Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had a PS3 and 360 last gen, but had the game for 360 so I'll probably just hope for the old DLC to be cheaper than normal since I have a PS4. I pretty much destroyed my old plastic drums, though I still have the cymbals. I really don't care to play plastic guitar, so I'm hoping I can get the game + drums/mic for cheaper than the whole set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
How much should I expect a "band-in-the-box" instrument set to cost? Is that just typically 1 guitar + 1 drum set + 1 mic?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If the previous systems were anything to go by, $200ish.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Caustic posted:

How much should I expect a "band-in-the-box" instrument set to cost? Is that just typically 1 guitar + 1 drum set + 1 mic?

I think for the previous gen it was like $180 for game + guitar + drums + mic.

Unless you were in Europe, where the price was approximately $gently caress you.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Douche4Sale posted:

Pro guitar was a great idea, but terrible execution due to the need for a rare, expensive pro guitar or a 150 button monstrosity that doesn't function as a real guitar. Rocksmith has already solved the issue and I'd prefer HMX stick to the core of what they do well than get caught up in feature bloat.

Having that kind of functionality in social game is a fundamentally different thing. I understand that they can't support it in the foreseeable future, but at the same time HMX hopefully will be finding ways to push the game forward.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

A PS3 last generation and then switch to XBox this generation? That's...definitely a unique approach.
Sony's multiple security breaches notwithstanding, there are no compelling platform exclusives for Sony this generation and Team Ico can't seem to produce a game. Rock Band is basically the only game that makes zero sense to play on a PC if it ever came out and I already have lots of other Microsoft services that would integrate better with the XBox.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
As someone who mainly played bass keytar in RB3, this kind of upsets me that I won't be able to carry on with it in 4.

Still on the fence with whether to keep my 360 gear in case I go back to that system sometime or part with the guitar/drums (both wired from RB1 days).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wow, just caught up with all the news. A mixed blessing to be sure. I am sad about the following things:
  • Lack of keys in legacy content. Really dampens my enthusiasm for the otherwise fantastic announcement of forward-compatible DLC.
  • The eventual reality of superior C3 customs being pulled in favor of DLC with no keys or pro-guitar. Totally understand why it needs to be this way though.
  • Leaving behind the wonderful work of the RB Harmonies Project. It'll suck going back to vanilla versions of the pre-RB3 songs once they are made available.
  • Of course, the familiar conflict of having to go for the Xbox One
Guess I'd better haul rear end and get my customs library up-to-date! Haven't really updated since I got married/moved in September.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Caustic posted:

That depends on whether or not you live in Australia.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Will charted harmonies be sticking around or are those going away like keys and pro guitar?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

WingsOfSteel posted:

Will charted harmonies be sticking around or are those going away like keys and pro guitar?

I don't want to be that guy, but if there aren't harmonies, I am likely out.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

ALFbrot posted:

I don't want to be that guy, but if there aren't harmonies, I am likely out.

The new DLC they've put out this year has harmonies but not keys, so I would guess that they will keep doing harmonies.

I wonder if they'll do the same thing as Singstar and let people use phones as mics instead of having to plug in a bunch of microphones.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still think there's going be optional phone control for all instruments even if it's obviously not as fun as a plastic thing.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I bet they won't bring along the light kit :/

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm in once some enterprising person figures out how to get all my customs ported over.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'd love to do this but I can't. I don't have room for a drumset nowadays and that's what I'd want to play, though I pretty much peaked at RB2. I was real interested in seeing if there would be an improved pro keys but since those are gone so is my interest, sadly. At least in owning it myself. Hope this is good though as I liked these games and maybe a friend of mine will get one and I can play it at their house.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So the 360 version was pretty much universally better last generation, right? Due to RBN and other reasons? Is there any reason to believe the same thing could happen this gen, in terms of one version being better than another? Removing last-gen transfers from the equation.

e: Also I don't suppose any PAX goons are willing to pick me up that guitar, are they? :shobon:

e2: I also wanna answer this from the last thread:

quote:

I have no idea how they're going to make PS3->PS4 song export work since PS3 games don't run on PS4. Either way, looks like I need to track down a RB1 disc since I have an export key already. A few bucks for a replacement disc is worth it for 42 songs.

