Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Just needed to knock over a drink or bowl of cheetos and you've got a perfect late night commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I needed a tool today at work, I'll need it again for certain so I thought I'd ask here. I basically needed either molegrips or a clamping adjustable spanner but with soft jaws to securely grip a smooth shaft :quagmire: without marring it. I realised I need these quite often for 6-30mm shafts as a lot of pneumatic components have smooth ground shafts with threaded ends and they don't always have flats for a spanner.

Any suggestions? It's not my money either :homebrew:
Butyl roof flashing stuck to the jaws of your preferred tool?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

I have a ~4"x4" piece of thin rubber I use with vise grips or channel locks when I'm worried about marring. Would get pretty annoying for constant shop use, though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ooh, clamping soft jaw pairs appears to be what I should have been searching for, thanks.

I've played with these, I'd need to use them in anger before I'd be convinced.

InitialDave posted:

Ahem. :homebrew:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Soft jaw = deformable jaw. Make sure your chosen tool will (pick 1) wear very slowly, reform quickly, or have easily-replaced cheap inserts.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

While that *seems* like a good idea, i bet if you need that you also need a funnel in order to have sex.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I need a small rolling shop stool. Kinda like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-mechanics-seat/p-00951164000P
But not made by Craftsman. My friends shop went through three of those due to the flimsy base (and daily use).

*Edit: Wow the HF version is identical and $20 vs $32 (with 25% off).

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 1, 2015

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Not adjustable, but I've never found one of those cheap center post seats that didn't turn into a lopsided wobbly piece of poo poo. These are great:
http://smile.amazon.com/Torin-Jack-TR6300-Creeper-Seat/dp/B000COC67E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425180192&sr=8-1&
Someday when I pick up a maxjax lift and can justify it, I'll pick up one of the ridiculously expensive Traxion seats with monster wheels that ARE worth a drat.

The whole "oh god how do I use a wrench!" part of this sales pitch is ridiculous, but the 30 degree swing and the teeth on the jaws are both pretty awesome. And Wera generally makes some pretty great poo poo. Expensive poo poo.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 1, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have those Wera Joker wrenches (upper right)

My verdict is that they're a bit on the gimmicky side. Being able to not slide on the nut is a nice feature, but not really needed much in practice.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

I need a small rolling shop stool. Kinda like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-mechanics-seat/p-00951164000P
But not made by Craftsman. My friends shop went through three of those due to the flimsy base (and daily use).

*Edit: Wow the HF version is identical and $20 vs $32 (with 25% off).

the HF ones suck nuts. The wheels strip out of there perspective holes. But if you could find a way to fix that there Ok. Mine has had a 4lb sledge tossed into the bottom a few times. Then a few days later I went to pick it up and two of the four wheels fell off. I have the one with four wheels and the flat base.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

Someday when I pick up a maxjax lift and can justify it, I'll pick up one of the ridiculously expensive Traxion seats with monster wheels that ARE worth a drat.

So kinda like mine, except mine is homemade. We had an old Powerfist convertible creeper (folds up into a creeper seat) sitting around the shop for ages with hosed up wheels and a tendency to try to fold back down to a creeper while you were sitting on it, I booger welded some angle iron to each corner and put the casters from my old Bone Rough Rider (which my old boss ran over) on it. I've snapchatted it at least once I think, because it looks so ridiculous (bone creeper casters have little wings on them :3:)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Speaking of Wera Joker, this guy must have too much disposable income:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

bolind posted:

An acquaintance of mine has one, it's pretty nice, but not sure if it's 1600 bucks nice. Hazet is pretty much Germany's Snap-On, though, it's very, very nice, and priced accordingly. I have a magnetic tray from them (my only Hazet piece) and it's so thoroughly engineered and a joy to use.

Heres one for half that on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hazet-166-N-Assistent-tool-trolley-new-/261792086592

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes, now it's only 900 bucks for a little red wagon and two tea trays.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm looking for a vise I can buy from a store for under $100. I've given up on finding a craigslist vise in my price range that isn't just a chinese vise I could buy in a store.

How are Irwin's vises? I played around with the 5-in. multipurpose vise at Lowe's and the mechanism was remarkably smooth.

