Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
have a good hike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Yeah I started training for this with an ALICE pack.

Very happy I got this Osprey Volt instead. It's certainly not ultralight but it's got everything I need.

I wound up getting the Eureka! Spitfire solo tent, and for sleep I have a big Agnes insulated qcore SL sleeping pad, an ultralight 30 degree bag I've stuffed inside a heat reflective breathable SOL escape Bivvy, and I lined the bag with an extra thick polyester bag liner that claims +10 degree warmth or w/e. Once it's hot enough I can send the sleeping bag home. Until then the combo of thermals+liner+bag+bivvy+insulated inflatable sleeping pad should be plenty for the coldest temps we see on the trail, and then some.

Got a sweet titanium stove / cookware setup- and also packing a few batterypacks now that I think of it. One in my headlamp that's USB rechargeable and fits where the triple AAA's can also go, I Added a 4000MaH battery case to my iPhone 5 that can buddy charge AND thru charge for my iPhone, then I got two Anker battery packs, 20586MaH 4 ports and a 10586MaH with 2 ports. Our camp shower has a built in USB rechargeable 1200MaH battery, but can't buddy charge. My phone, kindle, headlamp, shower, and lantern are all USB re-chargeable, and if my math is right a full charge on all devices and packs while conserving usage should last the 100 mile wilderness with juice to spare in reserve in case of emergency. Headlamp has backup AAA batteries as does camp lantern.

Got 3 good water treatment systems. 1 mechanical, 2 chemical. Plenty of fire starting methods as well. Need to get a first aid kit and DEET and poo poo and food. I went with Platypus instead of camelbak for my water reservoir. I'm hoping 2L in that + the 32 oz Gatorade bottle I'll always be carrying is sufficient water storage since I can treat my own water and sources are plentiful it seems.

We'll see I guess. Thinking of ordering an extra platy bottle Just In Case since they're so dumb light anyway. Same logic on Sawyer dirty water squeeze bags.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Smart wool socks are worth the price

gently caress yes they are. Warm, comfy, or a combo of the two...they've got it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Yeah I started training for this with an ALICE pack.

Got 3 good water treatment systems. 1 mechanical, 2 chemical. Plenty of fire starting methods as well. Need to get a first aid kit and DEET and poo poo and food. I went with Platypus instead of camelbak for my water reservoir. I'm hoping 2L in that + the 32 oz Gatorade bottle I'll always be carrying is sufficient water storage since I can treat my own water and sources are plentiful it seems.

We'll see I guess. Thinking of ordering an extra platy bottle Just In Case since they're so dumb light anyway. Same logic on Sawyer dirty water squeeze bags.

Woot almost always seems to have really good hiking poo poo on the cheap lately. I got one of those survival straw water filters for like $40 and a really good 5L (I think) hydration bladder with a 10L bag for like $19

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

So this hiking trip is really going to happen?

It's like seeing two of your buds with stage no hope and circling the drain.

:rip:

:smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
how much weed are you taking

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Here's a cool AT album on imgur (82 pics with captions). Vet and his gf- she'd never been hiking before.

The only piece of gear he managed to hang onto the entire time was his sleeping system. They went through multiple tents and stuff. Looks pretty rough.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I believe it. I have a Kifaru woobie and it's legit as gently caress. The doobie is the same thing but with double the insulation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

Woot almost always seems to have really good hiking poo poo on the cheap lately. I got one of those survival straw water filters for like $40 and a really good 5L (I think) hydration bladder with a 10L bag for like $19

those life straw filters are $20 on amazon. I got a water bottle with one in it for $30. good for 1000L (264 gallons) through a 0.2 micron filter. it should last the entire trip.

Genocide Tendency posted:

So this hiking trip is really going to happen?

I'm sure there will be an occasional update or three, but I plan to try to cut off entirely from internet poo poo out there. my S4mini and kindle are the only electronics I plan to carry. phone is loaded with music, kindle is loaded with everything by mark twain and some earth sciences textbooks. so expect radio silence on my end except the occasional Frank picture and rambling tangent. maybe a beard update, since I only plan to trim enough back to eat without munching on the flavor saver.

go3 posted:

how much weed are you taking

all the weed

actually going to use this time on the trail to try to dry out a bit. ideally I'd like to make an eighth stretch at least a few weeks out there, but we'll see. besides, it's not like weed is impossible to find.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
If my buddy's trip last year is any indication people you meet will offer to share all the time. You could probably make it the whole trail without spending a dime on drugs or alcohol.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Thank you wife, for managing to put windshield wiper fluid in the radiator and then destroy the clutch of the car we were about to sell. All in one day.

Anyone want to help me replace a Volkswagen clutch? I just need someone to support with additional poo poo talking, I don't think I've got enough profanity to cover it all by myself :suicide:

I've lived through some terrible poo poo, but this car is what's making me consider suck starting my sidearm (not really)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Keep the car, sell your wife.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Painsaw posted:

I've lived through some terrible poo poo, but this car is what's making me consider suck starting my sidearm (not really)

It's not the car

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This is why you don't get married you fuckin tards.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I have one of those titanium cookware sets and it kinda sucks, but I guess it does the job. it is really light at least.

spongebob what are you guys doing for food? I typically use the mountain house freeze dried stuff for breakfast/dinner and trail mix/jerky for lunch / snacks. since you probably don't want to carry a thru-hike's worth of food on your back, you can probably stage supplies at towns the AT goes through by mailing poo poo to yourself general delivery. if you want to do that, you might want to call the post office that would handle that, but it's worked for me on parts of the pct before.

also those survival straws are bullshit msr sweetwater is what you want

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Painsaw posted:

Thank you wife, for managing to put windshield wiper fluid in the radiator and then destroy the clutch of the car we were about to sell. All in one day.

