Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So I was looking at the crowd stats for last year, and found a few things that are pretty interesting.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=A&h=A

Bombers drew monster crowds in spite of being mediocre and hamstrung by idiocy. Melbourne still gets an average crowd of 30,000 in spite of being comically awful. GWS, despite being as if not more comically awful and brand spanking new in a relatively hostile area, still get 10,000~ people to their home games.

I can't help but wonder what will happen when these 3 actually develop legitmately good teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

So I was looking at the crowd stats for last year, and found a few things that are pretty interesting.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=A&h=A

Bombers drew monster crowds in spite of being mediocre and hamstrung by idiocy. Melbourne still gets an average crowd of 30,000 in spite of being comically awful. GWS, despite being as if not more comically awful and brand spanking new in a relatively hostile area, still get 10,000~ people to their home games.

I can't help but wonder what will happen when these 3 actually develop legitmately good teams.

Our average is even a little low on that because of the home games we played at TIO(freo, 9290) and TIO Traeger(port, 5655), if you replace those crowd figures with the crowds we got playing them at home the year before(freo @ mcg, 13768 :stare:; port@MCG, 22924) you get an average increase of 988.5 over the season. The port number is a bit inflated imo because it was a round 1 game in 2013 and some idiots(I think me included?) thought we should probably beat port at the MCG, but even accounting for that it would bump us properly over the 30k mark.

Also

quote:

:crossarms:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

For the younger kids and lesser injuries, it really fucks their season as well - especially leg injuries. You lose your match fitness after 2 or so weeks of no mileage, so you can imagine how out of shape (in relative terms) you would be trying to come back immediately. Even then you have to fight for your spot back unless you're an absolute lock in. I agree that the NAB cup shouldn't even be this long, and should be for rookies/young players to get match experience against other AFL sides. They shouldn't be running majority of the senior list in matches still nearly 2 months out from the season proper.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Surely if it's about people going too hard too soon, then having practice matches lessens injury compared to dumping people immediately into round 1 when things actually matter.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Are there bench and sub limits during the pre season?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

Surely if it's about people going too hard too soon, then having practice matches lessens injury compared to dumping people immediately into round 1 when things actually matter.

Sure, but you can do this in a controlled environment against teammates who you know aren't going to drill you. One hitout before the season is fine, but the Eagles are playing 4 matches before the season begins. We've lost 3 players because of it thus far, one of which is for the entire season. We even play Freo in the last NAB cup match, which brings some ferocity regardless of what time of year it is. I'd rather that be the sole curtain raiser to be honest.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Diet Crack posted:

Sure, but you can do this in a controlled environment against teammates who you know aren't going to drill you.

A fractured skull in Adelaide is the exception in this case. Injuries are a part of sport. Simple as that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Exactly, but the less games you play before the season, the less likely it will happen. poo poo like this happens even at training on a fairly frequent basis, there's really no avoiding it - all you can do is minimize the amount of full run, full contact.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Spedman posted:

Are there bench and sub limits during the pre season?

There's no rotation cap, think the bench is larger too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Diet Crack posted:

We even play Freo in the last NAB cup match, which brings some ferocity regardless of what time of year it is. I'd rather that be the sole curtain raiser to be honest.

I'm never happy to see this on the cards, the Freo WC games always end up being far more intense than they need to be for a pre-season match (and post season too after the punch up in London a few years ago).

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Good to see Essendon have learnt some valuable lessons about creating cults of personality with bringing kevin sheedy back to the club for reasons.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
More injury news: Farren Ray is out for the first 2 months of the H&A season after blowing up the tendon in his right hammy. Savage and Roberton both did hammies on the same day as Ray but luckily are not nearly as bad and they should be ready for round 1.

Most people don't rate Ray very highly but he's been a solid contributor for a very long time now and we need all the experience and depth we can get at the moment. The only upside is that Ray being out will give more time for a kid to play.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

More injury news: Farren Ray is out for the first 2 months of the H&A season after blowing up the tendon in his right hammy. Savage and Roberton both did hammies on the same day as Ray but luckily are not nearly as bad and they should be ready for round 1.

