Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
UHC has ended and:

Yes, the yellow team seeing Baj allowed them to escape immediately.

And then:

That almost certainly cost Team Nancy Drew the game. Yellow team escaped the nether completely unharmed and was able to clean up the Green vs. Aqua battle, taking all of their potions and the three ender eyes, allowing them to open the portal and win the game. Red Team, Team Nancy Drew, opted to basically watch as all this happened.

Red team had the drop on each team as they approached and each time played it safe and opted to watch as they engaged with someone else. When Yellow team finally cleaned up, they had fortified themselves on a hill with three teams worth of resources and Red team was outmatched. Red retreats, with Guude and Beef nearly dead, and go to look for more gold as Yellow opens the End Portal, and spends a lot of time trying to kill the dragon.

Red team notices them losing and gaining life, but Beef insists they are just farming endermen, because Guude and Beef insist that Yellow team have absolutely nothing of worth (earlier, during the battle, despite Yellow team fighting on the graves of two teams, Guude insisted they didn't have potions.) They waffle on deciding to check the portal or not, and slowly make their way back to 0,0. They look off in the distance and see the walls Vechz built around the portal, and Guude and Beef still don't know if they went through. Pause, frustrated just runs for it and see that they did indeed go in. Pause wants to give chase, but Guude suggests that perhaps Yellow is unprepared for the dragon, and that they should spend time grinding flint for arrows. Pause begrudgingly agrees, and then keeps noting the Yellow team's HP changing. He wants to go in but Guude insists that going in without enough arrows is pointless so they keep grinding. Pause feels like they will lose while they wait, Guude says they will lose if they go in, even though they all agree that they should steal the dragon kill, so he wants to get more arrows. Pause wants to atleast lose trying, and Guude insists that grinding flint while the last team kills the dragon is trying.

Team yellow slays the dragon and BTC types it in chat. Beef refuses to believe it since there was no message or music change, and eats his apple for some reason. Guude and Beef wonder if it is a trap by team yellow to steal their arrows since they obviously ran out. Eventually they go in, and sneak around, sure that the dragon is both alive and that yellow is out of arrows. Nebris walks over and plops the egg down. Pause is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

UHC has ended and:

Yes, the yellow team seeing Baj allowed them to escape immediately.

And then:

That almost certainly cost Team Nancy Drew the game. Yellow team escaped the nether completely unharmed and was able to clean up the Green vs. Aqua battle, taking all of their potions and the three ender eyes, allowing them to open the portal and win the game. Red Team, Team Nancy Drew, opted to basically watch as all this happened.

Red team had the drop on each team as they approached and each time played it safe and opted to watch as they engaged with someone else. When Yellow team finally cleaned up, they had fortified themselves on a hill with three teams worth of resources and Red team was outmatched. Red retreats, with Guude and Beef nearly dead, and go to look for more gold as Yellow opens the End Portal, and spends a lot of time trying to kill the dragon.

Red team notices them losing and gaining life, but Beef insists they are just farming endermen, because Guude and Beef insist that Yellow team have absolutely nothing of worth (earlier, during the battle, despite Yellow team fighting on the graves of two teams, Guude insisted they didn't have potions.) They waffle on deciding to check the portal or not, and slowly make their way back to 0,0. They look off in the distance and see the walls Vechz built around the portal, and Guude and Beef still don't know if they went through. Pause, frustrated just runs for it and see that they did indeed go in. Pause wants to give chase, but Guude suggests that perhaps Yellow is unprepared for the dragon, and that they should spend time grinding flint for arrows. Pause begrudgingly agrees, and then keeps noting the Yellow team's HP changing. He wants to go in but Guude insists that going in without enough arrows is pointless so they keep grinding. Pause feels like they will lose while they wait, Guude says they will lose if they go in, even though they all agree that they should steal the dragon kill, so he wants to get more arrows. Pause wants to atleast lose trying, and Guude insists that grinding flint while the last team kills the dragon is trying.

Team yellow slays the dragon and BTC types it in chat. Beef refuses to believe it since there was no message or music change, and eats his apple for some reason. Guude and Beef wonder if it is a trap by team yellow to steal their arrows since they obviously ran out. Eventually they go in, and sneak around, sure that the dragon is both alive and that yellow is out of arrows. Nebris walks over and plops the egg down. Pause is sad.

