Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Spring 1909

Austria
A bud Holds
F rom Supports A sav (Support cut by Move from Milan)

England
A ank -> arm
F bar -> stp/nc
A bul Holds
A con Supports A bul
F edi -> nth
F lon -> eng (Bounced with bre)
A mos -> war (Bounced with war)
F nwg -> nwy
A rum Supports A sev -> ukr
A sev -> ukr
A smy Holds
A stp -> lvn

France
F aeg -> bul/sc (Bounced with bul)
A apu -> ven (Bounced with ven (1 against 1).
F bre -> eng (Bounced with lon)
A gre Supports F aeg -> bul
F ion -> adr
A mar -> bur
F nap Holds
A sav Supports F rom
F tys -> wes

Germany
A boh -> sil
A gal Supports A war
F lvn -> bot
A mil -> rom (Bounced with rom)
F pru -> bal
A tri -> ser
A tyr -> mun
A ven Supports A mil -> rom (Support cut by Move from Apulia)
A vie -> bud (Bounced with bud)
A war Holds

(Sorry for the delay, I passed out early :shobon:)

Fall 1909 deadline: February 25th, 10 PM eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A player needs more time, and I'm p. gonna be drunk in 24 hours, so deadline extension to: 10 AM, Friday morning.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

thanks. I legit haven't looked at it yet :|

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I haven't received anything from anyone yet!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

I haven't received anything from anyone yet!

To be fair we're all in weird positions and fighting against former allies is rough!!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Someone invaded the neutral zone. <:mad:>

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mills posted:

Someone invaded the neutral zone. <:mad:>

How else am I gonna try to fight you down there??? I just need to move through and then Hal can retake it

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think it's basically a dead-zone for all 3 of us. With Hal alive, we can't fit anything through there.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mills posted:

I think it's basically a dead-zone for all 3 of us. With Hal alive, we can't fit anything through there.

Yeah, that's true. I thought I could go somewhere from SER but now that I actually look at the map I really can't.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mills posted:

Well, a solution presents itself.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Well, a solution presents itself.

shhhhhhhhhhh.........

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Still waiting on one player, should have the update up tonight :-/

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

is it me?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No, you submitted. The player knows who he is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

And we're back.

Fall 1909

Austria
A bud -> ser
F rom Holds

England
A arm -> sev
A bul Supports A bud -> ser (Support cut by Move from Greece)
A con Supports A bul
A lvn Supports A ukr -> war
F lon -> eng (Bounced with bre)
A mos Supports A ukr -> war
F nth -> hol
F nwy -> ska
A rum Supports A bud -> ser
A smy Supports A con
F stp/nc -> nwy
A ukr -> war

France
F adr Convoys A apu -> tri
F aeg Supports A gre -> bul
A apu -> tri (Bounced with ser) Convoy path taken: apu→adr→tri.
F bre -> eng (Bounced with lon)
A bur -> ruh
A gre -> bul (Bounced with bul)
F nap -> apu (Failed)
A sav Supports F rom
F wes -> mao

Germany
F bal Supports F bot -> swe
A gal Supports A war
F bot -> swe
A mil Holds
A mun Holds
A ser -> tri (Bounced with apu) (Dislodged from bud)
A sil -> ber
A ven Supports A mil
A vie Holds
A war Holds (Dislodged from ukr)

Germany: A War can retreat to Pru or Sil, 2 disbands
England: 2 builds
Austria: 1 build

Adjustments ASAP, please.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Winter 1909

Spring 1910 deadline: March 5th, 10 PM eastern.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm willing to concede now. Even if we all teamed up against Mills we'd still be in poor position to stop him. He's got a solid defensive line, a wall against 2 sides, and no reasonable weak spots. He wins. I'd have to cannibalize chic to stand a chance myself, and thatd be a dinner bell rung for Mills.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think that's a fair assessment. That was a particularly good turn for me. I'm happy to call it a draw though friends~

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yeah, I have no real ability to move against Mills, and to fight Pander I'd have to leave all of my territories close to Mills open pretty much, which would a) give Mills a BUNCH of units and b) basically neuter my ability to fight Pander, which renders the whole thing moot.

All I really can do is hole up, which isn't actually very fun, so I'd be good with a draw right now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

draw

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hal?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
BOOOOO

hiss

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well I wantred TRI back but of course I am ok with a draw

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Dr. Oszkár Bárány

Dear Journal,

Today I received an uncensored letter from my wife; Éva and the kids have safely returned to Budapest, and though our home was ransacked and my office destroyed by shelling, the provisional Hungarian authority assures them that refugees like my family will receive good treatment. At last, for them at least, their nightmare is over.

The Germans assure me that, once the armistice is signed, they will let me return to Pest as well. But technically there is still a war, and it seems as if the British, having "liberated" Russia and Turkey, are ready to snap the trap on the whole of Europe. If that happens, the war will continue, and so many more lives will perish... it pains my heart.

