everything that is theoretically covered by the CCNA, and GNS3 is finicky enough that I wouldn't try to use it as my sole practice tool, but that's just me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have simmed their way to passing.

Packet Tracer doesn't (didn't?) support the | command, which is so dumb and annoying.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sheep posted:

Do some shopping around (craigslist especially). Some dude('s wife) sold me a new in box 2960X-24PS-L for $120 (retails for 1900) just to get it out of their garage which was A-OK with me.

Now I can authentically recreate the audio from the flight deck scenes from Top Gun in my home office.

I'm watching a 2950 on eBay that's sitting at $45 shipped, kind of on a tight budget so I think I'll grab it. I see a 2620 router for $40 shipped too. I understand these are both old but the reviews say they used them for labs and it's what CBT course suggests too, so I guess that's a pretty good deal yeah? :shrug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've got 1841s and a 2950 racked at the moment, works fine for me. I bought my routers from Retroharware.com via Amazon, though, since I needed a couple that had SEC-K9.

Don't forget to get a serial cable and serial-usb adapter that doesn't suck.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Inspector_666 posted:

Packet Tracer doesn't (didn't?) support the | command, which is so dumb and annoying.

Its not essential for a CCNA, I didn't use | until about 3 years into my Cisco career, and I didnt know about | sec until about 4-5 years in. I also hate when I'm on a router that will do | inc but not | sec

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Drunk Orc posted:

I'm watching a 2950 on eBay that's sitting at $45 shipped, kind of on a tight budget so I think I'll grab it. I see a 2620 router for $40 shipped too. I understand these are both old but the reviews say they used them for labs and it's what CBT course suggests too, so I guess that's a pretty good deal yeah? :shrug:

They sound like they'll do you nicely, but you'll probably want two switches and two routers so you can make your trunks and see your routing in action and stuff.
If you know any people that work with Cisco, ask around. Our storeroom has about 10 old 1800 series routers, a few 870's and 801/3's just sitting there with a few old 100mb switches that I can't bring myself to throw away because I know one of the new guys will want to lab with it soon.

Edit: argh double posting

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 3, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ahdinko posted:

Its not essential for a CCNA, I didn't use | until about 3 years into my Cisco career, and I didnt know about | sec until about 4-5 years in. I also hate when I'm on a router that will do | inc but not | sec

It makes it so much easier to find into when you show run though. It's also discussed in the CCNA literature.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Oh god yeah its an awesome command, now that I know it, I wonder how I did anything spending my time scrolling through entire configs.
Although I suppose back in my CCNA days, I was writing and dealing with simple, short configs. Now that I've learnt more and am working on head-end routers with 10+ certs, ACL's that would be the length of my arm if I printed them out and dozens of virtual interfaces, the config is probably 5 times longer than what I used to deal with.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always used the Boson Netsim software and like it a lot better than Packet Tracer or GSN3. Look around online there's usually always some promo code's available to get it a bit cheaper.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Oh gently caress you VMware. I'm sitting VCP550 by the end of the month.

quote:

They're here! vSphere 6 Training Courses Now Available!

VMware vSphere® is the world's leading server virtualization platform, and is the foundation of the Software-Defined Data Center. vSphere 6 builds on the success of prior versions of vSphere and extends your ability to virtualize scale-up and scale-out applications, redefine availability, and simplify your virtual data center. VMware Education Services has introduced vSphere 6 training courses to help you get more value from your vSphere 6 investment:

vSphere: What's New [V5.X to V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60896
This hands-on course explores new features and enhancements in VMware vCenter Server™ 6.0 and VMware ESXi™ 6.0. This class is recommended for customers who want to deploy vSphere 6 into their existing vSphere environment.

vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60901
This intensive, hands-on training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware vSphere 6, and includes VMware ESXi 6.0 along with VMware vCenter Server 6.0. This course will give you a solid understanding of how to administer a vSphere infrastructure for organizations of any size.

vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60907
This course is designed for experienced VMware vSphere users and teaches advanced skills for configuring and maintaining a highly available and scalable virtual infrastructure. If you're ready to take your understanding of vSphere to a deeper level – this course is for you.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Are there any good places to get practice with subnetting? Maybe have the question then have the answer worked through? I kind of get subnetting, but I need to practice it so I can get good.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ozu posted:

I got the "you can enroll now" email from Stanly last month and my first question was "will this be updated for VSphere 6?" to which they replied "No, check back in the fall".

Made that decision easy!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Gothmog1065 posted:

Are there any good places to get practice with subnetting? Maybe have the question then have the answer worked through? I kind of get subnetting, but I need to practice it so I can get good.

Get a CCNA book, or Network+ book. You can also get a free trial membership for CBT nuggets right now. The videos are great for subnetting.

Here are some links though
http://www.subnetting.net/Tutorial.aspx

Cheat sheet
http://packetlife.net/media/library/15/IPv4_Subnetting.pdf

Another how to
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

Edit:
For the above questions about lab setup, I was able to use 3 1841 routers for the majority of the crap I needed to do. I just borrowed some older switches from work. Honestly though Packet Tracer was the best thing to use. I only used the actual physical stuff to verify commands that weren't listed within PT.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 4, 2015

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Gothmog1065 posted:

This doesn't give you a step by step, but it will give you endless randomised subnetting questions : http://subnettingquestions.com

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Jelmylicious posted:

This doesn't give you a step by step, but it will give you endless randomised subnetting questions : http://subnettingquestions.com

Perfect! It's not the step by step I need (I can reference notes), but the practice. I'll learn to do it the hard way before doing cheat sheets. I just need to do it over and over until I get good.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Just master counting in 16's haha.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone ever take ARCH? I recall hearing nice things about the CCDP and since I'm gonna take ROUTE/SWITCH anyway, thought I might as well knock that one out.

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Anyone ever take ARCH? I recall hearing nice things about the CCDP and since I'm gonna take ROUTE/SWITCH anyway, thought I might as well knock that one out.

I certified for the CCDP after the CCNP a few years ago. I like the CCDA/DP track, especially more since they revamped it. Will give you a good background into the portfolio past routers and switches as well as general network design concepts and methodologies that will be relevant throughout your career or at least you should be aware of them because people will often cite them (i.e. PPDIOO).

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Passed the CISSP. What a weird test, I'm assuming this year's layout was pretty heavily influenced by the upcoming change to the CBK.

For the record, I'd say the Conrad, and Dupois materials I used in my prep were lifesavers.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Any suggestions for a MCSA Server 2012 R2 book or series?

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Total nub here. Have a degree in an unrelated field and want to jump in. no experience. is it better for me to gun for certs like A+ and Network+ and just try to land an entry position? Should I go back to school for a degree?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Broletariat posted:

Total nub here. Have a degree in an unrelated field and want to jump in. no experience. is it better for me to gun for certs like A+ and Network+ and just try to land an entry position? Should I go back to school for a degree?

You might want to try to get a Net+ to get your foot in the door, but keep applying to help desk type jobs while you do.

And no, you definitely don't need to go back to school to get another degree.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

You might want to try to get a Net+ to get your foot in the door, but keep applying to help desk type jobs while you do.

And no, you definitely don't need to go back to school to get another degree.

Thank you.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Broletariat posted:

A+ isn't useless and you will learn from it. Its pretty much used by HR when they're going through resumes to show that you meet basic requirements for basic entry level low tier Helpdesk. The likelihood of you getting an entry level job at a decent company without A+ is pretty low. At that point, nepotism is how you get jobs without certs or formal education.

I wanted a career change and actually wanted to be in IT. My problem was I had no IT job experience or education. I was just one of those guys that was self taught and "was good with computers". I didn't get a single interview until I put A+ on my resume.

Long story short, you'll get your foot in the door and will have to work your way up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Matteyo posted:

I certified for the CCDP after the CCNP a few years ago. I like the CCDA/DP track, especially more since they revamped it. Will give you a good background into the portfolio past routers and switches as well as general network design concepts and methodologies that will be relevant throughout your career or at least you should be aware of them because people will often cite them (i.e. PPDIOO).

Yeah, I've looked through the overview of the design certs, and if anything else, I'd at least like to learn about network design beyond configuration/technical details, regardless of the certs.

Also I misread the cert requirements, and I'd have to take DESGN for the CCDA first, though that actually doesn't look that hard, especially with a decent amount of hands-on experience and sitting in team meetings and such. :v:

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Passed the CISSP. What a weird test, I'm assuming this year's layout was pretty heavily influenced by the upcoming change to the CBK.

For the record, I'd say the Conrad, and Dupois materials I used in my prep were lifesavers.

Congrats!

Now the fun part; Getting the endorsement. It looks like its taking 4-5 weeks. They sent me an email saying they recieved my paperwork on the 11th of Feb and I'm still waiting.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DirtyFalcon posted:

Congrats!

Now the fun part; Getting the endorsement. It looks like its taking 4-5 weeks. They sent me an email saying they recieved my paperwork on the 11th of Feb and I'm still waiting.

Yep, had my paperwork all set to go by the time I got in to the office, got the confirmation email within 3 hours. I'm fine with the waiting, especially after it took ISACA 14 weeks to get my my test results/certification for my previous stuff. Thanks again for the advice!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

supersteve posted:

Any suggestions for a MCSA Server 2012 R2 book or series?