It's extraordinarily likely that what they're going to do is make PS4 versions, and have them be cross-buy with the PS3 versions, so owning the PS3 versions automatically makes the PS4 versions free in the store - you just have to navigate to the page and re-download. Same process probably goes for 360/Bone - I don't own a Bone, but from what I understand, that's the way it works for Dance Central Spotlight's DLC compatibility.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

It's back! :woop:

I didn't invest nearly as much money into DLC as you guys, so the transition from 360 to PS4 should be relatively painless for me. I sold all my instruments though, so I'm looking forward to paying £gently caress You for those when they come out in the next two years.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My fingers are crossed that this gets more people to part with RB3 instruments to lower the prices a bit over the next few months.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, when Rockband 1 came out I still lived with my mom. When Rock band 2 came out I wasn't married yet. When Rockband 3 came out I didn't have a daughter. Time flies :gbsmith:

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
So any guesses on setlist songs? Any huge songs that have come out since RB Blitz/End of DLC?

Maybe since Zep and Floyd are cool with Spotify now...we can get them for real.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Harry Privates posted:

So any guesses on setlist songs? Any huge songs that have come out since RB Blitz/End of DLC?

Maybe since Zep and Floyd are cool with Spotify now...we can get them for real.

They still won't let anyone near their masters

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'd much rather buy a PS4 but considering how much Rock Band stuff I have on 360 it would be cheaper for me to buy an Xbone just for Rock Band, even if I turned around and bought a PS4 for other games.

Rock Band was the reason I bought a 360 to begin with, so it seems appropriate.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Well it looks like I have to start my 700 plus library over on the PS4

:smith:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Well it looks like I have to start my 700 plus library over on the PS4

:smith:

if you have instruments for 360 already it would be far far far cheaper to just get an xbone for $300 rather than rebuy all that DLC and getting new instruments FYI

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Here's hoping for the continued trouncing of the Xbone so by Black Friday you can get the console, the game, and a store gift card for like $200

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

ElwoodCuse posted:

They still won't let anyone near their masters

We got cozy with 'em.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It's surreal having pros and cons for an actual new game to talk about now.

+ can be played on current consoles
+ new songs

- no keys
- no pro guitar
- probably a few more old songs lost via the Enter Sandman/Battery treatment

The cons are pretty huge for me, so I'm really curious as to what improvements to the Rock Band ExperienceTM we can expect here. I've heard SmartGlass is pretty robust on the Xbox One, so I'm assuming there will be some heavy tablet/smartphone integration.

I'm guessing tons of social/sharing features, since that's all the rage with the current consoles. Harmonix has always been rather forward-thinking in that regard, with Facebook battles and such. Having this stuff more directly supported with native console features will be nice - although I'm assuming the legal situation with video streaming could be a nightmare in this case?

So far it sounds like we're just paying for the privilege to play Rock Band on current gen consoles, and getting less of a game for it. I'm really looking for an excuse to be blown away though, so hopefully some sick features are announced soon!

I wish it was like a RB1 -> RB2 situation with the DLC, where everything released worked on both games, with only a couple minor features missing if you played it on the older game. It's safe to assume that the platform jump makes that impossible in this case. If I could just buy RB4 DLC and play it in RB3, I'd be all set...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, there is a lot being said about potentially expanding the formula quite a bit:

quote:

"One of the most magical elements of being in a band is knowing that your drummer is listening to you and caring about what you're doing," he explained. "It's not just about playing your part with blinders on. It's really about a social vibe in the room where people are aware of and interested in what other people are doing. I think it's a thing that's kind of implied by Rock Band play, but not explicitly supported by the game.

"When I watch people play Rock Band what I see is four people sort of playing a single-player game in the same room. The relationship between the drummer and the bassist is not as connected as I think it can be. So that's an area where I think there's a lot of room for improvement from a game design standpoint."

Another place where Sussman found previous Rock Band games missed a beat was in player agency over the song. In prior games the player was merely following orders dictated by the on-screen prompts. While it's not clear the exact form this will take, Sussman hinted that there will be ways that players can put their own unique spin on a song.

"The other area that I think is really ripe for innovation is in the realm of player expression and the idea that music really is a performative art form and that the output is a reflection of the input," he explained. "If you're trying to play them the same way every single time there's always subtle differences. That's a thing that as a musician I get a big kick out of - sort of doing some little thing to make this song my own. I think that's an area where Rock Band can be improved: looking at ways to give players a little bit more sense of ownership over the content.

