Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Looking forward to trying out these R888Rs and 595 rsrrs next year lads.
I think my boss is gonna let me lap the ring in his xbow as well. :getin:

Did you manage to do anything this year? I went back to brands hatch last monday, on a supposedly dry day. Somehow the track retains water, but all the surrounding roads were bone dry. :shepface:

Its not fun driving on a damp track with heatcycled summer tyres at about 2°c , it did dry out eventually and got a decent amount of laps in. Ended up going with a friend who is running in the toyota sprint series in an na sw20, he was able to put the power down so much easier than I could. I ended up just running on actuator boost and even then I was spinning up the wheels coming out of clark curve.

The conditions also helped me with figuring out snap oversteer :haw:

Heres a picture, I cant be arsed to buy any this time because the car looks abseloutely filthy.
http://www.msvtphotography.com/v/photos/25087trx/14389510402

Thats my last day till the weather gets nice again and I realy need to sort out what to do for new tyres. In the uk we arent endowed with the same selection of r-comps that the US has.

I'll be going to the autosport international show in January to try on helmets because i'm fed up of using rental ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

I'll be going to the autosport international show in January to try on helmets because i'm fed up of using rental ones.

What are the regulations for helmets like in the UK? I have this one and it fits my stupid head fine and is actually pretty comfortable, and I'm wearing glasses underneath it. Luckily you can remove most of the stickers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

What are the regulations for helmets like in the UK? I have this one and it fits my stupid head fine and is actually pretty comfortable, and I'm wearing glasses underneath it. Luckily you can remove most of the stickers.

With trackdays you could get away with any lovely helmet, it usualy just has to be a full face in an open car. Tintops you can get away with an open face. I was just going to go for a full face Snell 2010 one. The autosport show is a massive motorsport trade show in January and is pretty much the best place to try on different helmets to see if they fit.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I took my BRZ on a track, I like nice days in the middle of winter.

Here is a video where I'm a bit stuck behind a 370Z and I eventually dive to the inside to get by.

http://youtu.be/oiWFlvFjhIE?t=12m5s

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Outside of the first few laps, tires don't care how cold it is. :getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Outside of the first few laps

I found this out the hard way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

I found this out the hard way.

This sounds like a story if I've ever heard one :jerky:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Track Masters has stuff on the weekend, this season. Should absolutely be able to afford going then, this year.

Can someone explain the difference between "Open Day" and "Intermediate"? I can't seem to find any definitions on the group's website :saddowns:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sab669 posted:

:toot: Track Masters has stuff on the weekend, this season. Should absolutely be able to afford going then, this year.

Can someone explain the difference between "Open Day" and "Intermediate"? I can't seem to find any definitions on the group's website :saddowns:
Are you in the AI facebook group? I'd love to just tag along and observe how things run if you do go, I can throw a couple tools in the mustang if you need space.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Didn't know there was one, no. Not sure if there'd be room for passengers, I think for first-timers like myself you're required to do some sort of 'drivers ed' with an instructor and then get some track time and the Z is a 2 seater. Not certain on that though. If that's not the case, we can talk more (I have PM)

edit: Just realized you don't have PM's... dleb669 at gmail

Also I live up in Buffalo and the Glen is 3 hours away (each way) so I'll just be grabbing a hotel nearby as I'll be going both the 25th + 26th FYI

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 7, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh I didn't mean ride in the car with you, Ive just never been to an actual track day and wanted to check it out from the sidelines before trying to take part in one. And yeah I live in Buffalo too thats why I brought it up you silly goon.

edit: your original question

website posted:

What Category of Driver would I be?

In 2015 we are doing some simplifying of our classification. You are either cleared to run in Open Track or you are not. If you are not, you are in the Intermediate program. Most people who make it up to Open Track are 30+ days with a lot of experience and good communication skills.

edit: If they seriously expect you to have 30 days of experience and they're only open for intermediate 4 days in 2015 that might take a long time and a lot of money. 4 days for ~$1000.

edit 14: Oh there arent so many dates because theyre repaving the track this year. Still, thats a lot of money.

Cage fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 7, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Did you manage to do anything this year? I went back to brands hatch last monday, on a supposedly dry day. Somehow the track retains water, but all the surrounding roads were bone dry. :shepface:

Its not fun driving on a damp track with heatcycled summer tyres at about 2°c , it did dry out eventually and got a decent amount of laps in. Ended up going with a friend who is running in the toyota sprint series in an na sw20, he was able to put the power down so much easier than I could. I ended up just running on actuator boost and even then I was spinning up the wheels coming out of clark curve.

The conditions also helped me with figuring out snap oversteer :haw:

Heres a picture, I cant be arsed to buy any this time because the car looks abseloutely filthy.
http://www.msvtphotography.com/v/photos/25087trx/14389510402

Thats my last day till the weather gets nice again and I realy need to sort out what to do for new tyres. In the uk we arent endowed with the same selection of r-comps that the US has.

I just did a few blyton days ftl. I have a ring trip booked for september but I'm seriously considering DN in july too. I'm currently spending over $9000 to make my car be more better so prob won't do much early this year. Let me know what you go to though

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cage posted:

Oh I didn't mean ride in the car with you, Ive just never been to an actual track day and wanted to check it out from the sidelines before trying to take part in one. And yeah I live in Buffalo too thats why I brought it up you silly goon.

edit: your original question

edit: If they seriously expect you to have 30 days of experience and they're only open for intermediate 4 days in 2015 that might take a long time and a lot of money. 4 days for ~$1000.

edit 14: Oh there arent so many dates because theyre repaving the track this year. Still, thats a lot of money.

