Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Previous Megathread
:guitar:COMPETE WITH GOONS:guitar:
Excellent forums user Beelzebozo started a list of players and gamertags. You can view it here. If you want to appear on the list, fill out this form!

Pops Mgee posted:

Someone post the Green Day floating guitar gif please.
On October 6 2015, Harmonix Music Systems released Rock Band 4, the official sequel to the highly successful Rock Band 2. That is not a typo.
This was preceded by over an entire year of HMX transitioning from outright denial, to deliberate dodginess on the subject, to some pretty heavy-handed hint-dropping such as a surprise renewal of Rock Band DLC delivery in January 2015 (it was originally shut down in April 2013 and laid dormant since), and more or less egging people on via social networking with posts like "If someone were to hypothetically maybe some day think about perhaps maybe oh, I dunno, making a sequel to the Rock Band series, what features would that hypothetical person hypothetically want, hypothetically speaking?"
The amalgamous nature of Rock Band, such as everyone using different specially designed controllers, and having different individually-purchased song lists, as well as the deeply terrifying involvement of record labels and music licensing contracts, has previously led to much bumpier transitions between sequels than with other game series, and this time, things are being made even harder by Rock Band's first transition between console generations.

The Good:
  • All your old DLC and exports DO work in the game. There are still a few niche cases where bundle-only songs, songs released in promotions, and songs removed from the store still can't be obtained, but hey 1,650 out of 1,692 ain't bad. Sony has apparently been dragging their feet on signing off HMX's (unprecedented) store permission requests, so PS4 players may be missing a few more songs if you originally got them by exporting old expansion discs back in the day.
  • Your old controllers work with the game too! PS4 players can simply plug in the PS3 dongle. If you are on Xbone you'll have to buy the "Legacy Adapter" more like lag-acy adapter which is a small black box with a sync button that plugs into your console's USB port and lets you sync up multiple Xbox 360 instruments to use them in Rock Band 4. Support for old wired controllers is being added by the end of 2016, but you'll have to buy a USB-to-USB adapter (no really) because Microsoft.
  • Literally all old songs that predate Harmonies mode have been upgraded and are now playable in Harmonies mode. This is the best thing ever. This was actually a community-made mod for Rock Band 3 which HMX adopted as official content. Some of the people responsible for the upgrades post on these very forums! A few upgrades are broken (All-Star, Godzilla) but game updates always contain single-song fixes, so you can expect any issues to get stamped out eventually.
  • The game now recognizes Full Combos (making it through the whole song in one long combo). Your multiplier begins with a gold outline that will disappear and make a fizzling sound if you make any mistakes. If you carry the gold outline all the way to the end of the song, the Pills narrator from Binding of Isaac will growl "full combo" at you. Songs you have FC'd will be be flanked by gold laurels on the song select screen, and appear next to your score on the leaderboards.

• Pressing start in multiplayer will bring up your menu, but will not pause the game anymore until you select the "pause" option on said menu. This prevents players with humongous mutant hands and apparently really bad motor control from accidentally pausing the entire game and throwing everyone for a loop, which is always embarrassing. As embarrassing as those hands.
  • Because of the above-mentioned pause system overhaul, all new guitar controllers now have instant-on pause buttons. (Some controllers from the RB3 & Beatles era will still work the old way because they are hard-wired with a delay and you have to hold the button for a second to prevent accidental presses.)
  • Multiple instruments can sign into the same gamertag. Yes! Finally, you can play a guitar and sing into a mic stand and get credit for both!
  • The song select screen is now silent! (unless you're previewing a song.) I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was a happy mistake, as opposed to a conscious decision by anyone.
  • The game now features rest counters for all songs (including old ones). The rest counters work by scanning the MIDI file that contains everyone's notes, and if a player has no notes for at least eight consecutive measures in the MIDI file, they get a countdown so they know when their cue is coming. The countdown system is retroactive, meaning you don't have to actually wait eight measures to see a countdown. If a song has a nine-measure rest, the player will see a nine-measure countdown appear as soon as they hit the last note before the rest. The eight measure minimum exists to keep countdowns from appearing over short rests and causing confusion and/or clutter. This system is 99% accurate. In extreme cases songs with very low tempos, unusual time signatures, or unconventional MIDI files may not display countdowns.
  • Freestyle Vocals is a new feature that solo singers can turn on. Harmonix was aware of the age-old paradox in which professional singers would still fail Rock Band songs simply because they did not match the charted vocals exactly as they appear on the original recording. Freestyle vocals displays the same note chart as Solo vocals, but also contains ledger lines displaying the key and scale information for every song, so if a singer deviates from the original charted version of a song they still get full credit as long as they are singing in-key. You will see the ledger lines changing in time with the song to reflect chord changes and key changes. To prevent cheating, freestyle ledger lines only score points if they are sung while simultaneously missing official charted notes. Additionally, overused ledger lines will fade out and turn into misses if a singer tries to fudge a song by holding a single correct note. Freestyle is supported by all new RB4 songs and some old songs. Because key and scale information was not written into old DLC, old songs only support Freestyle Vocals if the song contains a guitar solo (which requires the addition of said chord information).

The Bad:
  • The game is half-baked as gently caress. All those cool new features in the "good" list were "added" while simultaneously removing everything else from the game. Rock Band 4 launched with a dearth of features so severe it felt like HMX themselves were trying to make a Chinese knockoff of their own game with no access to the original documents. I'm not talking about trivial changes like the loss of background video effects, really basic core elements that have been in the game since the first one in 2007 are head-scratchingly absent, like Practice Mode, online multiplayer, character creation, custom artwork, carreer stats, harmony accuracy results, trainers, goals, song sorters and list filters, half of every song's metadata is now permanently invisible because the "more information" screen was removed, and more. There's literally so much missing from the game that you can't really list it without looking like an rear end in a top hat and the only way to really tell is by playing the game for a while and observing how many brickwalls you hit. After community whining, HMX started patching in Brutal Mode and more clothing for your non-customizable character some missing features like practice mode which, surprise surprise, was also missing features previous practice modes had such as isolating instruments, greater playback speed control, and viewing harmony lyrics that are normally hidden. Online multiplayer is allegedly coming out at the end of 2016*, but you have to pay $30 for it. As far as its functionality or stability, keep your expectations low.
    *Greetings from 2017! Guess what hasn't come out yet!
  • The Xbone legacy adapter seems to cause some trouble. It makes the game uncalibratable by giving different players different milliseconds of latency, has difficulty (or is unable to) let people with legacy instruments sign into different gamertags, and causes bizarre bugs on the Xbone home menu. My xbone became unable to launch any apps properly until I unplugged the adapter. Your mileage may vary.
  • Ignoring the missing feature gripes, the overall game has very little polish. Menus are full of hangups and framerate issues. Caching issues would make the game scan your hard drive more than once per session, manifesting a game-breaking bug that took 6 months to patch. The graphics look barebones and very beta-ish, with no post-processing, flat lighting and vague, smoothed-over animation (except guitar solos! There's new animation sets for guitarists who are soloing and they are actually really nice.)
  • You can no longer play as keyboardist. I fuckin loved Keys mode but I agree with this decision 100% since it never really fit in the band and felt more like its own game. C'est la vie.
  • You can't make custom characters anymore. Well, you can, if you consider the ability to swap pre-made heads on pre-made bodies full customization.
  • The lag is real. Only a fraction of the blame rests with Harmonix though, most of it is unfixable latency built into the new-gen consoles themselves, since Microsoft and Sony figured that since it's the 2010's and the average consumer has a laggy flat-panel HDTV, nobody would ever notice 100 milliseconds audio/video/input lag, made worse by the requirement that the game be played over HDMI, made even worse still if you actually are using a laggy flat-panel HDTV. I even went out of my way to find a high-end widescreen hi-def CRT display with HDMI support so I could presumably play Xbone in a zero-lag environment, but nope, there is absolutely no avoiding it anymore. Using different combinations of audio and display hardware, I've been able to run literally any Rock Band game with AV calibrations of zero-zero. With Rock Band 4, using even optical audio and a special ultra-low-latency HDTV, the minimum lag offset is still 40ms for both audio and video. You're half-right to say this is nit-picky. An offset of 40ms would be trivial for a cinematic GTA-type game, but it is game-breaking for a music-rhythm game if you don't already know exactly how to calibrate an AV setup.
  • Because the aforementioned lag always exists, all three core members (vocals, strings, drums) have had to make gameplay concessions, even if you're a rocket scientist and have calibrated your display and sound system down to the millisecond. Singers can't play with their voice turned on anymore because (Sound>USB encoder>Xbone game>HDMI encoder>your receiver) takes hundreds of milliseconds and any audio feedback can only be delivered with tons of latency. Likewise, drum fills have to be pre-authored because the I/O lag (and backend HDMI latency) prevents you from playing your own fills in-time. Freestyle guitar solos were a promising feature that was robbed of all precision and responsiveness because the game simply cannot make sounds at the same time you press a button.
  • The transition to new-gen consoles has had a devastating effect on sound quality in games that use multitrack like Rock Band does. This isn't HMX's fault; the Xbone by default applies heavy dynamic compression to all sound it makes because they believe it's "better" this way as well as applying heavy postproc to its video output to make basic graphics look like HDR graphics (since otherwise they'd be identical to PS4 oh noooooooo). This actually has an adverse affect on audio and video quality, but producers jump all over it since it's a cheap and easy way to make your hardware look more polished on the surface (GJ Microsoft!). As a result of this, you can't really adjust the sound levels in Rock Band 4. Everything already starts out at max volume, so if you wanted to bring anything forward, you have to turn down everything else. However, doing so would lower the average amplitude of the game's sound output and the Xbone will "help" by bringing it back up. That means changing volume levels does virtually nothing except increase the noise ratio of the new mix while the volume levels stay the same. Hooray for the HDMI era!
  • All the pitch indicators look almost identical so Harmony players can't tell who they are. Rest in peace, Pizza, Goldfish, and Needle.

:siren:Let me finish though by saying Harmonix has shown serious commitment to earnestly developing more stuff for the game and fixing problems and listening to the community. The game's state reeks of bad release timing, not lazy production.:siren:

:black101::guitar:FREQUENTLY AXED QUESTIONS:guitar::black101:

Q:What consoles is it for?
A: Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Q:Those snakes! What about my investment in the series on Xbox 360 and PS3?
A: Everyone else was scared about this too and Harmonix only went forward with the new-gen option after making sure the game would still support old controllers and DLC (which it does).

Q: Do I have to buy an Xbox One to access all the poo poo I bought on Xbox 360, and vice-versa for Playstation?
A: Yes. Because of lawyers, you are going to have to put up with some serious vendor lock-in here. A lot of people in this thread can be heard grumbling about how crummy the Xbone is after buying one just to play RB4. People like me.

Q: Can you export Rock Band 3's songs just like all the other games?
A: Yes. You can download the Rock Band 3 soundtrack from the "exports" section of the new store. It costs money. You are only eligible for the export if your gamertag has played RB3 in the past.

Q: What about the custom songs community for Rock Band 3?
A: When RB4 was announced there were fears that it may curtail the healthy, mod-driven afterlife that Rock Band 3 was enjoying. I'm happy to say that as of 2016 customs are still being produced and RB3 has managed to keep going forward parallel to RB4 thanks to the nerdpower behind it. Kinda like the relation Melee has with all the other Smash Bros. games. Even I made a song!

Q: And just who are you?
A: If you are in the Pacific Northwest, you can find me at almost every event hosted by SeattleRockBandGroup. This is their Twitter also. In addition, the second Sunday of every month BATTLE ROCK SEATTLE is hosted at the Unicorn, where you can watch me singing harmonies with legendary road crew members Tom Sisco and PMSLammy. I also attend PAX each year and we host the PAX after-party. I stream irregularly and people who want to know when I am somewhere doing something should follow my twitter. My gamertag is "Orange HarrLson" spelled with an L because a dormant account is squatting the proper one. Feel free to add me for either RB3 online or RB4 score chasing. My steam is here.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've already switched to Project Diva F on my Vita. Sorry.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Old 360 DLC/imports be damned, I'll just play it on the PS4. Not throwing a few hundred on a new console AND new equipment. Can't wait to impotently flail around on drums once again!

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
Bying an Xbone is probably cheaper than rebuying all the dlc I've got on my old 360. Still great news.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hope they somehow figure out how to get the RB3 songs in to RB4 considering that game didn't have an export key.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Astro7x posted:

Hope they somehow figure out how to get the RB3 songs in to RB4 considering that game didn't have an export key.

