Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Why on earth did they do that? Truck was in the inside lane, on an empty road, they had as much overtaking room as they could have wanted.

No idea, but being in Aus, i would imagine that the truck was a road train, which would also explain the massive stopping distance.

It was an obviously intentional move, but no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mooseykins posted:

It was an obviously intentional move, but no idea why.
"I want to be in front of you, but not go as fast as you're going right now", ie think they get to tell people what speed they should drive.
the message police and government constantly tell us is "Speed kills" don't you know? Absolute morons still want to be in front though.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Have a positive story for once.

I live right on an intersection and diagonally from me is a gas station. Last night while watching tv I saw a man pull into said gas station. He tried to pull the hose to the opposite side to fill his tank. (Tank was on the outside). Here's something I've never seen before. He realized his mistake, Got in his car, turned it around, then filled his tank on the proper side. I stood in my window and applauded.

- posting from phone

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I know it is frustrating when people slow the gently caress down during any weather at all, but when there is literal flash flooding and over two inches of standing water on the road I am going to not be going 75+ mph mr brotruck. It's a 4 lane highway and I'm in the far right, you can go around me and hydroplane to your heart's content instead of giving me a lightshow with a lovely chorus of honks for entertainment.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fo3 posted:

"I want to be in front of you, but not go as fast as you're going right now", ie think they get to tell people what speed they should drive.
the message police and government constantly tell us is "Speed kills" don't you know? Absolute morons still want to be in front though.

I get that all the time. I only do 62mph on the motorway and frequently get overtaken by idiots who then slow down to about 55. Either that or i overtake someone, then they get the arse and overtake me and slow down again. That gets on my loving tits when they do that. In the van i used to drive for work it was just painful, as it was a 25' long, 11' tall, 7' wide Sprinter box van that was waaay underpowered. It took so long for it to get up to speed, then just as you do, same oval office gets in front and slows down to 55 again.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I know it is frustrating when people slow the gently caress down during any weather at all, but when there is literal flash flooding and over two inches of standing water on the road I am going to not be going 75+ mph mr brotruck. It's a 4 lane highway and I'm in the far right, you can go around me and hydroplane to your heart's content instead of giving me a lightshow with a lovely chorus of honks for entertainment.

I really don't understand people who tailgate when there are empty lanes for them to overtake. Do they want you to drive down the hardshould so they can overtake you without changing lanes??

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well, I can certainly overtake a van! ...whee this one's a bit of a struggler isn't he? Nice, got him. Well, back to the speed limit!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

wayfinder posted:

Well, I can certainly overtake a van! ...whee this one's a bit of a struggler isn't he? Nice, got him. Well, back to the speed limit!

Motorway speed limit is 70 here, so i'm already doing 8 under when twunts do that to me. :eng99:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I honestly don't get the obsession with being in front. I loving love being passed. It means that there's one less car in my hair and one more car to attract cops down the road.

Case in point: I was on the highway yesterday in the left lane passing a string of cars when behind I see a Porsche gaining on me at about 5mph. So I move over to let him pass and get back over. Took less than a minute and no skin off my back. A few miles down, this police cruiser comes screaming up and pulls the Porsche over. I'm not saying he deserved it or that I took some kind of pleasure in it. I'm saying that doing the right thing is actually directly beneficial to you and it baffles me that more people don't understand this.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Mooseykins posted:

Motorway speed limit is 70 here, so i'm already doing 8 under when twunts do that to me. :eng99:

I thought I was the only person using this word.

Related: My imp maxes out at about 60 and has a 0-60 time of about a week so I've got that sorta thing to look forward to if I ever venture North enough to encounter a motorway.

It is nice though, when people just pass you and generally will not expect you to be able to move as quickly as the rest of traffic. It makes driving much more relaxing imo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Hikaki posted:

I honestly don't get the obsession with being in front. I loving love being passed. It means that there's one less car in my hair and one more car to attract cops down the road.

Case in point: I was on the highway yesterday in the left lane passing a string of cars when behind I see a Porsche gaining on me at about 5mph. So I move over to let him pass and get back over. Took less than a minute and no skin off my back. A few miles down, this police cruiser comes screaming up and pulls the Porsche over. I'm not saying he deserved it or that I took some kind of pleasure in it. I'm saying that doing the right thing is actually directly beneficial to you and it baffles me that more people don't understand this.

I don't get it either. I go everywhere at 62mph because it's better for fuel economy and i'm a cheap oval office, have no desire to go faster or overtake anyone. I'm in the slow lane with the trucks most of the time. My van has a bouncy seat, twin arm rests and a thirst for diesel, i'm happy there at 62 in comfort, singing badly to my questionable music.