Anyone want to help me replace a Volkswagen clutch? I just need someone to support with additional poo poo talking, I don't think I've got enough profanity to cover it all by myself :suicide:

:stare:

How?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Painsaw posted:

i'm sorry

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Why is GiP last in the forums list? WE SERVED ARE CONTRY WE SHOULD BE FIRST BA GAWD

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm going to take the usual suspects of protein bars, nuts, jerky, rice, and just whatever seems right when we're in town and milling through the grocery stores. Probably get some produce every town stop to eat the first couple days back on trail.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Why is GiP last in the forums list? WE SERVED ARE CONTRY WE SHOULD BE FIRST BA GAWD
Because it's the newest. :confused:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I'm going to take the usual suspects of protein bars, nuts, jerky, rice, and just whatever seems right when we're in town and milling through the grocery stores. Probably get some produce every town stop to eat the first couple days back on trail.

that's a good idea, freeze dried poo poo and protein bars suck poo poo after a while. grab a couple of beers to drag with you too, cool 'em off in a creek or something before you drink them if it's warm outside, but man cracking a beer on a mountain top owns

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was planning on beers already. Obviously not a lot or very far past town. Also some stuff that can pack a day in a small cooler bag, like eggs, cheese, and a small amount of butter. Frank gets an 8 pound bag of food, should last 5-7 days, plus scraps. Gotta have a bit of fat to push that dry poo poo food out.

Those Knorr rice sides are going to be a staple. A buck apiece, 800~ calories a bag, two cups of water and you're good. The rotation is going to get stale, but I'm not paying through the nose for special trail food.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol

Measure once cut twice, and 2 fast 2 furious. All I know is I gave a shop $120 just to flush the coolant because I didn't want to deal with it, then three hours later it was back at the same shop with an exploded clutch. They wanted $1200, haha, no.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah coolant flushes are a pain in the rear end. If you're near Seattle I'd offer to help, I accept payment in beer.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Painsaw posted:

this is what you get for owning a vw

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Painsaw posted:

Measure once cut twice, and 2 fast 2 furious. All I know is I gave a shop $120 just to flush the coolant because I didn't want to deal with it, then three hours later it was back at the same shop with an exploded clutch. They wanted $1200, haha, no.

That might not be ridiculous, I don't know how the setup is. I'd have to pull the engine to do the clutch on my car.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
$1200 is pretty reasonable for a clutch, but it's a Volkswagen so they'll find something else broken that's twice as expensive.

Just push it off a cliff. Even if insurance didn't pay out you're already ahead.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

That might not be ridiculous, I don't know how the setup is. I'd have to pull the engine to do the clutch on my car.

Considering how shoe-horned poo poo is in the engine bay of a modern VW it's well within the realm of possibilities. I helped a guy change a headlight bulb on a Phaeton and it required taking out the entire headlight assembly. And he got shocked by the capacitor for the xenon, but that was actually cool and funny.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

$1200 is pretty reasonable for a clutch, but it's a Volkswagen so they'll find something else broken that's twice as expensive.

Just push it off a cliff. Even if insurance didn't pay out you're already ahead.

yep. clutch would probably take ~5 hours going by their service guide, thats about 600 bucks in shop time right there, then theyre gonna gouge on the parts

agreed with spoogebob; its a vw, a burning heap at the bottom of a cliff is where it belongs

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

$1200 for a VW is pretty goddamn reasonable.

My Scion xB clutch was about that much, and its not like it's anything more than a mouse in an exercise wheel for that engine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Doesn't everyone know by now not to buy a VW. I mean in the late 90s I may have gave you a pass but lol

My clutch cost me $600 total :shrug:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Women. And the uninformed.

Anyone without enough sense to do the slightest bit of research deserves what they get.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
theres a couple vw apologists around here and they should be in shortly to try defending their poor choices

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

theres a couple subaru apologists around here and they should be in shortly to try defending their poor choices

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wow dude don't make fun of my Baja it's so resourceful

or I'm a lesbo and have an outback

real talk most subarus are cool too bad they just keep getting uglier as time goes on. Don't see the point if you don't live near foul weather though

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a Baja. Turbo 5 speed. Goddamn best car I ever owned and I hate myself a little more each day for ever getting rid of it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's shameful how many Jeep drivers I see here in NY who are scared of driving in snow.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
one time i had sleet and heavy winds while driving my jeep. my gf was flipping out saying i should pull over and wait. lmbo

thats about the only thing i miss about the jeep, not giving a flying gently caress what the conditions are

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Drove my jeep to and from AK, from NC. It's still going strong 5 years later, so I think I made a good choice back then

The only good choice I made in the military, other than bailing the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Road tripped 5000 miles from Oklahoma City to Anchorage in my 98 Cherokee Sport. Outside of an over heating issue in Las Vegas, it ran like a champ.

• Locked thread