If they do it they'll handle it the same way they handled RB1: buy a key for five bucks from the PSN and put the disc in.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

This and Forza have pushed me over to an XBone. A system for 2 franchises.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

suddenlyissoon posted:

You 360 --> PS4 people sure are salty. Not nearly as salty as the kids at neogaf though.

Not salty I just dont want to buy another whole console so I might just start over on PS4. I understand why I cant have my DLC from my 360.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Astro7x posted:

RB3 has an export key. It's machine-printed on the back of the instruction manual, just like RB2. Hell, even The Beatles: Rock Band had an (unused) export key printed.
The codes are actually just to individually identify each physical copy of the game, but in the event of exporting, can be used to confirm that only one export-per-disc is performed.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Orange Harrison posted:

RB3 has an export key. It's machine-printed on the back of the instruction manual, just like RB2. Hell, even The Beatles: Rock Band had an (unused) export key printed.
The codes are actually just to individually identify each physical copy of the game, but in the event of exporting, can be used to confirm that only one export-per-disc is performed.

Straight from an article:

"Due to licensing restrictions, Rock Band 3’s on-disc music will also not be available in Rock Band 4, though Harmonix told IGN that it’s possible that a deal could be reached in the future for this to happen. Songs from The Beatles: Rock Band will also not be making the leap to Rock Band 4."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rad Valtar posted:

Not salty I just dont want to buy another whole console so I might just start over on PS4. I understand why I cant have my DLC from my 360.

It doesn't sound like 100% of old DLC will necessarily be available especially at first, so starting over may not be the giant blow it sounds like.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I hope there's an export solution for people who bought RB3 as a downloadable game, I don't have my physical copy anymore.

Excited to see the new character creator and find out if they've dropped keyboard support or what.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I honestly thought Rock Band / plastic instrument rhythm games were over with forever.

Does Microsoft/Xbox do Rock Band DLC better in some way than Sony/PS4? I know Rock Band was much more popular on the X360 than PS3 but can't remember if there was a reason for it.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
I'm hoping they will still let me connect my actual drumkit. How long did it take last time before they made those adapter thingies?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Meta Ridley posted:

I honestly thought Rock Band / plastic instrument rhythm games were over with forever.

Does Microsoft/Xbox do Rock Band DLC better in some way than Sony/PS4? I know Rock Band was much more popular on the X360 than PS3 but can't remember if there was a reason for it.

Way more people and their friends owned 360s than PS3s over the lifespan of Rock Band so most of us just gravitated to buying it on that platform.

I have to imagine that the regular key charts in past songs will be playable on guitar at the least even if there isn't discrete keys support moving forward.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Rock Band is a prime example of a great product being hosed continuously and painfully by every corporation larger than them. Sony, Microsoft, every recording label they have songs with, the corpse of Michael Jackson, ect.

I hope they release another full Foo Fighters album, because playing all of Colour and the Shape is one of my favorite experiences with friends and I'd love to do the same thing with Wasting Light. Dave Grohl is a pretty cool guy and he owns most of his own music so it should be easy right

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Maybe I'm going to wait and see which platform the game is being natively coded for before choosing a side.
Plus, I'm positive the Xbone will re-lower their price at least once by the time RB4 is out.
Whatever console I buy this year, it is going to be used pretty much exclusively for playing The Rock Bands*, so I'm in no hurry to get one until I need one.

*Every other game I care about I play on PC oops.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I am so excited about this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Welp, looks like this is going to force my hand to get an XBone. I actually crunched out how much money I spent on DLC over the years and it rang up to something like $700.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hope there's an export solution for people who bought RB3 as a downloadable game, I don't have my physical copy anymore.

Excited to see the new character creator and find out if they've dropped keyboard support or what.

Keyboards are gone.

I just posted this:

Due to licensing restrictions, Rock Band 3’s on-disc music will also not be available in Rock Band 4

E: whoops you said digital.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rad Valtar posted:

Keyboards are gone.

I just posted this:

Due to licensing restrictions, Rock Band 3’s on-disc music will also not be available in Rock Band 4

E: whoops you said digital.

