Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Honestly I'm not too concerned about losing Pro Guitar because I feel like Rocksmith has handled that particular thing better. Losing keys is a bit of a bummer, I thought RB3's pro key layout worked pretty well, but I honestly didn't play them all that much and whenever I'd play with a group and keys were added to the mix it would greatly decrease the number of songs we had available to the point where we just started ignoring the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

Well this is a case where the songs are the game, more or less. It's way different than people saying "I'm stoked for a Crazy Taxi remake but only if that Offspring song is in it!"

There are millions of songs and if a song i like isn't included in rock band 4 then I will move on and find other songs that I like.

And if I paid for that song previous welp I guess it's like a jukebox that finally stopped letting me re play songs for free.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of songs, have they confirmed any tracks for the game yet? My favorite part of the lead up to a new rhythm game (I'm so happy I can say that again! :woop:) is scraping together the tracklist from leaks and interviews.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I am glad they are making a new engine, although the crowbarred in additions were nice that was a big disappointment for RB3 with me, it seemed like the old one was stretched beyond its capabilities.

However I don't really want to buy another system to get access to old DLC, and I still have 100s of songs I never payed much attention on my 360. A new rock band is very much a "wait and see" thing for me, if I really wanted more rock band in the last few years it was always sitting there on my shelf, I just chose to play other things.

And on a personal level, in the time since rock band 1 came out pretty much everyone got married and had kids and I don't have enough people to make rock band fun hanging out at my house anymore, we all got old.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Laserface posted:

Keys are for Dorks.

Keys are for $8, four months post-launch.

ixnay posted:

The new DLC they've put out this year has harmonies but not keys, so I would guess that they will keep doing harmonies.

I wonder if they'll do the same thing as Singstar and let people use phones as mics instead of having to plug in a bunch of microphones.
HMX has talked a bit so far about wanting to expand the current vocals engine, to work with both the people who can sing along and the people who just scream the words and don't know what they're doing at all. Hopefully HMX knows what they're doing and the current, robust vocals engine, which has been continuously refined for almost ten years, counting HMX's development of the original Karaoke Revolution games, isn't going to be tossed out in favor of some kind of everyone-wins, Wii Music type bullshit.
Also I think I recall the designers lamenting a few years ago about how badly they wanted to put in the ability for the singer to sing along to guitar solos, but couldn't do it due to time constraints. Here's their chance!

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 6, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sellouts posted:

There are millions of songs and if a song i like isn't included in rock band 4 then I will move on and find other songs that I like.

And if I paid for that song previous welp I guess it's like a jukebox that finally stopped letting me re play songs for free.
It's an insanely generous deal we're getting, yes. It's just that Harmonix themselves have pushed a "library" mentality with these games, which became a defining quality that set them apart from Guitar Hero when the spin-offs started rolling out.

They certainly don't owe us anything beyond the content we purchased working on the device we purchased it for. And if people want to approach an RB game as more of a soundtrack to play through, that's cool. But when it comes time to move away from a "platform" (as HMX have defined it) in RB3, of course people are gonna evaluate what they can take with them to decide if the investment is worth it.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2015

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm on board for this as soon as they announce the first re-released DLC pack is Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood. Absolutely the best pack they ever released for the previous generations games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ixnay posted:

They're talking about sticking with RB4 for 5 or more years and adding to it with updates and expansions

Sold. Every current complaint may be addressed, and that was all I wanted out of RB3. I'm still planning on maintaining my customs though - those guys really made a great game incredible. Hope they inspired HMX!

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
This forum is so weird. The way that it's just understood when you start a new thread and go from there. What was wrong with the old thread?

In any case, all my predictions came true. Sucks to lose keys, but I'll live. I'm interested to see what they do with more ram, more processing power, and arguably less to contend with at any one point on screen if there's no pro anything playing.

For those asking which would be a better platform for RB purposes: Xbox One.

Harmonix has much more experience with Xbox than with Playstation. If you watched the PAX Amplitude Demo, they even said that this was their first foray into PS4 and they've had to learn a lot. Compare that to Fantasia and Dance Central (and others?) that they've been working on Xbox One since virtually day one.

Obviously if you already have a library on a console, I would recommend sticking to that family. But if you've got neither and are making a decision now, I would say Xbox One.

I also thought RB4 would never happen, but I'm glad I got the Xbox One for Forza Horizon 2. Now it's just buying the Band in the Box when it's out. Already signed up for pre-order.

