Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
While we're talking Terminal, I move back and forth between machines a lot. 90% of the time, I'm on a Mac, but sometimes I use other platforms. So I keep my 1PW vault on Dropbox. And since Dropbox is one of the very first things I install on a new computer, I was wondering if I should hardlink my dot files to somewhere in my Dropbox and then have a simple script to hardlink them back whenever I am on a new computer. It would be slightly quicker, maybe, than fishing them out of Crashplan or Github. Plus, if I have multiple computers, they should theoretically sync? Is this a dumb idea? It feels vaguely dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does the photo library handle stuff that is located on removable drives?

Here's the basic situation: I have a poo poo ton of personal photos that just stay on my computer. No biggie, I really don't give a poo poo about how those are organized behind the scenes as long s I can find what I want when I want.

On the other hand I also have something like 200gb of photos of old documents. Most of them have long since been stitched into .pdfs and I've got my own, separate way of organizing those, but I keep the originals around on a few external HDs* just because a lot of time and money went into generating them all plus once in a blue moon I'll need the original high-res photo of one particular page for this reason or that.

Up until now I've simply kept them sequestered from my other photos and just search the drives by the file name on the rare occasions I need to refer back to them. But, if the new app plays nice with removable media I also wouldn't mind indexing them and just keeping them as a separate album or whatever the reasonable in-app division would be.

*before someone gives me a lecture about media backup it's two identical drives, one of which is stored with some other crap I can't fit into my current living situation. It's a temporary solution to a temporary situation

I personally wouldn't want a bunch of scans of old documents sprinkled in with photos of my loved ones. I imagine that's what would happen if you were to view photos in the timeline/moments view.

There's probably a better, separate app for managing and storing document scans on Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does the photo library handle stuff that is located on removable drives?

Here's the basic situation: I have a poo poo ton of personal photos that just stay on my computer. No biggie, I really don't give a poo poo about how those are organized behind the scenes as long s I can find what I want when I want.

On the other hand I also have something like 200gb of photos of old documents. Most of them have long since been stitched into .pdfs and I've got my own, separate way of organizing those, but I keep the originals around on a few external HDs* just because a lot of time and money went into generating them all plus once in a blue moon I'll need the original high-res photo of one particular page for this reason or that.

Up until now I've simply kept them sequestered from my other photos and just search the drives by the file name on the rare occasions I need to refer back to them. But, if the new app plays nice with removable media I also wouldn't mind indexing them and just keeping them as a separate album or whatever the reasonable in-app division would be.

*before someone gives me a lecture about media backup it's two identical drives, one of which is stored with some other crap I can't fit into my current living situation. It's a temporary solution to a temporary situation

I was reading over on how to setup your photo library for the upcoming app / iCloud Photo Library and my guess is the best way to go about it is to create a separate library for the removable media.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

While we're talking Terminal, I move back and forth between machines a lot. 90% of the time, I'm on a Mac, but sometimes I use other platforms. So I keep my 1PW vault on Dropbox. And since Dropbox is one of the very first things I install on a new computer, I was wondering if I should hardlink my dot files to somewhere in my Dropbox and then have a simple script to hardlink them back whenever I am on a new computer. It would be slightly quicker, maybe, than fishing them out of Crashplan or Github. Plus, if I have multiple computers, they should theoretically sync? Is this a dumb idea? It feels vaguely dumb.

You could write a bash script that, when run from your Dropbox directory, creates all of the various links in your home directory. Just put the commands you normally run, except use the pwd in place of your Dropbox directory. If the OS X commands differ slightly from the GNU ones, you can do environment detection in a bash script and there's probably like a million StackOverflow threads that will help you with that. Of course the problem gets harder if you might be logging into systems with weird shells installed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

You might want to run this by AgileBits themselves on their support forum. They're pretty good a responding (or a knowledgable end user).

EDIT: Misread what was being asked.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 6, 2015

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Uh how does 1password relate to his problem at all besides him mentioning it in passing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Kobayashi posted:

I'm not sure how much faster using Dropbox would be. I keep all my dotfiles on github using dotbot. It automatically symlinks everything for you.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Slowhanded posted:

I'm not sure how much faster using Dropbox would be. I keep all my dotfiles on github using dotbot. It automatically symlinks everything for you.

Dotbot makes keeping dot files (and all related stuff like vim plugins) up-to-date into a cinch. If you're already using github (or a similar external upstream), it's a no-brainer. If you're not using github but are in a terminal enough to worry about dotfile consistency, start using github.