Yeah I was curious if there might be a legal loophole there or something, since it's already a download. Seems unlikely but you never know.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The saddest part of the loss of keys is in RB3 I had a custom character named Larry Keyes modeled after "Larry" the overweight mulleted NPC that played patty-cake with a Roland synthesizer in HMX's original Guitar Hero games, and now he is orphaned. :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm praying for cross-platform DLC even though I have two guitars, a mic and two extra cymbals + some silencers on my drum kit for PS3. I was eventually going to get an XBox this generation but Rock Band is one of those games that can lock me into a console on its own and I didn't think it was ever coming back.

I have a lot of DLC but if RB1/RB2/RB3/ACDC aren't portable then I might start over. At least there's a market for the hardware again!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 5, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm probably in. I do wonder though, right now they have said that "all" (and we know that it is going to be the majority, but not all) of the previously purchased songs will become available, at no extra charge to users who bought it all in the first place. I wonder if that means somehow through voodoo magics it might mean that "Hey, RB4 is your first foray into plastic guitar games? Then here, for $100 get the on disk tracks from RB1, RB2, LRB and all previous DLC is half price."

Thinking just now, I might be lucky in that I still have the old USB instruments and it might be easier to make an XBONE recognize those over a wireless option.

Losing out on the RB3 tracks is a bit of a blow, but I would frankly not be too upset over having to cherry pick and buy just a handful of beloved tracks. We can't get them exported, but Du Hast, Bohemian Rhapsody and 25 or 6 to 4 are all worth a couple bucks each to me. I would hope that they can re-license some of them.

EDIT: Also, will this thread still be used to notify about the customs for RB3 or is that its own thread now?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

I'm praying for cross-platform DLC even though I have two guitars, a mic and two extra cymbals + some silencers on my drum kit for PS3. I was eventually going to get an XBox this generation but Rock Band is one of those games that can lock me into a console on its own and I didn't think it was ever coming back.

I have a lot of DLC but if RB1/RB2/RB3/ACDC aren't portable then I might start over. At least there's a market for the hardware again!

A PS3 last generation and then switch to XBox this generation? That's...definitely a unique approach.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's a pretty big bummer for a the majority of pro support to go away. I understand why the cost / profit ratio probably isn't worthwhile for HMX, at the same time RB3 seemed to be a serious push towards getting people to make the jump to real music. It's disappointing to see it resigned to just being a party game again. It doesn't affect me too much as a drummer, but that's just a lucky accident regarding their charting process.

There's also the dilemma of platform. I really have zero interest in a One, but it's the only option. I'd actually wouldn't mind reinvesting if it was on the PC -and I'm saying that as somebody with $1000+ invested - just to futureproof it against all the hangups with game consoles.

I'm definitely interested but I also feel pretty wary making a $500 - $800 investment all over again unless there's some fantastic new features involved.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I'm probably in. I do wonder though, right now they have said that "all" (and we know that it is going to be the majority, but not all) of the previously purchased songs will become available, at no extra charge to users who bought it all in the first place. I wonder if that means somehow through voodoo magics it might mean that "Hey, RB4 is your first foray into plastic guitar games? Then here, for $100 get the on disk tracks from RB1, RB2, LRB and all previous DLC is half price."

Absolutely impossible, licensing considered. When HMX makes DLC, the recording has to be licensed from the copyright owner, and can only be developed on that specific platform for a specific amount of time. This is why some songs are coming down from the store after 5 years, as 5 years is apparently the length of the contract HMX uses with artists. And the time restriction to intellectual property is also why The Beatles Rock Band was never patched (HMX was no longer legally allowed to develop the game after launch), as well as other oddities like how the Ghostbusters game is unfinished on Xbox 360 because the license to develop on that IP expired before the code could be complete. Funny enough, the PS3 version continued receiving patches and eventually was completed, because Sony owns both the PS3 and the Ghostbusters IP, so they could develop on the IP for free. To bring the content to a new game, HMX has to literally go all the way back and re-license the recording from the copyright holder; even if all the charting and mastering and stuff has already been done, they need to re-license it to release it on something else. That's why on-disc setlist exports have never carried the whole thing over, sometimes the artist changes their mind over the years and declines to license the material a second time around. Actual DLC works slightly differently, as far as what platforms it can be played back on, but the time restriction still exists.