I think I like reading this instead of attempting to watch any of the videos

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Yeah some strange decision making and lack of awareness at the end there. At least the perspective I followed from the start got to kill a bunch of people.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

whalestory posted:

I think I like reading this instead of attempting to watch any of the videos

I watched the one with the nether portal, and by the time it was done I looked down and realized I was fashioning a noose for myself out of a cable. I definitely prefer the synopsis.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been having this strange bug. Whenever I move away from this cave, or move the camera in a certain way, this section of the wall becomes invisible. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried reinstalling the game after deleting the .minecraft folder and backing up my saves to no avail (I'm playing vanilla minecraft by the way).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They've been messing with their culling a lot since 1.7. My guess is you've just encountered a subtle bug in their logic that decides a chunk is not in the potentially visible set.

I'd report it as a bug if it bothers you.

I personally would look for a way to exploit it for free xray vision. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does turning VBOs off help?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just loving around to kill some time I came across the most complex cave system I've ever seen. Over the past week I've spent what must amount to 10-12 hours exploring it and I STILL haven't explored the entire thing. So far I've found 6 underground ravines (one of which is two intersecting ravines, so 7), two different mineshafts (and you know how sprawling those bastards are), and approximately a gazillion miles of interlocking multilevel caves all around, with a conveniently located gigantic open room around the center of it all (or at least it's the center because it's where I set up shop.) Caving is pretty usually ho-hum but this system's proven so much bigger than anything I'd seen before it's ridiculous.

I'm playing a customized world with some settings tweaked to encourage this sort of thing, but this is the first time I've come across anything remotely like this.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

xzzy posted:

I personally would look for a way to exploit it for free xray vision. :v:

Sadly if I get close it goes back to normas so I can't exploit it.

MikeJF posted:

Does turning VBOs off help?

Nope, I tried messing with the VBO, mipmap, vsync, etc. and it stays the same. The weird thing is that void wasn't there yesterday.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So whats the deal these days with hosting a server post 1.8. I know Bukkit is hosed and some people are working on Sponge that still hasn't gotten released. Beyond that I have no clue outside of doing Realms.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could ask CaptainCaveman as he's running a 1.8 server just fine:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661782

Been slowly adding mods as they become available for 1.8.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just loving around to kill some time I came across the most complex cave system I've ever seen. Over the past week I've spent what must amount to 10-12 hours exploring it and I STILL haven't explored the entire thing. So far I've found 6 underground ravines (one of which is two intersecting ravines, so 7), two different mineshafts (and you know how sprawling those bastards are), and approximately a gazillion miles of interlocking multilevel caves all around, with a conveniently located gigantic open room around the center of it all (or at least it's the center because it's where I set up shop.) Caving is pretty usually ho-hum but this system's proven so much bigger than anything I'd seen before it's ridiculous.

I'm playing a customized world with some settings tweaked to encourage this sort of thing, but this is the first time I've come across anything remotely like this.

Whenever i play any mod pack i build my starting hole in the side of a cliff and start the stairs down to lvl 12 for diamonds, and I always 99% of the time hit mineshafts, caverns or chasms. I am unlucky like that.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I've been building a man-made island in an ocean biome on my server in creative mode, partly by hand but also using the fill command to add columns of sand round the edge. I made the border to sea level and then drained the water from the centre and filled over it with grass so I now have a flat grass island.

The issue I have with it though is that because the sea is deep there, it now has very steep edges which I’d like to make slope a little so that it looks more like a natural island.

Is there a quick way to do this which requires minimal working underwater? Maybe using a particular shaped clone or fill.

I was thinking I might have to edit the map offline or something using mcedit, but I’d rather avoid that if possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few double chests of gravel and sand, then drop it all in manually I guess?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

xzzy posted:

A few double chests of gravel and sand, then drop it all in manually I guess?

Yeah it's just quite a large area to cover so that could take a very long time.

I feel like there must be a way to do it quicker but getting reasonable results using /clone and a chunk of gravel to layer up or something similar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheresaJayne posted:

Whenever i play any mod pack i build my starting hole in the side of a cliff and start the stairs down to lvl 12 for diamonds, and I always 99% of the time hit mineshafts, caverns or chasms. I am unlucky like that.

I find I enjoy the game so much better in a customized world with altered ore distribution. I changed diamonds to still be 1 per chunk, in smaller clumps, anywhere from Y=50 down. That removes spergmining in long strips at Y=10 as a viable strategy. Diamonds are still not easy to find, but the only reasonable way to look for them is to go caving. I did similarly with gold for similar reasons.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 4, 2015

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I tried doing a custom world gen where sea level was y=128, thus making half the vertical height underground, with a whole bunch of settings to add interesting ore deposits, and custom blocks to really vary the underground world.