Also, I'm assuming everyone using Terminal with any frequency uses iTerm2 already. If not, start.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 4TB external that is sporadically used. Often when I do things like open file save dialogues, Finder freezes for a few annoying seconds while it tries to wake up the external. I get to hear it spinning up for some time until I can save my file. Is there any way I can keep the drive connected and yet avoid this delay?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Cingulate posted:

I have a 4TB external that is sporadically used. Often when I do things like open file save dialogues, Finder freezes for a few annoying seconds while it tries to wake up the external. I get to hear it spinning up for some time until I can save my file. Is there any way I can keep the drive connected and yet avoid this delay?

Energy Saver pane in system preferences has a toggle for 'put the hard disk to sleep when possible'. Uncheck it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That seems really inefficient :( But thanks.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
If the scenario you describe is just to save a file to your main drive but you're experiencing the delay, you can unmount the spare volume until you need it as another option.

You can keep it connected but drag it to the trash to unmount. Remount with either disk utility or write a script that you can double click to remount it as needed.

Found an AppleScript that will toggle the mount status of a specified volume: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120211184732735

E: and here's an app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mountain/id528726140?mt=12

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 5, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

That seems really inefficient :( But thanks.

Well then you can wait for it to spin up. I don't understand how it's inefficient. You're the one who wants it to already be spun up.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

Well then you can wait for it to spin up. I don't understand how it's inefficient. You're the one who wants it to already be spun up.
I mean, it's energy inefficient. I wish the save dialogue would not bother checking the status of an external until I actually investigate the contents of the external somehow.

Shin-chan posted:

If the scenario you describe is just to save a file to your main drive but you're experiencing the delay, you can unmount the spare volume until you need it as another option.

You can keep it connected but drag it to the trash to unmount. Remount with either disk utility or write a script that you can double click to remount it as needed.

Found an AppleScript that will toggle the mount status of a specified volume: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120211184732735

E: and here's an app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mountain/id528726140?mt=12
Well then I have to manually re-mount it every time I actually DO want to access it, which also happens a few times a week.

Ideally, it would spin down after a period of inactivity and only spin up when I explicitly access the volume. Right now, it spins up when I implicitly access it, for example when I open a modal Finder window.

But it's no big thing, I'm just going with Pivo's proposal of turning off the Energy Saver.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
What are people using to download youtube videos these days?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
The new MS Office is available as a beta:

http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pivo posted:

No, he wants it not to spin up at all when he isn't explicitly accessing it. This is a massive and long-standing annoyance in the open/save dialogs. You don't have to be saving to or navigating within a drive for it to have to spin up. I have 5 platter drives in my Mac Pro and it is a 10-15 second delay waiting for them all to spin up, even though 95% of the time I'm saving to the boot SSD or my projects SSD.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Works fine except Outlook does this:

Crashed Thread: 5 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Booo :[

Any ideas of how to fix this?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

All I want is for excel on Mac to work just like it does in windows and I imagine most people feel the same way... Is this too much to ask?

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Brotato Broth posted:

If it's running, moc doesn't seem to recognize it:

code:
$ jackd -d coreaudio & mocp -D
[1] 39802
jackd 0.124.1
loading driver ..

Loading plugins from /usr/local/Cellar/moc/2.5.0/lib/moc/decoder_plugins...
Loading plugin libmp3_decoder...
OK
Running the server...

FATAL_ERROR: No valid sound driver!

FATAL_ERROR: Server exited!

Shameful self-quoting, could use some assistance.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Has anyone used Duplicate Annihilator for Aperture, or any other comparable piece of software to get rid of duplicates in their Aperture libraries? I'm trying to get everything assembled in a sane fashion before Photos comes out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Has anyone used Duplicate Annihilator for Aperture, or any other comparable piece of software to get rid of duplicates in their Aperture libraries? I'm trying to get everything assembled in a sane fashion before Photos comes out.

I don't know about your question, but are you actually thinking of switching to Photos from Aperture? Photos seems like a watered down solution meant for people who shoot JPEGs and probably use Instagram filters. I'm actually planning to switch to Lightroom. What makes Photos compelling for an Aperture user? I got the email from Apple today too and laughed at it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

Uh how does 1password relate to his problem at all besides him mentioning it in passing.

I misread. That's all.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

mike- posted:

All I want is for excel on Mac to work just like it does in windows and I imagine most people feel the same way... Is this too much to ask?

Apparently not. This actually feels like a proper port, and not some weird garbage app that you can't pass files between Windows and Mac on.

perhonen
May 7, 2007
You can tell it's a real port because now Onedrive for Business is now equally terrible on both Windows and OS X.

On a serious note it looks like if you enable the developer mode in excel, it lets you use addins, including the analysis toolpak. Is that new for OS X?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pivo posted:

I don't know about your question, but are you actually thinking of switching to Photos from Aperture? Photos seems like a watered down solution meant for people who shoot JPEGs and probably use Instagram filters. I'm actually planning to switch to Lightroom. What makes Photos compelling for an Aperture user? I got the email from Apple today too and laughed at it.