CzarChasm posted:

EDIT: Also, will this thread still be used to notify about the customs for RB3 or is that its own thread now?
Yes. This thread is still about pretty much anything Rock Band.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 5, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I don't already have for this will be the game. I'll probably buy the band-in-a-box though just to get new hardware, as my old stuff isn't in great shape. I'm hoping the pro-drums cymbals either just come with that, or the old ones work on the new kit, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kelp Plankton posted:

Pro Guitar and Keyboard support is gone. They said that they are going back to the "core" instruments, but still supporting Pro Drums.

Meta Ridley posted:

360 had more of the Rock Band Network songs, and then we would get the Best Of hits on the PS3 many weeks later I believe. I also don't think there was ever any custom song hack for the PS3.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah I was curious if there might be a legal loophole there or something, since it's already a download. Seems unlikely but you never know.

Huh? You could never export the RB3 songs. I was also disappointed about this because I wanted to play those tracks in Blitz.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I am so very glad I got a great deal on XBone at Thanksgiving. I was going to get a PS4 but I got the Xbox for $150 cheaper when it was all said and done. (Gift card, incuded games, etc.)

I hope our nice wooden strats still work.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh jeez, going to take some work to figure out some of my old PS DLC share login stuff. Think I went through 3 groups.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

It'd be really nice to get the majority of the first 3 CDs in some kind of discounted pack. All my RB poo poo from 2 and 3 was on the Wii so I'd be starting out at square one on the PS4. Overall I'd really love to get back into doing Rock Band, especially in a new apartment, but if it just takes too much money to get the previous base content then it would really not be worth it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I think I'm going to wait for more information before having a paranoia attack over which platform to go with. I probably will twist the girlfriend's arm and go with a clean slate on the PS4 if giant chunks of content like RB3 aren't coming over anyway.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Welp, just found out that two of the buttons on my plastic gretsch don't work unless you press them REALLY HARD, and overdrive doesn't work too well on my RB1 guitar. Guess I'm in the market for new instruments :v:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Kenderama posted:

I hope our nice wooden strats still work.

Anyone going to PAX East to get the exclusive PAX-themed guitar can sit on it. I have a PAX-endorsed wooden Strat controller for X360 autographed by Gabe and Tycho and every 2014 Enforcer and given out as the grand prize in the PAX after-party raffle.
You literally cannot touch the controller in any way. There are so many enforcers, every single exposed surface has been autographed and even picking it up is a real puzzle.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Glad I ended up playing on PS3 last generation since it was in my living room and the 360 was in the bedroom. Hope the instruments work.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
This is the worst best news I could ever possibly hear.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a pretty big bummer for a the majority of pro support to go away. I understand why the cost / profit ratio probably isn't worthwhile for HMX, at the same time RB3 seemed to be a serious push towards getting people to make the jump to real music. It's disappointing to see it resigned to just being a party game again. It doesn't affect me too much as a drummer, but that's just a lucky accident regarding their charting process.

There's also the dilemma of platform. I really have zero interest in a One, but it's the only option. I'd actually wouldn't mind reinvesting if it was on the PC -and I'm saying that as somebody with $1000+ invested - just to futureproof it against all the hangups with game consoles.

I'm definitely interested but I also feel pretty wary making a $500 - $800 investment all over again unless there's some fantastic new features involved.

Pro guitar was a great idea, but terrible execution due to the need for a rare, expensive pro guitar or a 150 button monstrosity that doesn't function as a real guitar. Rocksmith has already solved the issue and I'd prefer HMX stick to the core of what they do well than get caught up in feature bloat.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
The worst part about losing keys is my dream of playing "Empty Pages" by Traffic is now officially dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Guys, I don't think you will be able to play "Like a Fool" in RB4, considering the pack it was licensed to has expired.
Moment of silence for top-tier DLC.
Same for "Don't Stop Believing." :ohdear:

Douche4Sale posted:

Pro guitar was a great idea, but terrible execution due to the need for a rare, expensive pro guitar or a 150 button monstrosity that doesn't function as a real guitar.
SOMEone isn't in a synth-driven band. The Mustang Pro Guitar is hugely valuable as the cheapest MIDI guitar available, which you can use to control pretty much any synth or keyboard or vocoder. My band had so much fun when I bought one for Rock Band and then we plugged it into our synthesizer and did all kinds of loving around.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 5, 2015