Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

infernal machines posted:

Probably the service availability database provided by your telecom company.

Or they (the incumbent) have older equipment in the CO's and they don't feel like upgrading...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

w00tmonger posted:

Any spill over on the horizon from the states FCC classification ruling?

No, because we always classified ISPs as common carriers, and have in fact had net neutrality regulations since 2009.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Rogers and Bell would like to ban VPNs because AMERICAN NETFLIX

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Good luck with that. Hahaha.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I bet that guy uses a VPN to work from home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:qq:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It's so insulting that he's complaining about not having a viable business while they continue to make record profits year after year.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
Too many businesses use VPNs. There is no way they would be allowed to ban them.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Matt18001 posted:

Too many businesses use VPNs. There is no way they would be allowed to ban them.

You're not thinking evil enough. 3rd party VPNs legislated away, only VPNs run by the service provider allowed. With government backdoors for national security.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ban everything but ROGERS® Reliable™ VPN service. 1gb encrypted transport, introductory rate of $49 for the first 6 months.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When people switched to encrypted torrents to evade packet inspection, Rogers took a hammer to their network and deprioritized all encrypted traffic. Every time I had to remote into work on our VPN it was like pulling teeth.

They really are a bunch of idiots.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chris Knight posted:

When people switched to encrypted torrents to evade packet inspection, Rogers took a hammer to their network and deprioritized all encrypted traffic. Every time I had to remote into work on our VPN it was like pulling teeth.

They really are a bunch of idiots.

I think the highlight of their incompetence is when they broke World Of Warcraft with their traffic shaping, leading to a letter from the CRTC basically saying "what the hell." http://bit.ly/1AunlZf

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

less than three posted:

I think the highlight of their incompetence is when they broke World Of Warcraft with their traffic shaping, leading to a letter from the CRTC basically saying "what the hell." http://bit.ly/1AunlZf

The Rogers network fuckery during this period was amazing. You could start an encrypted torrent or VPN connection and there was a 50% chance that action was going to poo poo all over any attempt to use the internet at all. Speeds throttled to 80kb/s, DNS timeouts, and the inability to hit anything over SSL were just some of the many things that would kick in once you angered the Rogers network management robots.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
I remember measuring my World of Warcraft bandwidth usage about 5 years ago. I was topping out at around 50Mb per hour with a third party VOIP client running. There is no way they could claim that was accidentally filtered the data profile isn't remotely similar to a torrent.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Shaw quietly launched Internet 120

120mbps down
6mbps up
750gb cap
120 dollars a month.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

:cripes:

Is it too much to ask to have a symmetrical connection? I don't need more than 10-20Mbps down, but this 1.5Mbps up that comes with it is making me dread any asset change when working remotely.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Jan posted:

:cripes:

Is it too much to ask to have a symmetrical connection? I don't need more than 10-20Mbps down, but this 1.5Mbps up that comes with it is making me dread any asset change when working remotely.

Docsis is designed for higher customer download speeds than uploads, unfortunately. Generally the higher speed tiers have a greater upload just to accommodate all the ACKs you'll be sending out when downloading at 150+Mbps. Some DSL providers do 25/10 (or more), but you're much more at the mercy of bad phone lines and your distance from their equipment to actually get the advertised speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get lovely speeds and bandwidth caps on fibre connections from the incumbents, though. Hopefully the CRTC will open them up to TPIAs.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I cancelled VMedia a while ago. Was supposed to cut off on the 1st. It still works, my credit card hasn't been charged, and my account says I have no services with them. :toot:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rukus posted:

Docsis is designed for higher customer download speeds than uploads, unfortunately.

DOCSIS may specify lower maximum upload channels, but it's entirely the ISP's prerogative to bind more of them, which they obviously aren't doing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DariusLikewise posted:

Shaw quietly launched Internet 120

120mbps down
6mbps up
750gb cap
120 dollars a month.

At least a 750gb cap is reasonable, even with fairly heavy downloading.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

At least a 750gb cap is reasonable, even with fairly heavy downloading.

Just seems riduclous considering their grandfathered Broadband 100 plan was only 99 dollars after price hike and Broadband 250 where available is still 120 a month for 250/10(or 5 depending on area if I remember) and 1TB.

Rukus posted:

Docsis is designed for higher customer download speeds than uploads, unfortunately. Generally the higher speed tiers have a greater upload just to accommodate all the ACKs you'll be sending out when downloading at 150+Mbps. Some DSL providers do 25/10 (or more), but you're much more at the mercy of bad phone lines and your distance from their equipment to actually get the advertised speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get lovely speeds and bandwidth caps on fibre connections from the incumbents, though. Hopefully the CRTC will open them up to TPIAs.

MTS is installing fibre in small communities where it doesn't make any sense to upgrade the existing copper. I believe the pricing is

50/5 - $83
100/15 - $140
250/30 - $280

I'm under the assumption that once fibre is in that the jump from 50 down to 250 down isn't really taxing on the network so the prices don't really make much sense to me.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Introducing "new" :airquote: internet plans is the cartel's equivalent of saying, "What are you talking about? We have always been at war with Eurasia."

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I dunno, the new Rogers plan is 250/20 with unlimited usage and $95 a month after the first three months. Maybe It sucks by international standards but that seems pretty good from where I'm sitting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Evis posted:

I dunno, the new Rogers plan is 250/20 with unlimited usage and $95 a month after the first three months. Maybe It sucks by international standards but that seems pretty good from where I'm sitting.