I am. I mainly use Aperture for organization as it handled the amount of pictures I have (about 300GB) better than iPhoto did, but not really to do any kind of deep editing. I just use it as a nice dumping ground, essentially, and Photos looks like it'll handle that use case better. I also like the integration with iCloud and my iPhone, which is where I shoot 95% of pictures nowadays anyways, and being able to easily share stuff with my wife.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

DigitalRaven posted:

Dotbot makes keeping dot files (and all related stuff like vim plugins) up-to-date into a cinch. If you're already using github (or a similar external upstream), it's a no-brainer. If you're not using github but are in a terminal enough to worry about dotfile consistency, start using github.

Also, I'm assuming everyone using Terminal with any frequency uses iTerm2 already. If not, start.

I'm moving that way. How do you put dot files in a git repository without the rest of the home directory ending up there? A big rear end .gitignore file?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

I'm moving that way. How do you put dot files in a git repository without the rest of the home directory ending up there? A big rear end .gitignore file?

just only git add your dot files

or keep them in a 'dotfiles' repo if you really want to git add \* and commit a script that copies them over to ~ in the same repo

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Stick them in a subdirectory that uses github as a remote, then link the dotfiles to the right places. It's much neater than making your home directory into a repo and only adding a handful of files, and makes things like git status more tolerable.

F'rex, this is what I did before using dotbot (sub in your own essential dotfiles): set up the git repo, move your dotfiles into the git repo, symlink your dotfiles back into place (so future changes made in the repo are mirrored automatically), make an install script that does just that for setting up on a new system.

code:
mkdir ~/git/dotfiles
cd ~/git/dotfiles
git init

mv ~/.bashrc ./bashrc
mv ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
mv ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
mv ~/.vim ./vim

ln -s bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s vim ~/.vim ./vim

cat <<EOT >>install.sh
#! /usr/bin/env bash
rm ~/.bashrc
rm ~/.zshrc
rm ~/.vimrc
rm ~/.vim
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vim ~/.vim ./vim
EOT

git add .
git commit -m "First set of dotfiles"

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

DigitalRaven posted:

Stick them in a subdirectory that uses github as a remote, then link the dotfiles to the right places. It's much neater than making your home directory into a repo and only adding a handful of files, and makes things like git status more tolerable.

F'rex, this is what I did before using dotbot (sub in your own essential dotfiles): set up the git repo, move your dotfiles into the git repo, symlink your dotfiles back into place (so future changes made in the repo are mirrored automatically), make an install script that does just that for setting up on a new system.

code:
mkdir ~/git/dotfiles
cd ~/git/dotfiles
git init

mv ~/.bashrc ./bashrc
mv ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
mv ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
mv ~/.vim ./vim

ln -s bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s vim ~/.vim ./vim

cat <<EOT >>install.sh
#! /usr/bin/env bash
rm ~/.bashrc
rm ~/.zshrc
rm ~/.vimrc
rm ~/.vim
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vim ~/.vim ./vim
EOT

git add .
git commit -m "First set of dotfiles"

I literally just vomited. Why not just copy them with the cp command instead of using mv which destroys the original file? Then you create symbolic links to link back? Disgusting. There is a lot of unnecessary typing in there as well. All around, just bad... I don't understand why you'd want to relocate your actual dotfiles out of ~/ and then smlink them back.. seems utterly pointless, and honestly you're just making a mess out of home.

If you're going to add it to a new system, why not just scp? You can EVEN set up your ~/git/dotfiles/ folder as if it is your home folder, cd into your home folder, start sshd on your machine that you are transferring from, cd to your home dir, and then

code:
scp -r you@192.168.1.x:/home/you/git/dotfiles/ .
if it's on the same computer, it's even easier, again assuming you are entering this command in $HOME:

code:
cp -r ~/git/dotfiles/ .
This way you don't completely destroy the UNIX nature of your system and fill $HOME with rediculously redundant smlinks.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

nosl posted:

I literally just vomited. Why not just copy them with the cp command instead of using mv which destroys the original file? Then you create symbolic links to link back? Disgusting. There is a lot of unnecessary typing in there as well. All around, just bad... I don't understand why you'd want to relocate your actual dotfiles out of ~/ and then smlink them back.. seems utterly pointless, and honestly you're just making a mess out of home.

I'm sorry you're an idiot who doesn't understand source control or symlinks.

I mean, really? SCP? How stupid do you have to be to think it's even vaguely comparable to SVN, let alone git?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

why not do what pivo suggested and only add the files you want to the commit?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I really don't get the necessity of linking them either. Think about it like a real software project. git has the canonical version, but you still have to 'push to production' (or whatever your new age hipster boss decides to call it this 'sprint'). In that case it'd just be copying the files over... Also then you can modify the files for system-specific stuff without modifying your repo.