Most people don't rate Ray very highly but he's been a solid contributor for a very long time now and we need all the experience and depth we can get at the moment. The only upside is that Ray being out will give more time for a kid to play.

Big kick in the teeth isnt it. Still we have been lucky with injuries so far vs the other teams so it was only inevitable. But yes, losing Ray is going to be a problem due to his experience.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Big kick in the teeth isnt it. Still we have been lucky with injuries so far vs the other teams so it was only inevitable. But yes, losing Ray is going to be a problem due to his experience.

Yeah, I'd much prefer our injuries to the ACL's we've been seeing. It's just kinda annoying that we've had 4 hammies in the last week. The Saints have been talking about how we've upped the running and fitness - which is a good thing - but I just hope it doesn't cost us too much in injuries.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
How have i never noticed that there is an AFL Thread??

Where are all these Tigers members coming from? At the moment they are sitting just above the Hawks in Membership numbers. In 2010 they only had 35K as opposed to the Hawks 53K! Are they selling them to pets like the dees and adding that to the numbers?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Camping.. Intense! posted:

How have i never noticed that there is an AFL Thread??

Where are all these Tigers members coming from? At the moment they are sitting just above the Hawks in Membership numbers. In 2010 they only had 35K as opposed to the Hawks 53K! Are they selling them to pets like the dees and adding that to the numbers?

Richmond have always been a baffingly popular club, with arguably the most insane fans. They made the finals the last two years (and how glorious their appearances were) so that would help member numbers.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

with arguably the most insane fans.

The other day a cop told me that Richmond is the worst club for incidents at Etihad.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
One of the Melbourne supporters on big footy swears up and down they witnessed a Richmond supporter taking a poo poo at their seat at the MCG

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Richmond and Melbourne get consistently excellent attendances relative to their ladder positions. Unless they are also bringing those pets to the games those members are mostly paid up human beings.

What may be inflating the numbers is the selling of 3 or even 1 game memberships, which allow you to nominally call yourself a member even though you only have time to turn up to a few marquee matches a year. These are good options for people who may have life commitments that dont allow for the footy but still wish to support their club financially.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I get counted as a Melbourne member as a I think $60 no attendance add on to my MCC membership.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've been a interstate member all the time, which is usually five games plus away members tickets to the game/s in my state. Of late, I can usually only manage to come down once or twice a year though and usually try to tie it in with some other things to do.

Sydney is an obscenely expensive city to visit with no good cheap accommodation options (I had to go on one occasion last year and that blew my travel budget for the year), at least with Melbourne I know which of the "cheap" hotels are comfortable and which ones to avoid.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also in terms of Melbourne having relatively good crowds regardless of performance, surveys of supporter numbers compared to membership has consistently shown Melbourne as one of the highest supporter to member conversion rates. There simply arent that many fair weather or non committal Melbourne supporters around, which while it sounds nice to say in terms of a "we have a committed and passionate fan base", it means you don't get a massive uptick in memberships when you go up the ladder for a while like other clubs can.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gough Suppressant posted:

Also in terms of Melbourne having relatively good crowds regardless of performance, surveys of supporter numbers compared to membership has consistently shown Melbourne as one of the highest supporter to member conversion rates. There simply arent that many fair weather or non committal Melbourne supporters around, which while it sounds nice to say in terms of a "we have a committed and passionate fan base", it means you don't get a massive uptick in memberships when you go up the ladder for a while like other clubs can.

really? if the dees ever made the 8, i'd bandwagon the poo poo out of them.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

I've been a interstate member all the time, which is usually five games plus away members tickets to the game/s in my state. Of late, I can usually only manage to come down once or twice a year though and usually try to tie it in with some other things to do.

Sydney is an obscenely expensive city to visit with no good cheap accommodation options (I had to go on one occasion last year and that blew my travel budget for the year), at least with Melbourne I know which of the "cheap" hotels are comfortable and which ones to avoid.

airbnb bro

Volkerball posted:

really? if the dees ever made the 8, i'd bandwagon the poo poo out of them.