FFS. That's less than I'm paying for 150/15 with Teksavvy and it has a better cap.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

FFS. That's less than I'm paying for 150/15 with Teksavvy and it has a better cap.

This is exactly what the incumbents are hoping for with their CBB pricing, price TPIA's right out of business :ssh:

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 4, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

37th Chamber posted:

This is exactly what the incumbents are hoping for with their CBB pricing, price TPIA's right out of business :ssh:

I'm sure it'll work too. Maybe if Teksavvy's service and customer experience hadn't gone to poo poo over the last five years I'd consider sticking with them, as it is there's no meaningful differentiators between them and the incumbents. They just cost more.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah, the CRTC is really dragging their feet on this. The wholesale rates are clearly absurd if Rogers can easily outprice TPIA's like this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm sure it'll work too. Maybe if Teksavvy's service and customer experience hadn't gone to poo poo over the last five years I'd consider sticking with them, as it is there's no meaningful differentiators between them and the incumbents. They just cost more.

I have only had to interact with Teksavvys customer service a couple of times, but both times they were phenomenal.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I only ever talk to Teksavvy support through DSLreports' direct forum and I generally get quick and prompt service.

Also, for Christmas we bought my in laws a TV and a Roku and switched them over to an unlimited account because of Netflix. The support agent emailed them back asking if they were sure they wanted to upgrade because they only used a few gigs per month. It was nice to actually have honest advice from a corporation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

I have only had to interact with Teksavvys customer service a couple of times, but both times they were phenomenal.

I have contacted them semi-regularly over the last eight or so years as I've used them for both personal internet access and for a number of my client's businesses. Wait times have increased while the quality and level of service has decreased.

They now insist that you jump through all the same pointless hoops as the incumbents before actually beginning to troubleshoot your issue, issues often require multiple calls to resolve, and you get the added bonus of them not being able to actually dispatch techs themselves.

The number of times I've waited on an issue to be "escalated" so that someone would actually resolve it is just ridiculous. And not being able to get proper after hours support for issues on business services because the business support people have all gone for the day is a beautiful touch too.

As long as I don't have to deal with them they're fine, except now they're also more expensive then the incumbents for slower service.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I'll agree the phone agents are dumb as bricks, but the TSI staff that hang out on DSLReports are pretty stellar. But to address this:

They now insist that you jump through all the same pointless hoops as the incumbents before actually beginning to troubleshoot your issue

That's because that laundry list is REQUIRED by the incumbents before they will even accept a ticket from a TPIA. Don't have all your i's dotted and t's crossed? Get hosed, ticket rejected. It's not unique to Teksavvy at all sadly.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 5, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

37th Chamber posted:

I'll agree the phone agents are dumb as bricks, but the TSI staff that hang out on DSLReports are pretty stellar. But to address this:

That's because that laundry list is REQUIRED by the incumbents before they will even accept a ticket from a TPIA. Don't have all your i's dotted and t's crossed? Get hosed, ticket rejected. It's not unique to Teksavvy at all sadly.

This. I used to work phone tech support for a large cable company and if you tried to escalate something without doing the basic 9-10 troubleshooting steps you would get rejected everytime.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

37th Chamber posted:

Yes, this is a problem, but it doesn't need to be my problem. It's like every other thing they blame on the incumbents from missed service visits, to botched installs, to major network fixes that take literal weeks to resolve, if they have so little control over their own business then why am I using them?

They used to offer a service that basically worked, and was cheaper and better than you could get elsewhere. That isn't the case anymore.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yes, this is a problem, but it doesn't need to be my problem. It's like every other thing they blame on the incumbents from missed service visits, to botched installs, to major network fixes that take literal weeks to resolve, if they have so little control over their own business then why am I using them?

They used to offer a service that basically worked, and was cheaper and better than you could get elsewhere. That isn't the case anymore.

Praise be Oligopoly
Oligopoly our Lord

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Because at least then you're giving some money to a company that is struggling against that bullshit instead of giving all of your money to the ones responsible for it?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't have any tech support issues like that with Start.ca. I used to work NOC at UUNet way back and most of the people I've chatted with at Start are very competent and well trained. I've had one CSR where I was pointing out a routing problem and he corrected me which was some humble pie. They also automate much of the ticket related bullshit for you, actually do follow up calls and go out of their way to ensure you get referral credits. Great company.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

slidebite posted:

Yep, same here. My connection kept dropping, but only for a few seconds at a time. After a couple days I got sick of it, sent a tweet to their Twitter support thingy, 5 minutes later a guy calls, troubleshoots the problem, fixes it, everything good as new. The entire episode lasted less than 20 minutes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It really doesn't matter what kind of verbal poo poo you're trying to heap onto Teksavvy for your entitlement, we'd all still rather talk to their customer service than the alternatives.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It still beats directly giving money to Robelus.

e: Basically, citing a TPIA's diminishing customer service and/or increasing costs as sufficient grounds to switch back to the incumbents is handing the latter a victory. They are doing everything in their power to hobble TPIAs, anyone following this thread should know better than to cave in to their methods.

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Its only as good and reliable as the incumbents allow it to be.