Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SquadronROE posted:

I almost bought a house with a central vacuum cleaner. There was an outlet in each room you would plug the tube into, which also made a circuit connection that turned on the vacuum. Pretty cool tech for a house, but you're right. A blockage would take forever to clear.

Apparently they're still a thing!

http://www.beamvac.com/

Oh, certainly - I thought those were fairly common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DigitalRaven posted:

That's one of the things I loved about living & working in Germany. Friends & family come to visit, and it's the word you reach for. "Don't worry, I've got mein handy with me, just give me a call."

Haven't lived there for 13 years, I still call my phone a handy.

To be fair; if you ever drop your phone, yelling "MEIN HANDY" does seem pretty appropriate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's an obsolete thing: a separate word for mobile phones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Thanks. And here's an interesting thing:

I work in a Victorian building in the middle of London, and this is what remains of what was at the time an extremely fancy bit of technology. From the company of Hubert Cecil Booth, inventor of the vacuum cleaner, this is the socket of a building size cleaning device. Back at the dawn of the 20th century they weren't sure whether the future lay in self-contained vacuum pumps to clean buildings or centralised fixtures. My building made the wrong call.

The pipes connect to a disused, miles long, vacuum tube system that terminates in the cellar where a huge industrial sucking and filtration machine once sat. This thing cost an absolute fortune, but the pipes had a tendency to block up the with crap sucked out of the carpets, and figuring out where the blockage was apparently took forever. It was only used for a couple of years before they switched to semi-recognisable compact vacuum cleaners like this:

I love the story of how Booth came up with the vacuum cleaner. He'd gone to some demonstration a guy was giving of his revolutionary dust removing device. Booth observed that the device was merely blowing dust around the room, and that a real removing device would suck up the dust instead. "Sucking is impossible", said the rival inventor, upon which Booth demonstrated that it was not by personally sucking the dust off the settee. He proved his point, but nearly choked to death on dust in the process.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I would love to be in a store to witness a German immigrant asking the sales lady for a handy.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's an obsolete thing: a separate word for mobile phones.

Which reminds me: people referring to television sets as "flatscreens" when it's been years since they stopped selling (and probably manufacturing) new non-flat screens. Bonus if they are referring to them as though they were some kind of extravagant luxury item even though they are considerably cheaper than CRTs with similar screen sizes were back in the day.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Jedit posted:

I love the story of how Booth came up with the vacuum cleaner. He'd gone to some demonstration a guy was giving of his revolutionary dust removing device. Booth observed that the device was merely blowing dust around the room, and that a real removing device would suck up the dust instead. "Sucking is impossible", said the rival inventor, upon which Booth demonstrated that it was not by personally sucking the dust off the settee. He proved his point, but nearly choked to death on dust in the process.

That's loving hilarious.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

"Sucking is impossible", said the rival inventor,

I knew my ex was lying.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Which reminds me: people referring to television sets as "flatscreens" when it's been years since they stopped selling (and probably manufacturing) new non-flat screens. Bonus if they are referring to them as though they were some kind of extravagant luxury item even though they are considerably cheaper than CRTs with similar screen sizes were back in the day.

I have a flatscreen CRT screen in my room. It's mostly used for my PlayStation to sit on, or sometimes as a temporary place to leave something.

Amusingly, I remember the left and right edges of whatever was showing on TV looking odd, because apparently the image that was being signaled was curved, so as to appear normal on curved screens. Not sure if that's true or not, but it always struck me as that kind of thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kopijeger posted:

My parents still mention that they "taped" a show, even though they haven't actually recorded TV onto VHS in a decade. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

stealie72 posted:

Those arent that obsolete. I was using one to play my iPod and then my phone through an old boombox in my workshop until a couple years ago.

If you want really obsolete car tech, you want the converter that let you play cassettes in your car's 8 track player.

A few pages late, but if you want really really obsolete car tech look no further than an 8 track FM adapter:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

carry on then posted:

My parents still mention that they "taped" a show, even though they haven't actually recorded TV onto VHS in a decade. :v:

I still use that too. (34).