Does Harbor Freight replace broken vises the way they do hand tools? I'm not planning on becoming a blacksmith, I just want to be able to stop securing things with a C-clamp.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cat Hatter posted:

Does Harbor Freight replace broken vises the way they do hand tools? I'm not planning on becoming a blacksmith, I just want to be able to stop securing things with a C-clamp.
No, they're not lifetime

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm looking for a vise I can buy from a store for under $100. I've given up on finding a craigslist vise in my price range that isn't just a chinese vise I could buy in a store.

How are Irwin's vises? I played around with the 5-in. multipurpose vise at Lowe's and the mechanism was remarkably smooth.

Not sure what size you are going for, but I have one of these HF vises:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-swivel-vise-with-anvil-67040.html

It's so-so, but certainly better than C-clamp for securing a work piece. I've abused it pretty badly over a couple of year now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The older and uglier the vice you buy the better it is.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Preoptopus posted:

The older and uglier the vice you buy the better it is.

And if it doesn't weigh a hundred pounds, it should at least look like it does.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bolind posted:

Speaking of Wera Joker, this guy must have too much disposable income:

This is what old main, rod, and diff bearing caps are for.

Aluminum ones from jeep d44a rear diffs (and vette rear 44s, but those are semi respected and should be sold to people instead of ripping them apart before scrapping them) are extra awesome because they don't even rust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So is there a cheap tool that'll let me press bushings out of a control arm? I don't have a vise (or anywhere to mount one) or any sort of C clamps. They're this style:

The one on the bottom left in particular looks like it'd be a pain in the rear end on a traditional shop press.

Or should I just take it to a shop with a 6-pack and have them do it for me?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

So is there a cheap tool that'll let me press bushings out of a control arm? I don't have a vise (or anywhere to mount one) or any sort of C clamps. They're this style:

The one on the bottom left in particular looks like it'd be a pain in the rear end on a traditional shop press.

Do you have a compressor? I always just knock em out with my air hammer using a cutter bit.
I suppose you could take time and use a hammer and a chisel. Im assuming they are not rusty at all.

Splurged on this today since Im finally down to paying/owing Snappy. Never again will I owe more than one guy.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=647601&group_ID=681943
its some anneversary edition tho and came with 2 shot glasses and 4 whiskey glasses in a nice wooden box.

Fucker ripped some 22mm lugs off a rusty old truck today like butter.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 5, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fucknag posted:

All that stuff is super easy with a press and adaptors/plates/etc. Just take it to a shop, give them some beer and let someone else do it in 30 seconds. Much easier than spending two hours loving around and swearing at it.

Even when i worked as a mechanic, with some stuff i'd just take it to a machine shop and let them deal with it, saved me a lot of hassle.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted:

All that stuff is super easy with a press and adaptors/plates/etc. Just take it to a shop, give them some beer and let someone else do it in 30 seconds. Much easier than spending two hours loving around and swearing at it.

Even when i worked as a mechanic, with some stuff i'd just take it to a machine shop and let them deal with it, saved me a lot of hassle.

Thinking about it this is totally what you should do. Easy Mode.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You know what they say, "Work smarter, not harder".

Unless you like being frustrated and potentially damaging your parts or tools.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Splurged on this today since Im finally down to paying/owing Snappy. Never again will I owe more than one guy.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=647601&group_ID=681943
its some anneversary edition tho and came with 2 shot glasses and 4 whiskey glasses in a nice wooden box.

Fucker ripped some 22mm lugs off a rusty old truck today like butter.

Very nice, but pricey!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Fucknag posted:

If you think you'll need to do it again:
http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

You can also just rent a tool just like that from O'Reilly's/AdvanceAuto/Autozone for free (w/ deposit).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jared592 posted:

If you think you'll need to do it again:
http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

You can also just rent a tool just like that from O'Reilly's/AdvanceAuto/Autozone for free (w/ deposit).

Yeah I tried Autozone, and was told they don't have anything like that in stock, either for sale or for tool loan.

These are new control arms that I'm swappin urethane bushings into; the ones on the car have both rotting bushings and destroyed ball joint boots (from my abortive attempt to separate them during my engine swap debacle). This way I can swap the bushings, replace the control arms at my leisure, then put the new rubber bushings into the old control arms and keep them as spares.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying I won't need to take the arms off the car and therefore be stuck doing it in my garage, so I think I'll just use a shop to do it.