Drove my car from London to Malaga in the south of Spain last year, 1,400 miles each way, at 62mph. French speed limit is 80, Spanish is 70. I was usually the slowest car on the road, but when getting 680 miles to a tank it's all good. When i was going though a Spanish mountain range i rapidly became the fastest car on the road, with 12% inclines and a turbodiesel Golf with a lot of torque.

I also take great satisfaction in getting blown past by idiots who get pulled over down the road, or go through speed cameras.

Another idiot from my dash cam archive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwW_NOjxlAA

What can't be seen in the video is him riding my bumper, and then being practically alongside me down the hatchings as the silver Ford passed in the other direction. I was happy when he hosed off into the distance.

Another, I will admit that he did this quite well though. (I'm sure i've done as bad or worse in the car..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUI8Oay5_-g

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That 2nd video is private.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I thought I was the only person using this word.

Me too!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Related: My imp maxes out at about 60 and has a 0-60 time of about a week so I've got that sorta thing to look forward to if I ever venture North enough to encounter a motorway.

My van is surprisingly quick to accelerate, for a big vehicle. Obviously not car-like acceleration, but it's rated for 3.5t + 2t trailer, so it does quite well. But people do expect it to do 0-whatever like a loving dragster. Especially in town and fully loaded. GOD DAMNIT, WAIT, THIS FUCKER HAS HORRENDOUS TURBO LAG, gently caress OFF CUNTS, I'M TRYING.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

It is nice though, when people just pass you and generally will not expect you to be able to move as quickly as the rest of traffic. It makes driving much more relaxing imo.

The French are great for this, with a lot of 2-lane dual carriageways they're very patient with cars/vans/trucks/caravans overtaking slower traffic. No beeping the horn, no flashing their lights or getting pissed, and everyone there moves back into the slow lane when they're done overtaking. It just works so well, unlike here.

Belgians on the other hand.. they think they're loving NASCAR drivers, doing 100mph in the fast line, an inch from each other. If you move into their lane, god help you, they ride your loving bumper until you move over, then speed past you. At least they don't beep or flash you though.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cage posted:

That 2nd video is private.

Still loading!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the guy passing everyone but then actually continuing on at speed. Please just let me through, I promise I won't hold you up, even if my car looks like it barely has the stones to make it at highway speeds, I assure you I will be doing flat out 100 the moment I get space.

9 times out of 10 I get cut off and brake checked by a wannabe traffic warden.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm the guy passing everyone but then actually continuing on at speed. Please just let me through, I promise I won't hold you up, even if my car looks like it barely has the stones to make it at highway speeds, I assure you I will be doing flat out 100 the moment I get space.

I am sometimes like that, but rarely. A while ago coming back from France in the van, only train i could book left at 11:50pm and check-in closed at 11:20pm. I got stuck in traffic leaving Paris, main motorway was shut and it took an hour to get out of there, which made my ETA 12:20am.

DEADLINES MOTHERFUCKERS! (I made it there at 11:10pm, and practically drove from the entrance gates at Eurotunnel onto the train without stopping.)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Now do it in an apocalyptic downpour with less than 200 feet of visibility and 2 inches of standing water on the road :suicide:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mooseykins posted:

Drove my car from London to Malaga in the south of Spain last year, 1,400 miles each way, at 62mph. French speed limit is 80, Spanish is 70. I was usually the slowest car on the road, but when getting 680 miles to a tank it's all good.

Its amazing how much extra speed will knock off the econony of some cars. I did a tour around France in a leased diesel Megane and increasing the speed from 130kmh to 140 seemed to knock hundreds of kilometers off the expected distance to empty. Even dropping back to 110 (which I think is the limit anyway when it's raining) made a very noticeable further improvement.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dissss posted:

Its amazing how much extra speed will knock off the econony of some cars. I did a tour around France in a leased diesel Megane and increasing the speed from 130kmh to 140 seemed to knock hundreds of kilometers off the expected distance to empty. Even dropping back to 110 (which I think is the limit anyway when it's raining) made a very noticeable further improvement.

At 62 i get 55-65mpg depending on conditions/temperature/gradient, at 70 i get about 45mpg. Pretty decent difference in economy for only 8mph speed difference. I've had 72mpg out of it once, which was quite accurate when calculated properly too. Also smoother and quieter at 62, which helps on a 30-40-hour drive to Spain.

