Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Abed would have had a field day with the way the Parks crew are always talking to the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Senor Tron posted:

Abed would have had a field day with the way the Parks crew are always talking to the camera.

An April and Annie pairing could have been magical. Also watching the Dean torment himself over Jeff or Chris again and again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

swickles posted:

An April and Annie pairing could have been magical. Also watching the Dean torment himself over Jeff or Chris again and again.

Chang would love Jerry. Magnitude could be a random citizen at a city council meeting.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brawnfire posted:

Aww whatever happened to crossovers?

Serious answer- the fracturing and ratings decline of audiences for network television means that crossovers make less and less sense to spend money on

A crossover episode is usually obscenely expensive to film because it's double the cast which exponentially increases production costs, not linearly; two five person cast half hours is much less expensive combined than one ten person cast hourlong

Then there's the question of how the budget will split for a crossover episode; this is actually a huge deal because television shows have season caps on their budget and if you exceed that as production it's a huge mess, and being forced to cover the cost of a crossover episode could easily kill the rest of the seasons budget

Then you get into studios, which finance most of the cost of production with a varying level of assistance from the network depending on a bunch of outside factors like syndication agreements, royalties, and network desire to keep the show going, but the big issue with say a pnr/community crossover is the former was funded by NBC universal studios, a division of NBC, and the latter is funded by sony. This means that NBC would be incentivized to force sony to shoulder all production costs for such a crossover (and budgetarily consider it a "community" episode) which sony would almost certainly never ever want to do- they want episodes made cheaply and having a double length one doesn't increase episode count and only inflates price to studio. If both community and pnr were owned by the same studio (which is how almost all crossovers happened in the first place) then it largely wouldn't matter; the 70s and 80s were dominated by studios running blocks of programming on the same network so crossovers, to them, generated really huge ratings for a comparatively low increase in overall cost, since most of that money was already spent either way

Finally you come down to physical production which is a huge deal for creative driven shows like pnr and community. The golden ideal of dan Harmon and mike schur sitting down and drafting an episode together would never ever happen because trying to wrangle both showrunners and their teams would be a crazy exercise in futility

I mean you're talking like 20+ writers in the same room trying to figure out how a show with a constant framing narrative that community almost never uses (except as meta humor in one episode) would work against the comparatively fantastic and completely experimental show that is community, I mean the syncopation and pacing of both shows humor is wildly incompatible, pnr for all it's lunacy is a relatively grounded show based around having fair-to-most of its humor landing in talking heads while community is the complete opposite

The crossover is dead because of a bunch of different factors, mostly financial, with "crossovers" now being almost entirely quick shoutouts/cameos, like the bobs burgers crossover with archer or the gravity falls and rick and morty "crossover"

Even the much-ballyhooed family guy/Simpsons crossover, which is easily the most famous crossover that's happened for at least...what, a decade? only happened because 1) family guy and Simpsons are both owned by 30th century fox 2) they're both the biggest and most popular shows on the network 3) they're both animated so production costs are less than if it were a live-action crossover and finally and most importantly 4) it was a family guy episode that happened to have Simpsons characters in it. It wasn't even really a "crossover" episode on the sense of any of the production team for Simpsons had any input on the final product, the family guy people hired the entire Simpsons cast for a sesh and placed the griffins in Springfield, there done

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Brawnfire posted:

Aww whatever happened to crossovers?

They crossed over into video games
and eventually lead to Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright
And it was beautiful

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cartoon Network announced that they're doing a Steven Universe/Uncle Grandpa crossover.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
Technically Community crossed over with CourgarTown!

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So Yahoo is distributing Community. Are they just going to upload their series to their site and it's for free or do you have to pay for a streaming service or something? I don't really get on yahoo at all so I'm not sure how they're going about this.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Spacebump posted:

Chang would love Jerry. Magnitude could be a random citizen at a city council meeting.

Abed would make documentaries about every single public meeting. He also wouldn't have screwed up filming the Time Capsule video. You had one job to do, Jerry.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Technically Community crossed over with CourgarTown!

Weren't those just quick guest star cameos though?

On proper modern crossovers there's always the superhero-shows like Arrow and Flash. They did an actual two-part story with the main cast members from both of the shows. And they're planning to do it yearly.

It's probably much easier when one show is a spin-off and they're both from the same company.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

adhuin posted:

Weren't those just quick guest star cameos though?

On proper modern crossovers there's always the superhero-shows like Arrow and Flash. They did an actual two-part story with the main cast members from both of the shows. And they're planning to do it yearly.

It's probably much easier when one show is a spin-off and they're both from the same company.

As awesome as the Arrow/Flash stuff was, calling it a two-part story isn't really right. More like two stories with the second being lightly foreshadowed in the first. I hope their next one is much more of a true crossover event.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Toxxupation posted:

The crossover is dead because of a bunch of different factors, mostly financial, with "crossovers" now being almost entirely quick shoutouts/cameos, like the bobs burgers crossover with archer or the gravity falls and rick and morty "crossover"

This year there was a 2 part crossover between SVU and Chicago PD. Granted they're both Dick Wolf shows produced by NBC, but still. The top billed stars on each show ended up on the other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Toxxupation posted:

Serious answer

One: whoa drat

Two: oh, drat

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still miss my Chris Meloni 90s throwback that was cancelled last year, but this'll take its place nicely.

Surviving Jack was great, RIP

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was it, couldn't think of the name. Yeah, it was a super fun show and it's a shame it never found an audience. Meloni always kills it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Does this mean we are getting a preview tomorrow?

edit: Yes it does.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 3, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Spacebump posted:

Does this mean we are getting a preview tomorrow?

edit: Yes it does.

Is that graphic a parody of something else?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Meatwave posted:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Meatwave posted:

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Edit: Beaten

Ricks
Nov 18, 2006
Trailer: http://screen.yahoo.com/community/community-season-six-trailer-premiere-175500821.html?fbmark=commq12015#CommunityLivesOn

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This doesn't play in the UK because "the content provider has not given us the rights to play this video in your location."

So, is Season Six not going to be available world wide? I know it's airing on UK TV the day after online release but what possible reason does Yahoo have not to at least have the trailer available everywhere?

EDIT: Oh, it's on YouTube for now any way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iJrZLi3Uo

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

gently caress yeah Jason Mantzoukas

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Looks pretty good, I just hope they get all all the meta references to cast members leaving out of the way quickly

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Pumped for the season. Good trailer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Immediately I noticed that it looks (visually) a lot more like Season One and Two, so either Yahoo increased the budget or they are handling their money a lot better.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah they said they were going back to the outdoor shots at the school from season 1. Great change.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Was that J.K. Simmons at 0:12?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Keith David stole every scene he was in.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gervasius posted:

That's what I thought, but it's such a quick shot of him I got whiplash.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
and jesus wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer

looking good community, lookin good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PriorMarcus posted:

Immediately I noticed that it looks (visually) a lot more like Season One and Two, so either Yahoo increased the budget or they are handling their money a lot better.

I heard McHale on a podcast (I think Girl on Guy) saying that he was amazed that they'd left NBC but got more money now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Stop saying "jesus wept".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I'm nobody's fourth Ghostbuster.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gervasius posted:

Nah, it's the Ladders teacher.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

How many episodes are in this season?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Let's crap out this crap.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Spacebump posted:

How many episodes are in this season?

13 episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hyped. Even out of context it's looking really fun. Stupid that Yahoo haven't been able to secure their own property within the UK, but not surprising based on their track record.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Are they releasing the whole season at once like netflix does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Thankfully no

• Locked thread