Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I will second the Hive Crawler set, that thing is amazing, I got it last year during Walmart's clearance sells and it is by far one of my favorite sets of the year. It has a ton of moving parts on it, has a bitching egg launcher, the mini figs are pretty sweet and the colors just pop out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was wondering why I've had a recent bug to get a bunch of lego star wars sets after ignoring them for the last decade or more that Lego has been doing Star Wars, and I realized it's because they used to look really lovely. Looking up some of the old sets online, I'm not surprised I wasn't tempted to buy them. They have really come a long way with making the general forms into really nice looking Lego versions of SW stuff, vs the old stuff that looks like something I would make out of random lego's that were sitting around. Half of them weren't even the right colors and only vaguely resembled what they were going for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it boggles my mind that they were so popular early on, since they were pretty much garbage for like the first half a decade. Probably just the minifigs doing it

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah it boggles my mind that they were so popular early on, since they were pretty much garbage for like the first half a decade. Probably just the minifigs doing it

When I was little, we did everything we could to make Star Wars stuff with Lego. So even though they weren't great, they were better than homemade stuff. It was a dream come true for every kid in the 80s, certainly.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Captain Invictus posted:

The A-Wings are my favourite to illustrate this

From this:

to this:

to this:

The second iteration isnt half bad, the last one is good, but i have no idea what they were thinking when they released the first one.

The latest iterations of all the iconic ep4-6 fighters are very good in my opinion, with their early 2000s versions being outright terrible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm almost positive that the slope wedge piece type didn't even exist during the OG Star Wars Lego run, which has become a massive part of pretty much every sleek ship set ever now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

When I was little, we did everything we could to make Star Wars stuff with Lego. So even though they weren't great, they were better than homemade stuff. It was a dream come true for every kid in the 80s, certainly.

Yup. Just the mere fact that real licensed Star Wars Lego sets existed was enough. They didn't have to be good sets.

I've been on a break from this thread for about a year or two. Catching up the last few days, I now recall why: I really, really, don't need any external encouragement to buy more Lego. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

The A-Wings are my favourite to illustrate this

From this:

to this:

to this:

The second iteration isnt half bad, the last one is good, but i have no idea what they were thinking when they released the first one.

The latest iterations of all the iconic ep4-6 fighters are very good in my opinion, with their early 2000s versions being outright terrible.

There is a store near my house that has a some of the late 90's/early 00's stuff and two that really stuck out to me were the Snowspeeder and the B-wing. The snowspeeder was ridiculously bulky while the B-wing was way to slender.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You also have to keep in mind that the original runs of star wars sets where when lego was in financial trouble. These days they have legions of AFOLs turned employees pushing the creation of new bricks and implementing a lot of new techniques.

We're really in a golden age of lego, hopefully it lasts a long time. In case it doesn't, enjoy it while it lasts. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lego would have to fall real fuckin' far to reach the level it was in the early 00's, considering they're the most successful toy company in the world now.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have the new Star Destroyer? How is it?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anyone have a bluish-gray pith helmet piece? I'd rather not Bricklink it when I could just send someone a buck to post it to me.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

The Rage posted:

I had fun building it over two nights. Although smaller than the last star destroyer, it's a lot more solid and looks more accurate.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat, I shouldn't've gone to Walmart. No Spaceship!, but they did have the big police thing. They also had the Chima Mammoth, the Chima eagle, and two of the smaller cyber-Ninjago sets on clearance. I got one of each.

And I'm still planning on a Lego store trip this weekend. Dammit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Captain Invictus posted:

Lego would have to fall real fuckin' far to reach the level it was in the early 00's, considering they're the most successful toy company in the world now.

My favorite weird Lego fact is that they're the the world's largest tire manufacturer

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I had fun building it over two nights. Although smaller than the last star destroyer, it's a lot more solid and looks more accurate.

Is this the one that was made in 2006? Because, yeah, that thing is fragile as gently caress. The base is so unsturdy that just picking it up causes the bottom plates to buckle and break apart. The top part of the armor that flips is flimsy and sometimes will break off in your hand. The Vader helmet thing is useless and the mediation pieces around Vaders chair are fragile as well. Despite it all, I love that set.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

VaultAggie posted:

Is this the one that was made in 2006? Because, yeah, that thing is fragile as gently caress. The base is so unsturdy that just picking it up causes the bottom plates to buckle and break apart. The top part of the armor that flips is flimsy and sometimes will break off in your hand. The Vader helmet thing is useless and the mediation pieces around Vaders chair are fragile as well. Despite it all, I love that set.

Yea, here's some comparisons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31780766@N06/15253568069/in/photostream/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxZ33uFSPA

The 75055 model is solid as hell, it has a handle gimmick but short of grabbing it by the tip of the nose or top of the bridge it should stay in one piece.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 3, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ElwoodCuse posted:

My favorite weird Lego fact is that they're the the world's largest tire manufacturer

I had that question on a pub trivia night, and I'm happy to be the only nerd who got it right in the whole place. :smugbert:

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
You guys need a tape measure or something because lego tires are not very big at all.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Transferrins posted:

You guys need a tape measure or something because lego tires are not very big at all.

:rimshot:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

When I got back into Lego recently (well, a few years now I guess), I was really impressed by the Star Wars stuff. Because yeah, most of the SW stuff I remembered was kind of rubbish. I had a nice Podracer and Naboo spaceship when I was younger, but most of the Star Wars stuff was kind of lackluster. It's really quite nice now.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm going to have to remember that one. That's a wonderful fact.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So last night I dreamed that a Sonic The Hedgehog Lego set was a real thing and it was the best, but then I woke up. On the upside, I am now determined to create an Egg-o-matic MOC :v: What's the best way to plan something like this? And then what's the best way to build it?

Fake edit: Or I could totally just make this I guess

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So last night I dreamed that a Sonic The Hedgehog Lego set was a real thing and it was the best, but then I woke up. On the upside, I am now determined to create an Egg-o-matic MOC :v: What's the best way to plan something like this? And then what's the best way to build it?

Fake edit: Or I could totally just make this I guess

Love the mustache

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

The Rage posted:

I love it. It's going to look great on the bookshelf next to my Venator star destroyer and Corellian Corvette. My only complaint are the missile shooters.

I'm currently working on the Helicarrier. It's enormous. I don't know where I'm going to put it when it's done.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Turkson posted:

I love it. It's going to look great on the bookshelf next to my Venator star destroyer and Corellian Corvette. My only complaint are the missile shooters.

I'm currently working on the Helicarrier. It's enormous. I don't know where I'm going to put it when it's done.

How about my house?

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Don't own any Star Destroyer but I love large spaceships and the Republic Frigate was an unexpected favorite. Luckily for my wallet I've dismissed most other Clone Wars sets but now that I'm watching CW after the unexpectedly good first season of Rebels I fear I may cave and bring home a poo poo Malevolence or something :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm afraid I'm going to buy a Ghost or something :ohdear:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got an email from Lego the other day suggesting the Exo Suit is going to leave circulation soon, so get on that if you haven't already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I ended up buying a V19 Torrent when I started watching Clone Wars recently, but it was a very unpopular set so the prices are still sane.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to buy a Ghost or something :ohdear:

Good thing it's so drat ugly.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

At least Rebels doesn't have a ten year backlog being sat on by profiteering resellers

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is there a good way to copy mocs other than going to bricklink and trying to match up pieces? I really want to build this awesome Vaygr Bomber.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Badger the creator for the LDD file and dump the inventory that way.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

xzzy posted:

Badger the creator for the LDD file and dump the inventory that way.

If that doesn't work out, if you can get some more angled shots from it I might be able to recreate a good portion of it. Reverse engineering MOC's is kind of a hobby of mine.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Came across this on a Lego blog I check. Crappy pic but looks good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That set looks a lot more interesting than the house set. Might pick that up and squeeze it into my Lego City block I'm starting up.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Phrosphor posted:

Is there a good way to copy mocs other than going to bricklink and trying to match up pieces? I really want to build this awesome Vaygr Bomber.

Holy poo poo, that looks amazing. I'm really starting to get the urge to make some Homeworld MOCs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DrChud posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god it looks so awesome. Plus, cop car for Wiggum!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dogen posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god it looks so awesome. Plus, cop car for Wiggum!

Bake 'em away, toys!

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Turkson posted:

I love it. It's going to look great on the bookshelf next to my Venator star destroyer and Corellian Corvette.

It does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

DrChud posted:

Who needs a Kwik-E-Mart?

I dooooo...