According to the dash i get 16.9mpg @ 145mph! :eng101:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

My car is rated for something like 29MPG city, 38MPG highway. I average 24 mixed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have two speeds; 73 in a 70 which is slow enough to get passed by 99% of all drivers, but fast enough to avoid semis passing me, or 85 which means someone is irritating me and I want to get away from them. I'll usually tick the cruise down to 70 or so to try and be the slower car, but if someone has targeted me for whatever reason (driving in the far right lane with cruise on is enough to set some people off), then I'll blast up to whatever speeds I feel necessary to get some distance.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I like to go about 74 when cruising. On this particular highway that I frequent, everyone goes either 70 or 80+, so what happens is that I pass about about 70% of traffic, 30% of traffic passes me, and I end up in the nice oasis that is in between the convoys that typically form. Feels good man.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Geirskogul posted:

Where is this bundle of joy thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683302

BraveUlysses posted:

PYF. It turns into a shitstorm every now and then tbh

It just went on a five or six page shitshow derail matter of fact. The thread produces its own schadenfreude quite regularly.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dissss posted:

Power increase to maintain higher speed is roughly quadratic for the speeds that cars run.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Fo3 posted:

I'd be inclined to say insurance fraud actually.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So this happened the other day. There are one-way access roads on either side of the highway. I'm with the traffic in green. This lady is in red. Turns directly into oncoming traffic (3 lanes). We all honk and flash our lights. She passes me and doesn't even look at me. Then she proceeds to take the one-way U-turn going in the wrong direction...

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

lmao what in the actual gently caress. How did she not die/isn't already dead

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=80b_1425646135

Dummy driver

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I actually agree with the Liveleak commenter's fault percentages. He called it 60% car's fault, 40% the truck. Obviously the car driver was totally retarded, but the truck driver could have de-escalated the situation instead of speeding up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im glad things happened the way they did though or else we wouldn't have had a video.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Trucks don't accelerate that quickly, the cars in front of him were slowing. And that car on the side was trying to fit into such a narrow spot I would have been making GBS threads myself. Pretending this is anything but the impatient car driver's fault is hilarious. He could have just waited for them to pass the slow moving truck...or backed out of his dumbass move any time in the 5 seconds he had to before he just hit the truck.

All the truck did was get illegally passed and then take avoiding action that didn't matter. It's a drat truck, not a sportscar.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac5_1425615288

quote:

The Subaru came from behind at around 100mph in moderate morning traffic. He cut from the fast lane to the slow lane and got trapped behind this Lexus. Subaru was honking and tailgating for a mile or two. Lexus remained calm with the Subaru behind him and maintained a slow but constant speed. Lexus never brake checked Subaru. Subaru then passes Lexus on the shoulder. 0:02 rolls down window and throws something at Lexus. Once in front of the Lexus he starts brake checking him. The Lexus came close to crashing into him twice. The Subaru threw a couple of bottles at him later at the interchange and they both went on their merry ways on different freeways.

I thought the Subaru was having some sort of emergency and had to get to the hospital or something, he was driving that crazy. Then he started brake checking and throwing bottles so in the end he was just a douche.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Michael Scott posted:

I actually agree with the Liveleak commenter's fault percentages. He called it 60% car's fault, 40% the truck. Obviously the car driver was totally retarded, but the truck driver could have de-escalated the situation instead of speeding up.

It looked like traffic ahead was braking, not like the truck was speeding up.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Wow, what did the Subaru expect to happen when he got into the far right lane? "Let's see, there's three lanes to the left to pass. Well maybe I'll just get really mad instead."

I agree the truck is partially to blame but I'm glad that the VW will probably think twice about trying to pull that poo poo in the future now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm just mostly impressed that the VW kept the wheels down and were able to roll to a stop. And also, gently caress that guy. Trucker dude could maybe have been a little less assertive, but when you actively merge into the side of a semi you just passed just to arrive at your destination 0.2 seconds earlier, you kinda deserve what you get.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stupid enough to not park in an actual parking spot, but not stupid enough to be considered a disability?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I wonder if you can hit them with 2 tickets, one for each handicap space.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

Stupid enough to not park in an actual parking spot, but not stupid enough to be considered a disability?

It's a client of ours and that lot is outside of the business she owns. She parks like this every day, or at least that is where it is parked every time I am on site.

xergm posted:

I wonder if you can hit them with 2 tickets, one for each handicap space.

Probably not, but even if I did report it they are a well known name in the community so nothing would happen.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gorson posted:

Probably not, but even if I did report it they are a well known name in the community so nothing would happen.

Too bad she's a client or i'd suggest my reply from earlier in the thread:

toplitzin posted:

Any nearby cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

That's like an ad for a Lexus. No idea how he didn't slam into the guy.

eriddy posted:

lmao what in the actual gently caress. How did she not die/isn't already dead

I don't know but I feel bad for the guy coming the opposite way on the turnaround thing because there is no way to expect that poo poo.