"What I found is that if you can figure out a way to give players a sense of ownership of the content, that improves the experience," he added. "It's a really powerful thing."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-05-rock-band-4-announced-for-this-year-on-ps4-and-xbox-one

I'm looking forward to finding out what exactly that means for RB4. If there's a big difference in the gameplay experience between old and new style songs, I might as well start over on PS4 and keep the 360 around for classics. It certainly sounds like something I've always wanted out of Rock Band.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: ^^ Wow, what a timely post

I just don't think RB4 is worth making unless they have some really incredible features to announce. RB1 was RB1, RB2 gave us vastly improved graphics and songs, and we got Pro mode, Keys, and harmonies in RB3. I'm drawing a blank on what some of those features could be, but hey I guess that's why I don't work for Harmonix. Any ideas what tricks they could have up their sleeves?

Personally as a real-life percussionist who wishes he could play real-life drum set half as well as he can play RB drumset, my #1 biggest wish would be the addition of individual note velocities somehow.

MORE EDIT: to chime in on the post above me

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out what exactly that means for RB4. If there's a big difference in the gameplay experience between old and new style songs, I might as well start over on PS4 and keep the 360 around for classics. It certainly sounds like something I've always wanted out of Rock Band.

I'm probably in the minority here but these days I think I actually prefer to play Rock Band alone. It's a great stress reliever and I love the challenge of just putting on some nice headphones and zoning out (or in depending on your perspective), trying to perfect the song in front of me, and frankly anyone else trying to play along is just going to distract me and pick songs I don't want to play.

I'm afraid I may just need to hang on to RB3, drum kit, and 360 for eternity :smith:

timp fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 5, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm excited to stream karaoke night sessions so I'm glad it's on the new consoles.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pros of this game:

+ new consoles
+ new songs
+ a usage for the $129 xbone I bought
+ no personal attachment to previous RB songs because they're just songs and this is just a game
+ aggravating the autists/poors in this thread
+ months until it releases which only prolongs the aggravation

Cons:
???

I'm pretty excited about a modest cost to enjoy a new RB with friends. Enjoying how upset the whole thing is going to make others is icing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sellouts posted:

+ no personal attachment to previous RB songs because they're just songs and this is just a game
Well this is a case where the songs are the game, more or less. It's way different than people saying "I'm stoked for a Crazy Taxi remake but only if that Offspring song is in it!"

sellouts posted:

d'oh! :doh:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

sellouts posted:

what about the rich autists who are going to spend $1500 on songs they already own instead of $300 on a console ?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Where's my live Pearl Jam songs I was promised :colbert:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
They should use Smartglass to allow a person on a tablet to handle the mixing and lighting, either as-they-wish (for this personalisation element they have mentioned) or for the less creative but more game-like, they could have their own little charts to play for lighting and camera cues (with the chart just on their device)

I am a little concerned about the personalisation idea they have floated. The whammy bar and slide pad on the guitar and keyboard I found annoying and only detracted from the song. When it comes to personalisation, they tried it one way with Fantasia and I didn't think that worked too well - the different mixes on their own were ok (though I thought most of them were poor) but combining them never really worked (in a musical sense).
Then again, I am perfectly happy with RB3 and the "we are playing alone, together" nature of it and I like to hear the songs as-is so I am wary of anything that might change that. I did like the little challenges that made you work as a team in the main game though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I understand why not dealing with the Pro Guitar stuff, but why get rid of keys? Is it just a matter of the percentage of the total library that had keys parts?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

sba posted:

what about the rich autists who are going to spend $1500 on songs they already own instead of $300 on a console ?

You can't put a price on your friends being able to see your trophies :downs:

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Rastor posted:

I understand why not dealing with the Pro Guitar stuff, but why get rid of keys? Is it just a matter of the percentage of the total library that had keys parts?

I'm guessing that it's a combination of the time required to do full key/pro key charting on songs plus the smaller amount of people with the keyboard instrument compared to the other ones.

They're talking about sticking with RB4 for 5 or more years and adding to it with updates and expansions, so I would hope that they do something like leave the key stems split out in all the songs to make it easier for going back and adding charts if they decide to do a keys expansion in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rastor posted:

Keys are for Dorks.