Tigers for me. Every year I hope they are actually good instead of just funny. I guess I get my entertainment either way but still

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Sleep in someone's skanky sunroom?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Sleep in someone's skanky sunroom?

If your budget is 30$ a night, then yeah thats probably what you will wind up with.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Are they selling them to pets like the dees and adding that to the numbers?
You're thinking of Collingwood and Hawthorn there

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

Tigers for me. Every year I hope they are actually good instead of just funny. I guess I get my entertainment either way but still

I used to think this until I started meeting more Richmond supporters at work and through friends and the like. It tipped the scales after they beat Geelong that one time in the preseason (even before the NAB cup began) when Geelong either won the flag or lost it the year before. Their supporters were off the walls claiming this meant they had arrived. That finally they were a lock for the premiership that year (not top 8, premiership). So when they got absolutely slaughtered by Carlton in round 1 it was so so good. Their game vs Port last year was just the best thing ever after they were all swinging dicks about their winning streak and beating Sydney. So, of the poo poo teams, go Dees!

I still put Carlton and Hawthorn ahead of them as my least favourite, but watching Richmond lose is just a pleasure unto it's own. As an Essendon fan, I have had to find other avenues of pleasure outside of my own club full of fuckwits the past few years, of course.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
for real, there's no team i would bandwagon harder than st kilda

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
they could beat the suns in the gf and i would still be like :unsmith:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Eh I'd put Footscray ahead. So many preliminary final heartbreaks through the years.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It's so weird, Port were abysmal a few years ago with no signs of looking good, and I didn't particularly care to see them do good. "gently caress Port", was about the mindset. Then they turned good, not only good, but playing really attractive footy and I totally bandwagoned them in the last 2 finals.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Eh I'd put Footscray ahead. So many preliminary final heartbreaks through the years.

This is the true correct answer though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only way I would like to see Port make the GF is if they were on the end of another hammering that broke their 119 record.

I don't bandwagon other teams, when the Crows are done for the season I pretty much am as well.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Volkerball posted:

for real, there's no team i would bandwagon harder than st kilda

Bandwagoning St Kilda killed(?) Oystertoadfish

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

I used to think this until I started meeting more Richmond supporters at work and through friends and the like. It tipped the scales after they beat Geelong that one time in the preseason (even before the NAB cup began) when Geelong either won the flag or lost it the year before. Their supporters were off the walls claiming this meant they had arrived. That finally they were a lock for the premiership that year (not top 8, premiership). So when they got absolutely slaughtered by Carlton in round 1 it was so so good. Their game vs Port last year was just the best thing ever after they were all swinging dicks about their winning streak and beating Sydney. So, of the poo poo teams, go Dees!

I still put Carlton and Hawthorn ahead of them as my least favourite, but watching Richmond lose is just a pleasure unto it's own. As an Essendon fan, I have had to find other avenues of pleasure outside of my own club full of fuckwits the past few years, of course.

I like most of the Tigers supporters I know, BUT I still find watching them lose hilarious. That match against Melbourne midway through last season was golden

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This is the best time to post that KB gif but I can't loving find it

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

This is the best time to post that KB gif but I can't loving find it

You say that implying there is never a best time... http://youtu.be/blaFJCSN5jY

e: this whole video just sums up tigers fans so well. So over confident when they have no right to be and in ruin at the end. My Tigers supporting friend has a habit of jumping out of his seat and fist pumping the air the first goal they score. Even if the opposition has score 5 or 6 before them. And my personal fav I've mentioned before was going to a match and being taunted by a large Richmond contingent as they were up by about 15 points at half time. They were singing the song and dancing and everything KB is doing in that video. After the match when we beat them by 40-odd points some of the same group were literally in tears.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 4, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I do enjoy going to matches with Richmond. They're mad when they win and they're even madder when they lose.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

You say that implying there is never a best time... http://youtu.be/blaFJCSN5jY

hahaha. too clevah. too smaaht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Richmond fans are just Melbourne fans cursed with hope.

• Locked thread