I THINK WE MAY BE OVERTHINKING THIS GUISE

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

You're badly missing the point and are the one who sounds really stupid.

Pivo posted:

I really don't get the necessity of linking them either. Think about it like a real software project. git has the canonical version, but you still have to 'push to production' (or whatever your new age hipster boss decides to call it this 'sprint'). In that case it'd just be copying the files over... Also then you can modify the files for system-specific stuff without modifying your repo.

The point is to keep your environment in sync to avoid having a bunch of host-specific, slightly different rc files all over the place. If you need to add something for the host that you're on, you add it to your repo. If it's a change that you only want on a certain OS or class of hosts, you wrap some logic around that in your rc and commit it. If it's a real unique snowflake situation, you add a line to the rc to source a ~/.bash.local file that lives outside of source control.

The problem with just sourcing a bash.local that lives outside of a VCS is that you give up all the benefits like, y'know, being able to play on a dev branch, rollback, and see commit messages. So just do everything in a repo and symlink it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Or just have your home directory shared between all your hosts because gently caress it, we do it live.

Honestly we're way overthinking this and it's way off-topic for this thread. The reality is that if you need version control for your environment settings, the way you do it is going to depend heavily on your own workflow. There are a million ways to do it.

Isn't it Friday? I'm a few beers in, you should be too.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm sorry you're an idiot who doesn't understand source control or symlinks.

I mean, really? SCP? How stupid do you have to be to think it's even vaguely comparable to SVN, let alone git?

Strawman.

I don't think it's remotely similar, I'm saying there's no reason to use git or svn when you're just moving files from machine-to-machine. Why use a revision control system meant for large coding projects for your dotfiles? Makes no sense. That's why I suggested ssh or just cp.

I don't understand symlinks? How long have you been using UNIX? Why relocate everything else to a git dir, put your dotfiles on the web, pull updates from github or your git repo, and use a symbolic link back to $HOME when you can just.. you know... host it yourself on your own server, preserving your $HOME structure and simply copy it over your local network, back to $HOME, recursively?

But then again, I was sort of a dumbass for using 'git,' as the dir name in the example when trying to suggest not using git (although I was simply trying to follow your syntax after skimming your post)... I understand how git and SVN work (the former is better than the latter in my opinion, but that's just opinion).

Also, if you'll actually dig into my post and read what I actually posted, you'll see I posted a local example as well, in other words, advocating that the poster simply keep everything on his own local network and keeps it simple, rather than making a loving git repo for his dotfiles and rape his $HOME just to symlink everything else back, so it's completely sensitive to any fuckups in his git repo.

Using git or svn here is not the answer, period.

Pivo posted:

My point exactly. But hey, whatever makes you use the most symlinks and puts all your dotfiles on a git repo, amirite?

nosl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 7, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Is there a VLC/MKV player that can run from a flash driver without requiring any installation? It's for a friend and I'm not really sure what to try to find for Mac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd say the vast majority of small OS X applications (like media players) can run from a flash drive without anything special. VLC, MPlayerX, etc.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'd say the vast majority of small OS X applications (like media players) can run from a flash drive without anything special. VLC, MPlayerX, etc.

Awesome thank you. I know jack poo poo about Mac OS X and won't be able to test this before I give it to them so I just want to be sure. I just found VLC player has a Mac version and it looks like it's stand-alone so I think that will do the trick.

Greatly appreciate the quick response!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Neat. I revived an old favorite, and bought another two seats for New Audio Technologies' Spatial Sound Card, so I could have virtual surround for my headphones again. Only it seems someone there hosed up, because their virtual sound card redirection kernel extension is signed with --resource-rules, which was obsoleted by 10.9.5 and 10.10. So it won't load and therefore work at all without me enabling kext dev mode, at least until I get them to fix their poo poo.

They still haven't fixed their software distribution system, either. Basically, you have an account on their store, and it contains all of the licenses for every single product you've ever purchased from them. I accidentally "purchased" the free product, Spatial Audio Game Engine, which is a spatial sound enhanced port of Doom 3, which happened to require the (broken) non-Mac App Store version of Doom 3 to work.

Guess what? When you go to download your software from NAT, they don't let you pick and choose individual software packages or your individual license files to download. Instead, they generate a new installer on the fly, every loving time, that contains every loving piece of software you have a license for, and package every one of your licenses into the installer automatically. This generator takes about 20 minutes each time, and then the download is about 600MB because of the Doom 3 thing.

And every time you add a new license to a product, you have to generate and download a new installer.

They also license in two methods. Either you can use two seats to license any generic USB flash drive as a dongle, which means that you have to have that flash drive plugged in the whole time you're using the software, or you can use one seat for a specific machine. And Boot Camp counts as a second machine, if you want to use the Windows version of the software on the same machine.

End of rant, sorry.