Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They were adapted around the most popular aspect- naked 14 year old girls. That poo poo sells and the source material was full of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Negima is the story of a boy that turns himself into a lightning bolt to fight a man who surfs through the air on a giant sword, which sounds more like a Norse myth than an anime.

It's actually the most anime though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Happy March, goons.
Sound! Euphonium thread up

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Negima is the story of a boy that turns himself into a lightning bolt to fight a man who surfs through the air on a giant sword, which sounds more like a Norse myth than an anime.

It's actually the most anime though.

It's good stuff. :)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I've added it to the op.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

They were adapted around the most popular aspect- naked 14 year old girls. That poo poo sells and the source material was full of it.
You're thinking of Negima!, which was awful. Negima!?, on the other hand, was about Asuna trying to get people interested in chupacabras so she can offload all of her chupacabra merch on them and stop being so poor.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

You're thinking of Negima!, which was awful. Negima!?, on the other hand, was about Asuna trying to get people interested in chupacabras so she can offload all of her chupacabra merch on them and stop being so poor.

Negima!? was also directed by Shinbo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Silento posted:

It's good stuff. :)

It is, yes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Diamond no Ace: Second Season
n/a, n/a - Comedy, School, Shounen, Sports
The story follows Eijun Sawamura, a pitcher who joins an elite school with a brilliant catcher named Kazuya Miyuki. Together with the rest of the team, they strive for Japan's storied Koushien championships through hard work and determination.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Diamond no Ace: Second Season
n/a, n/a - Comedy, School, Shounen, Sports
The story follows Eijun Sawamura, a pitcher who joins an elite school with a brilliant catcher named Kazuya Miyuki. Together with the rest of the team, they strive for Japan's storied Koushien championships through hard work and determination.

Hahahaha.

The show was supposed to end this month after being extended at least once already.

They might as well just say it's gonna go on indefinitely!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'it'll go on until people stop wanting to gently caress the dude with his hair in his face'

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Srice posted:

Hahahaha.

The show was supposed to end this month after being extended at least once already.

They might as well just say it's gonna go on indefinitely!

?

Edit:
Hmm, the anime itself doesn't seem to be a big hit though.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 2, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It does air at a sane timeslot so I think they just consider it an ad for the manga.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Originally, the series was financed by TV Tokyo and AT-X, who aired it along the TV Tokyo networks. In 2014 when the first extension occurred, the financing also had other companies like Pony Canyon (the video/music disc producer) finance some of the show. There's a ton of merchandise both for children as well as adult women who enjoy the show produced. It's a good hit for all involved, but nothing to the scale of Precure/Aikatsu.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I see. I still find it interesting how viable this approach is.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its actually moving from its original timeslot (8:30 AM on Sundays, which competes directly with Precure) to 6 PM on Mondays, so who knows.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It is a fun sports show. I'm not sure why goons did not like it as much as the other sports shows that started around the same time. Not as giffable as Haikyuu or Yowamushi Pedal I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grrarg posted:

It is a fun sports show. I'm not sure why goons did not like it as much as the other sports shows that started around the same time. Not as giffable as Haikyuu or Yowamushi Pedal I guess.

i think the fact that its baseball might have something to do with it too. volleyball and bike racing are stuff people don't really make movies or whatever about, don't really watch on tv, so they're interesting. baseball is a known factor that most people have seen at least a few movies about, and have probably even gone to an actual game of at some point, maybe even played when they were a kid, so it's less inherently interesting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've watched a bit of Ace of the Diamond and I feel that Yowapedal and Haikyuu both have much stronger starts. So between that and there being a billion baseball animes, it makes sense that there's not a lot of people talking about Ace compared to those shows.

Not that Ace is bad by any means though! It just felt like it was going to be a slow burn compared to Yowapedal and Haikyuu and it felt like the sort of show that's rough to watch week by week.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

How lost will I be picking up Digimon/Gintama if I've never seen them before? (But have watched retrospectives in the case of Digimon.) I assume not at all for Gintama because it's Gintama but still.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only thing you'll be missing with Gintama is just familiarity with the characters and their quirks, but otherwise you're good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

How lost will I be picking up Digimon/Gintama if I've never seen them before? (But have watched retrospectives in the case of Digimon.) I assume not at all for Gintama because it's Gintama but still.

Gintama is all about the contrasts. If you want to know more about the characters, you will put an effort towards it. For now, enjoy your juvenile comedy and occasional dramatic/badass moments.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ninja Slayer is apparently being broadcasted on web first and then the terrestrial version will be out in 2016 so you can probably scratch that from the list.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ninja Slayer is apparently being broadcasted on web first and then the terrestrial version will be out in 2016 so you can probably scratch that from the list.

does this mean like a tv station wouldnt pick them up or were they planning this all along? i really dont think too many shows get made and then they dont have a broadcast slot or something

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It costs money to have anime air in japan on broadcast channels they probably couldn't secure enough backers to front that cost.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Why? There's another web-first show running right now that nobody minded saying started almost a year ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean we're all gonna be watching the web version anyways :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

things might have changed some time ago but everything Ive seen come out from niconico has looked like poo poo because of their encoding.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

things might have changed some time ago but everything Ive seen come out from niconico has looked like poo poo because of their encoding.

Apparently, Ninja Slayer is one of those intentionally so-bad-its-good shows, so that's not necessarily to its disadvantage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If its like inferno cop then it'll be fine. They have a cool translator in house so they can have an english version up in a youtube channel for us.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Not really anime news, but: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/03/04/controversial-charlie-hebdo-responds-to-hayao-miyazakis-comments

Hebdo continues to lose my respect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Hebdo continues to lose my respect.

Why'd they have it in the first place?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was expecting something really vile but instead it's just Miyazakis' comment, a mildly racist doodle of him, and 'well you're a dumb-dumb!'

The most offensive part of that isn't even the response, it's that they're hiding behind a dead man to make it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Haha, "anime is bad" said the political cartoonist.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

mildly racist doodle

it's literally Miyazaki's face dude

E: also goddamn is that cartoon just lovely, there's no wit about it whatsoever

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

people getting mad at charlie hebdo lmao

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

people getting mad at charlie hebdo lmao

I'm not mad, not even offended about it, just saying it's poor quality.

Hell, it's not good satire unless you've pissed someone off, so from my point of view it's a complete failure there :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

it's literally Miyazaki's face dude

i was mostly talking about the weird smile he's got going on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

i was mostly talking about the weird smile he's got going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK