Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I get their purpose. I don't think they're very good at them and they lack the variety and interesting interactions of stuff like the Rec Gun.

Depending on how good you are at dodging, they are very good. It's all about positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Depending on how good you are at dodging, they are very good. It's all about positioning.

It's not about them being hard to use. It's very rare that I need to keep multiple enemies down for long and if I do I have multiple options for doing so.. They lack a unique distinct niche while being more awkward to use than other abilities in the same niche.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would you two just gently caress already.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Origins is worth a playthrough if you have any love for the series.

It does have a loving awful upgrade system that, even more than the glitches, is the clearest indicator that no one gave a solid gently caress about the game.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The extremely linear upgrade system wouldn't have been so bad if all the health ones hadn't been together right at the start. Space them out, let us upgrade other stuff in between, that might have alleviated the issue a bit.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't like having to earn the disarm combo late into the game, in a room that could bug out and ruin your progress, forcing you to start all over again.

Also the concussion grenades suck rear end because they force criminal punks to punch faster while blinded, which hampers my close quarters bonebreaking tactics. ALSO you might miss or knockout the dude before it detonates, making you lose your combo streak on detonation.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't think I've ever used the concussion grenades ever. Which, yes, makes them entirely pointless but they also do me no harm because I'm not trying to work them into a combo or something.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The thing I remember most clearly about Arkham Origins is my annoyance at how late in the game you get critical strikes.

It's a huge part of the combat in these games and they locked it behind a side quest about three quarters through the game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
My only real complaint about the combat is the shock gloves. It's too easy to activate them on accident, and you can't do take downs (on PC at least) when they activate. Batman will do a jaunty little hop towards the enemy, they go unconscious because the jaunt was too much for them, and you loose your free flow bonus. I've had other glitches happen in combat, but nothing horrible. I've also never had the concussion grenade break my free flow bonus before. I really only find it useful on the martial artists.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The dumbest thing about the Concussive Grenades is how Alfred says Batman should use them instead of his fists to dispatch of cops so that he doesn't injure them.

But all it does is stun them for, like, a couple seconds and then you beat them up anyway. :psyduck:

I also feel like Batman could've acquired the Shock Gloves without that pointless Electrocutioner fight, funny as it was.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You are a huge snob if you've played all three Arkham games and you recommend that people skip Arkham Origins.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Has there been any word on recommended PC requirements for Arkham Knight? I wonder if it'll be on par with other Unreal 3 games...

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The dumbest thing about the Concussive Grenades is how Alfred says Batman should use them instead of his fists to dispatch of cops so that he doesn't injure them.

But all it does is stun them for, like, a couple seconds and then you beat them up anyway. :psyduck:

I also feel like Batman could've acquired the Shock Gloves without that pointless Electrocutioner fight, funny as it was.

that's not how he acquired them. he stole them later.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Has there been any word on recommended PC requirements for Arkham Knight? I wonder if it'll be on par with other Unreal 3 games...

It's next-gen console and PC only, so probably more than other UE3 games which were tuned for last generation, but not overly so, if only because next-gen consoles are essentially optimized laptops.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

that's not how he acquired them. he stole them later.

No, I mean that I feel like they could've been in the game without the need for that guy to take up a spot that could've been used by a better assassin.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno, I think Electrocutioner injected a bit of levity into an otherwise grim and gritty game. If there was any slot that could have been replaced, it was Killer Croc's. He's in the game for like 5 minutes - and he still could have been in the game for those 5 minutes and just not been one of the assassins. Replace him with, I don't know, David Cain?

edit - No, Cheshire. Replace him with Cheshire. I love Cheshire.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I say give more obscure dudes some spotlight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Egghead!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Ratcatcher or Clock King

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MrJacobs posted:

Ratcatcher or Clock King

Ratcatcher's dead, probably- clock king might work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Condiment King. :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrJacobs posted:

Ratcatcher or Clock King

Both represented in Arkham Asylum.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You are a huge snob if you've played all three Arkham games and you recommend that people skip Arkham Origins.

If having opinions makes me a snob so be it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm just saying, I would have to think a game sucked pretty bad to recommend people skip it. As in I couldn't see how anyone of any personality type would enjoy it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
It's not like games are free. Arkham Origins costs money and the next proper Rocksteady developed game is right around the corner. The only thing I'd recommend Origins for is the multiplayer and that's completely dead on the PC. (Dunno about consoles)

Origins isn't bad so much as it's extremely bland, and none of the new additions mesh well with the established mechanics at all.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I wouldn't have recommended Origins for the multiplayer even when it was brand new. Origins was an excellent game by industry standards - it just wasn't quite up to par with Rocksteady's output. And it's ridiculous to simultaneously argue that they shouldn't pay 10 bucks for Origins now that it's a year or two old and probably on sale somewhere because it isn't worth it, then turn around and say they should wait for 60 dollar Arkham Knight. I mean, I'm gonna pay for Arkham Knight right out of the gate, but don't pretend that Origins isn't worth 10.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My favorite part of Origins was when Batman said that DNA analysis indicated that the car hit the victim at high speed.

