Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Episode 2 is up on the Playstation Store now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Protip for the PS4 Aussies: it's still not up on the PS4's PSN, but it was released at midnight on the website version (:iiam:). If told to from the website, your PS4 will happily download it while swearing blind it doesn't exist

edit: Also, ep 2's new Raid character (immediately unlocked anyway, there are 2 more I don't know) is Leon, who has some rather interesting skills.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Baseless plot speculation ahead for Revelations 2: My bet is that by the end of the last episode the Claire side of the story will involve Moire sacrificing herself so that Claire can get cured and/or take a shot at the facility's overseer. On the barry side, he winds up finding Claire and they have to team up to fight BOW-ed up Moire or Natalia. Even using Resident Evil Plot Logic I just don't see Claire and Moira holding out for 6 months while infected with a plot virus without one or the other dying and/or turning into a new weapon.

Edit: vvvv I would bet since Microsoft backed off on shutting down GFWL that they are fighting tooth and nail to keep PC games on the system and relevant.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 3, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/post/35024

Blame Microsoft for RE 5 Steamworks being delayed.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
With the Steamworks version of RE5 looming it might be a good idea to save your GFWL CD-key just in case we can redeem them later, on another Steam account. This worked with Super Street Fighter IV. Gift copies for everyone!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I don't think I've ever enjoyed totally invisible enemies in a game

Positive thing, though (big spoiler for the end of episode 2): Wesker looks great. I'm glad they didn't go with 'lady in a trenchcoat with sunglasses', because the weird cloaked respirator monster is gnarly as hell and I like it a lot.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Looks like the ps4 season pass is borked for a lot of folks, myself included. It only provides episode 1 and Hunk right now; it "sees" episode 2 from time to time but can't get it

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Grey Fox posted:

Looks like the ps4 season pass is borked for a lot of folks, myself included. It only provides episode 1 and Hunk right now; it "sees" episode 2 from time to time but can't get it

Mine doesn't "see" the season pass, but downloading the episode from the PS Store is marked as free and worked fine. It STILL doesn't "see" my season pass, but I can play the episode.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

weird. for me, episode 2 in the PS Store looks like any other unpurchased product and can't be downloaded directly

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Grey Fox posted:

weird. for me, episode 2 in the PS Store looks like any other unpurchased product and can't be downloaded directly

Pull it up on your phone/PC browser and it should show as free. From there you just confirm it and you can set it to start downloading right to your PS4.

I set that up at work and it was ready when I came home.

Speaking of, I did just beat it. about 5 minutes ago. I like that they do the Alex Wesker reveal in Barry's story first. I hope this means we get to see Clair pox her in her story in the upcoming weeks. Aside from that I still feel the same as the first episode. Claire's stuff is generally way harder than Barry's. I didn't even get hit once during Barry's chapter.

Also during Claire's chapter 2 was I the only one that purposely skipped the second shotgun thinking I would be coming through that area as Barry?

Edit: New characters for Raid mode are weird mechanically.

Leon's (unlocked by default) skills lean him toward melee but he also has 3 gun slots really early and very few passive skill slots, basically the logical opposite of how Wesker or Moire are set up.

Single player spoilers ahead: Pedro get's Claire's Halo shield and 3 gun slots by default. He also has an active skill that makes him charge in a straight line and does more damage than explosive grenades on a 120 second cooldown by default. Gabe has 1 weapon slot until level 25, but starts with Scavenger and an active skill that does damage in an area around him that has both charges and a cooldown time. I'm not sure he's going to be any good without some major skill behind him, but he seems to be the kind of guy you want to get a bunch of Active skills rolling on very quickly, so if that's how you roll then it could work.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Just finished the chapter and am I the only one who busted out laughing at the whole bit toward the end of Claire's route with Gabe and the chopper? When I didn't see his body in the cockpit later I was kinda bracing for him to pop out all gnarly in the next room, but nope, Pedro out of nowhere.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So it says I have episode 2 but won't me play it, yet still prompts me to purchase it. :confused:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Also during Claire's chapter 2 was I the only one that purposely skipped the second shotgun thinking I would be coming through that area as Barry?

Did it work? Did he get the weapon?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Alteisen posted:

So it says I have episode 2 but won't me play it, yet still prompts me to purchase it. :confused:

Restarting Steam fixed this for me.

Also am I bad at the game or is Survival difficulty for Claire's chapters kind of total bullshit? I really dig the atmosphere of the game but it's ruined by how frustrating the combat set pieces are. I control Moira most of the time because Claire is constantly on the brink of death and the devs haven't realized how incredibly annoying and overused the bloody screen/heart beat effects are. And on the subject of blood, I feel like the game shouldn't even have the bleeding mechanic. I get that I got hit hard, please don't punish me by requiring a special healing item that consumes a green herb to craft, and don't make my AI ally use my green herbs while I"m still bleeding.

I quit about midway because the levels are just filled with ironhead enemies, and it's not succeeding in being scary or being fun, and Resident Evil has always been the latter and sometimes the former for me. :smith:

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Speedball posted:

Did it work? Did he get the weapon?
I don't even think you go into that room as Barry?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

gullah jack posted:

I don't even think you go into that room as Barry?
Nope. In that same room there's a radio playing russian, anyone know what it says?

I feel like there was a door that you never open with the drill in this episode, may be my imagination though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Watching a Steam friend play through the newest Raid gauntlets and holy poo poo, it's all the places you loved from RE6 with half the framerate! I seriously don't know what to say when he can run RE6 just fine in the same exact place he's currently playing through right now, but without his framerate curling itself into a ball and dying.

Also 90% of the new Raid mode content are RE6 levels.

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 4, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah seriously, gently caress. The FPS really hits my enjoyment of raid mode. :(

Speaking of which any advice for those tumour fuckers? Without Natalia I just spray and hope to hit the weak point.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's also inconsistent to all hell and back. Dark metro tunnel with one source of light? 15fps. Weird multiplatform level with dozens of light sources? 60fps without a drop. Hit an enemy? Whoops, back to 20. Plane cabin? 30fps. Looked at the ceiling? 5! It's insane.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So since I returned Rev2 like chump I used the cash to grab Resident Evil 5.

Once we finish this I was thinking of just getting 6 instead of hopping back onto Rev 2.
So for it should I be doing specific chapters in order?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Once we finish this I was thinking of just getting 6 instead of hopping back onto Rev 2.

There is a chronology to the chapters but it's not super important. You can go through Leon's campaign, then Chris', then Jake's and finally Ada's without missing anything. But if you want to do it chronologically or in a way the story flows well then it'd be Chris 1 -> Chris 2 -> Jake 1 -> Jake 2 -> Leon 1 -> Leon 2 -> Leon 3 -> Jake 3 -> Chris 3 -> Jake 4 -> Leon 4 -> Chris 4 -> Jake 5 -> Chris 5 -> Leon 5 -> All of Ada's campaign.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Basically the only thing you want to avoid doing is playing Ada's campaign first, as that'll spoil the plot of all the others (not that the plot's any good, really). Aside from that, pretty much everyone I've ever spoken to about RE6 has a different opinion on which campaigns they liked more than others, so I'd just jump into whichever one you feel like. Personally I wouldn't have thought it'd be an especially good idea to jump between chapters of different campaigns, but then again I didn't play it that way, so maybe that's fun too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Leon's first chapters are the worst in the game so I'd get them out of the way first. However, I'd recommend looking up the various moves you can do, and practice them in Mercenaries before jumping in. You'll probably enjoy it more that way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Leon he appears to have been inserted into Raid mode with episode 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Leon's first chapters are the worst in the game so I'd get them out of the way first. However, I'd recommend looking up the various moves you can do, and practice them in Mercenaries before jumping in. You'll probably enjoy it more that way.

Everyone says that but I actually found the gun shop sequence in particular to be pretty cool. It was Jake's first two chapters that annoyed me the most.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Everyone says that but I actually found the gun shop sequence in particular to be pretty cool. It was Jake's first two chapters that annoyed me the most.

Every campaign has its absolutely direst point(s): the stealth section and the snowbike escape in Jake's, Ada's "HEY IS THIS SHIP ONCE AGAIN AIN'T THIS FUN" and anything stealth related, Chris' Mario Kart Chase, Leon's whole Campus ordeal and rope climbing...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Renoistic posted:

We'll probably skip practicing moves but thanks I thought six would just be more like 4 & 5 in the moveset department.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

We'll probably skip practicing moves but thanks I thought six would just be more like 4 & 5 in the moveset department.

No, you really, really should practice the moves. One of RE 6's biggest problems is that the game doesn't explain any of the new mechanics at all and the tutorial is completely useless so people end up playing it like RE 4 and 5 and then get angry, frustrated and quit. You can do a lot of technical stuff in RE 6 involving melee combat which has a much bigger role and quickshots which are fast and effective stuns that make the game much more fun whenever it's not a dumb scripted setpiece like anything Azran said but you will need to look them up online and then try them out in Mercenaries mode or something first.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Most important ones: quick shot, slide while planting C4, jumping back (preferably after dropping a grenade close-by) and the whole when and where of melee: contextual melee, coup de grace, setup of stunned enemies and counters. And that you can kill people with a flashbang :v:

And then there's Jake's melee system. Oh boy.

The system itself is really good and I wish Rev2 had it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All that stuff sounds insane. We'll play around then with them once we do a few campaign levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got fixes, or at least some help, with the outdoor framerate problems? Fighting Revenants is no fun at all.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
I just wish the RE6 counter button was assigned to someplace else. It seems very counter to the style of play to feature it on the right trigger.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I wouldn't exactly say you need to practice, it's more like you should read up on some of the moves you can do before you start playing the game, just so you're aware of your options before you get into combat. There's a wealth of options in the mechanics, and they're absolutely fantastic. The problem is that very little of this is mentioned in-game, and it's usually horrendously explained when it is. Here's a nice little short guide that should explain some of the things the game doesn't bother with. I'd recommend giving it a skim before you start, and then you're probably set!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is there a list somewhere of the unique differences between Raid characters? Like, starting slots/skills unique to them/etc?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Speaking of moves, how does the charge melee ability work in Rev 2? Holding down R2 just makes rapid slashes. Charge shot works fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OxMan posted:

Speaking of moves, how does the charge melee ability work in Rev 2? Holding down R2 just makes rapid slashes. Charge shot works fine.

Charge is for the context-sensitive melee attacks, not the knife slashes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

smenj posted:

Here's a nice little short guide that should explain some of the things the game doesn't bother with. I'd recommend giving it a skim before you start, and then you're probably set!
Wow reading through that it sounds like it's way more melee focused. Now I want to skip the rest of 5 and start this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Wow reading through that it sounds like it's way more melee focused. Now I want to skip the rest of 5 and start this.

RE5 is also super melee focused. If you haven't been using Chris and Sheva's melee attacks you may want to reconsider.

Both, for example, have a neck-targeted instant-kill move. You can do it easily by shooting enemies in the knee so they drop then run past them. The moment the move name changes to neck break/throat slit hit the button and boom, instant dead enemy for only 1 bullet and they can't spawn Plagas.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

RE5 is also super melee focused. If you haven't been using Chris and Sheva's melee attacks you may want to reconsider.

Both, for example, have a neck-targeted instant-kill move. You can do it easily by shooting enemies in the knee so they drop then run past them. The moment the move name changes to neck break/throat slit hit the button and boom, instant dead enemy for only 1 bullet and they can't spawn Plagas.

We're still melee focused in 5 but it boils down to: shoot knees, uppercut/snap neck.

6 sounds like they went much further with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azran posted:

Every campaign has its absolutely direst point(s): the stealth section and the snowbike escape in Jake's, Ada's "HEY IS THIS SHIP ONCE AGAIN AIN'T THIS FUN" and anything stealth related, Chris' Mario Kart Chase, Leon's whole Campus ordeal and rope climbing...

I actually like Leon's campus ordeal...with the cavet that I liked it for atmosphere and the setting itself vs game play per se (but it does pick up quickly. One think I liked is that while the game still had its wacky secret facilities, the design of the city and it's layout...actually made sense.

No disagreement on the stealth parts....bleh that's why I never really bother much with Jakes campaign after a certain point.

RE6 has one of the most varied campaigns in gaming and hell at the very least of the series. It's almost like Capcom wanted to experiment and use feedback for where to move the series next. I loved the variety though.