Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm a person and my name is Anikan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"But in my heart I know I am struggling hard against my corporate masters," he says, as he creates a distribution list for the executive tennis club

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I just found out that we've been deploying machines with the Configuration Manager client installed, but with no site code assigned. :doh:

This isn't a major problem, but it's one I'd like to resolve pretty quickly. I made babby's first Powershell script:
code:
$sms = new-object –comobject “Microsoft.SMS.Client”
$sms.SetAssignedSite("<SiteCode>")
which just assigns the proper site code.

I've got access to PDQ Deploy which makes running this script even more trivial than it would be otherwise, but I'd prefer to only run it against machines that are Bitlocker encrypted on a list of given OUs.

My issue is how to get a good list of Bitlocker-encrypted machines. We save recovery information on AD, and I think there's a field - HasBitlockerRecoveryKey - that would work, but the above is about the most complex Powershell I've ever written.

This post is basically pointless cause I'm not looking for anyone to make something for me. I found this - https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/4231a8a1-cc60-4e07-a098-2844353186ad - but I definitely don't want to run a query against our entire domain. Anywho, good learning opportunity for me on a slow rainy day.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ElGroucho posted:

"But in my heart I know I am struggling hard against my corporate masters," he says, as he creates a distribution list for the executive tennis club

Fighting the power at $18 an hour!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I understand that if they can't pay you market they won't make it in the real world but what does it matter if they're coming out of the founder(s) pockets? It's not like they can force you to not sell your options, etc

The original statement was that you shouldn't accept a crappy salary + options in lieu of normal market pay unless you're a very very early and senior employee. Because past the first few employees, the % of the total stock you're issued is miniscule. It's heavily diluted among investors and all of the other employees. So even if the company gets bought out for $alot, you might walk away with $50k in stock or something. Which still sounds good, but once you consider that you had to work there for 5 years making $20k/year below market wages, it doesn't seem so hot. The Google story where even the janitors made 8 figures off their stock options is so improbable it's just not worth considering.

And remember, that's the best case. Statistically, the company will just fold after a few years, or struggle along indefinitely without ever seeing a major buyout or IPO. And your options are worth $0.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Okay, now that makes much more sense.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
So the place I work for has decided to do a Share Folder and Distribution List access review for the first time in a decade.

What is/are the best tool(s) to pull a full list of shares and who has what access and is there something that could do something similar with Outlook distribution lists?

Varonis looks promising, but it was considered way too expensive when I brought it up.

On a similar note, one of our Security team has suddenly become concerned that someone in IT is wandering through employees' emails inboxes. Is there a tool or report that can be pulled that monitors that activity (like adding delegations or using admin to log into the inbox) like AD activity can be monitored?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ocanthus posted:

So the place I work for has decided to do a Share Folder and Distribution List access review for the first time in a decade.

What is/are the best tool(s) to pull a full list of shares and who has what access and is there something that could do something similar with Outlook distribution lists?

Varonis looks promising, but it was considered way too expensive when I brought it up.

On a similar note, one of our Security team has suddenly become concerned that someone in IT is wandering through employees' emails inboxes. Is there a tool or report that can be pulled that monitors that activity (like adding delegations or using admin to log into the inbox) like AD activity can be monitored?

Everything you want can be done in powershell and turning on logging.

First off shares.

http://tinyurl.com/po4qvy7

Exchange logging

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff459237%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Good chance your exchange server is not setup for more detailed logging so past transgressions by admins probably isn't going to be found. However, people who read email like this generally aren't all that careful. You should probably check for the event id that is generated when someoen grants themselves full access to someone email account. Generally that is where you are going to find unusually behavior.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

evol262 posted:

If you want to do the whole "workers of the world unite" thing, don't participate in the system. But you can't be a participant and active member of a "construct of our civilization" and pretend you're subverting the injustice of it by hiring potential risks while at the same time following the party line enough to be in a position where you get to make those kinds of decisions. Admit that you're part of this "construct of our civilization" which values group identity (which is, anthropologically, every single human society). Own it. It's the choice you've made.