It hit him so hard he became a different person.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TechnoSyndrome posted:

It's not like games are free. Arkham Origins costs money and the next proper Rocksteady developed game is right around the corner. The only thing I'd recommend Origins for is the multiplayer and that's completely dead on the PC. (Dunno about consoles)

Origins isn't bad so much as it's extremely bland, and none of the new additions mesh well with the established mechanics at all.

i think that is why a bunch of people here said to get it on sale as opposed to full price. The game is bound to be at a massive discount sooner than later. I wouldn't say, for all of its faults, that Origins was worth zero dollars. I actually kind of had a bit more investment in the narrative than I did with Asylum. Of course, bugs and design choices kind of doused my enjoyment quite a bit. Origins was definitely the most frustrating of the three for me by a long shot. City was "the coolest" overall. Some of the writing pulled me out of it but it remains the best of the three for me. Asylum is just a good game. Nothing too special to say about it.

Edit: I haven't checked how much Origins costs. If the game is less than $20 it is worth it, IMO.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm just saying, I would have to think a game sucked pretty bad to recommend people skip it. As in I couldn't see how anyone of any personality type would enjoy it.

Origins pretty much instantly made City's formula stale for me by virtue of being the same content but executed much worse, and the biggest reason I'm excited for Arkham Knight is because it looks like it's going to switch things up as much as City did compared to Asylum. I don't mind telling people to avoid tiring themselves out.

I should also mention that Origins' writing is hysterically overrated.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Origns is a very good game

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

My favorite part of Origins was when Batman said that DNA analysis indicated that the car hit the victim at high speed.

Have you seen how fast the Batmobile goes in the AK trailers? :rice:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pirate Jet posted:

Origins pretty much instantly made City's formula stale for me by virtue of being the same content but executed much worse, and the biggest reason I'm excited for Arkham Knight is because it looks like it's going to switch things up as much as City did compared to Asylum. I don't mind telling people to avoid tiring themselves out.

I should also mention that Origins' writing is hysterically overrated.

I have the same issues with Origin, though I did think the writing was an improvement over City, though again this is still in terms of "licensed video game based on a comic book." I still liked Asylum's story the most, it's the least ambitious but at the same time left them with the least amount of room. Even then I mean, all three games have pretty stupid writing but whatever. :) It's like the AAA multi-million dollar equivalent of PRESIDENT RONNIE HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY THE NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE RONNIE? Like the fighting and movement is so much fun they could have just about anything and it would still be awesome because of how good it feels to beat up dudes and glide around before and after.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Origns is a very good game

for me to poop on!!! lol

But seriously, leave it to the professionals. Origins aesthetically to me feels like a cash-in to the Christopher Nolan films, and the game itself to me feels like a years too late cash-in because 1): Deathstroke, as an addon you pay for has a good chunk of Robin's playstyle, so it's like you're paying for the same poo poo again and 2): The past arkham games suggest it's based on a grittier version of the cartoons, so Origins feels so different, yet the same from City just because they used the same assets.

So basically to me it looks like something resembling the films to hide their incompetence of them trying to make a game that matches the brilliance of the past two arkham games.

Yes I'm sucking Arkham dick with no pay, what of it?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 5, 2015

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Origins is still a very good game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

What about the very first crime scene where he IDs a guy by staring at the back of his head?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

one of Origins few cool ideas was the rewind virtual reality crime scene stuff. Total nonsense, but a nice evolution from "find the whiskey trail/blood" from the first two entries.

And I feel like this board has argued the argument a billion times, but Arkham City is a crazy ambitious story told fairly poorly. Origins has a much stronger throughline and is actually coherent, but is also yet ANOTHER "Year One Batman" riff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I still remember how surprised and blown away I was by the Arkham Asylum demo back in... Jesus Christ, 2009? The fighting system was amazing, the predator section was cool, hell even the glitches were fun!

Now 6 years later I'm of two minds whether I just want this series to go forever or if they should quit with Arkham Knight before the games start feeling like Assassin's Creed style soulless cash-in sequels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

Wasn't that due to his, uh, DNA being splattered all over the place rather than the DNA itself?

Magical ID machine either way but still.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Now 6 years later I'm of two minds whether I just want this series to go forever or if they should quit with Arkham Knight before the games start feeling like Assassin's Creed style soulless cash-in sequels.

Have we all forgotten how enormous of a leap Arkham City was compared to Asylum? I don't just mean in terms of "NOW THERE'S AN OPEN WORLD!," I mean the massive improvements to combat, stealth, and just the gameplay in general. Even the challenge rooms are infinitely better than Asylum's already-great ones.

Origins was seriously the only one to stagnate, and that's why I said earlier that I'm totally happy to recommend that people skip it. It's like they took Arkham City's formula and tried to make it as monotonous as humanly possible. Seriously, they even removed every kind of Riddler challenge that wasn't "collect the trophy." No in-environment easter egg hunting, no lining up question marks, nothing.

Narcissus1916 posted:

one of Origins few cool ideas was the rewind virtual reality crime scene stuff. Total nonsense, but a nice evolution from "find the whiskey trail/blood" from the first two entries.

It's cool in concept, but let's be real with ourselves - Origins' crime scenes, in execution, were very flashy pixel hunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm a fan of all three of the games, though Origin is clearly the "least" of them, which makes sense given it wasn't actually made by Rocksteady. I'm just saying that I fear the quality has to eventually hit a decline (some people argue City already marked a decline, but I loved it) and that it might be better to end it on Knight, even though I'd love to be able to play Batman games like this forever.

• Locked thread