I wonder if anyone born after 2005 is going to wonder why the universal symbol for rolling down your window is moving your hand in a circle. Do they even make cars without power windows anymore?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

AFewBricksShy posted:

I still use that too. (34).

I wonder if anyone born after 2005 is going to wonder why the universal symbol for rolling down your window is moving your hand in a circle. Do they even make cars without power windows anymore?

Why's the save button in my computer this blue lego block?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did someone mention the envelope icon yet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

Why's the save button in my computer this blue lego block?

Yeah that's a big problem in UI, especially Apple.

Pretty soon even poo poo like the shape of a non-cellphone phone is going to be alien to most people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty soon even poo poo like the shape of a non-cellphone phone is going to be alien to most people.

Not to mention the shape of a cellphone has changed quite a bit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Do they even make cars without power windows anymore?

Yes.

Not a lot of them, but they make a token "base model" for your cheaper economy cars for three reasons:

1) So dealerships can charge you extra to "upgrade" to models with power windows and locks.

2) So rental agencies have literally the cheapest cars they can possibly get to rent out when you select the "economy" option.

3) When car manufacturers have to give you a new car for whatever reason.

I only include the last one because it happened to a friend of mine. He had a recall on his Toyota pickup, and in trying to fix it, the dealership actually hosed it up so bad it couldn't be safely driven, so Toyota got him a new car...but damned if they were going to spend more money than they had to. No power anything, no CD player/stereo with an AUX/USB/Bluetooth input, etc... And this was in 2010 or 2011, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can't think of anything that comes with hand crank windows in the US at this point. Even the cheapest Versa, which stickers for about $11K, has electric window regulators. I poked around a few other economy cars - same thing. This is because they are cheaper and significantly simplify both the supply chain and the manufacturing process.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I see broken power windows often enough that I can see the point in having manual ones.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

SquadronROE posted:

I almost bought a house with a central vacuum cleaner. There was an outlet in each room you would plug the tube into, which also made a circuit connection that turned on the vacuum. Pretty cool tech for a house, but you're right. A blockage would take forever to clear.

Apparently they're still a thing!

http://www.beamvac.com/

this is just stupid. how much harder is it to carry a small vacuum cleaner? some don't even need a cord.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rambling Robot posted:

this is just stupid. how much harder is it to carry a small vacuum cleaner? some don't even need a cord.

One selling point that was pretty valid at least ten years or more ago was that "regular" vacuum cleaners pushed most of the poo poo they sucked up straight out of their asses into the air whereas central vacuums would suck it... somewhere else so you don't have to breath it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't think of anything that comes with hand crank windows in the US at this point. Even the cheapest Versa, which stickers for about $11K, has electric window regulators. I poked around a few other economy cars - same thing. This is because they are cheaper and significantly simplify both the supply chain and the manufacturing process.

I only looked at the cheapest car I could think of, but in the UK you can in fact buy a car with manual rear windows:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's a huge market for super-cheap small cars in the UK - I can't think what the model's called, but the one I'm thinking of has a rear 'door' that just lifts the back windscreen with a single gas strut. It was designed to BE cheap, without cutting corners, so it includes details like that, as well as obvious cost-cutting like manual windows.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a huge market for super-cheap small cars in the UK - I can't think what the model's called, but the one I'm thinking of has a rear 'door' that just lifts the back windscreen with a single gas strut. It was designed to BE cheap, without cutting corners, so it includes details like that, as well as obvious cost-cutting like manual windows.

Toyota Aygo aka Peugeot 107 aka Citroën C1, though most of the sales were probably of the higher-spec model with electric windows etc.

It also has a super-frugal 1.0L 3-cylinder that is absolutely hilarious to flog the poo poo out of.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Toyota Aygo aka Peugeot 107 aka Citroën C1, though most of the sales were probably of the higher-spec model with electric windows and a radio etc.

It also has a super-frugal 1.0L 3-cylinder that is absolutely hilarious to flog the poo poo out of.