To take part in the system is compulsory. A choice between employment in the system and unemployment is no choice at all. It would be convenient, for those who benefit from the current status quo, if I were somehow prevented from using my agency to drive change from within. Luckily for those of us who do perceive that there is injustice in the system, previous generations have fought for some rights that make it at least somewhat difficult for the owning class to identify and ban the dissatisfied without recourse. It was certainly not always the case in this country and still is not in many others. The laws of our nation define protections for the worker against predatory activities by employers. Did those laws arise out of a vacuum?

For the past few weeks I've been negotiating my next role, which involves building a DevOps team for a large SaaS company. I've been building this new team largely out of my own network, many of whom are still employed at the company I left because it drove my friend insane. I just got the email confirming that another member of that team accepted their new offer with us. That's now five: the Ops Manager, two Tech Leads, and the best automation engineers they had.

Would this have even been possible if that company dealt with it's employees fairly? At what point does the company owe its misfortune to its own choices? But for its employees leaving, would the company ever suffer for those choices? Should it? I think these are important questions to consider about the balance of power between the worker and the employer.

You can joke about tennis clubs but that sort of thing is everywhere. When I see $20k per quarter getting dropped without question for executive ball-fondling, but the best a company can come up with for training budget is $5k per year in their mission critical departments, the whole "social contract" starts to ring hollow. Your company is not paying you out of the good of their heart. They are paying you to do work that, when your compensation is subtracted, still results in a profit for them. Their math in the figure they pay is rooted in drawing profit from the difference between the actual value of your work and what, after putting you in competition with other members of the working class, you will accept. Does that sound like a fair contract? I don't know how you can swallow that without a glass of the kool-aid unless you're the one holding the tennis racket.

We work in an industry where the kind of salaries that can make you financially independent are within striking range of people without degrees. Once you get there, it seems to me that you have a choice between quietly cashing your checks in safety, or opening your mouth and trying to make that level of independence easier for the next guy to achieve, whoever they may be. I spent way too much time doing the former, and now I'm doing the latter. This isn't being corporate Robin Hood, this is trying to follow the lead of people way braver than myself who did way more when it was way harder.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
*slow clap*

Hey, do me a favor would you? Post your picture. I have to know what someone who would type all that poo poo looks like.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Indubitably

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MagnumOpus posted:

To take part in the system is compulsory. A choice between employment in the system and unemployment is no choice at all. It would be convenient, for those who benefit from the current status quo, if I were somehow prevented from using my agency to drive change from within. Luckily for those of us who do perceive that there is injustice in the system, previous generations have fought for some rights that make it at least somewhat difficult for the owning class to identify and ban the dissatisfied without recourse. It was certainly not always the case in this country and still is not in many others. The laws of our nation define protections for the worker against predatory activities by employers. Did those laws arise out of a vacuum?
It's convenient to tell yourself that it's compulsory, but it isn't. It really is not. While it's a blithe answer to say that you have to do it, there are people who live on communes, do the punk menial work thing where they refuse to advance above the bottom of the system and do the bare minimum necessary to partake in an economic system, people who live in the woods, and people who are voluntarily homeless.

While I admit that those choices are unappealing, and you say it's "no choice at all", there are choices nonetheless. By choosing to actively partake in the system, you have come down on one side.

Worker's rights and the rest of your class warfare argument are another thing which are not tied to the first issue. Economic systems and capitalism are not intrinsically linked, but group identity is more important in primitive systems in which outsiders are deemed enemies. Go read about any traditional society in New Guinea or wherever.

But the current "status quo" is not a status quo either. There is perpetual struggle between those who own the means of production and those who do not. If you think you're making any kind of meaningful change by "using your agency" to "drive change from within" without actually changing who owns the means of production (not you), you're doing effectively nothing to change any injustice inherent in the system, because you're not altering the system at all.

