Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

Early, but this is the obvious choice for quote of the day, "How many of you have got wolves in your district? None. None. Not one. We've got 79 congressmen sending you a letter, they haven't got a drat wolf in their whole district. I'd like to introduce them in your district. If I introduced them in your district, you wouldn't have a homeless problem anymore." ~ Rep. Don Young (R-AK).

Hahahaha what the gently caress.

CommieGIR posted:

"Throw the poor to the wolves" a Christian Republican.

You gotta make with what you have when you don't have lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

CommieGIR posted:

"Throw the poor to the wolves" a Christian Republican.

No you've got it backwards, it's "throw wolves at the poor". Presumably with some sort of comically oversized slingshot system, because manually hucking a wolf at the indigent is too much effort.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress.

You gotta make with what you have when you don't have lions.

So wheres that list of 79 so we can see if there are in fact wolves in their district?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What about moose? Do they prefer to impale poors or wolves?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Edminster posted:

No you've got it backwards, it's "throw wolves at the poor". Presumably with some sort of comically oversized slingshot system, because manually hucking a wolf at the indigent is too much effort.

What if they're wolf pups :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edminster posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

So wheres that list of 79 so we can see if there are in fact wolves in their district?

Here you go.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Give them to the kids and hope they grow up to become hats or something like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

d'awwww

Why are baby wild animals so cute

Like seriously what evolutionary advantage is it to us to find, say, a bear cub adorable and cuddly

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Personally I think the Democrats oughta change their symbol from the Donkey to the Moose. Their horns are as sharp as tusks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Early, but this is the obvious choice for quote of the day, "How many of you have got wolves in your district? None. None. Not one. We've got 79 congressmen sending you a letter, they haven't got a drat wolf in their whole district. I'd like to introduce them in your district. If I introduced them in your district, you wouldn't have a homeless problem anymore." ~ Rep. Don Young (R-AK).

I just came here to post this because hoooooly gently caress

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gah no states listed. First guy represents Tucson, AZ though and they're trying to reintroduce wolves in that part of AZ so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

d'awwww

Like seriously what evolutionary advantage is it to us to find, say, a bear cub adorable and cuddly

Well, wolves are so cute and cuddly we started adopting them 8k years ago and now have puppies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All baby animals have the same general characteristics and distortions from their adult form. You find one baby mammal cute, you find them all cute.

In all fairness that guy isn't saying the homeless should be fed to wolves, he's saying that wolves should be removed from the endangered species list so that there are more legal measures that can be taken against them and used a graphic example of what they'll do of their own free will when not managed properly. He just could have worded it a hell of a lot better.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
In case anyone forgot, Don Young is also the "wetbacks" guy.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

haveblue posted:

All baby animals have the same general characteristics and distortions from their adult form. You find one baby mammal cute, you find them all cute.

In all fairness that guy isn't saying the homeless should be fed to wolves, he's saying that wolves should be removed from the endangered species list so that there are more legal measures that can be taken against them and used a graphic example of what they'll do of their own free will when not managed properly. He just could have worded it a hell of a lot better.

I don't get that at all from the quote. Pretty sure he's just at Don Young default rear end in a top hat setting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

d'awwww

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness#Biological_function_of_cuteness

quote:

Konrad Lorenz argued in 1949 that infantile features triggered nurturing responses in adults and that this was an evolutionary adaptation which helped ensure that adults cared for their children, ultimately securing the survival of the species. Some later scientific studies have provided further evidence for Lorenz's theory. For example, it has been shown that human adults react positively to infants who are stereotypically cute. Studies have also shown that responses to cuteness—and to facial attractiveness in general—seem to be similar across and within cultures.[7] In a study conducted by Stephan Hamann of Emory University, he found using an fMRI, that cute pictures increased brain activity in the orbital frontal cortex.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spun Dog posted:

I don't get that at all from the quote. Pretty sure he's just at Don Young default rear end in a top hat setting.

I got that from the rest of the linked article. I have no doubt he's an rear end in a top hat who says stuff like that all the time but there's no need to put words in his mouth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Obviously the endangered species act allows stuff like that to happen. The Florida Panther is critically endangered but mountain lions in other parts of the country do have population control programs in effect. (Nature's population control is for them to starve to death due to a lack of food and starving lions will happily eat humans)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spun Dog posted:

Well, the quote is intentionally anti-wolf, so at least it implies that having all your homeless devoured by wolves would be a bad thing. That said the fact that his mind leapt there is indicative, too -- he's assuming that everyone thinks of the homeless as a "problem," etc.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

We know that's what he's talking about but it's more funny to joke about him saying wolves should eat poor people.

Cute and cuddly did help domesticate dogs. Thus we got the corgi.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

haveblue posted:

I got that from the rest of the linked article. I have no doubt he's an rear end in a top hat who says stuff like that all the time but there's no need to put words in his mouth.

I read the article too, sure it was in the context of taking them off the endangered species list, but he just can't help threatening homeless people on that unrelated topic. Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Even better knowing that, yes, AK has wolves, but we also have a huge homeless problem that Young's Republican policies exacerbate.

Why haven't the wolves helped here, Don?!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

site posted:

Even better knowing that, yes, AK has wolves, but we also have a huge homeless problem that Young's Republican policies exacerbate.

Sounds like you need more wolves.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

e: god damnit beaten twice

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

site posted:

Those are outdoorsmen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

d'awwww

I think it's to make it easier for another mother to take them in if they're abandoned. Probably not right in the least, but I swear I remember hearing it somewhere :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is the 2nd anniversary of Rand Paul's filibuster where he warned us that the federal government might one day use drones to find out who's sending letters to our mailboxes. :911:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chokes McGee posted:

I think it's to make it easier for another mother to take them in if they're abandoned. Probably not right in the least, but I swear I remember hearing it somewhere :v:

Ok I clearly didn't express myself well.

I understand why it's an advantage to be found adorable. I understand why the bear cub is better off being cute.

What I don't understand is why it's to the viewer's advantage to find things adorable. "Oh hay let's cuddle that bear cub it's so cute" is not a survival strategy!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I understand why it's an advantage to be found adorable. I understand why the bear cub is better off being cute.

What I don't understand is why it's to the viewer's advantage to find things adorable. "Oh hay let's cuddle that bear cub it's so cute" is not a survival strategy!

maybe theres no advantage or disadvantage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like why do you think there has to be a reason for finding things cute?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

It is species adaptive to find your own species' young cute. We find baby animals cute because their "cuteness markers" are the same as baby humans.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Gah no states listed. First guy represents Tucson, AZ though and they're trying to reintroduce wolves in that part of AZ so...

Semi-related, but as someone who currently lives in downtown Tucson, yeah, I'd say we have a massive homeless problem. The intersection of Congress and Grenada has more or less a permanent tent-city. That's ridiculous! Of course, when I call it a "problem" I think it's different than when other people refer to a "homeless problem". Every time I pass them I think "It's a huge problem. We should get some of these people the mental help and care they need and the rest of them should get the shelter and opportunity they need." and apparently some other people think the "problem" is that they exist, so "feed em to wolves".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

forbidden lesbian posted:

like why do you think there has to be a reason for finding things cute?

quote:

“There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as in religion," said he, leaning with his back against the shutters. "It can be built up as an exact science by the reasoner. Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its colour are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Of course, Holmes was wrong there, because the beauty of flowers serves an evolutionary purpose -- it attracts bees, etc.

Though honestly the real reason is probably just that we're wired to find human babies cute and all mammal babies look roughly the same for purposes of those primal triggers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Of course, Holmes was wrong there, because the beauty of flowers serves an evolutionary purpose -- it attracts bees, etc.

Though honestly the real reason is probably just that we're wired to find human babies cute and all mammal babies look roughly the same for purposes of those primal triggers.

Konrad Lorenz argued that its an evolutionary advantage. So far brain studies show its entirely possible.

Feynman Series - Beauty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmbwczTC6E

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's a side effect of the aforementioned resemblance to our own offspring. And just about any honest parent will tell you that if humans didn't find kids adorable and loveable, infanticide would be a lot more common.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amanasleep posted:

It is species adaptive to find your own species' young cute. We find baby animals cute because their "cuteness markers" are the same as baby humans.

Then why are kittens and puppies cuter than babies?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernormal_stimulus

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cause they are fuzzy and learn not to poo poo themselves a helluva lot quicker. Is my guess anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because humans have been breeding them for maximum cuteness for thousands of years.

• Locked thread