The Year 20XX
Mar 26, 2008

Minimal typos.
Microsoft should send Harmonix a cake or something since they just single-handedly sold me on an Xbox One.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I think the novelty of music games has worn off to the point that RB4 wouldnt be a draw to get people over to play plastic-fake-band-for-music like Rockband was back in the day.

Guess I can finally sell my 360 and beatles drums/guitar.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The more I think about this the more I realize they're going to have to make this game loving spectacular for me to buy into the current generation (and a PS4 at that) and likely new hardware. Like, Woodstock '94 is playable at release spectacular. My PS3 still works and I hadn't thought about Rock Band in a long time despite sitting next to all my instruments on a daily basis.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sold. Every current complaint may be addressed, and that was all I wanted out of RB3. I'm still planning on maintaining my customs though - those guys really made a great game incredible. Hope they inspired HMX!

I kind of enjoy the value we get per song for the retail copies though. All three games had 58, 84, and 83 tracks respectively, though Lego Rock Band had 45.

I'm fine with ditching the yearly retail release as long as we can get huge discounts on tracks instead of paying $2 for every song.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm super excited for the new game. I'll still have to keep my 360 around for customs too, though. Traditional RB DLC has too many critical gaps that are likely to never be filled. Although I'd love to be proven wrong and throw lots of money their way.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I have a love/hate relationship with this news. On one hand, I loved the Rock Band series and sunk close to $1,000 into it over the course of RB1/RB2/RB3, peripherals, and DLC. On the other hand, the Xbone is poo poo and I don't think I'd get the same value from RB4 if I got it on PS4 and couldn't bring over my library. I think both "next-gen consoles" are pretty poo poo, the Xbone being the shittiest, but RB4 at least gives you a reason to think it over.

Gonna have to wait and see what they do with it. I can't justify buying an Xbone for one game, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO HARD HMX?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna quote myself from the last thread and say that losing keys really, really sucks. Queen, Billy Joel, The Doors, a lot of songs worked incredibly well with keys. Yeah, it sucked when you picked random and got to hit one button for a whole song, but it still added to the song and made it feel fuller, and it honestly kicked rear end when it wanted to.

Here's hoping they have RB3/RB4 releases for DLC. Probably not gonna happen, though, but I can dream.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The only thing that makes me pause about getting an XBone for this is hardware backwards compatibility. You can pry my wooden Strats from my cold dead hands.

Also, where the hell were all you TFFers in the last thread? :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What are you talking about? I'm not seeing any TFFers.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
This may make me buy a Xbone. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the features seem awesome enough to leave keys and customs behind.

Rastor posted:

I understand why not dealing with the Pro Guitar stuff, but why get rid of keys? Is it just a matter of the percentage of the total library that had keys parts?

Maybe they didn't want to deal with all instruments mode again?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

This may make me buy a Xbone. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the features seem awesome enough to leave keys and customs behind.

Maybe they didn't want to deal with all instruments mode again?

I'm not sure about PS4 but I think Xbone can naitivley support something like 8 different controllers being hooked up to it, unless I'm completely misremembering. So all instruments mode wouldn't actually be a problem this generation.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TrojanNemo posted:

This forum is so weird. The way that it's just understood when you start a new thread and go from there. What was wrong with the old thread?

An old version of the forums software couldn't handle threads beyond a certain size. Now, it's part of the culture.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm not sure about PS4 but I think Xbone can naitivley support something like 8 different controllers being hooked up to it, unless I'm completely misremembering. So all instruments mode wouldn't actually be a problem this generation.

Except all instrument mode isn't necessary anymore regardless of the amount controllers the consoles can support since RB4 is back to three instruments and the vocalist(s). :haw:

Oh. :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kirios posted:

What are you talking about? I'm not seeing any TFFers.

What's a Tee Eff Eff

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Gonna quote myself from the last thread and say that losing keys really, really sucks.

Good thing we didn't? If RB4 is the platform they really want it to be, there's no reason they couldn't patch in keys and pro mode. They are making concessions to get the game out this year.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Still a lot of questions, but this is a pretty great announcement.

If the last-gen DLC isn't all available at once anyway, I'll probably just switch over from 360 to PS4 and re-buy it piece by piece as it comes available. Hopefully I can get a few bucks for my 360 guitar/drums.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Good thing we didn't? If RB4 is the platform they really want it to be, there's no reason they couldn't patch in keys and pro mode. They are making concessions to get the game out this year.