Hypothetically, you're just expanding the pool of workers to include those who previously would have been marginalized. Worse, you're potentially opening the gates of conspicuous consumption and middle-class malaise to those who previously would have been excluded from it and left to fester and grow angry at their exclusion from material wealth. You're lowering the available pool of revolutionaries.

In reality, you are changing nothing. By deceiving yourself and telling yourself that you are "using your agency to drive change" instead of admitting that you're operating within the bounds of a system you fundamentally disagree with, and that you chose to enter that system because you consider the other options unpalatable, you're just living in bad faith.

That's not to say that you can't do anything, but you should consider reframing your "important questions to consider" in a context that doesn't involve angsting about the particular idiosyncrasies of capitalism, and instead focuses on the power dynamics intrinsic in human nature.

MagnumOpus posted:

For the past few weeks I've been negotiating my next role, which involves building a DevOps team for a large SaaS company. I've been building this new team largely out of my own network, many of whom are still employed at the company I left because it drove my friend insane. I just got the email confirming that another member of that team accepted their new offer with us. That's now five: the Ops Manager, two Tech Leads, and the best automation engineers they had.

Would this have even been possible if that company dealt with it's employees fairly? At what point does the company owe its misfortune to its own choices? But for its employees leaving, would the company ever suffer for those choices? Should it? I think these are important questions to consider about the balance of power between the worker and the employer.
They certainly owe this particular misfortune to not putting a nonrecruitment covenant in their contract which would bar you from using their employee pool as a hiring base.

But since nobody other than you knows what their compensation is, was, or the circumstances of the offer, your questions are rhetorical.

MagnumOpus posted:

You can joke about tennis clubs but that sort of thing is everywhere. When I see $20k per quarter getting dropped without question for executive ball-fondling, but the best a company can come up with for training budget is $5k per year in their mission critical departments, the whole "social contract" starts to ring hollow. Your company is not paying you out of the good of their heart. They are paying you to do work that, when your compensation is subtracted, still results in a profit for them. Their math in the figure they pay is rooted in drawing profit from the difference between the actual value of your work and what, after putting you in competition with other members of the working class, you will accept. Does that sound like a fair contract? I don't know how you can swallow that without a glass of the kool-aid unless you're the one holding the tennis racket.
The "social contract" is not the same as the employer-employee relationship.

Your employer is paying you to make them money. That's why employees are business assets.

Whether or not you think it's worth it to take part in this system by proffering yourself for employment and accepting an offer contingent upon the expectation that your employer will make money and this is how they pay you and deal with ongoing expenses and hopeful improvements is up to you. If you don't agree with it, don't do it. It's not a fair system. You don't need to do it. It's probably a better life than you'll get elsewhere.

MagnumOpus posted:

We work in an industry where the kind of salaries that can make you financially independent are within striking range of people without degrees. Once you get there, it seems to me that you have a choice between quietly cashing your checks in safety, or opening your mouth and trying to make that level of independence easier for the next guy to achieve, whoever they may be. I spent way too much time doing the former, and now I'm doing the latter. This isn't being corporate Robin Hood, this is trying to follow the lead of people way braver than myself who did way more when it was way harder.
You don't have to cash your checks quietly, but I'd challenge you to propose any real way in which hiring people who have nontraditional physical appearances of their own choosing in any way increases their "level of independence" from the employer/employee, profit/wages relationship you've spent the rest of your post talking about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This is what happens when wordy idealists debate things.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this is the only IT thread that i've had to ignore people to make readable.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

go3 posted:

this is the only IT thread that i've had to ignore people to make readable.