E: I will get a proper press someday though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I know that Advance has a kit that's basically that Harbor Freight kit as a loaner tool. It is kind of pricey, though. I want to say it's 100+ dollars. You get that and tax back, but lots of people aren't prepared for that expense up front.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fucknag posted:

You can get small ones pretty cheap. They're not the best, but they're perfectly capable, i have a small 10T one that's great for stuff like that, wheel bearings, etc. Strong enough to do pretty much everything i need, yet small and light enough that i can put it in the car if i need to do a job on-site somewhere. HF will sell them fairly cheap.

A friend of mine worked at a dealer, and they bought a new big press. He asked them if i could borrow the old one and they said yes. He left shortly after and the press has been mine ever since. Thanks Skoda dealer!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Fucknag posted:

Yeah I tried Autozone, and was told they don't have anything like that in stock, either for sale or for tool loan.

These are new control arms that I'm swappin urethane bushings into; the ones on the car have both rotting bushings and destroyed ball joint boots (from my abortive attempt to separate them during my engine swap debacle). This way I can swap the bushings, replace the control arms at my leisure, then put the new rubber bushings into the old control arms and keep them as spares.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying I won't need to take the arms off the car and therefore be stuck doing it in my garage, so I think I'll just use a shop to do it.

They lied to you those jerks (or they didn't understand what you were asking for): http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/ball-joint-press

That said, yeah just get a shop to do it since it sounds like it's already becoming a hassle for you.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

QuarkMartial posted:

I know that Advance has a kit that's basically that Harbor Freight kit as a loaner tool. It is kind of pricey, though. I want to say it's 100+ dollars. You get that and tax back, but lots of people aren't prepared for that expense up front.

It's $160!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was going to get myself a HF tool cart because my tool box is maxed out. I got a coupon in the mail for the 4 drawer black cart for $108 and a 20% off coupon that would make the 5 drawer red cart $152.

I don't really need the extra space that the red cart affords, but I'm wondering if it would be higher enough quality to justify the $44.

Thoughts?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Uthor posted:

I was going to get myself a HF tool cart because my tool box is maxed out. I got a coupon in the mail for the 4 drawer black cart for $108 and a 20% off coupon that would make the 5 drawer red cart $152.

I don't really need the extra space that the red cart affords, but I'm wondering if it would be higher enough quality to justify the $44.

Thoughts?

Bigger is better.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My box is packed full. Snap-on dealer keeps nagging me to spend like 8k on a loving new box, even though i no longer work on cars, and 8k is what my car and van cost me, combined.

Ol' faithful eBay purchase well-used Snap-on box.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Thoughts?

Anytime I see this question it always boils down to color preference. I have the black one and it is amazing. I started out using it. The floors at that place were old and lovely and the casters survived. I once dropped a sebring on it and almost tossed the car off the lift. Thankfully the master techs pointing and laughing at me lead me to see what happened. It suffered a scuff while the sebring lost some clearcoat/paint on an already demolished bumper. I filled it with tools and lugged it everywhere for the past four years. And it still does everything I could want and more.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

Thoughts?

Double check the fine print on your coupons... all of the ones I've seen lately aren't valid for "tool storage" items.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Uthor posted:

Thoughts?

Always get biggest you can afford. You may not think you need the space then all of a sudden your cramming poo poo in. I bought a "big" craftsman box about 2 years ago and I have out grown it already. So I went out and bought an even bigger bottom box, and I am finding that I am planning on buying the top part now. And there is a side chest as well.

As general advice, air compressors, tool boxes, welders and a few other items I can't seem to think of off the top of my head, always get the biggest you can afford.

Every thing else I find is a "add or complete" as time goes on. I think of tools as an investment though, because quality tools can always be passed down, or sold for nearly the same price as new.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. That goes for portable toolbags, too. My junkyard toolbag is up to 125lbs now and there are still things I regularly wish I had with me.

e: this toolbag will happily haul around 120+ lbs of tools, tightly packed, and will last 6-12 months while being left sliding around in the bed of a pickup, a wheelbarrow, or on dirt. I strongly recommend it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-17-in-Open-Tool-Tote-82002N11/203224201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Question for any one who knows more than me.

I have found an air compressor that attaches to my folks JD 110 garden tractor, the tank is in good shape, but the compressor is hosed. I need to replace it but I need an Air powered head unloader.

It looks like this --->

I have no idea where to begin searching for this, as the compressors themselves are rare as gently caress. Luckily the tank is in decent shape.