Well it's not gonna be in the game at launch, and we have no guarantee that they'll patch it in later. So yeah, out the gate, we'll have no keys support, unless people get really vocal about it now and convince them to include it in the game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Please bring back the crowd singing along that was my favorite

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lessail posted:

Please bring back the crowd singing along that was my favorite

A good and correct opinion.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I haven't seen this audio interview posted in the thread yet. From the way they talk about it I would say expect a smaller, more boutique product. Don't expect the massive juggernaut that the last music games push was.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/harmonix-talks-rock-band-4-avoiding-another-plasti/1600-1156/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's harder to find songs with good keys parts than you'd think. Sure we got a lot of great stuff where varied keyboard parts are front and center of the music (Doors, Queen and so on), but for every one there seem to be two or three songs where you play the same three chords over and over for the whole song (Bob Marley), or you only play a simple hook during the chorus or guitar solo (a lot of on-disc songs), or you get some synth-based tracks where the other instruments suffer (the bass part of Obsession springs to mind). And of course you can't release songs without keys parts anymore because you've made the keys thing the standout feature of your game and people will get angry when they buy a keyboard controller and don't get DLC for it every week.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Agreed. I couldn't be happier about their decisions regarding keys and pro guitar/bass. Actually, pretty much everything is exactly what I would have hoped for in a new game.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
This question will require a lot of words for what I hope is a straightforward question.

I'm Canadian but I live in Australia. When i moved to Australia, I brought with me my region 1 copy of RB1 and purchased all my downloadable content from my Canadian Playstation Network account.

Does this mean that, when rock band is released, I'll need to purchase an American/Canadian version of the game to have my DLC work or will an Australian version of the game be able to read/play my DLC purchased in the Canadian store? I know that DLC needs to be purchased in the same region as the game region but this is DLC purchased for a different game (and different console) so I don't know what the rules would be in the case.

Not having to import an American version of the game would be swell (though complete versions of Rock Band 2 and 3 werent even released in Australia until months/year after Canada so I wound up having to import region 1 versions anyway...)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Serrath posted:

This question will require a lot of words for what I hope is a straightforward question.

I'm Canadian but I live in Australia. When i moved to Australia, I brought with me my region 1 copy of RB1 and purchased all my downloadable content from my Canadian Playstation Network account.

Does this mean that, when rock band is released, I'll need to purchase an American/Canadian version of the game to have my DLC work or will an Australian version of the game be able to read/play my DLC purchased in the Canadian store? I know that DLC needs to be purchased in the same region as the game region but this is DLC purchased for a different game (and different console) so I don't know what the rules would be in the case.

Not having to import an American version of the game would be swell (though complete versions of Rock Band 2 and 3 werent even released in Australia until months/year after Canada so I wound up having to import region 1 versions anyway...)

I imported Rockband 1 to Australia and imported all the songs to my aus copy of Rockband 3 with no problem.

All my DLC from the U.S. Store worked fine

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Will the power of the XboxOne finally give us guitar straps?

edit

zimbomonkey posted:

I bet they won't bring along the light kit :/

They'd better, I've got two of them and a jug of oil waiting :ohdear:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 6, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
edit, dp

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I'm sort of hoping that since we have to download new files that they'll tack on Harmony support on the pre RB3 stuff. That'd be nice.

RB3's tracks will prob be quick DLC if there's no import option.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Serrath posted:

Does this mean that, when rock band is released, I'll need to purchase an American/Canadian version of the game to have my DLC work or will an Australian version of the game be able to read/play my DLC purchased in the Canadian store?
Well, the most accurate answer is "no one knows yet" but let's try and make an educated guess.

As I understand it the DLC for RB4 will be new DLC - Rock Band 4 won't read old DLC on your system, and you're not just going to log in the old Rock Band DLC store and download from there. Otherwise they wouldn't need to make it available over time - it would all be right there. Presumably the new DLC store will look for associated old DLC data on your account to determine what new DLC you're allowed to download for free. So you'll most likely need to use your Canadian account for that. Can't see how it would work otherwise, really. And if an Australian copy of RB3 can use DLC from the US marketplace, it should work the same way for 4 - you'd have RB4 DLC on your system, "purchased" with your Canadian account, and any account on the same system can access it using the Australian copy of RB4.

I wonder if whatever they're doing to enhance the experience the way they said will be something in the engine or in the track data. If they can retroactively apply it to old tracks, that would seriously dampen anyone's ability to change platforms without losing too much.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

We Are The 5.9%!

:toot:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the first line that piques my interest :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I dunno, half saying they own an xboxone seems pretty unlikely.