Still, the Gefreiter assures me that the war is already over, that the Brits will have calmer heads, and we're all just fearing the worst because of the shadow of a decade of war. I want to trust him, but... I am just not sure. Nothing makes sense anymore, and I know he has lied to be before. I suppose though all I can do is wait, and hope.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Okay so I guess
The game ends in a four way draw between Mills/Pander/Chic Trombone/Hal.
But really we know Mills won

Thanks for playing!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We're all winners, even Pinterest Mom!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good work Mills I guess

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sorry TT :smith:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

-This game was weird. The coalitions that formed were really solid, and nobody really ever acted in their own self-interest, which is not really supposed to happen. I think the fact that most of you were unfamiliar with the game and strategy led to that - you were scared to act out alone, maybe?

-I had forgotten how hard the rules were to grok for new player

-This has been going on for two months! Thanks for hanging on that long :3:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I felt like I couldn't do much at all against Germany and England working together, Germany wouldn't talk to me at all for whatever reason

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

That's diplomacy for you. This is actually how most of the games of diplomacy I've seen end up: 2-4 powers negotiate to not attack each other, wipe out the other 3 (who never seem to align for whatever reason) & they all draw, unless one of them is so hilariously out of position as to be easily picked off before the draw.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I had a deal with JJ to eat capps, which Pander agreed to maintain, but then Chic joined the game and we melted. :3:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

nobody really ever acted in their own self-interest, which is not really supposed to happen. I think the fact that most of you were unfamiliar with the game and strategy led to that

When an economist first invented the prisoner's dilemma, he gave it as a joke to his secretaries. He found they would refuse to betray almost entirely. He concluded women were just irrational.

Chastising players for "not playing in their self-interest!! that's not supposed to happen!!" is really dumb.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

I felt like I couldn't do much at all against Germany and England working together, Germany wouldn't talk to me at all for whatever reason

I am a woman of my word and had already allied with Mills and Pander by that point and like hell was I going back on that :colbert:

E:

Mills posted:

I had a deal with JJ to eat capps, which Pander agreed to maintain, but then Chic joined the game and we melted. :3:

:3:

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 5, 2015

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

When an economist first invented the prisoner's dilemma, he gave it as a joke to his secretaries. He found they would refuse to betray almost entirely. He concluded women were just irrational.

Chastising players for "not playing in their self-interest!! that's not supposed to happen!!" is really dumb.

People playing a game enter in a social contact where they try to fulfill their win condition to the best of their ability. It's not fun if you're playing Ticket to Ride and one person just wants to build routes to cities they like. If everyone is playing that way, sure. In Diplomacy though, I think, sometimes acting in ways that are obviously against your interest can ultimately advance you towards your win condition.

I think I'm probably the biggest reason why I lost. I tried to coordinate moves for most of my side but I didn't really have the knowledge or experience to do so effectively and ended up bungling a few things. I also couldn't really organize us in any kind of effective fashion so my attempts to establish a full on coalition didn't work and there was some infighting that drastically reduced our efficacy.

I think I drastically overestimated the importance of Trust this game. I made a promise to myself to play as legitimately as possible and that was kind of dumb. If I had betrayed bowmore at some point I might have had a shot, maybe? I was also dumb to let Taste talk me into allowing Hal to live.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Somberbrero posted:

I think I drastically overestimated the importance of Trust this game. I made a promise to myself to play as legitimately as possible and that was kind of dumb. If I had betrayed bowmore at some point I might have had a shot, maybe? I was also dumb to let Taste talk me into allowing Hal to live.

Doubt it would have held up much better, seems like almost all the countries were interested in upholding their alliances this game. But you're right that most people need to watch out for their self interest rather than deferring to someone else in order to keep the game fun. Otherwise it becomes a pub-stomp without the entitled rage that makes pubstomps fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's ok guys, Diplomacy is a bad game and you did the best you could with it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I wanted Capps/Chic and Mills to like the game, and basically promised to never betray them. If they weren't literal newbies I absolutely would have turned on them. At some point midgame mills had no home defense and chic was tied up with bowmore and somber, so I could absolutely have eaten the both of them and taken their places. I kicked myself for not doing it, but in hindsight also decided it was good I didn't.

I absolutely had the best backstabbing position, it just wasn't the right game.

It's funny too, because I played mills in the first survivor game pretty painfully too. I didn't "respect" the setting of survivor, I just wanted to destroy him as artfully as I could. I think I wanted them to like diplomacy and appreciate what it offered more than just racing for 18 SCs on my own. It meant sucking up my ego and not stabbing. Boring game, but hopefully it raised awareness.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

MildManeredManikin posted:

It's ok guys, Diplomacy is a bad game and you did the best you could with it.

It's a good game, just more brutal and far better suited to online/mail than in-person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh and hey, I forgot. Pinterest, thank you so much for running this game. I'm sure it was a lot of aggravation and effort on your part, but I did have a lot of fun, especially early on.

• Locked thread