Hah. I've had to drive those before, they're basically a lawnmower with bodywork made of recycled beer cans. Press the accelerator and in the lower gears you stand a chance of speeding up sometime tomorrow.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DigitalRaven posted:

Hah. I've had to drive those before, they're basically a lawnmower with bodywork made of recycled beer cans. Press the accelerator and in the lower gears you stand a chance of speeding up sometime tomorrow.

Handles like a go-kart though, because it's so stripped-back.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zaphod42 posted:

I rather like this icon to signify "download":

i.e. the reverse of the "share" icon. Safari iOS already does it this way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DigitalRaven posted:

This isn't my experience of them, albeit I've driven in one with I think the 1.4 engine - even with four people, one of whom is around 200lb, it still have a god amount of go to it.

I thought it was the Aygo, but the newer models are a lot bigger and less cheap-looking.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

This isn't my experience of them, albeit I've driven in one with I think the 1.4 engine - even with four people, one of whom is around 200lb, it still have a god amount of go to it.

I thought it was the Aygo, but the newer models are a lot bigger and less cheap-looking.

The car club here has the lowest possible spec from about 2012. It's fine 0-25, but beyond that it refuses to do anything. Worse, as soon as you start going up a hill (and everywhere here is uphill), forget it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Grim Up North posted:

I only looked at the cheapest car I could think of, but in the UK you can in fact buy a car with manual rear windows:

Good news!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

pretty sure they're going to understand rollup windows unless every kid born after 2005 is upper-middle class, dude

new cars aren't exactly cheap for most people

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

or they'll understand it because they're not retarded and can figure it out. and I'd imagine a new signal will emerge anyhow, eventually.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Jerry Cotton posted:

One selling point that was pretty valid at least ten years or more ago was that "regular" vacuum cleaners pushed most of the poo poo they sucked up straight out of their asses into the air whereas central vacuums would suck it... somewhere else so you don't have to breath it.

My brother installed one in his house. He has two cats and a dog, so he has to vacuum a lot and likes the fact that the central vacuum is quieter than a regular one. His pets are still terrified of it though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

My brother installed one in his house. He has two cats and a dog, so he has to vacuum a lot and likes the fact that the central vacuum is quieter than a regular one. His pets are still terrified of it though.

He should train them to like being vacuumed. Of course that doesn't make things easier for the cleaner.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Christmas Present posted:

pretty sure they're going to understand rollup windows unless every kid born after 2005 is upper-middle class, dude

new cars aren't exactly cheap for most people

That's why I said 2005. The bulk of cars on the road are from 1995 on (based purely upon only my personal drive every day, the actual statistics are probably way lower), and I'd venture to say that easily 90% of cars made from 2000 on have electric windows, again pulling statistics out of my rear end.

Just looked it up and the average age of a car is 11.5 years old.
My lovely '89 lesabre had them, so that's what I'm going off of.

Edit: according to a news report, 80% of cars sold in 2004 had power windows, and in 2012 it was 95%. This backs up anything I posted above 0%

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Mar 4, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's why I said 2005. The bulk of cars on the road are from 1995 on (based purely upon only my personal drive every day, the actual statistics are probably way lower), and I'd venture to say that easily 90% of cars made from 2000 on have electric windows, again pulling statistics out of my rear end.

Just looked it up and the average age of a car is 11.5 years old.
My lovely '89 lesabre had them, so that's what I'm going off of.
Now tell me about trains.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Humphreys posted:

'Cell phones' were the original given name to a cordless phone that could be accessed on certain public areas like a hotspot (think cordless payphone booth).

That reminds me. My local train station has what must be one of the last surviving Rabbit signs left in the country.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

There's one in my current house and it's pretty good. It has strong suction and never clogs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pienipple posted:

There's one in my current house and it's pretty good. It has strong suction and never clogs.

Yeah my parents have a central vac in their house, it's pretty awesome and hasn't clogged once in 17 years. They've had one problem, the motor wore out last year but it was covered under warranty. Every so often my dad feeds it a handful of walnut/hazelnut/pistachio shells or some pennies to help ream out the lines, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least the SMART and Fiesta have crank windows as standard.