Of course, with cloud height being locked, this meant that the whole surface was basically covered in this lovely fog at all times.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You could theoretically world edit in a massive circle of sand in the sky, and progressively smaller circles to form a gradual slope through the ocean

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone know what the most reliable clock is for vanilla minecraft multiplayer? I notice a lot of my clocks seem to randomly stop...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone know what the most reliable clock is for vanilla minecraft multiplayer? I notice a lot of my clocks seem to randomly stop...

I haven't messed with redstone in ages but I used to use a minecart in a loop for a clock and they basically never stop.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So whats the deal these days with hosting a server post 1.8.

Spigot has a BuildTools.jar file which will build/update the server files for 1.8. http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/buildtools-updates-information.42865/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

I haven't messed with redstone in ages but I used to use a minecart in a loop for a clock and they basically never stop.

The ones where they go in circles can be unreliable but the one where it bounces up a hill is apparently very stable.

Is the ol' torch stack still the best way to do upwards redstone transmission?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

CaptainCaveman posted:

Spigot has a BuildTools.jar file which will build/update the server files for 1.8. http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/buildtools-updates-information.42865/

Thank you sir. I tried to pay attention what was going on but between the Bukkit fallout and the sponge folks taking forever I missed Spigot somehow.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can't play minecraft anymore. It is literally physically impossible because every time I try this happens.

quote:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display
driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Error code: 8
Visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for more information.

Does anyone know what causes it or how to fix it? Three drivers, a new java version and a reinstall of minecraft later and it still won't go away.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can't play minecraft anymore. It is literally physically impossible because every time I try this happens.

Does anyone know what causes it or how to fix it? Three drivers, a new java version and a reinstall of minecraft later and it still won't go away.

That is a really long standing OS error. I have an old post somewhere with how to fix it but don't have time to scour the internet right now. If you search my name along with the error message you'll find it eventually. It has to do with some windows boot settings. Good luck.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

wylker posted:

That is a really long standing OS error. I have an old post somewhere with how to fix it but don't have time to scour the internet right now. If you search my name along with the error message you'll find it eventually. It has to do with some windows boot settings. Good luck.

I'm not sure if this is what you were suggesting but I found this and it seems to have worked.

quote:

Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sureGraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

Posting it here just in case anyone else has this problem.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Uh, while that will stop TDR from happening I think you will end up just crashing. TDR is a feature to prevent a full graphics card crash when the video driver stops responding. If you do have hard crashes due to that change I can post another fix for you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a way to identify which blocks around a fort are in Wither Skeleton spawning area?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Now this is some impressive poo poo

http://gfycat.com/MeanFoolishHoneyeater

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/2ysblx/pacman_with_real_ghost_ai_update/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Psh that's not that impressive anybody could do that *builds another sorta rectangular house, sobbing*

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Psh that's not that impressive anybody could do that *builds another sorta rectangular house, sobbing*

You build houses? I build hobbit holes and then squirrel away building my empire underground

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheresaJayne posted:

You build houses? I build hobbit holes and then squirrel away building my empire underground

what up dirt hovel buddy :hf:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

See this is the attitude to have. I always start out in a hobbit hole with some grand ambition (Every mountain shall have a castle that will ALL be connected by gold skybridge!), but then, I build up my chests... and what am I gonna do, MOVE all of them?! Feh. FEH. Plus inevitably I have underground crop and animal farms. I'm good in a hole.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I block off most of a nether fortress from spawns via slabs or lava, will it focus the wither skeleton spawns into the remaining area, or will the number of spawns mainly just reduce.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

If I block off most of a nether fortress from spawns via slabs or lava, will it focus the wither skeleton spawns into the remaining area, or will the number of spawns mainly just reduce.

Wither skeletons would only spawn in the remaining area, sure, but most spawns would probably still be taken up by pigmen and ghasts in the nether proper

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Old Greg posted:

See this is the attitude to have. I always start out in a hobbit hole with some grand ambition (Every mountain shall have a castle that will ALL be connected by gold skybridge!), but then, I build up my chests... and what am I gonna do, MOVE all of them?! Feh. FEH. Plus inevitably I have underground crop and animal farms. I'm good in a hole.
This is partly why I love the Applied Energistics mod. Picking up and moving your base is easy once you can carry tens of thousands of items in a single inventory space via digital chip.
Though for lower tech solutions, the Chest Transporter mod and Better Storage's dollies are great for moving intact chests without having to spill the contents.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I do a lot better when carving out areas underground/in the side of a mountain for my bases than when I just straight-up build on the surface. I can make the interior look good, but not the exterior. :saddowns:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ixjuvin posted:

Wither skeletons would only spawn in the remaining area, sure, but most spawns would probably still be taken up by pigmen and ghasts in the nether proper

So forts don't have a separate spawn cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I don't think so, they just use a different mob list.