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111885991X,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html

I did the MS Press upgrade book but only because nothing was available before they had R2 as the exam material. Now that there's a Sybex book I have no qualms recommending it - William Panek knows what he's doing.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Ozu posted:

The VCP550 should stick around for at least another year or so - I'm not stressing about it.

I've been sick the last couple months and haven't had the ability to do any studying, so I'm getting back into things soon. Interestingly enough, I received an email from from VMUG offering something called the VMUG Advantage, which gives you access to six of the bigger VMware offerings for 1 year for just $200, and includes 3 host licenses for non-production use of vSphere 5 and vCenter. I got a little bonus at work that covered it, so I went ahead and bought a membership to see if it works. I'll let you know if it does.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sheep posted:

I got the "you can enroll now" email from Stanly last month and my first question was "will this be updated for VSphere 6?" to which they replied "No, check back in the fall".

Made that decision easy!

My Stanly class ends in 3 days.

:suicide:

Welp... I hope the What's New class is at least relatively inexpensive.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
GIS & Data Analyst here. I'm looking to start studying towards the SQL Server 2012 MCSA this year, as I'm positioned to move into a DBA role at my company in a year or so.

Microsoft lists 3 providers for buying practice exams from:

Kaplan SelfTest
MeasureUp
Transcender

Are these all the same exam? And is there a goon recommended option from these 3?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've always found MeasureUp exams are ridiculously hard and have very little comparability to the actual exam in terms of difficulty, so its hard to gauge if you're ready or not.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
I could use some advice, if this thread is the appropriate place:

My A+ and Security+ expire this May. They're my only two certifications. I have little to no professional experience (just two part time tech support jobs) and I don't have my BS in IT yet (just my AAS in IS&T). So I don't have much marketability going for me yet.

I'm having difficulty finding a job as-is. I figure that losing my two certifications will make me a little less hirable (unless it's okay to leave recently-expired certifications on a resume to show I was once knowledgeable to gain those certifications) for entry level jobs.

I also have very little money right now. Housing and food is fine, but beyond that I'm broke. Is it worth spending what little I've got to re-certify as Security+ or instead work on earning the Network+ (I assume either will renew my A+ automatically) if I do it before May), or should I just quit worrying about my certifications and let them expire (and maybe go back to them when I find a job)?

I know the A+ is rather worthless for anything but entry level jobs, but that's where I'm stuck at for the moment, and I have seen it listed as a requirement on job postings a few times already.

edit: I should clarify... I know how the CompTIA certifications work, but the main question is... is it worth spending what little money I have (tax return) to recertify, or are certifications not really that much of a big deal afterall?

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 9, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

UserErr0r posted:

My A+ and Security+ expire this May. They're my only two certifications. I have little to no professional experience (just two part time tech support jobs) and I don't have my BS in IT yet (just my AAS in IS&T). So I don't have much marketability going for me yet.

I'm having difficulty finding a job as-is. I figure that losing my two certifications will make me a little less hirable (unless it's okay to leave recently-expired certifications on a resume to show I was once knowledgeable to gain those certifications) for entry level jobs.

I also have very little money right now. Housing and food is fine, but beyond that I'm broke. Is it worth spending what little I've got to re-certify as Security+ or instead work on earning the Network+ (I assume either will renew my A+ automatically) if I do it before May), or should I just quit worrying about my certifications and let them expire (and maybe go back to them when I find a job)?

I know the A+ is rather worthless for anything but entry level jobs, but that's where I'm stuck at for the moment, and I have seen it listed as a requirement on job postings a few times already.

I've never had a hiring manager ask for verification info for my certs. You might be OK letting them expire so long as you clarify it if they ask about them.

An A+ might actually be a good thing, but MS has Second Shot vouchers going through May, so if you want to start towards one of them - assuming you're interested in Windows - that might help. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/second-shot.aspx

I honestly would renew the A+ over the Sec+, given that it might look better on paper if you list consecutive and progressive A+s. Maybe. I'm honestly not sure.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

UserErr0r posted:

http://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified.aspx

That's CompTIA's renewal policies. A lot of the higher level stuff will renew the lower level stuff automatically.

This is a list of "other" certifications and their CE values for various CompTIA certs. If you recert as a Sec+ it will renew your A+ (And your Net+ if you had one), but the Net+ will not renew the Sec+ (But will renew the A+). It may be better to get the Net+ for now and use the Sec+ to renew the Net+ later on down the line.

e: and the way CompTIA works, you only renew the "highest" level certification, and everything below it automatically renews as well.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've got my 074-410 tomorrow and I had a question:

Do they use abbreviations constantly throughout the exam? Things like AD LDS and the like?

I only ask because I'm doing some practice exams and they just throw a bunch of abbreviations at me with no description to what it's referring to but then tell you the full name of it when you get the answer wrong.