It's good to have different run groups for different skill levels, but holy cow, 30 track days of experience to graduate? That must either be a very large or a very serious organization.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

ColdPie posted:

It's good to have different run groups for different skill levels, but holy cow, 30 track days of experience to graduate? That must either be a very large or a very serious organization.

As a side note to this. You can do any number of drivers schools in 3 days and transfer to SCCA or NASA Novice Permit after which you will need to do either 6 or 8 races (SCCA/NASA) to get you full comp license. It won't take 30 days, cost less and likely be transferable to any group you like.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I just did a few blyton days ftl. I have a ring trip booked for september but I'm seriously considering DN in july too. I'm currently spending over $9000 to make my car be more better so prob won't do much early this year. Let me know what you go to though

Nice blyton is pretty close to you isnt it? I dunno what i'm doing yet this year but I realy need to go to the ring, is it a trackday in september or just a touristwhatsit? My cars pretty much just been sitting around since december anyway and yeah i've been buying up over 9000 parts also. :newlol:

I'll be doing Brands (because i'm lazy and its 40 minutes away) but I realy fancy Donnington and also Snetterton. Also depends on what days people are doing at the mr2 club.

I was gonna go to the autosport show to look at helmets this weekend but i've pulled my groin (dont ask what his name was thanks) and also have a fever!

Hows the m3 holding up? You got any kewl pics?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

What is this poo poo on my windshield??

Auto Club chicane is sketchy. As. gently caress. right now lol.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 11, 2015

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Someone finally biffed it

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 11, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Ow, my tables

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Nice blyton is pretty close to you isnt it? I dunno what i'm doing yet this year but I realy need to go to the ring, is it a trackday in september or just a touristwhatsit? My cars pretty much just been sitting around since december anyway and yeah i've been buying up over 9000 parts also. :newlol:

I'll be doing Brands (because i'm lazy and its 40 minutes away) but I realy fancy Donnington and also Snetterton. Also depends on what days people are doing at the mr2 club.

I was gonna go to the autosport show to look at helmets this weekend but i've pulled my groin (dont ask what his name was thanks) and also have a fever!

Hows the m3 holding up? You got any kewl pics?

It's fine. I'm not enjoying winter driving on these RSRs tbh so just pootling about.
Blyton isn't far really no. I want to do DN in July but nobody seems up for it because £1200. September is tourist driving cause my mate wants to go there for his stag. I'll probably do about 10 laps then drink 9000 beers ftw.

What parts did you buy? I hope it was getting those friggin kewl wheels refurbed!!!!!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

First time at Streets of Willow ccw, this is a hectic little bastard

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Watkins Glen posted another article about the repaving project later this year. It blows my mind how much goes into what is ultimately a very small stretch of road. 3.4 miles

quote:

• 25,000 tons of asphalt
• 27,000 gallons of bituminous tack coat
• 7,000 tons of aggregate
• 2,500 tons of concrete

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2014/12/Repave-Contractor.aspx

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My local track is being partially repaved this year. Only ~75k in work, but it will eliminate a lot of the roughness on the track, especially bumps in the braking zones. I can't wait.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

3 track days in a row with rain. In Southern California.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Low consumable costs.
I love rain days, but only on tracks without walls nearby to gently caress up your poo poo. And autoclub has a lot of walls.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Low consumable costs.
I love rain days, but only on tracks without walls nearby to gently caress up your poo poo. And autoclub has a lot of walls.

For some hilarious reason, I've only ever done rain days at Auto Club. My favorite part is when the car gets a little unsettled entering the straight from the complex and the backend slides uptowards the wall a bit at like 100mph. That's exciting.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

the poi posted:

For some hilarious reason, I've only ever done rain days at Auto Club. My favorite part is when the car gets a little unsettled entering the straight from the complex and the backend slides uptowards the wall a bit at like 100mph. That's exciting.

Found someone's video of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEMafOEU6A&t=320s

The good thing is I got back in to the 2:02's when it was dry, but I still can't get sub 2:00 drat it.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 23, 2015

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone doing the ChumpCanada Mosport event in April?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh oh, Ziploc learned how to turn out of a parking lot.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone doing the ChumpCar event in April at Road America?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

extreme_accordion posted:

We might be, still trying figure out if we want to run it again and if the car will be ready.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Ziploc posted:

Anyone doing the ChumpCanada Mosport event in April?

I have been considering getting into chump racing. Too late for this one but I would be open to something later in the year. If anyone is doing this I wouldn't mind stopping by to check it out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Signed up for my first track day of the year :toot: Only three more months to wait.

I might volunteer in the pits if the weather is unusually warm. I volunteered back in 2013 and it was loving freezing and I didn't feel needed anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If anybody wants a Running '89 Prelude for Chumpcar let me know, it isn't worth more than $600 and I'd rather not deal with retards on Kijiji so I'd be happy to give it away to someone that can use it.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

We probably are.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm doing a trackday at Chuckwalla for the first time on Friday - anyone know what the pit situation is like shade wise? Every other track I've been to has had areas to pit under that were shaded.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I was there last year and don't remember any shaded areas or garages for rent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, guess I need to buy an easy up tonight then. At least I don't need and outlet for warmers.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

No shade for 50 miles

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm doing a trackday at Chuckwalla for the first time on Friday - anyone know what the pit situation is like shade wise? Every other track I've been to has had areas to pit under that were shaded.

Where are you planning to stay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Stardotstar posted:

Where are you planning to stay?

I'm not. Trailering out on Thursday night after work, sleeping in my truck until the gate opens, riding all day; and trailering home. I live in the Phoenix area. I did a trackday near Riverside two weeks ago and did Something similar.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 5, 2015