Seriously, what the gently caress is going on in here?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

:350:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
the ghost of DAF is haunting this thread

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sickening said he wouldn't hire a dirty, smelly hippy and somehow triggered the Revolution

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Someone is revolting against the man by working a high paying job and not being afraid to hire people with tattoos and facial piercings.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Sickening said he wouldn't hire a dirty, smelly hippy and somehow triggered the Revolution

Other issues aside, I wouldn't hire someone that smells like weed for the same reasons I wouldn't hire someone that smells like alcohol.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Where the gently caress do you guys work that you're not allowed to blaze up and sit around watching family guy for several hours?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mewse posted:

Where the gently caress do you guys work that you're not allowed to blaze up and sit around watching family guy for several hours?

No one's talking about the true danger of legalized weed: I've lost two team members in the last month who left to found two different pot-related online startups. I wish I was joking :colorado:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Sickening posted:

You're right. Those are my honest opinions but this is probably not the place to push them in such detail and I clearly have got a big emotional blind spot about this issue because of the toll I've seen this industry take on some people. All the ribbing I'm taking here for the effort-post is deserved.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MagnumOpus posted:

You're right. Those are my honest opinions but this is probably not the place to push them in such detail and I clearly have got a big emotional blind spot about this issue because of the toll I've seen this industry take on some people. All the ribbing I'm taking here for the effort-post is deserved.

It's cool, I can get behind it. Thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

On a lighter note, I just had someone apply to my job posting with the submitted name of "YuPremium D". The email address given however links to a facebook of someone with a more traditional name. It seems this is the alias he chose to represent himself as.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

I'm not sure how you got idealism in any form out of anything I've ever written.

Sickening posted:

On a lighter note, I just had someone apply to my job posting with the submitted name of "YuPremium D". The email address given however links to a facebook of someone with a more traditional name. It seems this is the alias he chose to represent himself as.

I read this as "YuPentium D" and was disappointed.

Docjowles posted:

No one's talking about the true danger of legalized weed: I've lost two team members in the last month who left to found two different pot-related online startups. I wish I was joking :colorado:

This is kind of great. I didn't even know there were pot-related startups. Are they Colorado only? It seems like any kind of interstate commerce would be really sketchy, even to other states where it's legal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think you should consider them. When was the last time yu had some premium D?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evol262 posted:

I read this as "YuPentium D" and was disappointed.

I was hoping that his DJ name had someting to do with defense but per his twitter account it seems that he considers himself quite the ladies man. Today is a hilarious day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

This is kind of great. I didn't even know there were pot-related startups. Are they Colorado only? It seems like any kind of interstate commerce would be really sketchy, even to other states where it's legal.

One is some sort of social network for stoners which is nationwide but based in Denver. The guy isn't technically a founder but the first group hit a wall in terms of their technical abilities and brought him in to build an engineering team from the ground up so he pretty much has founder equity.

The other one I can't remember the name, but it's related to helping marijuana dispensaries track the chain of custody of the weed they're selling to ensure it's all legal and not imported from Mexican cartels or something (as legal as any of this can be). The woman who's leaving to found that one said there's only like 1 other company in the space and their product is hot garbage so there's a good opening for competition. That business is only relevant in states with a legal weed industry. They're just selling software so I don't think it's too legally dubious for them but IANAL so who knows.

edit: found it on her LinkedIn.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 4, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

The other one I can't remember the name, but it's related to helping marijuana dispensaries track the chain of custody of the weed they're selling to ensure it's all legal and not imported from Mexican cartels or something (as legal as any of this can be). The woman who's leaving to found that one said there's only like 1 other company in the space and their product is hot garbage so there's a good opening for competition. That business is only relevant in states with a legal weed industry. They're just selling software so I don't think it's too legally dubious for them but IANAL so who knows.
This is kind of brilliant.

Every time I see the terrible software niche industries (dentists, churches, etc) deal with, I'm tempted to write some marginally less garbage software and rake in money hand over fist.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I got to look at some investor pitch tech notes recently for one of these. They aim to sell drone-based security with a web frontend to outdoor growers. I asked how many there are and was told not many right now and none big enough to need the tech, but the expectation is that it'll keep expanding in CO and only become more loosely regulated as it expands to other states. Apparently this kind of security is already in use in other agricultural sectors, and in the illegal sort of weed growing that is done by planting in state parks. As if this weren't awesome enough to discover, they then told me that the same drones are used by criminal operations to scout these same state parks looking for outlaw plantations, which they then rip off.

America's secret weed-oriented drone wars. :2bong:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

This is kind of brilliant.

Every time I see the terrible software niche industries (dentists, churches, etc) deal with, I'm tempted to write some marginally less garbage software and rake in money hand over fist.

Speaking of dentists. The dentrix practice management software was finally updated to use a SQL database instead of flat data files on a network share in the year of our lord 2012.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I managed to get an in person interview after my awkward phone interview and I feel like I did pretty well! Hopefully I did well enough to get the job and they ignore me low-balling myself.

I was a little concerned when I said I preferred Windows simply from a software compatibility standpoint, but the manager handed me a macbook with a "problem" and told me to troubleshoot it.

The router IP was set to 1.2.3.4.

Fortunately I found it! I hope I did well enough to get a response back.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

E: /\/\ Sounds like you did alright. Good luck!

MagnumOpus posted:

America's secret weed-oriented drone wars. :2bong:

I want to watch a documentary about this. Good thing tomorrow is (yet another) snow day! I'm up to 7 paid days off this year without using any PTO, not too shabby.

On topic, say I've got an faily good idea for a software solution. Before I start working on a prototype, do I need to see an IP lawyer or something to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's patent?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CloFan posted:

On topic, say I've got an faily good idea for a software solution. Before I start working on a prototype, do I need to see an IP lawyer or something to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's patent?

I wouldn't worry about that until you have something that might infringe something else.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is this something you're developing for your employer, or personally? If the latter, you'll want to review your employment agreement. They sometimes contain clauses that anything you invent or develop while working for them belongs to them. Even if it's something you did entirely in your own time.

Whether that's enforceable where you live is another matter, as is whether they'd bother going after you for it. But it's worth keeping in mind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this isn't really the right thread, but it seems like the people in this thread would know better than anyone else. Would it be feasible to set up something like an archive system on my PC? Basically, I'm thinking files that haven't been altered for maybe a month or so end up getting moved to Documents_Archive from Documents. I'd think I could set up a script to do something like that with powershell, but I have no experience with it whatsoever. The most scripting I've done is a couple simple .bat files years ago. So I guess it does kind of apply to this thread, because if I learned powershell to do something like that, I'd put it on my resume.

It's a weird thing to care about, but I've got a new laptop and it is so nice being able to save a file, go to email it, and have only maybe 10 things in the folder to pick from instead of hundreds accumulated over years.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Where do you guys get/where have you guys seen beautiful dashboard components? My company wants to sell SCOM implementations and I want to do a kick-rear end demo for the clients. Do you guys know where I can see examples or some forum dedicated to it or something?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this isn't really the right thread, but it seems like the people in this thread would know better than anyone else. Would it be feasible to set up something like an archive system on my PC? Basically, I'm thinking files that haven't been altered for maybe a month or so end up getting moved to Documents_Archive from Documents. I'd think I could set up a script to do something like that with powershell, but I have no experience with it whatsoever. The most scripting I've done is a couple simple .bat files years ago. So I guess it does kind of apply to this thread, because if I learned powershell to do something like that, I'd put it on my resume.

It's a weird thing to care about, but I've got a new laptop and it is so nice being able to save a file, go to email it, and have only maybe 10 things in the folder to pick from instead of hundreds accumulated over years.

Setting a .bat file to run constantly/at an interval is quite easy. Once the script's been created, you can set it to run via a scheduled task, in the task scheduler.

I think Sickening said it earlier, but I would definitely try to pick up Powershell In A Month Of Lunches - It's the best book for learning PS currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp645184.jsp

this goes against everything I stand for, but I have next to NO real IT experience :smith: